Piano World Home Page
Posted By: Kend Kawai NV5 Hissing Sound - 10/18/21 09:58 PM
Hi!

I own a Kawai NV5 piano and have an issue with it that I don't see anywhere online.

I bought the piano from a reputable company where I live (in Belgium) in August 2020 and used it as my 'main' piano ever since.

As I use the piano (almost) every day, I didn't really hear the problem myself.
It's only when a friend came over and played the piano that he said there was some kind of hissing sound coming out of the speaker when pressing a key.

This sound is most noticeable in the low/mid of the piano and fades away with the sound of the piano itself. Once you notice it, you kinda can't unnotice it...

It can be heared in the speakers and headphone out, but not in the line out of internal recording.

I recorded the piano with a Zoom H5 mic, and at the sime time with the I ternal recorder on an USB stick.

The result of this you can hear via the onedrive link here:
NV5 Sound
(best to listen to with headphones or monitors)

Has anyone had this problem aswell?

I reported it to the store where I bought it a couple of weeks ago, but received a very sceptical reply...
Posted By: Marcus Lai Re: Kawai NV5 Hissing Sound - 10/19/21 01:10 PM
yes. i play almost exclusively with headphones and my nv5 is a cesspool of hiss.

firstly when i have "line in" audio (*) - i have a post on it here along with a youtube video. but also just like you say, in the low / mid keys there is a hiss that sounds like something is sticking to the key before it fades. i honestly dont know how to describe it but i've never encountered this in another DP. (i've played yamaha CLP 3/4xx and roland hp6xx.) it's as if the shigeru or whatever sound source recorded for the keys had some noise in the sampling process.

the vendor here has replaced the piano but the second one has the same issues.

(*) i have narrowed down this line in hiss to when i am depressing the right pedal and playing barefoot. somehow i am creating a ground connection with my foot via the right pedal and this causing the electronics to have a hissing noise. it's annoying as heck.
Posted By: Zanoni Re: Kawai NV5 Hissing Sound - 10/19/21 01:23 PM
Originally Posted by Kend
I bought the piano from a reputable company where I live (in Belgium) in August 2020 and used it as my 'main' piano ever since.

As I use the piano (almost) every day, I didn't really hear the problem myself.

It's only when a friend came over and played the piano that he said there was some kind of hissing sound coming out of the speaker when pressing a key.

Please Kend, go back to your own ears. For months you did not hear anything strange in the way your piano sounds. Only after your friend came over and made his comment, and destroyed your own authentic experience, you started to hear a hiss.

I listened to your sound sample; there's nothing wrong with the sound. It's just the way the Kawai samples sound.

Just 'Forget about it'. Start playing and enjoying your piano as you used to. Stop listening to that friend; he's your enemy in disguise.
Posted By: ˆTomLCˆ Re: Kawai NV5 Hissing Sound - 10/19/21 01:54 PM
Could it just be the (sort of overdone) resonance in the Kawai samples? I prefer a cleaner sound myself and use VST’S.
Posted By: pppianomarc Re: Kawai NV5 Hissing Sound - 10/19/21 02:34 PM
It's just the way the Kawai samples sound.

Whatever it is what you hear, there's an easy way to find out if it's part of the samples, or added by the amplifier/speaker system: Use the USB audio audio recorder to create a digital copy and play it back on a different amplifier/speaker system.

I don't know if the USB audio recorder also records the line-in audio. If you want to be sure there's no hiss picked up from line-in, prepare two connectors with signal shorted to ground and plug them into the line-in ports.
Posted By: EB5AGV Re: Kawai NV5 Hissing Sound - 10/19/21 03:42 PM
Do you have it connected by USB to a computer?. That may add some noises
Posted By: Purdyd Re: Kawai NV5 Hissing Sound - 10/19/21 08:39 PM
I can hear it. It might be a vibration or resonance or from the amplifier circuit.

Good luck and I hope you fix it
© Piano World Piano & Digital Piano Forums