2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2.9 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Petrof Pianos
Petrof Pianos
(ad)
Pianoteq
PianoTeq Karsten Collection
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Find a Professional
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers

Advertise on Piano World

Who's Online Now
48 registered members (chateauferret, Doug M., anotherscott, AndyOnThePiano, Beemer, Bill Bremmer RPT, David Boyce, 13 invisible), 406 guests, and 299 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Live Piano Venues
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Directory/Site Map
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords & Scales
Active Threads | Active Posts | Unanswered Today | Since Yesterday | This Week
Digital Pianos - Electronic Pianos - Synths & Keyboards Jump to new posts
Re: Unpopular opinion about SK-5 sample Doug M. 2 minutes ago
Originally Posted by JoeThePro
After voicing the SK-5 brighter (and really trying to avoid the 4th octave :D) and playing it more, I'm starting to enjoy the less heavy/complex sound of the SK-5 sample more. I think making it brighter helps to calm the nasally-ness a bit, and I'm sure my ear is just becoming more used to it.

Side note: I tried some Hyper X Cloud headphones (which I do enjoy for music, they're not bad) with the ES8, and it sounded so scooped that the vocal texture of the piano was totally lost. Definitely not a good pair for piano!

Hi Joe,

I also wasn't impressed with the SK-5 sample immediately; however, after a while, I did start to notice it's good points and started to really enjoy it.

With regard to good headphones for Digital piano, if you're looking for a sound bet, the post popular cans here are probably the Sennheiser HD500 series line (especially cans like the HD598). This is a good choice for those not wanting to use a headphone amp.

Also well loved are the HD600, HD650 and HD660 cans. The HD600 is the most comfortable of all Sennheiser cans IMO (due to the foam in the headband being split into 4 section --- the newer cans that have only 2 foam sections); further, what makes it popular is that it has an awesome neutral character whilst still managing to be warm.

Problem with the HD600 is that an external headphone amp would be ideal with the Kawai ES8 or MP7SE because although they should sound good, the inbuilt amp isn't designed for cans with 300 ohm impedance. However, as many audiophiles on YouTube have noted in their comparison reviews, the HD600's outperform the HD660 overall, and are the best value for money Sennheisers. Whilst the HD660's clearly have improved in some areas, the overall compromise wasn't considered worth it.

Other good open back cans (for a more fun bass) are the Philips Fidelio X2HR's. The BeyerDynamics DT880's and DT990's are also good. This review is really good, I enjoyed this one for conciseness.

On a review I carried out about 18 months ago, more users here were happy with the HD500 line but users who upgraded to the HD600 though it a clear upgrade.

One of the issues with headphone shopping is the inability to compare in store lots of cans side-by-side. Thus, it maybe that if you can't get to a store that will order in for you the various competing cans you wish to try, that you instead plump for one of the most used cans on Pianoworld. I have a really good Dawson's store in Manchester UK that allow you to request of them to bring in any headphones you wish to try. I think this is a great idea because it's such a personal thing. With younger and older people having different tastes due to their different abilities to hear higher frequencies etc., trying things out just makes sense.

Kind regards,

Doug.
45 920 Read More
Piano Tuner-Technicians Forum Jump to new posts
Re: Rust spots on strings joggerjazz 4 minutes ago
Probably from hand sweat from the stringer. I wouldn't worry about it. Some people might take to steel wool. But sounds like you have string cover felt which helps with dust which can contain moisture.
1 29 Read More
Pianist Corner Jump to new posts
Re: Pieces your working on during this lockdown? chateauferret 4 minutes ago
Mendelssohn Sonata in E op 6
Weber Sonata in C op 24

Had a look at the Kapustin sonatina op 100. Thought it would be categorically impossible but actually seems reasonably approachable. Might have a go at that.

I've also been looking at a Czerny nocturne, op 604 no 1 "L'Hommage". Can recommend these if you fancy going off the beaten track a bit. There are some not great copies on IMSLP but you can order a book of 17 pieces including the eight op 604 works by Editions Henri Lemoine.
3 61 Read More
Re: Digital music displays—suggestions? chateauferret 11 minutes ago
I'm using an Acer chromebook with MobileSheetsPro to display downloaded music from IMSLP. If I have the music on printed paper though I prefer to use that as rule. The screen can be turned to portrait mode to display a single page at a larger size and you turn the page with a single tap on the screen. I don't think you need anything elaborate.

Whether it's easier or not on the screen depends on the score I suppose. Not much beats a nice Henle edition for clarity and ease of use. I have lots of Peters ones as well which are good. OTOH some printed copies are just facsimiles of, or similar to, old editions of things. I would probably use just the chromebook if it weren't for the fact that I have a large collection of printed music; only thing is for modern stuff IMSLP won't hold it because it's still in copyright so for that you will still need to order the score.
6 262 Read More
Re: "Real Enough" demo - VSL Synchron CFX MacMacMac 16 minutes ago
So this is a dongulated VI? frown
Originally Posted by U3piano
I wonder if VSL would actually make more money by lowering their prices. (And get rid of their customer hating policy if you lose or break your dongle)
8 137 Read More
Re: Bartok Mikrokosmos analysis? eboats 34 minutes ago
Thanks everyone for the suggestions!
4 128 Read More
Re: How are you handling COVID-19 Loren D 42 minutes ago
I'm shut down for the time being and enjoying a (hopefully) brief tuning hiatus. Time will tell, I guess. Our governor ordered all non-essential businesses to close, and most are complying.
3 239 Read More
Re: My headphone jack broke in the socket Seeker 42 minutes ago
I second Ragtime2k's suggestion. You MIGHT be able to push the plug through.
It's difficult to predict without knowing exactly WHICH jack is in your equipment.
Here is a link to a line of jacks from Switchcraft.
http://www.switchcraft.com/productsummary.aspx?Parent=1131
If you click on the PDF link for one of the types of jacks shown, you'll get a drawing like this...
http://www.switchcraft.com/Drawings/EH35MM_SERIES_CD.pdf
Let us know how things go!
2 63 Read More
Piano Forum Jump to new posts
Re: First auditions for a Baby Grand akc42 46 minutes ago
Originally Posted by j&j
Hi akc42 - I just noticed in the pictures that you have an artist bench. Did you get the artist bench with the purchase of your Feurich, or was the artist bench a separate purchase? I finally got an artist bench with my Estonia and boy oh boy what a fabulous treat it is! The bench looks beautiful with your Feurich piano!

The bench is sold separately by the music store, but I agreed a deal in which they included it.
50 2,398 Read More
Stephen Hough and Covid 19 gooddog 59 minutes ago
Interesting perspective Article
0 30 Read More
Re: Coronavirus epidemic and piano practice/teaching/performing Tyrone Slothrop 1 hour ago
Ultimately, it may be less interesting which country started it than which countr(ies) lost control of it.

[Linked Image]
334 8,367 Read More
Re: Very bad sample Bosendorfer Imperial CP73/88 EssBrace 1 hour ago
Originally Posted by Otavio
EssBrace.

Why you let go the 515 and 645 ?
I'm planning on buying the Clp 645 for study and use as midi controller later on.

Most people say that nwx action it´s heavey and they dont get used to it, some say that they get used to it ...
How it is your opinion on that ?

The action is one of the heavier ones. I think most people would get used to it though. I sold these pianos because they just weren't used enough at the time. The P515 is basically the same as the CLP-645 (same action and very similar sound set). The speakers are the weak points on all these midrange pianos. The CLP-645 could play ear-splittingly loud but it wasn't a very pleasant experience to play it through speakers. Both pianos sound their best through headphones in my opinion.
9 376 Read More
Re: Need Help With VST and Roland LX708 20/20 Vision 1 hour ago
Originally Posted by Osho
OP:

If you don't play any Piano VST, but just play any song on your computer, do you hear the sound through DP speakers?

Osho

Osho, there is no beep sound or other noise from the piano speakers when I play music from a source other than piano. If I turn the buffer down to 64, I get static distortion on both the laptop and the piano. At 128, no static, but beeping sounds as I play. No beep sounds I can hear from the laptop speakers.
12 230 Read More
Re: Faschingsschwank aus Wien Franz Beebert 1 hour ago
So why do you guys think the piece is performed much less often than some of his other big works?
4 161 Read More
Re: Kawai announces Concert Artist CA99 and CA79 digital pianos Galuwen 1 hour ago
Hi Folks,

I found a new unboxing and demo video:

Galuwen
745 48,038 Read More
Re: Can't try out the pianos and keyboards now ando 1 hour ago
Originally Posted by johnstaf

As a separate issue, it must be terrifying for anyone living in a dysfunctional home at the moment.

Absolutely. It's a worrying time. A lot of households are dysfunctional, and being able to get out and let off steam on your own can be the difference between keeping it together and exploding into domestic mayhem.
7 251 Read More
Re: Soundboard shape and size Roy123 1 hour ago
Originally Posted by Chernobieff Piano
John,
I like where your going with this, but i think Ash has the highest strength to weight ratio of the hardwoods if i remember correctly. Great to work with too, machines very well.

Kurtmen,

My philosophy is simple. To learn all the different prevailing ideas( past and present) in piano technology (soundboards specifically) challenge the ones that are false, agree with the ones that are true ( for confirmation) learn of the current trends, to be well rounded. So i am absorbing what is useful and discarding the rest. It's my "Jeet Kune Do".
I've been talking flexibility in soundboards for years and everyone else talks only about stiffness like its an automatic reaction. Yet they never mention about too much stiffness. If i'm lucky and press them hard enough then i get the "impedance matching" thing. That's been the jist of conversations of the past 2 years. But all that theory stuff is fine, but i never hear any practical ways to pull that off. It just sounds like hit or miss and trying to sound intelligent while guessing.
So, care to throw in what you think the variables and degrees are? So when in the shop hovering over a newly installed soundboard, how do you know if its too stiff? Or too flexible? Where is the balance point?
-chris

Stiffness and flexibility are 2 ways to express the identical thing. Mathematically, they are just the reciprocal of each other.
72 4,389 Read More
Piano Teachers Forum Jump to new posts
Re: How can I make my student feel safe ? EDV 1 hour ago
Update: My students seem to want to go along with Skype lessons, though I'm not sure if that will last. Lucky for me they are mature students with fairly secure jobs. I hope I can adapt to this new medium, I am sure most teachers would agree it's not ideal, although private students tend to be more motivated than regular school students.
35 1,056 Read More
Pianist Corner - Non Classical Jump to new posts
Re: Wise man Victor Wooten speaks TheophilusCarter 1 hour ago
Originally Posted by AndyOnThePiano

I'm exactly the same. I came across Victor Wooten when I came back to bass and have the same admiration for him as a musician and an educator.

*fellow bassist fist-bump*
5 198 Read More
Adult Beginners Forum Jump to new posts
Re: NOW! Free piano concert from Sydney Opera House dogperson 2 hours ago
Thanks so much for posting the link—- it was a wonderful concert
5 137 Read More
Re: Steinway “C” owners— do you like this model or ??? j&j 2 hours ago
And that’s always been a bit of a problem for me. A piano sounds very different to my ears when I’m playing it or listening to it be played when I’m right there than when I listen to recordings, even with high grade headphones. I’m sure thankful I went piano shopping last October rather than trying to shop with virtual visits to the showroom.
13 639 Read More
Re: Why is VPC 1 so expensive? Osiris 2 hours ago
Originally Posted by U3piano
Why would it be a factor that the vpc1 doesn't have modulation wheels/sliders etc? If you like the vpc1 but need these things as well, you could always buy a (small) separate unit with whatever controls you need, or am I missing something?

No, you're not missing anything.
Because I use a lot of Kontakt libraries adding a NI S61 MK2 to my gear may suit my needs.
76 1,882 Read More
Re: Possible to have an online lesson using headphones? AndyOnThePiano 4 hours ago
I've just noticed some differences between that microphone and the one I bought.

1) I don't have the soundcard that they're now including.I don't know how well that will work.
2) I feed the microphone directly into the mixer using a xlr cable (not the xlr to 3.5mm trs cable they have there).
3) Mine came with a smaller rigid desk mount.

However the microphone itself looks very similar.
5 194 Read More
Re: Interesting Piano up for Auction Tweedpipe 4 hours ago
Now if that piano was seen in a shopping mall, train or airport hall, I wonder if people would stop to play it or caress it........?
5 274 Read More
Adult Beginners Forum Jump to new posts
Re: Faber Graduates CognitaP 5 hours ago
Wish4 Thing I had not picked up it was a 6/8 piece when I first listened to it, but listening again I can hear that it is.

Thats one my challenges to get better at listening to pieces and being able to pick out what time signatures a piece is in and what scale (whether major or minor) that a piece is in.

Im busy at the moment learning being able to recognise the different intervals on the staff and developing my ear training to pick them up also.This is going well I just need to consolidate it all.

I am also learning how to get the left hand softer than the right. When I do this slowly as described in the AIO PA (book 1 Unit 11) 3 minute technique video I can get the left hand softer, but at the moment as soon as I speed it up then both hands go back to playing the same dynamics. So this is defiantly a technique that for me needs at lot more practice to get this right.

Good luck with the new piece Funicula This is a lovely piece to learn so can see why you are looking forward to it.

I hope everyone takes care and keeps well emotionally as well as physically.
1,535 408,584 Read More
Page 1 of 30 1 2 3 29 30
Hand Sanitizer for Musicians
Hand Sanitizer for Musicians
Musician's Hand Sanitizer available in our online store (and our Maple Street Music shop in Cornish Maine). Antibacterial, 62% ethyl alcohol. Hand Sanitizer for Musicians
Tons more music related products in our online store!
(ad)
Pianoforall
PianoForAll
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Stephen Hough and Covid 19
by gooddog - 03/28/20 09:54 AM
Rust spots on strings
by Deltajockey - 03/28/20 08:30 AM
Pieces your working on during this lockdown?
by scottgreen94 - 03/28/20 06:49 AM
"Real Enough" demo - VSL Synchron CFX
by Philip_Johnston - 03/28/20 06:32 AM
CodeVsCovid19
by swiss_boy - 03/28/20 05:05 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums41
Topics197,741
Posts2,939,583
Members96,385
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2019 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission