2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
45 members (AlkansBookcase, Adam Reynolds, AWilley, ChickenBrother, Cheeeeee, apianostudent, Berto, 12 invisible), 1,580 guests, and 336 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#2071102 04/25/13 11:44 PM
A
Bronze Subscriber
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
Bronze Subscriber
1000 Post Club Member
A
A friend has approached me for advice. He's in his late 30's, and used to play the piano when he was a kid, but hasn't touched a piano in over 20 years. He has a young son who has shown an interest in taking up the instrument, and he would like to take it up again himself. He wants to purchase a grand piano in the 6'-7' length range, and he has a budget of $25,000.

I know that there are new consumer-grade and intermediate-grade "parlor grands" that can be purchased at that price. However, I am curious if there are used/pre-owned/whatever PERFORMANCE-GRADE grands that can be purchased for $25,000 or less.

I am not talking about a broken-down "fixer-upper" piano. The instrument would have to be fully functional. It might need tuning, voicing, regulation, maybe some new hammers, but that's it.

Is my friend wasting his time, or can one realistically hope to obtain a performance-grade used 6'-7' grand piano for under 25 grand? (Pardon the pun.)

What say you?

B
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
B
Are you kidding? Of course you can! And it shouldn't be difficult, either. Now, you won't be able to get a good Steinway B for that, but a 7' Baldwin is totally doable.

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
I had no problem finding a tier 1 piano for WAY LESS than $25K. Just read the PB to see what was tops 25 years ago and shop for one.

M
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
M
Originally Posted by Guapo Gabacho
I had no problem finding a tier 1 piano for WAY LESS than $25K. Just read the PB to see what was tops 25 years ago and shop for one.

Chances are something 25 years old in this price range would need work, however.

You may want to look into Hailun pianos. You can get a decent sized one in that price range brand new, and they are highly rated.

private piano/voice teacher FT

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
C
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
C
There are many performance quality pianos in the 10-15 year old category that may be almost like new and in this price range, but it takes some looking around and anything found should be checked by a technician before purchasing. It can actually be fun looking.

A
Bronze Subscriber
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
Bronze Subscriber
1000 Post Club Member
A
Originally Posted by Guapo Gabacho

Thanks, Guapo. Is "PB" short for "Piano Book", or short for "Piano Buyer"?

Platinum Supporter until October 5 2014
7000 Post Club Member

7000 Post Club Member
Almaviva,

It really doesn't matter as "Piano Book" was first published in 2001. Twenty five years ago, the great European brands were virtually unknown in the US. However, the finest builders 25 years ago are the same as they are today. The newcommers in the pack are Fazioli, Charles Walter, Shigeru Kawai and Estonia. The Chinese builders were totally unheard of and the quality of Yamaha and Kawai was not like it is today.

You mentioned "parlor grands." Is that a reference to the Cunningham "Parlour" at 5'10"? If so, that is a very beautiful sounding piano and for new instruments, in the price range you mentioned, I consider it to be the best of the bunch.

In the current market, Baldwins from that era have popped up as being very fine pianos at a great price.

Marty in Minnesota

It's much easier to bash a Steinway than it is to play one.
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Minnesota Marty
Almaviva,

It really doesn't matter as "Piano Book" was first published in 2001. Twenty five years ago, the great European brands were virtually unknown in the US. However, the finest builders 25 years ago are the same as they are today. The newcommers in the pack are Fazioli, Charles Walter, Shigeru Kawai and Estonia. The Chinese builders were totally unheard of and the quality of Yamaha and Kawai was not like it is today.

Correction: "The Piano Book" by Larry Fine was first published in 1987.

At that time (25+ years ago), the great European brands were not at all 'virtually unknown' in the US.

Also by that time, the quality of Yamaha and Kawai was about the same as it is today.

Thanks,

Nick

Nick's Piano Showroom
Naples, Fort Myers, & Sarasota, FL
New Estonia, Mason & Hamlin, Kawai, Brodmann & Ritmuller
239-206-4541 direct line
www.nickspiano.com

Concert Piano Technician, Dealer, and Pianist
A
Bronze Subscriber
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
Bronze Subscriber
1000 Post Club Member
A
Originally Posted by Minnesota Marty
You mentioned "parlor grands." Is that a reference to the Cunningham "Parlour" at 5'10"? If so, that is a very beautiful sounding piano and for new instruments, in the price range you mentioned, I consider it to be the best of the bunch.

Thanks for the advice, Marty. I was referring to "parlor grand" in the generic sense, i.e. a grand piano between 6' and 7' in length.

You mentioned Cunningham Piano. I believe Cunningham modifies Hailun pianos. I was wondering - since Hailun is not a "Tier 1" piano, how good can a modified Hailun be? (Rich, if you want to contribute, please do so! wink

7000 Post Club Member

7000 Post Club Member
Hi Nick,

You are right about the publication date - my bad!

However, in the USA, the great European builders were just coming on the radar screen. We have come a long way since, and much of our awareness is due to Larry Fine's books. Unless talking to a piano geek, Steingraeber or Sauter would draw a blank stare. Bosendorfer was the exception.

I totally disagree about Kawai and Yamaha. In 1988 they were decent, but not nearly the pianos they have become. They have evolved considerably.

Marty in Minnesota

7000 Post Club Member

7000 Post Club Member
Almaviva,

The Cunningham isn't a modified Hailun, it is a totally different design, by Frank Emerson and based on the original Cunninghams, and built by Hailun. To my ear, it is totally different than its cousins and far surpasses them.

You are correct, it is not a "Tier 1" piano. However, at its price point, it offers lots of bang for the buck.

But, back to your original question, it is certainly possible to find a performance grade instrument in that price range. The trade off is that it would be an aging instrument and could very well need considerable maintenance in the near future.

Marty in Minnesota

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Marty,

It is possible to make the case that in certain aspects, Japanese pianos are not as well constructed (some models) now as they were in the late 1980's.

Some even say they 'peaked' in the 90's for sure. Now of course there have been some fluff innovations since then, but I am talking about the core build.

A primary reasoning for this is that in the 1980's there was competition coming on strong from Korea, and the Japanese makers had to tighten their belts for sure!

Since that time, more cheaper models have been introduced to remain competitive than the opposite, and manufacturing moved to places like Indonesia and China. Made in Japan is not as much as what it used to be.

Nick's Piano Showroom
Naples, Fort Myers, & Sarasota, FL
New Estonia, Mason & Hamlin, Kawai, Brodmann & Ritmuller
239-206-4541 direct line
www.nickspiano.com

Concert Piano Technician, Dealer, and Pianist
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Hi Alma,

Just out of curiosity, have you looked on eBay for a good piano yet? All the dealers, many private parties, and most of the larger rebuilders list their pianos for sale there.

Prices have come down so much in the market as a whole, and even on Tier 1 instruments, that I think you could find something in the 6'-7' range for that price easily. And with some life left in it!

Moderated by  Gombessa, Piano World, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Houston, we have a problem
by rickb119 - 04/25/24 09:25 PM
New Chord uses every note
by KenBakerMN - 04/25/24 05:44 PM
Online Jazz School this Saturday 4/27
by Dfrankjazz - 04/25/24 05:17 PM
If you service "lesser" pianos
by RonTuner - 04/25/24 03:10 PM
1980's Bechstein action
by jkess114 - 04/25/24 02:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,501
Posts3,350,954
Members111,710
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission