Piano World Home Page
Posted By: meghdad Adding tweeters to the internal speakers? - 05/06/21 09:07 AM
As you might know, I have the Korg C1 which doesn't feature the top tweeters found on its big brother, the G1 Air. Hence, the DP lacks enough clarity in producing higher register notes. I'm thinking about mounting a pair of tweeters on top of the piano, or beneath the closing lid e.g

Any thoughts? Bad idea or good? :-)
Rather than create a kludge I would add a pair of monitors.
Originally Posted by MacMacMac
Rather than create a kludge I would add a pair of monitors.

+1.

And/or if you already own a HiFi amplifier plus decent speakers that you like musically, try connecting those to begin with.

Cheers and happy clear sounds,

HZ
I care about the aesthetics alot. Monitors and separate loudspeakers don't go well with that aspect. Other than that, the internal speakers sound good to me, except the high frequency range.

Specifically, I'm looking for opinions on what kinds of tweeters to use and the quality of connection to the line-out port. Also I'm not sure if that really will improve the sound overall or could it overshadow the lower frequencies?

Originally Posted by HZPiano
Cheers and happy clear sounds,
Happy getting high on frequencies. :-p
This is trivially simple these days.

You just need the right spec sheet for the existing speakers, buy the right cross over, then the tweeters.

But obviously this is alot more work than just buying an amp, bookshelves and a subwoofer.
Posted By: _sem_ Re: Adding tweeters to the internal speakers? - 05/06/21 01:01 PM
Adding a tweeter implies adding a crossover circuit to balance the two speakers. Indeed such circuits in entry DPs (just like cheapo stereos) are rather trivial (like one capacitor and maybe one coil and/or resistor), and if you'd see what exactly is in the G1 and are able to obtain the same components it might happen to be a simple job. But if you can only get random similar components, you are likely to get very random results in the sound. Connecting better external speakers via line-out is probably a much better idea.
Originally Posted by _sem_
Connecting better external speakers via line-out is probably a much better idea.
Unless the DP has a make shift speaker box in the casing like the dgx670, fp90, external will almost always be better.

Has anyone seen what the es920/520 looks like on the inside yet?
Is this for piano sound or other sounds? Does piano even need good treble?
Originally Posted by MarkOfJohnson
Is this for piano sound or other sounds? Does piano even need good treble?

anything above 3000hz is helped by a tweeter.
Originally Posted by _sem_
Adding a tweeter implies adding a crossover circuit to balance the two speakers. Indeed such circuits in entry DPs (just like cheapo stereos) are rather trivial (like one capacitor and maybe one coil and/or resistor), and if you'd see what exactly is in the G1 and are able to obtain the same components it might happen to be a simple job. But if you can only get random similar components, you are likely to get very random results in the sound. Connecting better external speakers via line-out is probably a much better idea.

+1.

And a problem with that, that _sem_ ignores:

. . . If you drive the tweeters from the Line Out jacks, you'll need
. . . a stereo power amplifier.

. . . If you drive them from the existing (built-in) power amps in the DP,
. . . you'll be voiding your warranty.

Is there any kind of EQ or "Brightness" control you could use, instead?

My father had serious high-frequency hearing loss, and had an outboard horn-loaded tweeter (with a single capacitor as a crossover) on his bedside radio.

Everyone with normal hearing though it was awful, but it was just right for him.
at Crutchfield/caraudio/tweeters; the is lots of choices if you can tap onto the speaker leads inside your piano. You can buy a decent pair with x-over starting at $28.00
Posted By: _sem_ Re: Adding tweeters to the internal speakers? - 05/07/21 09:42 AM
Originally Posted by Charles Cohen
And a problem with that, that _sem_ ignores:

. . . If you drive the tweeters from the Line Out jacks, you'll need
. . . a stereo power amplifier.

. . . If you drive them from the existing (built-in) power amps in the DP,
. . . you'll be voiding your warranty.

Connecting to the existing speaker is what I had in mind - from line-out external speakers make more sense.
I don't think it would necessarily void warranty from what I've seen with add-on car tweeters if installed carefully.

Originally Posted by emenelton
at Crutchfield/caraudio/tweeters; the is lots of choices if you can tap onto the speaker leads inside your piano. You can buy a decent pair with x-over starting at $28.00

Such x-over is mostly a simple capacitor - a random x-over may result in an ugly peak somewhere in the midrange. Car speakers are often low-impedance - not sure if healthy for the DP amp, and may happen to be too loud compared to the built-in speaker.
OK thanks everyone for the replies. Yes, I had been considering to connect tweeters to the line-out jack before I created this thread, but all in all it seems to be much work and cost (=time) for basically little improvement in sound quality. So I've changed my mind.

Yes, Charles Cohen, the DP has brightness control and it does increase the overall high frequency throughout the entire range, however an extra tweeter, I thought, could intensify the higher frequencies while keeping the other frequencies pretty much intact.
© Piano World Piano & Digital Piano Forums