2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
Who's Online Now
29 members (Gianluca, Carey, H.T, Charles Cohen, dcbluepiano, Curious42, Abdol, Gretel, Emery Wang, 7 invisible), 348 guests, and 387 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Active Threads | Active Posts | Unanswered Today | Since Yesterday | This Week
Piano Forum Jump to new posts
Re: Schimmel K 132 Carey 2 minutes ago
Here's another video that is even better ....

https://youtu.be/cPavgh6Sfeo
1 10 Read More
Piano Teachers Forum Jump to new posts
Re: MIDIator App -Now available for Laptops/PC/Macs Charles Cohen 11 minutes ago
I think the idea is intriguing.

One beauty of MIDI is that it's _very_ compact, since it transmits keystroke information, not audio. So MIDI transmission will work over lower-quality Internet connections, and (with luck) it'll have less latency than audio-over-Zoom.

You're looking at alpha-test software, newly developed:

. . . Cut the OP some slack.<g>
9 211 Read More
Piano Teachers Forum Jump to new posts
Re: New Zoom "High Fidelity" feature Charles Cohen 19 minutes ago
One difference between "original sound" with the "high fidelity" setting, and standard Zoom audio:

. . . Standard Zoom audio has a "gate" -- it shuts off the mic input when the level drops
. . . below some threshold.

. . . "Original sound" + "high fidelity" has _no gate_.

So the listener can hear the full decay of a note, and then hear the background noise in your room (if there is any). I just discovered this a few days ago.

A friend and I were doing some tests. There are several layers of "echo reduction' in Zoom, and if you turn them all off (or minimized), you can run into a echo or feedback loop so:

. . . sound comes into user A's mic;
. . . . Zoom sends it to user B;
. . . . . User B uses a loudspeaker;
. . . . . . user B's mic picks up the sound;
. . . . . . .. Zoom sends it to user A;
. . . . . . . . User A's mic picks it up.

If you _don't_ remove the echo suppression, Zoom may do funny stuff like cutting off long, sustained notes. It thinks they look like feedback or echo (which they do), and kills them.

So, I urge you to use headphones -- not speakers -- with "Original Sound".

With good mics, good Internet connections (including Ethernet if possible), and the proper options for "Original Sound" and echo suppression --

. . . you can get perfectly good sound over Zoom.

Before playing with these features, update your Zoom client to the latest version.
4 517 Read More
Adult Beginners Forum Jump to new posts
Re: Piano (Accordion) BruceD 21 minutes ago
Joh333:

Since this thread is 13 years old (with only one addition three and a half years ago) I would suggest that there doesn't seem to be much interest in the piano accordion in this forum.

But, I could be wrong.

Regards,
11 8,785 Read More
Re: Your favorite sightreading resources? Matze 36 minutes ago
Actually, i bought that exact series, earlofmar. Currently working through book 2, planning on getting all of them
23 591 Read More
Re: Bad Habit.. so many songs... dcbluepiano 37 minutes ago
Funny thing is I've found that working on other pieces can actually help me get better in the piece I actually want to work on, although the specifics of this I cannot fully explain(but it works). There are times when I get back to a piece that put off for months and when I get back to it I just get that part I was having trouble with even though I wasn't actively thinking about the piece prior to deciding to play it again. Maybe because prior to that I've been playing pieces with a lot of chords, or heavy on inversions or scales and whatnot and those happen to be prevalent in that piece I went back to as well. The value we get from our experience with any piece is fortunately cumulative and transfers to other things we work on.
16 429 Read More
Digital Pianos - Electronic Pianos - Synths & Keyboards Jump to new posts
Re: Shopping for a hybrid digital Kawai James 1 hour ago
Originally Posted by Beowulf
It's mostly the top-of-the-line uprights that are presented with a grand-like music desk. The NV5 certainly isn't modeled after Kawai's flagship upright smile
Originally Posted by MacMacMac
That upright was 50" tall. The NV5 is only 43". Not enough height for a big desk.

Like this:

[Linked Image]
20 439 Read More
Re: Steinway Model M concerns? Chernobieff Piano 1 hour ago
I'm finding that the Mason and Hamlin AA (one of my favorites) has a serious flaw. There are not enough bolts to support the pinblock in the field. And the pinblock goes quite far in front of the pins unsupported. With the flange cast at a steep angle, the strings pull the pinblock down and cause the pins to hit the front of the hole. I was able to fix this by adding 6 more screws closer to the agraffes.
-chris
11 351 Read More
Re: Kawai announces ES920 and ES520 portable digital pianos Kawai James 1 hour ago
Hello dp7,

Originally Posted by dp7
So do you think I received a faulty unit?

I'm afraid I don't know. However, if you believe the piano is not functioning correctly, you should seek assistance from the retailer (Thomann) or Kawai distributor/subsidiary (Kawai Europe).

Originally Posted by dp7
Playing multiple bass notes was producing an awful amount of vibrations.

If I was to select an electric piano sound, lay my arm across the bottom octave of keys, and play a cluster of notes at maximum volume with the damper pedal pressed, I expect I could probably cause the instrument to create a large amount of vibrations. However, this is obviously not typical playing behaviour.

Originally Posted by dp7
I'll post a video when I have some spare time to show it to you.

If you wish to send me a PM with a link to the video, I would be happy to take a look and tell you my opinion, however I'm afraid there is not really a great deal that I can do beyond this. Again, my advice would be to seek assistance from the retailer and/or Kawai distributor/subsidiary - this is ultimately more productive than trying to assess whether or not there is an issue with your piano via an internet forum.

Originally Posted by dp7
Regarding the audio problem, a second unit I've tested in a store presented the same issue.

Were you able to discuss this observation with the store's staff? Incidentally, may I ask why you opted against purchasing the instrument from your local dealer?

Best of luck!

Kind regards,
James
x
544 42,512 Read More
Pianist Corner Jump to new posts
Re: Do you play the first note of a measure louder thepianoplayer416 1 hour ago
If I'm at the start of a phrase, I'd exaggerate the first note. If there is a long slur, the first note is played louder and the other notes gradually softer to give the effect of notes connected to each other. I wouldn't make the first beat of each measure louder by default. Otherwise a piece would sound very mechanical.

I practice on a keyboard at home. Besides the default piano sound, there are some sound effects that have long sustain such as organ. When I'm playing a church hymn with an organ sound, you wouldn't hear any dynamics or an accent on the notes & chords.
8 433 Read More
Re: Yamaha Clavinova CLP-700 Series cl4p-785-tp 1 hour ago
I received my CLP-785 today strangely, the store told me I'd get it in a month but not complaining.
My first impressions are
- Speakers sound good to my ears
- Touch is nice, heavier than an acoustic for sure and still feels like a digital keyboard, but it's nice for what it is at this price. I tried the 735, 745, 775, and 785 in store and landed on the 785 between it and the 745. Feels better than the other models, though very close to the 745.
- Could live without the touch panel control but it looks cool I guess?

I haven't touched a piano in 2 years though, so not the most trustworthy opinion for you veterans.
1,033 72,772 Read More
Re: Your Sight Reading Trials! wszxbcl 2 hours ago
I have eye trouble too. I can really use some big print music scores. But then I'll have to get really good at page turning.
6 185 Read More
Re: Kawai Novus NV10 vs. Yamaha Avantgrand Sweelinck 2 hours ago
Originally Posted by pianoloverus
Hoping this thread will get back on topic since I need a lot of help. I will eventually be able to check out the Avantgrand models at the NYC(where I live)dealership, although not very soon because of the virus. Does anyone know of any dealers that have the Kawai Novus is the NYC area, Manhattan being my first choice? Thanks.

Because you already have a high quality acoustic piano, you may find that one of the better non-hybrid digital actions will be sufficient to satisfy what you will require from a digital. I would suggest adding the Kawai MP11SE to your audition list. You may well decide that you want to fork over the additional $10K or so to have an actual grand action, but if it is a 2nd piano, you may be able to save some dough, depending on your requirements.
43 785 Read More
Piano Tuner-Technicians Forum Jump to new posts
Re: Need advice on installing a Dampp Chaser on a Yamaha DYUS5 piano411 2 hours ago
WilliamTruitt, I'm sorry you feel that way. I truly am. If you change your mind, please know that you are welcome back to participate at any time. There is no harm that can come from people sharing their experiences.
88 1,717 Read More
Member Recordings Jump to new posts
Nocturne No1 in C Major LearnEveryDay 2 hours ago
Nocturne No1 in C Major_by Alexander, Dennis
Speed: Andante con moto

0 4 Read More
Re: Baldwin Acrosonic Spinet has 3 "twanging" bass keys. trooplewis 2 hours ago
nope, guess I'll have to do a search and find out who is in my area.
2 28 Read More
Members Recordings - Pianist Corner Jump to new posts
Re: Two Chopin Etudes in C minor vmishka 2 hours ago
If you would like some constructive criticism at this point since they are still works in progress, I am wondering if you are paying enough attention to the accents that Chopin wrote in Op 25, No 12 ("Ocean"), not only the bottom notes, but also the top notes. Lots of serious pianists don't like to listen to recordings while they are learning a piece so that they can come up with their own interpretation, not influenced by other artists. I do, however, recommend the recordings by Vyacheslav Gryaznov and Grigory Sokolov playing Op 25, No 12 (available on YouTube). I haven't listened to all of the Gryaznov performance, but the ones that I have listened to are remarkable.
1 63 Read More
Member Recordings Jump to new posts
Re: Luminosity - Steve Chandler MinscAndBoo 2 hours ago
VERY Lovely
1 186 Read More
Should I be able to "read" everything on the piece? dcbluepiano 2 hours ago
By "read", I mean at ANY point in the piece should I be able to identify what that part is like "oh this is a IV chord, this is an x progression, etc."

I've been self studying music theory during the C19 lockdown and slowly but surely I'm starting to get it as I apply it to pieces that I play. Without a teacher it's really hard to appreciate any theory I study if I can't apply it immediately and make it relevant. But every once in a while I experience a breakthrough like when I saw a series of chords and successfully identified them as just chords inversions going down the keyboard and suddenly the notes became "words" I can just read. It was amazing.

But there are times when I make use of more simple ways to "get" a section like "oh this part is just a two chords with 5th interval and I just need to move my hand position one step to the right". I mean it works to help me remember how to play that part but there was no theory behind it. But is that a correct approach or should I have known to "read" that part?

Just want to get some inputs to what extent people use music theory to learn a piece or if everyone is just kinda managing with their own tricks. Should I strive for complete comprehension of a piece with music theory?

I do like learning music theory I think it helps my brain give the learning process some structure that it can remember. It's just difficult sometimes when I'm reading theory and I have no idea how it is relevant to the pieces I'm actually playing at the moment. Doesn't really help that the lesson is always like "don't worry this comes up all the time in music."
0 47 Read More
Re: Yamaha AvantGrand N1X - Hands On Kawai James 3 hours ago
Originally Posted by Gombessa
Eventually (maybe 5 years, maybe 50) I suspect the entire action will be composite. And we may be better off for it, too.

...and then traditionalists who derided Kawai for adopting composite materials for action parts ~40 years ago will be forced to eat humble pie. wink
3,420 266,129 Read More
Re: Brand logos guyl 3 hours ago
I've explained the tuning forks Yamaha logo more than once to people who have their other products. They're often surprised.
42 910 Read More
Pianist Corner - Non Classical Jump to new posts
Re: Great jazz ballad players RinTin 3 hours ago
28 777 Read More
Re: Mute rail and other quieting methods Del Vento 3 hours ago
Originally Posted by pianoloverus
As I mentioned in another thread my neighbor has begun to complain to me about hearing my piano. I have been playing a grand for 20 years in the same room in my apartment and a vertical for 20 years before that and have only gotten three or four complaints but my neighbor is very upset. I only want to get a hybrid as a last resort since I love playing my M&H BB.

Does anyone have experience with mute rails? I listened to a demonstration of one online and it seemed to quiet the piano to an extreme where there wasn't much tone left. Can the volume when using the mute rail be adjusted at all? Does it basically insert something between the hammers and strings to mute the sound? Thanks.

As others have said, it's very common on uprights because it's easy to have a piece of felt in-and-out between strings and hammers. Much rarer in grands, even though I've seen an advertising for that recently (IIRC it was by QRS, but I would not bet it).

As others have said, some love it, some hate it. I am not sure anybody has tried BOTH a felt mute and a digital hybrid. I have. I used to have an upright with handmade felt mute, and I have a Yamaha NU1 now (in addition to a Golden Era grand). I liked the felt mute much more, even though it did change both the tone and the touch of the piano, and that piano was a beaten up, old upright.

I think you should ask to the piano technician or to the myptg.org forum, more than here, since it's more of a specialized thing that only a technician with lots of experience under their belt will have seen.

Other options: I suggest you consider a rug under the piano, a blanket inside the cabinet, on the strings (which will double down as a protection!) and something underneath. I suspect you will like that better. In my opinion, the sound of a digital instrument, even top of the line is so inferior to "the real thing" to leave you disappointed. Another option would be to trade down for a smaller instrument, the BB is arguably too big for a house, and you have it in an apartment....
Also see https://www.pianobuyer.com/article/ten-ways-to-voice-a-room/ and https://www.pianobuyer.com/faqs/how-can-i-lower-the-volume-of-my-piano/ -- Consider soundproofing the room. Talk to your technician, your piano store, people who have recording studios in your area...
I mean, with the money that you'd spend on an N1x or similar, you can be much more satisfied looking at other options, given that you have such a wonderful instrument already!!! (I wish I could afford that myself)
6 316 Read More
Re: most common non ET temperaments in 2020? Sweelinck 4 hours ago
Another view...

From: http://www.terryblackburn.us/music/temperament/stoess.htm

Equal temperament is the only practical temperament for the modern piano.
123 2,460 Read More
Re: Debussy Arabesque I E maj dumka1 4 hours ago
I guess my favorite part is the one I messed up on the recording smile.
121 5,647 Read More
Page 1 of 33 1 2 3 32 33
(ad)
Pianoteq
PianoTeq Karsten Collection
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
What's Hot!!
News from the Piano World
Our October 2020 Free Piano Newsletter is Here!
---------------------
3,000,000+!
------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Schimmel K 132
by Lady Bird - 10/29/20 01:23 AM
Should I be able to "read" everything on the piece?
by dcbluepiano - 10/28/20 10:40 PM
Baldwin Acrosonic Spinet has 3 "twanging" bass keys.
by trooplewis - 10/28/20 09:57 PM
Question about HP704 and acoustic pianos
by paxel - 10/28/20 08:37 PM
Shopping for a hybrid digital
by Zora - 10/28/20 12:45 PM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums41
Topics202,459
Posts3,018,206
Members99,059
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2020 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission