2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
46 members (brdwyguy, Cheeeeee, Damien PG, benkeys, CharlesXX, AlkansBookcase, anotherscott, CraiginNZ, 7 invisible), 1,477 guests, and 525 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
Is there a consensus around octaves being done with only 1-5? It was mentioned in some other thread. I was taught to use 1-4 on black keys as I'm sure many were. I'm looking for more opinions on this. I will post a couple passages of a piece I'm working on and I've noticed it's not too hard to change the printed fingering so that I only use 1-5...But I'm not sure it's worth my time to change the fingering I'm already using.

[Linked Image]

Is this different because there is a middle note? Here is another example:

[Linked Image]

T
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
T
I didn't read the other thread, but my reaction is that the consensus absolutely should be that octaves are NOT done only with 1-5 in all cases. In the particular examples you cite, from the Chopin Ballade #3, for example, I believe you want to attain a smoothness of gesture and a singing line, both of which will be seriously compromised if everything is 1-5. The one piece that come to mind is Chopin's Octave Etude from Op 25 -- I'm willing to bet that nobody recommends 1-5 across the board: they couldn't possibly get through the piece.

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
I think it's probably the way it is because of your need to maintain the melodic line. But I am not capable of playing the piece you're posting, so let's just take my opinion for whatever it appears to be worth to you! smile

For me, I don't always play them 1-5. I think if I had smaller hands, I might be forced to (as it turns out, I apparently have very large hands for a woman of my size, with a spread that seems to surprise my teacher, but fortunately for my non-piano playing life they don't appear that way until I'm at the keyboard), but I might alternate 4/5/4/5 if I'm walking down an octave line that requires melodic continuity.

Here's an example in a piece I'm working on:

[Linked Image]

Obviously, if I'm at fortissimo and am shooting them out like cannons (not often at my level, let's just say) I'd probably stay at 1-5.

Last edited by TwoSnowflakes; 08/07/13 10:33 AM.
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by tbuscuit
Is there a consensus around octaves being done with only 1-5?....

There's a very simple answer: NO. smile

Many people do advocate the 1-5 thing, and to some extent this goes in cycles, with one way or another being said by many to be the real best way, and with that one 'best way' changing. But no, there's absolutely no consensus, and I think it's safe to say that even those who adhere to some such dictum make exceptions.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
One need only ask Octavian that question:

www.youtube.com/watch?v=pbq-laOlYbc

Hank Drake

Admin: https://www.facebook.com/groups/VladimirHorowitzPianist

The composers want performers be imaginative, in the direction of their thinking--not just robots, who execute orders.
George Szell
D
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
D
Originally Posted by Mark_C
Originally Posted by tbuscuit
Is there a consensus around octaves being done with only 1-5?....

There's a very simple answer: NO. smile

Many people do advocate the 1-5 thing, and to some extent this goes in cycles, with one way or another being said by many to be the real best way, and with that one 'best way' changing. But no, there's absolutely no consensus, and I think it's safe to say that even those who adhere to some such dictum make exceptions.

Yep, what I find real interesting in this is the very first note. The score advocates a grace note octave landing on a 15 octave. I advocate for the 15 method, but I'm pretty sure I'd play the grace note 15, and the landing 14. (Probably would depend on my mood, though.. lol)

As a side note, there really aren't any pure "octaves" in those passages, and that can change the game considerably. For instance: the jump from C-Ab-C to Ab-F-Ab. Playing an octave C to Ab to C isn't that hard to do 15. But making that leap with an "inside" F is much more difficult, so that might be one place where the fingering changes. (I'd have to put it under my fingers to be sure, but I recognized the potential difficulty there by sight.)

Every day we are afforded a new chance. The problem with life is not that you run out of chances. In the end, what you run out of are days.
E
E
@TwoSnowflakes
It's simply a practical reason to play 1-4,1-5.
Most of the time with 1-4 you have the finger 5 already above the next key without moving the hand, so the execution is faster and it's easier to remember by muscle memory.
In addition, changing the finger allow you to get legato if it's necessary.

Last edited by eulerdisk; 08/07/13 11:52 AM.
7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
I have never had the slightest tension problem or discomfort from sometimes using 1-4 on black keys.

D
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
D
I even do some 1-3.

Longtemps, je me suis couché de bonne heure, but not anymore!
D
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
D
The closer to middle C I get, the more likely I'll use 1-5. Otherwise, I use 1-4 and even 1-3 at times.

K
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
K
The two examples (Chopin's 3rd Ballade, and Rachmaninoff's C# minor prelude) are slow enough that 1-4 isn't really that much of a bad idea. If we're discussing the Dante sonata...then possibly 1-4 should be avoided in some spots due to the volume, speed and length of the octave passages.

Working on:
Chopin - Nocturne op. 48 no.1
Debussy - Images Book II

R
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
R
Yes, as Mark C says: NO.

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
No.

[Linked Image]

Music is my best friend.

1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
Thanks for the responses. It's a strange question but this has been helpful for me. I found a lot of the fingerings in this edition to be a bit odd but in the end I have used a lot of them. I have even used a 3 on some octaves which I hadn't really thought to do before. Not the one referenced in that first image, I do that first measure as (1-5),1-4,1-5,1-3-5,1-3-5,1-2-4,1-3-5,1-3-5
I tried the 3-2-1 but don't see the point. At the required tempo I think it's pretty flexible in general.

But for the second example I posted (starting 2nd bar), I did use the listed fingering at first but am now just using 1-4-5 throughout and it seems much simpler. Haven't got that part to tempo yet so we'll see what happens.

P
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
P
Originally Posted by Kuanpiano
The two examples (Chopin's 3rd Ballade, and Rachmaninoff's C# minor prelude) are slow enough that 1-4 isn't really that much of a bad idea. If we're discussing the Dante sonata...then possibly 1-4 should be avoided in some spots due to the volume, speed and length of the octave passages.

I agree with your first sentence, and violently disagree with your second. I think that injuries are MORE likely to result from attempting to use using 1-5 for everything than from using other fingers for some octaves.

To anyone who supports this ridiculous all 1-5 method, I'd like to hear your recording of the Chopin Etude Opus 25 No 10.

Regards,

Polyphonist
A
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
A
Originally Posted by Polyphonist

To anyone who supports this ridiculous all 1-5 method, I'd like to hear your recording of the Chopin Etude Opus 25 No 10.

+100. Well said, sir.

(I cannot imagine that Kuan -whose posts I always admire- would disagree... would you?)

Jason
N
N
I didn't even know that some people advocated the use of 1-5, and nothing else, for octaves.
Personnally, I even use 1-3 a lot, in 3 notes passages (followed by 1-4 and 1-5), to achieve a legato sound.

B
B
My one - and only - injury from piano playing was from practising the 'galloping' LH octaves in Chopin's Op.53 using just 1-5: the PIPJ (first joint) of my left pinky became inflamed from RSI.

Once I'd switched to using 1-4 for the black keys, all that resolved. That was many years ago. And it's never recurred, though I've played many, many more harder pieces with octave runs etc - the vast majority of them using 1-4 for black octaves.

If music be the food of love, play on!
K
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
K

I agree with your first sentence, and violently disagree with your second. I think that injuries are MORE likely to result from attempting to use using 1-5 for everything than from using other fingers for some octaves.

It really depends on the passage, and there's no reason, IMO, to stick to a conventional fingering just for the heck of it. I would use 1-4 in that etude, but I would probably use all 1-5 for the end of op. 10 no.5, because they octaves are more punctuated, non-legato, loud, and all on the same level. Convention might instead say to use all 1-4 because they're all black keys.

I think we aee more or less on the same page... where fingering is chosen not just on a legato or arbitrary basis, but is a balance on what effect you need, what your hands can give you and what your hands can handle before injury begins.

Working on:
Chopin - Nocturne op. 48 no.1
Debussy - Images Book II

D
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
D

I've never played it, but if it is true octaves, I guarantee it can be played all 15. I've never met an octave section I couldn't play 15.

However, to be fair, I'll take a look at the score when I have a second.

Every day we are afforded a new chance. The problem with life is not that you run out of chances. In the end, what you run out of are days.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Brendan, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Soaking Troubled Damper in Protek
by TimM_980 - 04/26/24 07:58 PM
IBACH serial numbers
by Mark_S - 04/26/24 07:07 PM
Cabinet to Slab Yamaha YDP-323
by JonathanF - 04/26/24 04:23 PM
Would you consider this a warranty case?
by engblom - 04/26/24 04:00 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,520
Posts3,351,141
Members111,719
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission