Piano World Home Page
Posted By: HZPiano When I Survey the Wondrous Cross - 10/21/21 12:25 PM
Hello,

@David B, This definitely requires explanation 😉 😄.

After? (Sounds gorgeous).

Before? (Quite nice as well).

Or...?

😉

Cheers and blissful playing,

HZ
Posted By: David B Re: When I Survey the Wondrous Cross - 10/21/21 05:16 PM
The acoustic is a version a recorded a few years ago and uploaded again today for a discussion on https://pianoclack.com/forum/

The Blüthner is a recording I did recently for the Blüthner thread you started.

God Bless,
David
Posted By: HZPiano Re: When I Survey the Wondrous Cross - 10/21/21 06:04 PM
Hello,

@David, My post this afternoon was meant as a light/humorous touch and a thumbs up to you.

One could almost see those two videos as a before/after, where 'after' would be 'I now play/own this beautiful Kawai grand after first making my miles on a digital'.

It strikes me as remarkable that the Kawai recording is already from some years back. To my ears you sound more grounded, musical, at home, whatever the proper wording is, on the Kawai grand. So that also led me to a (false, as it now turns out) impression of being your more recent, more developed playing.

Cheers and the happiest playing,

HZ
Posted By: David B Re: When I Survey the Wondrous Cross - 10/21/21 06:49 PM
Originally Posted by HZPiano
It strikes me as remarkable that the Kawai recording is already from some years back. To my ears you sound more grounded, musical, at home, whatever the proper wording is, on the Kawai grand. So that also led me to a (false, as it now turns out) impression of being your more recent, more developed playing.

I can understand why you would think that. The acoustic recording was done when I first learned the song and I was playing it much more regularly back then. However, older songs don't get practiced as much when new songs are added to the repertoire.

I really hadn't been playing the song much when I recorded it with the Blüthner for your thread, and I'm sure that accounts for the difference you hear.

God Bless,
David
Posted By: EPW Re: When I Survey the Wondrous Cross - 10/21/21 07:16 PM
Not to mention Dave, you were also in love playing the Grand Piano!
Posted By: ronlefebvre Re: When I Survey the Wondrous Cross - 10/21/21 08:08 PM
Love hearing David play. Both versions sounded great. Also nice to hear the difference between the digital and acoustic.

Ron
© Piano World Piano & Digital Piano Forums