Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2.7 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
What's Hot!!
Mr. PianoWorld - the full interview
-------------------
European Tour for Piano Lovers
JOIN US FOR THE TOUR!
--------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
Find a Professional
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers

Advertise on Piano World

(ad)
Piano Buyer Guide
Piano Buyer Spring 2018
ad
Pierce Piano Atlas

Who's Online Now
74 registered members (AssociateX, apianostudent, 90125, Artur Gajewski, AprilE, Anticlock, 7uturu, 20 invisible), 1,313 guests, and 9 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Live Piano Venues
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Directory/Site Map
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords & Scales
Active Threads | Active Posts | Unanswered Today | Since Yesterday | This Week
Piano Forum
3 minutes ago
What does G2J mean?
2 39 Read More
Piano Forum
9 minutes ago
You can also just install a piano damp chaser.
6 67 Read More
Pianist Corner
9 minutes ago
Originally Posted by Mark_C
Thanks for the compliment, but in truth, it was pretty terrible.

(And I say that as someone with an inflated opinion of his own ability.) ha

Besides that I'm not that great, I was ill and sort of arm-injured at the time. I had gotten sick right after the 1st round, and while I was almost recovered by the semi-final, I had been too weak to practice in the interim. Really I should have withdrawn, and I would have, if not that I realized this might be my only chance ever to play in such an advanced round of such a high-level competition, I had so looked forward to it and didn't want to miss out on the chance. The reason I'm sort of smiling at the end is that I couldn't believe I had more-or-less survived the thing without utter disaster.

But thanks. smile

Thanks, for your reply -- as I now do completely understand your situation regarding that performance!

Here are my other comments regarding your 4th Ballade performance -- (as it now makes sense) --

[Was previously deleted by me but adding it here, again]

@Mark_C:

Wanted to add one observation and constructive criticism to your performance of the 4th Ballade and this is in regards to the very final four (4) measures of F-minor arpeggios preceding the four ending chords:

It is very easy to rush this passage (if we do not control our emotions at this moment in the piece) and in doing so clarity is lost in hearing the triplets and counting all of it correctly right down to the last low F-octave requires control of your playing. As I have been practicing this very passage and it sounds MUCH better when those triplets are more evenly measured and at a speed that you can hear without the downward arpeggio becoming one big blur of notes under the pedal.

Would be far easier for me to demonstrate this passage at the piano -- rather than attempting to explain it.

If we do not rush the music it generally always comes out a lot better in the end.

Hope this helps! smile
54 1,732 Read More
Adult Beginners Forum
14 minutes ago
It will come back quickly. I took lessons as a child and stopped right after high school ended as my college didnt offer piano classes (only as a private lesson which I availed myself for only 1 semester in my freshman year and couldnt keep up once my college courses took all my time). I just got back into piano 2 years ago when my husband and I bought a home and It had room for a grand piano. It took me a good 3 months to get my “fingers back” so to speak with respect to old repertoire (Beethoven sonatas, Chopin Waltzes) and like you, I want to learn so many pieces NOW..it is hard to force myself NOTto sight read certain music because the risk of learning to play it “wrong” is there (and then I have to spend weeks practicing to unlearn bad habits/technique).

Right now I have a teacher and from what he told me last week, he wants me to work on Etudes (Chopin/Scriabin) first before going to another major piece..i just wrapped up learning a Chopin Nocturne and a Tchaikovsky Seasons piece.I am pacing myself by only working with certain composers so I can learn their style more in depth. It might be worth doing this approach..say, maybe dedicate a montn to just doing Bach 2 and 3 part Inventions? Then another month on just Schubert works, then maybe jump to Mozart, then Brahms...? Or maybe break it down to Baroque composers for 1 month, Romantic composers the 2nd, then 20th century composers another month?
12 232 Read More
Piano Forum
19 minutes ago
You won't hear a lot of positive about Essex because only steinway sells them. What affiliations do these negative commenters have in the "shadows"?

In my opinion any new yamaha c series is superior to an Essex but they are also like $23k min. When searching budget under 10k used nothing came close to the used Essex I found at least after trying 30 different grands. If you can find a used C series that's newer for 10k its probably superior though assuming everything else being equal but that's going to be hard to find.

Steinway really did great at making a quality grand affordable. The best grand as a 3rd pick I tried was a used G2 for $7000. Forget the budget yamaha and kawai gl and gbk1 pianos, I've played better digitals but if I had to id rank gl10 over the gbk1 by a long shot.

Finally all this means nothing if you cant try the pianos. Humidity can wreck this kind of instrument and you just don't know the conditions of the piano until you play it and feel the action.
45 921 Read More
Piano Tuner-Technicians Forum
31 minutes ago
Thank you for your response, and on re-reading my post what I meant to say was "how do I replace the silk threads that hold the jack to the jack spring? A few of them have perished, and others appear to be lagging as a consequence of age. Is it a process of drilling out the existing ones and replacing?

The centre pin joint for connecting the jack to the wippen moves, but not freely. How does one loosen these?

Thank you for your patience and help.
2 20 Read More
Digital Pianos - Synths & Keyboards
57 minutes ago
And what is the polyphony when you play Pianiteq?
9 419 Read More
Piano Forum
58 minutes ago
If it works, is what you want and you are happy with it, what more is there to say.

In my limited experience such models are made down to a price. This is not good news for an owner down the line.
20 352 Read More
1 hour ago
If someone could make a video where the P515 is off and record the sounds it makes when it hits the bottom of the key, that would be awesome. I would test this piano at the store but none are in stock. It’s an online order and if the sound I hear from watching a video doesn’t match mine... I may have to get it returned/exchanged.

It’s almost like there is a small rattle or as if there are “sticky keys”. Remember, the piano is completely off and I’m pretending to play a song and obviously depressing the keys to the bottom. There is like a thud on bottoming out the key followed by a gentle “click” or “rattle”.
12 864 Read More
Adult Beginners Forum
1 hour ago
Originally Posted by Carey
Originally Posted by Jitin
Also half way through learning , eyes on me ( final fantasy 8), not sure where that ‘d be in grade system
I'll check it out.
Based on the solo piano arrangement I just viewed on youtube, Eyes on Me looks a tad easier than Clair de Lune.
35 359 Read More
Piano Forum
1 hour ago
This is a Chinese model Weber, made by Young Chang. Weber didn't start selling the Chinese models branded "Weber" until around 1998 or so. At that time, the Weber brand was still owned by Samsung, but made by Young Chang. Before then, they used the "Ridgewood" and "Sagenhaft" names for their Chinese made instruments. If it is playable, and not abused, I'd say it would be a no-brainer price.
6 278 Read More
Pianist Corner
1 hour ago
Originally Posted by johnstaf
I think that Chopin's opus 10 no. 2 is harder than the Godowsky. The hard part of the original is playing scale passages with 4 and 5 of the right hand. Moving these to 1 and 2 in the left hand makes it much easier. The considerable difficulty of the right hand in the Godowsky doesn't offset this.

Carlos Chavez did a left hand inversion of it that retains the 4 and 5 difficulty. He also did left hand inversions of four more of the Chopin etudes.
20 393 Read More
Pianist Corner
1 hour ago
Originally Posted by MarkEm
Liszt and Rachmaninov often get lumped together in the “virtuosity for the sake of it” group ...

I have heard this opinion / remark made many times before about Liszt & Rachmaninoff (in having written pieces that are perceived only as show pieces for technical ability) although I have to disagree since even the most difficult works of Liszt -- perhaps a "Transcendental" etude -- is already a brilliant composition from an innovative genius -- and, not just merely a show piece!

Both Liszt and Rachmaninoff have written very unique compositions of enduring quality.
46 1,075 Read More
Adult Beginners Forum
2 hours ago
Hi Keystring,

If it helps,I just tested running two Logitech cameras ( one, a C920, the other, a C510) in both Skype, and Zoom.us, and they worked perfectly, on a PC running Windows 10. Was able to easily switch between them.

I usually run two Microsoft Lifecam Studio cams, together with the Logitech C920 for online lessons, and they all play nicely together. (no external software required).

My favourite cam is the one I have mounted on an adjustable arm a few inches above the desk, so that I can slide an A4 sheet of paper beneath it to share scores/tabs/worksheets with students, so that they can see me point to any place, or write notes on the sheet in real time.
21 928 Read More
2 hours ago
Originally Posted by HSCrugby
"local" shop said they'll have the p515 in next week, and they will call as soon as it's in. That lets me let her "feel" it before we buy. The downside, it's about 100$ more than online, but the ability to test and support a local ish shop feels worth it. Especially since they said they'd help explain recording with it to her for that extra money. They also have a Roland fp90 so she can compare. Thanks for all the advice, even if you guys didn't help me justify a Chinese toy. 😂😂😂

Perhaps I am a bit more inclined or biased towards selecting the Yamaha P-515 since I own a Clavinova CLP-585 and both the action and sounds are very good. Have previously owned the Roland V-Piano and while it is an excellent keyboard in regards to all of the modeling parameters (including extended decay time and soundboard resonance) the key bed quality fell short as it did not have enough felt cushioning when playing "ff" or loudly. This became evident as the hard bottoming out jarred wrists and fingers as I played. I am not sure as to what the current Roland FP-90 would sound and feel like since I have not tried one.

I prefer my Clavinova as of now (being the best digital) although your daughter will have to make her own choice as it is all about what sounds and feels good -- in the end.

Have fun with the selection! grin
42 1,636 Read More
2 hours ago
Originally Posted by Haruki

I think it’s not that the hammer strikes the string twice, but that the hammer strikes the string once even though the key was pressed twice.
If the issue is bobbling hammers, it can be resolved with proper regulation (and even digital adjustment, depending on how the sensors are positioned). Doesn't sound like a digital/hybrid issue to me?
306 24,966 Read More
2 hours ago
Originally Posted by nadyac
Originally Posted by Maximillyan
[quote=nadyac]

For the sticky damper issue I saw a youtube video where a guy passes a flame over the damper wire (lol) to singe some material off the damper. I was nervous about igniting a flame inside my piano's action cavity but a girl's gotta do what a girl must do. Thankfully the flame thing actually worked! This is the video I used for reference on this: https://youtu.be/lQdF7GC0e9k

hi, nadyac. Is your name mean HOPE?
If it's problem in future been again has place that Max do it's so:
1 remove action
2. Very strong driving a wire up and down it's sticky damper for trying using your fingers.
3. If it's not help try putting on pour graphite grease into a bush's hole
4. Cleaning damper wire using very fine French sandpaper around the bush

Hello, yes my name does actually mean Hope? smile

Thanks for the response. I have fixed most of the issues I was having by using YouTube and googling. Thankfully most are not difficult to solve. I see you have a youtube channel. I subscribed. Thank you for the advice.

hi, nadyac
yes there3 russian name: Nadejda, Vera and Luboff, which means Hope, Faith, Love.
Thanks for your subscribing. I'm unprofessional tuner but I can give that to advicing piano about.
good luck in yours piano's tunings.
Max
20 837 Read More
Adult Beginners Forum
2 hours ago
I did not find this book witty or charming. I thought the author was a bit off kilter in her search for a piano with the perfect sound. I personally know an excellent technician who she derided in the book - not cool in my opinion. I think the author may have had some other non-piano issues. It was a very self-absorbed inward-looking book.
5 1,330 Read More
2 hours ago
Yes, Peter gets it.
My dad would go around buying property and building houses, so i have a carpentry background. In that trade crown up is a requirement. I was really quite surprised that there is no mention anywhere that i could find of any soundboard makers talking about the natural crown a rib can have. You only hear straight rib or a machined crowned rib. I think using the natural crown in a soundboard rib stock is an important little nuance.
-chris
67 2,602 Read More
Piano Teachers Forum
3 hours ago
I've only been teaching about 10 years, so I don't feel I can really judge kids today vs. previous generations. But regarding AZN's last comment, I have heard from other teachers that they perceive that there are fewer "average" students. They are teaching either very driven students who want to get to a high level or students who are just taking piano to check a box and not putting in much effort, whereas before they had more students in the middle.
Personally, I would say that a major enemy of progress at the piano is the great variety and intensity of the extra-curricular activities that students participate in. So many of my students seem to have an activity or two every day of the week, and so many of the sports teams require multiple practices/games per week plus tournaments on the weekends. It's understandable that they are unable to concentrate in lessons or practice well at home. I'm sure it wasn't this way for most kids when I was growing up, and I wonder if it's more difficult to develop independent learning skills if you are in a structured environment so much of the time.
42 1,690 Read More
3 hours ago
Originally Posted by David Boyce
Sorry, I came on a bit strong. I am grumpy this week, having broken my ankle on Tuesday....

Sorry to hear about your ankle. I hope you feel better, too.
37 683 Read More
4 hours ago
Originally Posted by toddy

SSD is very fast and, I hope, reliable, consistently high performance and durable. Has anyone had one die on them? (I've had several HDD die on me - both internal and external).

I've had an internal SSD fail before. From my usage patterns, it was clearly not due to P/E cycle/write endurance issues, so probably a one-off error. Modern OS's are all optimized for SSDs nowadays, so I wouldn't worry at all about their durability/reliability. SSD/flash storage is simply the status quo nowadays.
16 309 Read More
Piano Forum
4 hours ago
I am SO glad I read this string. Since I bought my piano in June, I noticed a flatness in a few treble keys (and less resonance than I would like in the upper register). I routinely play with the lid closed, and the piano cover on, which I pull back just enough to expose the keyboard and piano stand. After reading this, I removed the piano cover and opened the lid fully to see how the qualities above would be affected by doing so. The difference is noticeable and I am happier. Indeed it seems that some overtones have been restored (or are no longer covered up).

Thanks!!!
5 287 Read More
4 hours ago
Nice sound!

To us newbies who are still learning about connecting external devices and such could you explain what the UR22Mk2 does? Couldn't you have recorded the output from the 11se to a USB drive?
1 114 Read More
5 hours ago
FWIW, this guy can't tell the difference between the 32 ohm & 600 ohm DT880, but measures more distortion with the 32 ohm:
https://kenrockwell.com/audio/beyer/dt-880.htm Just throwing one more opinion into the mix.

Greg.
15 422 Read More
Page 1 of 30 1 2 3 29 30
(ad)
Sweetwater - Keyboards
Sweetwater
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Butt string replacement 1890's Ronisch grand piano
by WillSharpe. 12/09/18 11:30 PM
Question on 1988 Yamaha G2
by mackguy. 12/09/18 11:06 PM
Question about measuring equipment for humidity etc
by MrCatMissMew. 12/09/18 09:29 PM
Kawai MP11se Goes iPad
by IosPlayer. 12/09/18 06:12 PM
Computer/recording Dvice needed
by Chris Warren. 12/09/18 03:01 PM
(ad)
Pianoteq
PianoTeq Petrof
Forum Statistics
Forums40
Topics188,809
Posts2,769,587
Members91,713
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
(ad)
Accu-Tuner
Sanderson Accu-Tuner
Please Support Our Advertisers
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Sweetwater

PianoTeq Petrof
Piano Buyer Spring 2018
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2018 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission