2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
68 members (Bostonmoores, Carey, AndyP, Bruce In Philly, 36251, c++, anotherscott, 1957, AlphaTerminus, 11 invisible), 767 guests, and 429 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Active Threads | Active Posts | Unanswered Today | Since Yesterday | This Week
Adult Beginners Forum Jump to new posts
Re: FP10 - speaker question Sebs 9 seconds ago
I don’t think being on a desk or stand will make a difference in sound. I don’t think it would have speakers on the bottom because then it would not sound ideal on any stand. I would also post this questions in the digital-pianos-electronic-pianos-synths-keyboards forum.
2 54 Read More
Digital Pianos - Electronic Pianos - Synths & Keyboards Jump to new posts
Re: Kawai Novus NV5 - Hands On Pi'ilani 6 minutes ago
Schismal - Thank you for your post.

How do you do this?

"I've run several VSTs back through the NV-5's internal speakers"?
280 49,802 Read More
Piano Forum Jump to new posts
Stories from behind the piano PhilipInChina 6 minutes ago
BBC World service:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/live:bbc_world_service
0 11 Read More
Re: Ivers and Pond Full Upright vs Steinway K52 P W Grey 15 minutes ago
What Ed has discussed is what I meant by SS "Achilles heel".

It has been determined definitely (by SS own admission in an advertisement back in the 20's or so) that they dipped their flanges into boiling paraffin oil. The idea was to "waterproof" them i.e. seriously handicap the hygroscopic action of the wood for greater stability through the seasons.

So did it work? Who knows? Maybe it made a difference. No one alive today can say. The big question is did they know when they did this that there was going a chemical reaction between the paraffin and any exposed brass or copper alloy (e.g. cut center pins and/or metal rail)? Or were they totally ignorant of this and it was simply an honest little booboo? One has to wonder considering that SS is virtually the only piano company on the planet with this problem.

Eventually they stopped the practice...precisely when I don't know. Evidently it was limited to just the flanges, not the hammershanks themselves or whippens, however in an upright treatment of the flanges puts the paraffin almost in direct contact with the center pins (as opposed to a grand which is indirect contact). This explains to me why SS uprights seem to suffer even more so (and aggressively) from verdigris than grands. But its still pretty bad in the grands too.

A surefire way to find out is to simply watch the rebound of the hammershanks. They should be free and instantaneous in the rebound. If they appear slow in any way...youve got verdigris (or steinwayitis as we say).

Peter Grey Piano Doctor
12 509 Read More
Re: Kawai Novus NV10 - Hands On frosas 34 minutes ago
Hi Helena,

I have owned an NV10 for 5 months, after owning a Yamaha C1 and then an Avantgrand N2 for the last 20 years. Buying the NV10 is the best decision I have made in my life. Hope you enjoy your NV10S!

Fernando
5,619 978,988 Read More
Re: Piano party 2022 Bulgaria PhilipInChina 1 hour ago
On horses as transport the local gypsies were racing horses last week. The amazing thing is that they were so doing on the main road.
34 2,333 Read More
Pianist Corner Jump to new posts
Re: Ties in Chopin Op. 62 #1 Mark_C 1 hour ago
Originally Posted by Sidokar
The Henle edition seems to notate the same way the slurs and the ties. In any case in the National Edition, they do make the difference between slurs and ties and in those bars they indicate slurs.....

From what I've seen, I don't think they show a difference. I'll put it this way: Those things that you consider to be ties and not slurs, how would they be written if they were slurs??

I would say they would be written the same way -- essentially.
Maybe what you mean is that the curved line going from top note to top note, rather than 'around the edges' of the top notes.
I don't consider that a clear distinction. I mean, if I were doing the typesetting, indeed I'd make the curved lines different according to whether I mean a tie or a slur (!) but I don't assume that music publishers do, nor that composers necessarily do.
7 138 Read More
Re: FP-90 volume problems choppin 1 hour ago
Moving the upper volume slider to max fixed things. Would not have thought of this in a million years.

Interesting how the slider interacts with the digital value. Playing the internal song leaving the slider at medium, and then jacking up the slider to max doesn't seem to do anything.

Thanks for the fix & explanation.
3 199 Read More
Re: Revisiting Yamahaa GHS action Ralphiano 1 hour ago
Originally Posted by EB5AGV
I don't know if it is me adapting fast to a lesser action or it is really not that bad in comparison to my most used keys. All in all, that MOX8 made my weekend! laugh

Jose

Is it possible that you have experienced a substantial advance in your pianistic abilities over that time? Perhaps you are now much better than then, and are now not so bothered by action differences.
10 519 Read More
Re: Charles Walter Wry Guy 1 hour ago
I played many pianos on my journey and after playing on the Charles Walter I knew it was the upright piano for me. That rich, warm sound was and is unlike any other I have played. This is a completely subjective sentiment, but I love my Walter. Mine is a 1997, so it is older than the one you are looking at, but 12 years is relatively young for a piano.

The Walter uprights are apparently built to very high standards of quality and craftsmanship, a bonus feature that I discovered when I had it checked out by a tech--he told me they are a pleasure to work on and built in such a way that they will last generations if properly cared for. Other knowledgeable folks here, like Rich above, have confirmed this for me.

$8k is perhaps a mite steep on the price, but that price point depends heavily on the particulars of the instrument you are looking at. If you are patient and shop around, you might can find one from the 1990s for ~$3k. But at that price it will probably be from a private seller, and you won't get the same prep work and assurances that you will get from a reputable dealer.

IMO, if you can afford it and the instrument speaks to you, you can't go wrong.
17 429 Read More
Re: Kawai CA93 vs Kawai CA67 Kawai James 1 hour ago
talamundele, comparing the two instruments:

CA93 core specs:
- RM3 Grand keyboard action (2-sensor, let-off, bass key counterweights, Ivory Touch)
- UPHI sound engine (EX concert grand sampling)
- 16 x 2 characters LCD display

CA67 core specs:
- Grand Feel II keyboard action (3-sensor, let-off, 88-key counterweights, Ivory Touch, longer keys/pivot)
- Harmonic Imaging XL sound engine (SK-EX/EX/SK-5/K-60 sampling)
- 128 x 64 pixel LCD display

If you're not concerned about speaker sound or output power, etc. the CA67 is undoubtedly a superior piano compared to the CA93.

However, as MacMacMac notes, you should try the instrument for yourself, in order to form your own judgement.

Kind regards,
James
x
4 154 Read More
Re: Roland FP30 Headphone/Line out hiss? Charles Cohen 2 hours ago
Originally Posted by Raf702
I appreciate your detailed explanation. And how about when I connect my Loudbox Mini 60w Acoustic Guitar Amp. Adjusting both the volume and gain to about 25% of 100%, I still experienced the same noise issue. And cranking it to 50% volume it becomes very pronounced.

I do understand most if not all speakers do have some minimal white noise/hiss. But in this case, the sound on the FP30 just doesn’t seem normal.

A question:

. . . When you're at the keyboard, in "playing position",
. . . with the volume level set as you normally have it,

. . . . . Is the white noise louder than the background room noise ?

If it is, you might have something worth correcting.

If it isn't, you have a problem that only occurs under 'test conditions'.

IMHO, those problems aren't usually worth worrying about, or fixing.
27 508 Read More
Re: Tweaking Solo Piano ??? PianoMan51 2 hours ago
The longer answer is multiple yeses. But different frequency ranges for different effects.

I have a Yamaha CP4 which has a five-band EQ on the front panel. I use this feature often when playing live. Adjust each slider to taste.

Low bass: use this to adjust the bass response. Even large concert grands have relatively little audio power below 60Hz. This level depends a lot on the room, speaker position and your speakers themselves. Don’t overdo this. When I play with an upright bass I drop the lows drastically. You can still hear all the bottom keys clearly, but the thinner tone doesn’t interfere with the upright bass as much. Of course you might want more low bass if you’re trying to cover for a bass with your piano. Too much = boomy left hand. Too little = anemic left hand.

The low-mids (150Hz or so) can adjust left hand tone, think ‘body or ‘warmth’. Especially important to make left hand chords sound full but not muddy. Plus or minus 3dB will make an enormous difference. Too much = muddy. Too little = cold/thin.

Mids: I don’t use often. Try it for yourself.

Upper-mids (4-7kHz) I use to dull or brighten the piano tone. This depends a lot on the setting. For an intimate sound lower this level. For louder venues, or for more extroverted music raise the brightness.

Highs: I don’t use this either. Great concert pianos don’t have much volume in the upper frequencies. Again, listen for yourself.
2 84 Read More
Re: Kawai ES920 VS Yamaha P515 Sweelinck 2 hours ago
Originally Posted by Frédéric L
@Sweelinck : if you press the pedal, each time you press a key, you use a polyphony voice, even if you press a key you have already hit before.

Then you can need use a 100 voice polyphony on a typical piece of music where you will use only a small subset of the 88 keys. (I get typically 120 on the Chopin’s Fantaisie Impromptue - 128 or 192 won’t change anything).

But if you reach the limit, a new key will stop one of the less loud note which typically remains unheard.
Originally Posted by Frédéric L
@Sweelinck : if you press the pedal, each time you press a key, you use a polyphony voice, even if you press a key you have already hit before.

Then you can need use a 100 voice polyphony on a typical piece of music where you will use only a small subset of the 88 keys. (I get typically 120 on the Chopin’s Fantaisie Impromptue - 128 or 192 won’t change anything).

But if you reach the limit, a new key will stop one of the less loud note which typically remains unheard.

I'm not aware that midi sends "I'm still sustained" messages for notes. Isn't a pedal off message what will stop the note from being sustained? I think you are still describing a polyphony limit of the sound engine, not the midi controller.
166 37,072 Read More
Re: Used Yamaha CF6 vs New Yamaha C3X or Kawai GX3 WinstonSmith 2 hours ago
Originally Posted by Sgisela
Winston, I would like to echo Jethro’s comments. You have a wonderful piano that everyone in the family really likes, and I think you got it at a reasonable price. I would not second guess the decision… just enjoy the piano!
That said, once the piano has settled in, I would consider talking to your technician about voicing possibilities… and I guess where I’d focus my energy would be on ensuring that the piano you have is as wonderful as it can be, rather than thinking about what could have been done with a different piano. But first give yourself some time to live with the piano, and give the piano some time to settle in.
Again, many congratulations!
Thank you.

Do you think the piano has more "settling" to do? I got a floor model, not a brand new out-of-the box one, that has been sitting in a showroom for a few years.
A technician came the other day to tune it, as a free tuning offered by the dealer.
157 6,189 Read More
Re: Yamaha CLP 575 VS Kawai Ca48 MacMacMac 2 hours ago
As you well know, my name is not **everyone**. I am MacMacMac, Shunner of Pianoteq, and Imperial Master of the Infinite Universe. smile
Originally Posted by EB5AGV
Originally Posted by MattLee
.... I have it connected to a computer and use everyone's favorite software, Pianoteq.
Hear @MacMacMac eek
3 167 Read More
Re: Pianos and hearing aids Rickster 2 hours ago
Originally Posted by 1927 Model R
Similar problem and solved it. Top of the line Phonacs a few years old both ears. Cracklings sound when playing my Baldwin Model R. Music program didn’t help. However no problem when playing my Yam P125. Something about the first attack of the hammer on string which we don’t get in my electronic piano may be the cause. Tried masking tape over the Phonac mikes and this helped. Next, the audiologist de sensitized the music program but not the general purpose program. Just a little. It worked! No more crackling or other weirdness in the music program and the music is much better sounding than with hearing aids removed. Hopes this helps someone. It was a big deal for me.

Hello, and welcome to Piano World!

I'm glad your audiologist was able to adjust your hearing aids in order to solve the issues you were having when playing your Baldwin R. I too have a Baldwin R, and I enjoy playing it, a lot!

My Phonaks are approaching 6 or 7 years old now, and I still like them, although it took a few adjustments from the hearing aid fitter. I can hear a lot better with them than without them. And, the sound I hear when I play my pianos is a good quality sound, considering my hearing handicap.

I keep getting letters and emails from the company I bought the hearing aids from wanting to sell me a new pair. The hearing aid fitter told me that hearing aids last about 5 years. Well, mine have outlasted that, and although they could go out anytime now, I suppose, they still work great. The last audiogram and adjustment I had was about 3 years ago, but I figure if I can hear OK with my hearing aids, I'll leave well enough alone.

I still suffer with tinnitus, but I've learned to focus my mind off the ringing and try to live with it. Thing is, when I play my pianos, I hear beautiful piano music, and not the abnormal ringing. smile

All the best!

Rick
39 6,939 Read More
Re: Where are the right notes? Sidokar Yesterday at 11:29 PM
Originally Posted by Adagiette
Thanks for responding, Sidokar. I wasn't really expecting anyone to solve this particular problem for me, rather asking where you look for answers in a similar situation, but here goes (one of these days I will learn how to include a picture of the actual score for such things). My new WTC II is Schirmer (Czerny, copyright date 1893). I'm not really sure what I printed from IMSLP. blush

Measure 34 (5 after first repeat sign), treble clef, alto part:
2nd 8th note is G flat in Schirmer, G natural in IMSLP version. I am assuming it should be the natural since it was not flatted previously and G is natural in the key signature.

Measure 57, treble clef:
4th 16th note is G natural in Schirmer, F natural in IMSLP. The F sounds right to me.

Measure 68, treble clef:
4th 16th note is B flat in Schirmer, A flat in IMSLP. The A flat sounds right to me.

Thanks for your help!

Ok. Your bar numbers are unhapilly incorrect. You are talking about bar 32, 55 and 66 as one does not count bars with an anacrusis.

I have both the New Henle and the Durr version which are the 2 reference version today. So it is G flat, F natural and A flat.

I would suggest you do not use the Czerny as it is a very old version, completely outdated by now. It is an interesting one as one of the earliest printed (the Schirmer is a reprint from the original Peters edition), but as a base for playing, it is not very reliable.

On Imslp you have at least 2 versions which are recent, the Durr and the Keller. In the old ones Bishoff or Kroll are good but being older, they may have some errors.

In the case of the wtc2, there are multiple sources and manuscripts, so any version is always a trade off between those. If a note seems peculiar, then you should check against a reference version. Then it is a question of understanding the harmonic context to decide if the note seems right.
4 134 Read More
Re: Which great contemporary composers are great pianists? bennevis Yesterday at 11:23 PM
Originally Posted by BDB
This question is like asking which unicorns are top racehorses.
The answer is, of course, the unicorns with the most corns.
25 566 Read More
Piano Tuner-Technicians Forum Jump to new posts
Re: Tuning a very flat piano? BDB Yesterday at 11:01 PM
Just as well. It is too much risk for a piano donation. Too many people want to avoid dumping fees by donating to organizations instead. That just transfers the costs to the organization.
10 701 Read More
Re: Kawai RX-3 2004 action drewhpianoman Yesterday at 10:48 PM
thanks terminaldegree - I am going to see/play piano thursday, so I will take some photos if I can't clearly identify the action.
8 167 Read More
Re: The best concert grand: Fazioli F278, Bosendorfer 280VC or D Withindale Yesterday at 10:32 PM
Originally Posted by Ppianissimo
Where you hit a series of notes in the bass ... the tones you excite ... are not just the fundamental, but a wild and impressive set of overtones at a relatively low register. This creates an almost-shaking sensation that is truly impressive.

In other instruments, say a Fazioli, the bass notes won't muddy the sound as much. But the instrument will also not impress as much soundwise either. The instrument will reproduce exactly as you intend it.

If someone can offer some good academic papers on the topics, I would be curious. The closest I came was this:
https://research.tue.nl/en/publications/operational-transfer-path-analysis-of-a-piano

There is no academic paper, as far as I knew, about the muddying of the sound the OP perceives. Likewise there is no paper about eliminating it by acoustically isolating the legs from the body. All we have are some observations and an educated guess about what happens.

When Leon McCawley strikes chords on his piano (in the video above) shock waves go along the strings to the bridge and into the soundboard. At the same time corresponding shock waves go into the frame. The vibrations in the frame combine with the vibrations in the soundboard to create the sound of the initial attack. Other vibrations from the frame find their way down the legs. At the castors some of these vibrations pass into the floor, but the rest of are reflected back up the leg into the frame. These reflected vibrations muddy the sound.

When Mark Swarzentruber strikes chords on his piano (also above) the sequence of events is the same except that Max Townshend's isolators absorb all the vibrations coming down the legs. This means there are no reflected vibrations to muddy the sound in the bass and other registers.

Leon McCawley's technician can go one better, by inserting felt punchings between the legs and the body. The air gap between the punchings will prevent vibrations from going down the legs. This will conserve acoustic energy across the board and enliven the treble as well as the bass. However the technician may have to adjust the voicing of some hammers not least in the treble.

It would be useful to do a spectral volume analysis of Leon McCauley's piano and others, with and without acoustic insulation. An academic paper describing the results would be very interesting. I think this would be a good basis for the research into rim and bridge termination materials William proposes.

PS This post is intended to end the hijacking of the OP's thread and bring it back on track !!!
37 2,206 Read More
Re: Opinions on the CA49 for classical piano music only ? GaiaImpact Yesterday at 10:19 PM
Thank you all for sharing your opinions on this topic with me. Really helps me getting somethings sorted in my Head !
As I previously mentioned I probably won’t use any VSTs or any functions other than the inbuild piano sound. And with the CA79 and the CLP745 I felt like these poweful speakersetups Where kinda Overkill for my 15squaremeter Appartement. So overall I feel quite confident right now ordering the CA49. I listend again to the samples via headphones and tomorrow I will again visit the store to finally make my decision.
I hope this Will be the last time for the Next years that I go to a music store.
Funny I had ONE DP for ten years and was happy with it and now within a year I had a CA79, KORG B2 and a CLP745 and none of them was really to my liking. But the CA49 is looking good right now and if it isn‘t I’ll probably quit looking for dps and maybe buy an acoustic.

Greetz Gaia
21 899 Read More
Re: Pronunciation .... lol Adagiette Yesterday at 08:24 PM
Originally Posted by cygnusdei
Originally Posted by Jun-Dai
One thing I find a bit funny in the UK is the occasional tendency to be "slightly" more authentic
Have you ever heard of Tar-zhay? ha

Do you mean that fabulous store with the red bulls-eye for its logo?
grin
26 371 Read More
Re: Meter Changes bennevis Yesterday at 08:14 PM
Originally Posted by BruceD
Originally Posted by bennevis
Is the score available or published? I'd like to have a 'look' at it.

The score was published by G. Schirmer, Inc. New York, copyright 1934. Full title: "Pequeña Danza Española" (Dance of Spain) for piano by José Iturbi. (Price, 50 cents in U. S. A. )
Thanks.
Looks like it's long been out of print. I found a used reprint for the equivalent of USD 17 here (including p&p), but for a 6-page short piece, that's exorbitant, so I think I'll wait until something cheaper turns up, as it always does........ whistle
17 468 Read More
Page 1 of 31 1 2 3 30 31
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Stories from behind the piano
by PhilipInChina - 09/21/21 10:30 PM
Tweaking Solo Piano ???
by DigitalMusicProduc - 09/21/21 06:32 PM
FP10 - speaker question
by Sunnek - 09/21/21 06:14 PM
Ties in Chopin Op. 62 #1
by Mark Alexander - 09/21/21 05:22 PM
Where are the right notes?
by Adagiette - 09/21/21 04:22 PM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums42
Topics209,228
Posts3,134,157
Members102,797
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | MapleStreetMusicShop.com - Our store in Cornish Maine

© copyright 1997 - 2021 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission