Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2.5 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Piano Forums & Piano World
Find a Professional
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers

Advertise on Piano World

What's Hot!!
50th ABF Recital Coming Up - Join Us!
Forums With A View!
Posting Pictures on the Forums
ADVERTISE on Piano World
Piano Buyer Guide
Piano Buyer Fall 2017
Pierce Piano Atlas

Who's Online Now
128 registered members (agraffe, Akash, Amedeus, amad23, Alan Jordan, 27 invisible), 1,131 guests, and 4 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Live Piano Venues
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Directory/Site Map
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords & Scales
Active Threads | Active Posts | Unanswered Today | Since Yesterday | This Week
Piano Forum
14 seconds ago
Originally Posted by YATT
Thanks again everyone. We are going to put it in the formal living room. I just removed the white boards, filled some holes and painted the wall so it is ready! Piano is supposed to be here within 2 hours. Finished just in time.

[Linked Image]

So looking forward to seeing a photo of the new piano in place !!

Nice job on the wall preparation !!
12 388 Read More
Adult Beginners Forum
6 minutes ago
Hi guys, long time, no post, LOL! I had a bit of a layoff. Life gets in the way sometimes, death in the family and other chaos, but things have calmed down. I just wanted to check in.

I'm not working with Faber anymore. I kind of got really uninspired by the music. I've always enjoy classical the most, no arrangements or such, so I lost a lot of interest as I kept going forward. Then life got a bit nuts and I stopped playing for a time. When I came back to it, I knew I had to do something different, but it had to be all classical. So I ended up going with Keith Snell's books. I'm in level 3 for his series, which is somewhere around the same level you're working on Brian, if you're still out there, LOL. I was going to follow that direction, too, and I have Developing Artist Level 3, which I'm picking pieces out of, along with Snell. I like that Snell has separate books for etudes, baroque/classical, and romantic/20th cent., plus scale and theory books for all the levels. It feels a lot better to me, and I'm much more inspired. So right now I'm working on a Czerny etude, a couple Bach musettes, and for romantic/20th century I picked Satie's First Gnossienne, which I absolutely ADORE. It looks much more challenging than what it really is, and it's actually starting to come together, which I'm thrilled about.

So I guess I'm also retiring from this thread, since I'm not working on Faber anymore. You guys all sound like you're doing great! I'm so happy to be playing again, the last year was really awful for life's chaos but all is well again! Great to see you all here! Happy Spring!
923 330,668 Read More
Pianist Corner
8 minutes ago
Originally Posted by Farago
Originally Posted by wr
Yes, but if you use the "Ignore" feature, all you see are short little placeholders instead of entire posts. Which, as this thread vividly demonstrates, can make a big difference in the amount of [censored] one needs to scroll through.

Plus, I think that it is likely that, even if you are deliberately avoiding reading somebody's posts, there's still subliminal stuff leaking through as you pass over them if they are displayed. That may not seem to matter much, but why invite the opportunity at all, when the "Ignore" button is such a handy and elegant solution to the issue?

The fact that there's such a prevalent need to curate one's own views to a very small subset of possibilities is...

... well, it's beyond me.

Frame it in whatever disparaging manner you want, it's still a standard feature in online communities, even in many news site comment sections. I like it.

IMO, life is too short to become mired in every time suck that available online. If you want to think of that as limiting one's own views, fine. I think most adults do give their attention some guidance in this way, even adults who are curious about views other than their own.
154 2,674 Read More
Adult Beginners Forum
15 minutes ago
I had one teacher for two years as a child and then quit. I took lessons during college and had 5 teachers in 3 1/2 years. That included different teachers during the summer. I would have given anything’s to have continued lessons with the teacher I had when I transferred in my junior year but he left to go teach at a different school. I took lessons the first semester of my senior year but it was not a good fit and I quit in the middle of my senior year. My teacher at home also moved out of state . I played on my own a little at first but then with marriage, work and kids I did not play for over 35 years. I started taking lessons 7 years ago and I am still with that teacher.
4 143 Read More
Digital Pianos - Synths & Keyboards
28 minutes ago

have not changed my mind in the end and just received my ca78.
So far so good (actually really good).

Only thing is that I had to update the software twice as the first time the 3rd step (the long one, btw, what is it doing for 2 hours) filed once.
But the I fully reformatted the memory stick and worked.
79 5,265 Read More
Adult Beginners Forum
36 minutes ago
Terrific recital to listen to, boy -- thanks to all who participated! The first half of my batch of comments:

01 JoBert -- Great start to the proceedings, JoBert! Would love to hear you play the whole set; or, failing that, a bouquet of some of the Brahms Waltzes. I've done the set myself, and there are a few murderous ones when transcribed for solo piano. Great sense of style.

02 PianogrlNW -- Beautifully fluid, skillful rendering of Oscar Peterson's waltz. There is a running monthly thread in ABF called "Piano Bar" -- pieces like this would fit like a glove in that format, if you're so persuaded.

MeganR -- Solid performance of early Beethoven -- I agree with you that it could use a bit more speed, and I would say a little more attention to accents to enhance the dance aspect -- but very enjoyable as is.

dumka1 -- For me, this was a very successful rendition in the sense that it WAS straightforward, upbeat, with little rubato -- I like it just that way. For my taste, the "C" section could be "milked" a little more for its grace and charm, but otherwise I hear it as more dancelike and not terribly intimate and sad. The first of unusually good renditions of Chopin Waltzes in this recital.

sinophilia -- Granados is justifiably credited with a keen poetic lyricism, and this early work is a clear precursor to his better known Eight Poetic Waltzes. Your rendition was appropriately graceful and elegant; my only suggestion is to approach it the same way with slightly less pedal.

Pianist685 -- Of your two selections, the Satie was the real surprise of the recital -- who would've thought that Satie was a genial purveyor of the Concert Waltz? And this would precede his mystical Rosicrucian phase, with the minimalist Gymnopedies and Gnossienes, and later the strange piano suites, strange in all ways. Very expertly rendered, as was the well-known Brahms Waltz.

barbaram -- Of the two you presented, I was amused by the fact the composer who penned what he declared to be the "Irish Waltz" was easily eclipsed by the "Keegan Waltz", which I found to be REALLY Irish in feel, and was by far my favorite of the two. I'd love to hear the Keegan Waltz set to fiddle, Uillean pipes, and percussion. Solidly presented.

Beemer -- well, this sure ain't Jazz, although Shostakovich did in other cases prove that he understood Jazz very well (I give you "Tea for Two" as an example). I can imagine this as background music for an arty European movie -- and, indeed, a young Shostakovich actually provided live piano music for silent movies as one of his first jobs.

zsolpyW -- I was interested in your interpretation of the posthumous Chopin Waltz, because I myself volunteered to play this in a Chopin Waltz recital on ABF several years back (evidently, that recital is not in Archives). I opted for a little more graceful Parisian feel, if I recall, whereas you play it with an earthier quality that I personally found quite persuasive. Great job on it!

More to follow!
10 485 Read More
Piano Forum
47 minutes ago
Kawai makes some very nice smaller grands in the GX line. Yamaha makes the C1X at just over 5 feet. You might audition these as well.

I personally like Steinway pianos and own a Model B, but I purchased it used for much less than a new Model S. I would definitely play as many pianos of various makes and models as possible before dropping that kind of money for a new piano of kind. Each piano is different. No 2 Steinway Model S pianos will be exactly alike.
21 466 Read More
52 minutes ago
I appreciate all the options, particularly the new entries for under $50. I like the idea of the Superlux HD662-EVO as I like the idea of minor modifications to make a better product. I am pondering this as my choice as I am researching it further. I found this 'diyaudioheaven' article and the PDF it leads to especially interesting. I am not finding it available in the USA though. So can not try it out, and buying it overseas makes it not worth sending back postage wise. But based on what I am reading about it, it is worth gambling on.
47 1,478 Read More
1 hour ago
It's common for merchants with large accounts to scan in orders with couriers at their own distribution center, and for the actual pickup to be a day or two later. It will hit UPS's tracking system as soon as the merchant scans the label, but will not show as "picked up" until the UPS driver scans it on actual pickup.

A seven day difference is the longest that I've personally ever heard of, I assume it could have been for a variety of reasons, including any of those proposed above.
24 800 Read More
Piano Forum
1 hour ago
Wish I could help, I'm a newb, but that C3 is such a beautiful piano. Good luck
6 280 Read More
Adult Beginners Forum
1 hour ago
I am an adult beginner and have been taking piano lessons for almost a year and a half.
I have been using Alfred's Adult All in One method book.
I am currently on page 91 of Volume 1 in this series.

During the first year of my lessons, I was in a hurry to get through to the end of this book.
I stopped taking lessons after October last year due to work limitations.
In addition, it was time for a new teacher.
I started with a new teacher at the beginning of this year and I am quite pleased with him.

At the beginning I explained my goals and he said to me, you have only just started to learn how to play the piano.
You need to take your time and not pressure yourself; it's going to take you several years to get to where you want to be.
After this discussion, I decided to stop worrying about how fast I was getting through my method book and enjoy the experience of learning to play.

I also decided that I would learn every aspect of playing each song which meant
1. Playing slowly but accurately.
2. Using a metronome so that I play evenly and without hesitation.
3. Play smoothly.

I am progressing through my book more slowly, but I think I am learning more completely.
35 869 Read More
Adult Beginners Forum
1 hour ago
The funny thing is that, within a few hours of gratuitously bumping my thread, I have received some news to constitute a real addition.

Besides the main proposed party I have now found that the folk music festival is on 21 & 22 July. So that will merit a second party.
23 1,137 Read More
Adult Beginners Forum
1 hour ago
Pleased you enjoyed it.
8,330 46,257,052 Read More
Adult Beginners Forum
1 hour ago
I open the lid of my upright all the way.
Because the front half folds back and rests on the back half, I had to build a bridge to hold my piano light when the top is folded back, but that was no problem.

I like having the lid open as I get more sound.
I never place anything on the top of my piano except the piano light.
As for music book storage, I purchased a small drawer unit from Ikea which accepts 9inch by 12 inch music books with no problem.
That way everything is neat and tidy.
I should take a picture of my set up and post it I guess.
26 626 Read More
Pianist Corner
2 hours ago
Like Colin, I'm a pretty good sight reader, having learned the art / skill through necessity whlie accompanying choirs / choral societies / soloists etc. for getting on for 50 years.

Without a shadow of a doubt, I largely do it through pattern recognition - that's a scale, that's an arpeggioed seventh ans that's a particular chord etc. etc. and I really don't much mind what key I play in. Just occasionally I see a chord that I've never come across before and it hits me like a road-block, and I check every note in the chord (unless I'm accompanying, in which case I just guess and continue). The snag with my sort of sight reading is that providing it sounds right, you just continue to mis-read the same way in the same old places. Making yourself read every note often throws up things you've been doing wrong for years (and improves your sight reading skills).

Since retiring, I've been doing a lot of sight-reading, and general practising, and I'm now finding that the link between eye and finger is becoming automatic, and I tend to just listen when playing (which is one of the reasons I'm spening a lot of effort in getting correct optimal / better fingering)
7 256 Read More
2 hours ago
The dealer's quoted price on these pianos is just an asking price. You are free to offer a lower figure.
Dealers don't put merchandise on sale. You do!

As for Yamaha vs. Kawai ... I'd lean toward the Kawai. But in the end you have to be satisfied with the piano.

And you need not be concerned about "going against the recommendation" of the experienced pianists in your family.
A general recommendation of one brand over another doesn't mean much.
So unless your experienced pianist accompanies you on a shopping trip to try the pianos first-hand, just set aside his opinion and decide for yourself.
1 128 Read More
Piano Tuner-Technicians Forum
2 hours ago
Originally Posted by Roshan Kakiya

I think we need to test the key signatures that are likely to sound bad in order to test the limits of this tuning. Perhaps potential wolf intervals should be identified and sounded on their own or compared with their corresponding intervals in 12-TET.

Scala has analysis tools to answer that. I like temperament radar see picture.
Green is ET, purple circle Pythagorean M3 (wolf limit).
You can see unusable wolf P5 are BbF DA BF# F#C#.
Unusable M3 are on F# B E A, DF# is Pythagorean, and m3's are bad on C# G# Eb Bb.

[Linked Image]
23 741 Read More
2 hours ago
That's cool, when you get to that first time where you "made it work" all the way from sensor to MIDI output. After that, it all becomes a question of implementation.
54 2,042 Read More
Piano Forum
2 hours ago
Some time ago some of us took this pitch discrimination test Adaptive Pitch Discrimination Test and the best results were of the order of 0.5Hz of better if I recall correctly.

Give it a try and let us know the results!

53 2,397 Read More
Piano Forum
2 hours ago
Yes - the piano dates back to 1923. Back then Sohmer pianos were apparently well respected. Whether the piano would be suitable for your church is another matter. How would you plan to use it? In weekly church services? As for any needed repairs - only a qualified piano tech could advise you on that. If you sell it, be aware that it probably isn't worth much.
2 90 Read More
Piano Forum
3 hours ago
Originally Posted by Rickster
Nice video, Max! Congratulations on your return to the music school.

I've played pianos before that were recently tuned (within hours) by an RPT, only to notice some unisons out of tune and twangy already. Although I'm a dabbler and not an RPT, when I tune my pianos, I strike the test blows hard while adjusting the pitch/tuning pin. Next, after all 88 notes are tuned, clean and pure, I play the piano hard from top to bottom and then check the unisons again and make adjustments where necessary.

Tuning stability is not an easy thing to achieve, with many variables. The evidence of a really good piano tuner is tuning stability after hard playing. For example, you would not want a concert piano to lose tuning stability during the middle of a concert, although I'm sure that has occurred from time to time. However, all pianos drift out of tune over time; some slowly, and some more quickly than others.

Thanks for sharing, and I hope all is well in Russia!

Thank you for your message, Rick.
Pleases the desire of people of goodwill to do good, wherever we are now.
I also check with a strong blow a stabilition of a pin. I check the bass register especially.
In Russia always good. The King (tsar) lives his life and the people are satisfied with their own needs. The main thing is that their paths do not never intersected. Then there will be peace in the whole world, I think
good luck,
4 176 Read More
Piano Teachers Forum
3 hours ago
Originally Posted by Lakeviewsteve
My only thoughts would be to encourage those you feel appropriate, to continue taking piano as an elective in college if it is available to them. The school of music at the University I went to said I couldn't enroll in private piano unless I was a music major (I majored in accounting). I didn't want to take no for an answer and went over to the school of music's piano department. After a lesson had ended, I asked the instructor if he had any openings. He let me play for him and said he would call me if something opened up. He called the next day and I ended up enrolling with him for private piano for 4 years! He was amazing and was probably the best instructor I ever had. Private piano was 1 credit per semester so I received 8 credits of A's going toward my GPA!

That's encouraging, Steve! Great story--thanks for sharing it. smile

Your thoughts also got me to thinking that not only could I encourage those students to study piano as an elective, but I could also invite them to return to my studio on summer breaks, if they come home for jobs or whatever during their college breaks. And if they're unable to study piano in college, part-time study in my studio over school breaks during those years would move them from full-time to part-time piano student status, rather than full-time down to nothing.

And after college, proceeding further into adult piano studies...

Thank you for stretching my thinking beyond the next few months. grin
2 151 Read More
Piano Forum
3 hours ago
Originally Posted by Plowboy

This relates indirectly to something I read in the article you posted. There is one small music store in the largest town near me, Griffin, Ga. The store sells digital pianos, but no acoustic pianos. They sell a ton of guitars, amps, drums, PA systems and other musical instruments though. And, their prices are competitive with the biggest and best music retailers in the business, including Guitar Center.

My son, who is a very good guitarist, was visiting the store recently. He told me one of the owners of the shop said the main-stream manufacturers, like Gibson, Fender, etc... were requiring them to order and stock larger and larger inventories of instruments in order to keep the dealership of the brand. Keep in mind, the size of this store is probably like 30' X 60' total. That is 1800 square feet, and not all of it showroom floor space. It's difficult to keep $250,000 worth of one brand of guitars, amps or other in that small of a space. They've been around a long time, and I've bought several nice musical instruments from them over the years. I hope they can stay in business and maintain the dealerships for the top brands of instruments.

I did not see where the article mentioned it's (Gibson's) subsidiary, Baldwin pianos.

41 2,905 Read More
Piano Forum
3 hours ago
Originally Posted by BruceD
When talking about dusting rather than polishing, I have found that the furniture brush from my vacuum works well, just as it does on all the other wood furniture in the house. It minimizes pushing dirt around or into the finish and, being careful not to use pressure when vacuuming, I have yet to see a single scratch or mark on my piano's finish after 12 years.

I don't polish it, since it's an ebony satin finish. Occasionally, after vacuuming, I will wipe with a slightly dampened cloth. That seems to be all this finish needs, up to the present.

Good that your finish can take a vacuum cleaner brush. It would absolutely kill my High Gloss Black finish. Feather duster then Cory piano polish with Cory microfibre cloth which I keep frequently washed in a poly bag.

23 840 Read More
Piano Tuner-Technicians Forum
4 hours ago
Originally Posted by BDB
As you said, varnish is a vague term whose meaning has changed over the years. What was referred to as varnish in the days before synthetic resins were resins that were either dissolved in oils or in alcohol. The oil varnishes were used for items that are used outdoors, and the alcohol varnishes were used indoors on things like pianos. Shellac was just one of the resins used. Different resins would be used to give different characteristics, like flexibility, wear resistance, and the ability to be rubbed to a particular sheen. This was written about in the literature of the time. I think there is a discussion in Piano Tone Building.

Don't have the book-- see it on Amazon though ("Forgotten Books Publishers" LOL)... Was there anything other than a discussion? Any actually info on the use of the types of varnishes being employed at the time (their popularity), Ed?

6 251 Read More
Page 1 of 25 1 2 3 24 25
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Any idea on what this Sohmer is worth? Donated to my church
by Sohmer Cupid Piano. 03/21/18 01:27 PM
Kawai CN27 vs Yamaha CLP-625 and Costco
by MallocArray. 03/21/18 12:10 PM
How often do you change you teachers?
by PianoStartsAt33. 03/21/18 11:58 AM
New postings indicator
by PhilipInChina. 03/21/18 05:43 AM
max is back
by Maximillyan. 03/21/18 05:32 AM
Pianist Magazine
Pianist Magazine - Play Debussy
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Pearl River & Ritmuller
Pearl River Pianos
PianoTeq 6 Out now
Piano Acc. & Gift Items in
Piano World's Online Store
Save Big In our online store now

In PianoSupplies.com ,(a division of Piano World)
our online store for piano and music gifts and accessories, Digital Piano Dolly, party goods, tuning equipment, piano moving equipment, benches, lamps Caster Cups and more.

Free Shipping* on Jansen Artist Piano Benches, Cocoweb Piano Lamps, Hidrau Hydraulic Piano Benches
(*free shipping within contiguous U.S. only)
Forum Statistics
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Sanderson Accu-Tuner
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe
Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2018 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission