Piano World Home Page
Hi,

I've had quite a lot of help from this forum so just wanted to post this in case it helps others.

If you want to imitate a Hammond organ and to have some drawbar style sounds on an electric piano or keyboard, I have found that the B9 organ machine from Electro-Harmonix works well.

Preferably you need a keyboard / e-piano where you can switch off touch sensitivity, reverb, damper noise and resonance, and fall back noise (I'm using a Kawai ES100). Plugged into a rotary pedal e.g the Lester K, and using a stock organ voice on the keyboard as your 'dry' signal, it is very convincing and there is no tracking delay that I can detect. It also allows you to switch drawbar voicings easily. It only tracks as high as a guitar's range, but that seems plenty sufficient for regular organ playing.

I'm posting this because I hadn't seen anyone try the B9 with a keyboard on YouTube etc, although EHX do say on their website that it works with one, but I'd seen a few people asking when I was researching. So if you want some drawbar variation but don't want to use an iPad with Galileo or similar, it is definitely something to consider.

I hope that helps someone!
Adam
Interesting box. I hadn't seen this before and would never have noticed since they seem to specialize in guitar effects. But as you say, it can be used with a keyboard. Thanks for the info!
PMFJI --

I looked up the "Sound on Sound" review of that pedal --

https://www.soundonsound.com/reviews/electro-harmonix-b9-organ-machine

and I have a question:

. . . Is it polyphonic -- that is, if you play a chord on the keyboard,
. . . . does the pedal turn it into the same chord,
. . . played on a Hammond ?

Thanks --
Hey, thanks for the comments. Yes it certainly sounds polyphonic to my ears, the notes ring simultaneously in chords perfectly. For example, playing the 'back in the chicken shack' intro on the jazz setting sounds pretty close to the real thing, especially with the key click turned up. I suspect it would sound even better on a part-weighted keyboard too.
Cheers, Adam
Originally Posted by Adamcw89
Hey, thanks for the comments. Yes it certainly sounds polyphonic to my ears, the notes ring simultaneously in chords perfectly. For example, playing the 'back in the chicken shack' intro on the jazz setting sounds pretty close to the real thing, especially with the key click turned up. I suspect it would sound even better on a part-weighted keyboard too.
Cheers, Adam

That's some fancy stomp-box!<g>
© Piano World Piano & Digital Piano Forums