2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
59 members (baronzo, Bellyman, Berto, AWilley, anotherscott, Adam Reynolds, 36251, 1957, 16 invisible), 1,535 guests, and 278 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
OP Online Content

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Thanks for sharing this. I'm a big fan. I would have loved to have been there.

Best regards,

Deborah

Platinum Supporter until November 30 2022
Online Content

Platinum Supporter until November 30 2022
Originally Posted by gooddog
Thanks for sharing this. I'm a big fan. I would have loved to have been there.
Ditto !!! Perahia played in Phoenix a few weeks ago and I truly regret that I wasn't able to attend.

Mason and Hamlin BB - 91640
Kawai K-500 Upright
Kawai CA-65 Digital
Korg SP-100 Stage Piano
YouTube channel - http://www.youtube.com/user/pianophilo
Gold Subscriber
Gold Subscriber
I have always been a strong Perahia fan.

One of my most enduring and fondest musical memories is of his wonderful "return" recital in Carnegie Hall in April, 1994. This was after several years off the concert stage due to a hand injury, and the pre-concert concern among his admirers was whether or not he would live up to his past reputation.

What I remember most about the recital, apart from the Beethoven sonata and the Brahms Rhapsodies he played was a shimmering, evanescent Chopin "Berceuse". There was not the vaguest thought that he had lost one iota of his "elegant technique" (Bernard Holland, in NYT, 11 April, 1994) in anything on the program.

I believe that his late 1970's / early 1980's recordings of the Mozart piano concerti have never been surpassed.

I'm heartened - and not at all surprised - that he is still "going strong."

Regards,

BruceD
- - - - -
Estonia 190
L
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
L
Perahia, definitely a superb musician, one of the few pianists of wide reknown whom I'd go hear for well-known music, he seems humble before the music and transmits his admiration. I heard him at the Halle aux grains in Toulouse, France in the year 2000 I believe. The Goldberg Varations, a lovely reading.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
yes he is a good pianist but very ordinary nothing special about him he is just a "good" pianist nothing more.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
had the pleasure of auditing a master class he held at NU a couple years ago. what he brought to each student was awe-inspiring.

he is one of my favorite pianists, due in part to the following conversation i had with my teacher a couple weeks ago, who said that we are waiters delivering the food to the customer; we don't add our own spices, it's our job to deliver exactly as the chef has prepared the dish. for me, perahia does this precisely -- a conduit thru which the composers' wishes pass to the audience without affectation, in its essential form.

I
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
I
Originally Posted by Batuhan
yes he is a good pianist but very ordinary nothing special about him he is just a "good" pianist nothing more.

"very ordinary" , "nothing special" ... youtube level comment right there.

J
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
J
Originally Posted by BruceD
I believe that his late 1970's / early 1980's recordings of the Mozart piano concerti have never been surpassed.

Not even by Ashkenazy? eek

Townley: Piano Concerto No 2 in C Minor Op 2
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AK1WR7oPY44
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by J Joe Townley

Ashkenazy plays everything well, but it's all a bit generic. It's clear to me that Perahia has lavished great care on each concerto.

It's my great priviledge to have heard him live twice, and my sadness that it's been only twice. His recording activity seems to have slown to a crawl - although I've heard he had a new Brahms Intermezzi CD due out this summer.

Hank Drake

Admin: https://www.facebook.com/groups/VladimirHorowitzPianist

The composers want performers be imaginative, in the direction of their thinking--not just robots, who execute orders.
George Szell
Gold Subscriber
Gold Subscriber
Originally Posted by J Joe Townley

I've been a great fan of Ashkenazy for decades; his early recordings of many Chopin works seem ideal to me, and I have admired his Rachmaninoff as well.

I confess to not having heard his Mozart concerti. With Perahia's recordings of the concerti, I feel there is a youthful freshness combined with refinement and elegance that I have not heard in other recordings and that many critics have praised. Whether or not these recordings have been surpassed may be open to more critical examination than I have given the question. That said, the Perahia recordings of the Mozart concerti will never have to be replaced in my collection because, after repeated hearings over the years, they remain fresh and vibrant.

Regards,

BruceD
- - - - -
Estonia 190
B
B
If we're talking Mozart piano concerti, I don't think there's any pianist that can encompass them all (nos. 9 onwards) with equal success.

I find Perahia too 'safe' too often, and generally prefer Uchida, Pletnev, Gulda (with VPO/Abbado, not his other more extreme versions where he also plays 'continuo' and interpolates his own improv), Barenboim, Curzon, Pires, Pollini....and yes, Ashkenazy.

If music be the food of love, play on!
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
With Perahia's recordings of the concerti, I feel there is a youthful freshness combined with refinement and elegance that I have not heard in other recordings and that many critics have praised. Whether or not these recordings have been surpassed may be open to more critical examination than I have given the question. That said, the Perahia recordings of the Mozart concerti will never have to be replaced in my collection because, after repeated hearings over the years, they remain fresh and vibrant.

This exactly describes my relationship with Perahia's recordings of the Mozart concerti, which I've been listening to for decades.

-J

Moderated by  Brendan, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Help with Blasius & Sons Grand Piano
by SusiMI - 05/07/24 09:55 PM
High-efficiency composers
by chopinetto - 05/07/24 09:44 PM
Kawai MP11SE with microphone for vocals?
by liqui1dblue - 05/07/24 07:36 PM
ATCL Digital Diploma doubts
by SRach - 05/07/24 05:01 PM
Dare to be wrong
by ranjit - 05/07/24 04:31 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,671
Posts3,353,094
Members111,805
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission