2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Advanced Piano Tricks
Advanced Piano Tricks
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
85 members (anotherscott, Ajax69, An Old Square, AndyOnThePiano, beeboss, AaronSF, accordeur, 23 invisible), 1,323 guests, and 485 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Active Threads | Active Posts | Unanswered Today | Since Yesterday | This Week
Piano Teachers Forum Jump to new posts
Re: Is slow note-by-note practice the best way to learn? dogperson 57 seconds ago
Originally Posted by TimR
There seems to be an assumption here that lack of fluency is caused by reading note by note rather than in larger phrases.

I think lack of fluency is a physical technique problem that will still be there with larger phrases.

If you have the wrong root cause your solution is likely to be less than optimal.

There are several members here that have very deficient reading skills and haven’t invested the time and effort to develop them. Therefore, they memorize everything in order to avoid learning note-by-note, when they are forced to read a score it is note-by-note with frequent pauses to figure out the notes or chords.
46 4,314 Read More
Digital Pianos - Electronic Pianos - Synths & Keyboards Jump to new posts
Re: Interest in a Pianoteq iOS / Android remote app ? hes 2 minutes ago
Originally Posted by Boboulus
But like I said I wasn’t so sure about this but still weird to promote pianoteq in this video. It make me think that it would be paint if the sound engine. 😄
As I think you realize, they're just sending midi to the PC running Pianoteq. Although I do think I was wrong about something; it's actually midi sent from the Adsilent box itself, the phone app just gives remote interface to the Adsilent box. I think they may have shown Pianoteq because they're talking about using the USB out on the Adsilent box to "record" your playing on a PC, and Pianoteq has recording built in as a prominent feature (not sure which other VSTs do, probably not as appealing to show it recording to a DAW on a PC).
12 306 Read More
Pianist Corner Jump to new posts
Re: Ruth Slenczynska will release a new album at the age of 97 Coda9 5 minutes ago
This is wonderful news as I was just recently researching a YouTube of Chopin Op. 10 number 2 comparing 10 pianists different interpretations of this piece and she was among them. I listen to all players and I found her interpretation the most musically inspiring!
4 439 Read More
Piano Forum Jump to new posts
Re: Is it worth it? dogperson 8 minutes ago
Originally Posted by BruceD
Originally Posted by drvenom
[...] I'd keep my child studying music even if they don't like it much. [...]

Given that the road to technical and musical proficiency at the piano is a long one, this does not sound like good pedagogical advice. Unlike learning facts, figures, and basic memorization skills, one of the primary aspects of piano playing is to enjoy the journey, knowing that positive outcomes may be far into the future.

The journey should be an enjoyable experience, otherwise progress may be impeded and what would be the point?

Regards,

My parents forced my sister to take five years of lessons. The outcome? She hates the piano and has never played again. Don’t force it
9 644 Read More
Adult Beginners Forum Jump to new posts
Re: Assessing your musical memory at a later age dogperson 11 minutes ago
Originally Posted by dogperson
Originally Posted by bennevis
Originally Posted by Colin Miles
Despite the fact that 'muscle memory' is supposed to be the least reliable on stage, from Yuga Wang's comments it would appear to be her main 'weapon' - 'the fingers just know what to do'.

See Living the life
As with every other musician I've heard on BBC Radio 3 when asked this question ('how do you remember all the notes?') - all the answers are variations of 'muscle memory' (MM), and in fact, MM is the term used by all the musicians whose English is fluent, not 'procedural memory'.

I'd hoped to hear at least one pianist talk about his/her photographic memory, because I'm curious about how they visualise the score, but no-one has ever mentioned having this gift (and I must have heard or read more than 100 interviews that touched on this subject), though it has been mentioned frequently that a few well-known conductors have (or had) this attribute - Lorin Maazel was one. (If you see a conductor conduct entire concerts from memory, it's likely he has photographic memory.)

It's not really surprising - after all, almost everything we do 'without thinking' depends on MM, based on lots and lots of repetition. Think of lifting a mug of coffee (other beverages are available) to one's lips. If we always use our RH to do this, switching to LH feels very awkward, and we might even spill some coffee if the mug is almost full. The hand might shake. And if you think the mug is empty but it's actually full (or filled with mercury rather than coffee smirk ), you suddenly can't lift it up......because you were expecting (from MM) a certain weight which turned out to be unexpectedly different.

Same for any sport that requires precision skills - scoring goals, hitting aces, even jumping over hurdles etc. Piano playing is no different - practice makes perfect, because it addresses MM directly. Eventually, we remember the exact sequence of movements, so we don't have to think about "which notes in which order?" when we play.

For instance, how would anyone play this piece, except almost entirely by MM?

Incidentally, just last night - because of this thread -, I thought of one piece that I composed when I was a teenager which I never wrote down, because I kept 'improving' it, adding more and more notes to it over a few months. It was actually my own cadenza to Mozart's K467 concerto, which I was learning for myself at that time (playing the orchestral as well as solo part). I hadn't played it again since then, and wondered if I could still remember it in its entirety (it lasted some five minutes - I was an ambitious kid trying to upstage Wolfie whistle ), several decades on. The first few notes were easy - I played them by ear, but then had to let MM take over as things got hectic and notes started flying all over the keyboard (ranging much more widely than is possible on Mozart's own fortepianos grin). Needless to say, I soon got stuck, and tried jumping to another section of the cadenza. Then I got stuck again. After several tries, I managed to "retrieve" most, but not all of my original final version of it. This morning, I had another attempt before I went to work, and when I returned home this evening, tried again just now, and.......yippie I finally remembered the whole thing, and was able to play it from start to finish. Or, my fingers 'remembered'. I just had to 'let my mind go' and allow my fingers to do their own thing.

In other words, pure MM........(and now, I'm going to add more fancy bits to it wink ).

Valentina Lisitsa reads the score and can then recall the score in entirety as a scrolling document . There is a YouTube video when I can find it

There are others professional pianists in Chaffin’s book that use other methods.

Here’s the we interview with Valentina

48 1,090 Read More
Adult Beginners Forum Jump to new posts
Re: January Piano Bar lilypad 27 minutes ago
Larry - Another nice composition. I really like the little flourish at the end.

Rickster - You sounded like a pro with that solo section in the middle.
29 1,167 Read More
Re: Franck Sonata solo transcription Carey 30 minutes ago
FYI - I just played through Cortot's transcription of the final movement. Some of the reaches are impossible - and some are fine if you can reach more than a 10th. grin
4 94 Read More
Just For The Fun of It Jump to new posts
Re: Anyone play piano accordion as well as piano? The Dodo 32 minutes ago
I think what I was really trying to say was that it's definitely a wind instrument (duh I know) but can be percussive when played in a certain way.
2 238 Read More
Re: Schubert Trio D. 929 solo transcription Carey 33 minutes ago
Originally Posted by pianoloverus
This is the best place I know of to find if there is a transcription of some piece:
http://www.pianophilia.com/ot/
This is great. Thanks.
2 69 Read More
Re: 1983 Yamaha C3 BruceD 44 minutes ago
I will bow to the expertise of Peter W. Grey as far as the marketability of the piano to a dealer is concerned. I will say, however (non-professional opinion), that if you hope to sell it privately it should be tuned, if it hasn't recently been tuned. Nothing is more frustrating to a serious, potential buyer - and can even be a deal breaker - to come across a piano that is not in good tune. How can a buyer assess the tone of a piano if it is not in tune?

Regards,
8 190 Read More
Re: A Tale of Two (or Three?) Pianos / Terrific opportunity ShiroKuro 49 minutes ago
Ah, you know I think I knew that (that it's on the north side of ATL) -- take makes it easier for me, but we really hate driving on 85! whome
27 1,156 Read More
Re: CN39 or ES520 for first digital piano? potatogirl 55 minutes ago
I bought the CN39! Still nervous about spending that much but hopefully that will dissipate when I start playing it.
3 274 Read More
Re: Recording? An Es110 . . .%&$**& MarieJ 1 hour ago
Peter, I’d still try connecting to the ‘audio in’ of your desktop computer (if you still have it) and see what happens …
8 411 Read More
Just For The Fun of It Jump to new posts
Re: Men Can Fix Anything Piano World 1 hour ago
Originally Posted by The Dodo
Late to the wagon but thought it belonged here:

My scientist/researcher husband just offered to tune a piano for me.

He does not know anything about music.
Or pianos.

Just research.

I mean, yes it's sweet and all but feel free to collectively shake your heads along w me.

Kudos to him for his well intentioned offer.

I recently offered to fix my fiancee's washer. Two days and some skinned knuckles later I threw in the towel, actually I threw in several towels to mop up the water on her basement floor. Then we called in the experts.

I learned how to tune and repair pianos from a professional who had attended the North Bennett Street Industrial school and apprenticed under other techs.

While the premise of turning some tuning pins to adjust the pitch appears simple enough , it isn't.
It takes years (and hundreds of pianos) to become proficient at hearing/counting the beats, finding the optimal stretch, setting the pins, etc.

My recommendation to him would be to observe the professional you hire to tune your piano, and ask questions (not too many questions though or the charge for tuning will go up :-)

All the Best,
Frank Baxter

Founder/Host/Owner
Piano World
PianoSupplies.com
Maple Street Music Shop
35 2,501,250 Read More
Piano Tuner-Technicians Forum Jump to new posts
Re: Tuning pins hard to turn, jumping many cents. David Boyce 1 hour ago
What tools do you seek to purchase? There are tools available online from various suppliers.
43 5,813 Read More
Re: Piano Parts Brands from 1900-1930 BDB 2 hours ago
Most manufacturers did not cast their own frames, and that is probably true to this day. With the collapse of the piano manufacturing trade in the US, Steinway bought one of the two plate casting factories in Ohio, so they are casting their own frames again, but now at the O. S. Kelly foundry. They also ship them to Hamburg now.

I believe Mason & Hamlin gets their plates cast in China. I am not certain about Charles Walter.

Casting plates requires specialized skills, space requirements, and equipment beyond what most manufacturers would be competent to supply. Yamaha, of course, has the capability, so they can make their own, too.
7 245 Read More
Re: Seeking input on pianos that haven't been tuned in years P W Grey 2 hours ago
Originally Posted by Samdeen3
Assuming medium use with regular yearly tuning. Thanks in advance

If that's the owner/seller talking, take it "with a grain of salt". How do you KNOW it is 25 years old? Have you looked up the serial number and confirmed it? Again, if this is the owner/seller telling you, my experience suggests typically adding at least 50% to whatever they tell you. Memories fade...and get distorted with time.

Best practice is to have it thoroughly inspected by a qualified and objective tech. If it's actually from the 70's or 80's you could have a big problem with spring cord breakage requiring replacement of them all. This is the "Achilles heel" in Yamaha vertical production.

If in fact it is 25 years or so old, it may not be bad, HOWEVER what has its environment been...could there be mice in it...is it in front of a heater...etc?

This is why "it depends", as was stated earlier.

Edit: As far as tuning it, piano danno is correct, assuming no other issues.

Peter Grey Piano Doctor
6 225 Read More
Re: My new Steinway! Also need help w info on it please! The Dodo 2 hours ago
You guys are the best! I want to thank all of you for being such lovely, informative, and patient people smile
6 215 Read More
Re: 3D printed working grand piano Peddler100 2 hours ago
Outstanding!
5 264 Read More
ACCU-TUNER SAT IV for sale Piano Danno 2 hours ago
FYI,

I have a SAT IV listed on EBAY.

Here's the link
https://www.ebay.com/itm/325004790462

Dan
0 53 Read More
Re: Playground sessions bluetooth or midi cable? Taushi 2 hours ago
Originally Posted by Ravanelli
Thanks for the replies.

So I just connected with BT MIDI to compare. I don't notice the latency per se. But the sound is wayyyy better (AKA Much louder) using USB MIDI and the added benefit is my iPad gets charged in the process

Your iPad gets charged? Wow! I have the 785 and my iPad doesn’t charge. Do you know if you’re using a particular setting?
12 364 Read More
Re: Memorization: Corea vs. Zhdanov Walkman 3 hours ago
When I was taking up piano lessons, since lessons were short, my teacher would show me were to put hands or dictate C F E, etc. I would memorize very quickly and because of that was a terrible sight reader. It would require me an hour almost to sight read a page. But I could memorize a 1 piece page in a day or two.
Recently, when I got back to piano and reading new material, I got better at sight reading and I could not memorize that well.
Why? Because I did not need to. I could just sight read. And without using your concentration to memorize, with just playing through and sightreading it takes much longer to memorize a piece.
Now, I just actively try to memorize, sight read a small part, look at your hand, at the notes and try to memorize. With this active memorizing I can memorize as easily as before.
So, I think if you try to automatically memorize through sightreading all the time, it will take much longer. Divide it in small chunks ( a phrase at a time) and look down on the keyboard when you play. You will memorize much quicker.
26 823 Read More
Re: piano search for teenage son Carey 3 hours ago
Originally Posted by calebsmum
ok, I'm determined to get something for him by his Birthday, which is on the 4th. Just less than 2 weeks. argggh.. I was considering the es920 but nothing available. I may have to go non-portable. Which would you prefer, the kawai ca49 or the kdp120?
If you can swing it financially, the CA49 is by far the better instrument. You might want to ask this question on the Digital Pianos - Electronic Pianos - Synths and Keyboard forum.
42 3,650 Read More
Re: Need advice on repertoire for a solo concert Walkman 3 hours ago
As much as I would enjoy this recital, I think for the non listeners all of this pieces are too difficult to digest and like at the first hearing. I would definitely shorten the recital under an hour.
Definitely take Fantasie off the liszt. Start with norma. End with the ballade. Leave one or two mazurkas for the encore.
28 557 Read More
Pianist Corner - Non Classical Jump to new posts
Re: NEW Class 58 - Relaxation and Orchestration in Improvisation MrShed 3 hours ago
Dug the video and really liked the idea of thinking like other instrument that relates to the range you're currently playing in. Really helps to find new ideas.
1 111 Read More
Page 1 of 32 1 2 3 31 32
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
ACCU-TUNER SAT IV for sale
by Piano Danno - 01/25/22 03:28 PM
Schubert Trio D. 929 solo transcription
by Tony Lu - 01/25/22 02:11 PM
Franck Sonata solo transcription
by Tony Lu - 01/25/22 02:00 PM
1983 Yamaha C3
by David in Virginia - 01/25/22 01:31 PM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums42
Topics211,347
Posts3,163,912
Members104,158
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | MapleStreetMusicShop.com - Our store in Cornish Maine

© copyright 1997 - 2022 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission