2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
58 members (accordeur, brdwyguy, Carey, AlkansBookcase, 20/20 Vision, Charles Cohen, 36251, benkeys, bcalvanese, 6 invisible), 1,908 guests, and 290 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
peterws Offline OP
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Recent discussions have begged the question; NU1 owners using VSTs; others with hybrids do too from time to time.
A fairly decent upright silent would retail at £6900; cheaper available down to £5200.
I guess that's expensive, certainly these have gone up lately in price. But you know, they're rather good and of course, the real deal.
A hybrid is hmmmmm;a decent digital with a decent upright or baby grand action and can cost a lot more than said acoustics.
Thoughts? My own is that one day I will have a silent acoustic; prob a k300 Anytime.
Well, maybe not anytime soon, but I am getting on a bit . . .

"I am not a man. I am a free number"

"[Linked Image]"
V
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
V
Originally Posted by peterws
A hybrid is hmmmmm;a decent digital with a decent upright or baby grand action and can cost a lot more than said acoustics.

Certainly agree that the difference may be small and rhe silent acoustic being worthwhile, but I am not sure of an hybrid being more expensive than the comparable silent acoustic... A silent sc2 b1 is more expensive than nu1x (small difference of 400 euros) in my country and the same thing with kawai b15 atx3 vs nv5. Then you have to consider that speakers need to be included in the equation (or the cost of regular tuning) and be sure that output midi exists (I think that some silent systems only include headphone out, and do not send midi values...). And not sure to which model the actions are comparable... Maybe the nv5 action is the same as k200 and not b15, and the nu1x action comparing to u1 and not b1 (no expertise on this...).

As an example Gamma1734 bought a kawai k200 atx3...

Last edited by vagfilm; 10/23/21 07:57 AM.
S
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
S
Originally Posted by peterws
Recent discussions have begged the question; NU1 owners using VSTs; others with hybrids do too from time to time.
A fairly decent upright silent would retail at £6900; cheaper available down to £5200.
I guess that's expensive, certainly these have gone up lately in price. But you know, they're rather good and of course, the real deal.
Thoughts? My own is that one day I will have a silent acoustic; prob a k300 Anytime.
Well, maybe not anytime soon, but I am getting on a bit . . .
I occasionally use my iPad with my NU1 just to have a different piano sound from those built in, or even for fun with guitar or organ or synth sounds, etc.

I too am or have been considering an acoustic, originally a K500 which I have played, but lately a K300 which I have not. But that opens up the problem of maintaining reasonable levels of humidity, tuning, and managing the limitation of just one piano sound so that for variety I would have to get a slab DP or controller for iPad sounds. Then there's the side thought that maybe an NV5S will give me enough satisfaction for a step up and change, but no chance of trying one at the moment. So my faithful NU1 goes on with me on this journey, although I have recently added a Casio CTS1 and Yamaha Reface CP with DAW to explore other musical directions.

P
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
P
Originally Posted by spanishbuddha
I too am or have been considering an acoustic, originally a K500 which I have played, but lately a K300 which I have not. But that opens up the problem of maintaining reasonable levels of humidity, tuning, and managing the limitation of just one piano sound so that for variety I would have to get a slab DP or controller for iPad sounds.

I can recommend the silent version of the K300 if you'd like to keep the advantages of a digital, but also want an acoustic action + sound. It can confirm though what you say about humidity. I recently bought both a humidifier and dehumidifier for my K300, otherwise the large humidity variation in my home (between 30% and 70%) affects the tuning of the piano too much. And tuning is about 95 euros each time (once/twice a year). So there are definitely added costs. The dehumidifier is also quite noisy, so you can only run it for a longer duration if you are not around (or at night).

S
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
S
Originally Posted by pianogabe
Originally Posted by spanishbuddha
I too am or have been considering an acoustic, originally a K500 which I have played, but lately a K300 which I have not. But that opens up the problem of maintaining reasonable levels of humidity, tuning, and managing the limitation of just one piano sound so that for variety I would have to get a slab DP or controller for iPad sounds.

I can recommend the silent version of the K300 if you'd like to keep the advantages of a digital, but also want an acoustic action + sound. It can confirm though what you say about humidity. I recently bought both a humidifier and dehumidifier for my K300, otherwise the large humidity variation in my home (between 30% and 70%) affects the tuning of the piano too much. And tuning is about 95 euros each time (once/twice a year). So there are definitely added costs. The dehumidifier is also quite noisy, so you can only run it for a longer duration if you are not around (or at night).
Thanks. As part of this restlessness I looked a bit into humidifiers. I already have a small portable one and yes it's noisy. Someone else on another thread recommended this one from Meaco as being quite quiet. I/you would have to figure out if it's good enough for the room/space.

Silver Subscriber
1000 Post Club Member
Online Sick
Silver Subscriber
1000 Post Club Member
I have an acoustic and a digital piano. When I want to record myself or play without disturbing everyone, I use my digital. I don't mind if my digital piano is old and does not have the latest piano action because when I want a digital piano that play and feel like an acoustic, I play my acoustic piano.

“To send light into the darkness of men’s hearts - such is the duty of the artist.”
- Robert Schumann

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Recommended Songs for Beginners
by FreddyM - 04/16/24 03:20 PM
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,392
Posts3,349,293
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission