2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
44 members (AmyL, Adam Reynolds, Ed Sutton, accordeur, 36251, CRNA66, Bellyman, BicBic, 9 invisible), 1,712 guests, and 251 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#368504 12/21/07 10:33 PM
T
OP Offline
T
The Insparation for this thread comes from something that was said to me. "If you are going to study pianists study Rubenstein and Horowitz they are very different but the same"

Well that wasn't quite verbatim but close enough. Anyhow my question to everyone is this: If you were going to pick one two or more pianists to study, who would you pick and why?

Piano Technology Student NBSS '09
L
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
L
If by study you mean listen, watch, and mimic the technique of pianists, then I would pick several.

I would pick Lang Lang to study because he is just such an enigma. His basic technique goes against most of which I've been taught to do (just looked at his octaves in Tchaikovsky's piano concerto which he has his wrists so very high). Studying his way of performing might also be good because he seems very VERY comfortable with playing in public.

I'd also like to study Ax. He has avoided the "spot-light" associated with a modern classical pianist. This guy has class, and a solid technique. His clarity is amazing.

Argerich is another pianist I'd like to learn more about. Her amazing technique and lively performances are phenominal.

Matt

T
T
Listen and watch yes, but mimic the technique of pianists by looking at their playing? I don't think that assists in furthering technique, since one pianist's hands will be different from the next and there's no guarantee that the solution to a particular piece will work for you. For example, Horowitz's 'flat fingers' technique is quite unusual and you won't see many people advocating it, though there's no denying his formidable talents.

I'm afraid I completely disagree when it comes to Lang Lang. I have yet to enjoy one of his performances or recordings (he played here recently and all I heard was a lot of banging accompanied by great flourishes of the arms; his Carnegie Hall CD was terrible). I find the gesticulating totally off-putting and a substitute for artistry.

L
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
L
Originally posted by timbo77:

I'm afraid I completely disagree when it comes to Lang Lang. I have yet to enjoy one of his performances or recordings (he played here recently and all I heard was a lot of banging accompanied by great flourishes of the arms; his Carnegie Hall CD was terrible). I find the gesticulating totally off-putting and a substitute for artistry.
I wasn't mentioning his playing at all, I've learned that I will start a war over that. I was just mentioning how comfortable he is when he perform... just like many other pianists. Sorry for the mix up.

T
T
wasn't wishing to start a war smile it's a contentious topic......

L
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
L
Indeed it is!

Moderated by  Brendan, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Online Jazz School this Sat w/Berklee piano prof
by Dfrankjazz - 05/09/24 06:37 PM
Duets
by SophiaB - 05/09/24 05:04 PM
Rubber/Silicone strip/dome durability
by YoRNieR - 05/09/24 03:31 PM
Digital piano purchase
by togs99 - 05/09/24 01:25 PM
Acquiring a clavinova
by samsonwilliams - 05/09/24 04:12 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,694
Posts3,353,480
Members111,825
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission