Piano World Home Page
Posted By: Amaruk How fast is your digital piano? - 02/25/12 01:14 AM
I know that the save wav/mp3 to USB drive is not a key feature in DPs. However, as discussed in another thread, if this process is too slow (minutes!?!) the user might be thinking that something is wrong. I also do many takes in a row and long delays would be very frustrating. Does this save speed vary across various models and brands?

I ran a test recording on my Roland RD-700NX and I got the following:

Recording length: 3 minutes
USB drive: 4 GB no-name drive that is over 6 years old.
Time for saving the song (wav format) to the USB drive after it was recorded by the DP: 2.5 seconds.

I then copied the song (32 MB WAV file) to my computer, renamed it, and saved the copy back to the same USB drive from my computer. That save process also took about 2.5 seconds (~10 MB/s). The best USB 2 drives today typically have write speeds in the order of 20-30 MB/s.
Posted By: cosun Re: How fast is your digital piano? - 02/25/12 03:42 AM
I think 2.5 seconds is not bad though.
Posted By: Dr Popper Re: How fast is your digital piano? - 02/25/12 05:28 AM
Mine can do 0-60 in 4.6 seconds if it's in my S63
Posted By: Amaruk Re: How fast is your digital piano? - 02/25/12 12:13 PM
Originally Posted by Dr Popper
Mine can do 0-60 in 4.6 seconds if it's in my S63

Funny, but you can do even better if you drop it from the rooftop of a skyscraper ... wink

Yes, I do think 2.5s is good especially if some pianos of other brands need minutes for this same task... (if that is true which I don't know).

Strange that there are no other inputs as of yet though. Where are all Roland bashers? smile

As a buyer I know that I would want to know this spec of a DP. Thus as we always say here; bring a USB stick and do a test recording when you demo pianos if you think this is of importance to you.

When I get a chance I am going to do a test with a faster USB stick (~25 MB/s write speeds) and see if the DP can shorten the time even further.

Posted By: Dr Popper Re: How fast is your digital piano? - 02/25/12 02:02 PM
I've actually never given it any thought really as most of my boards are usually midi'd up all the time
Posted By: Amaruk Re: How fast is your digital piano? - 02/25/12 07:26 PM
Good point Dr P. I think the save to USB feature is mostly used by users with console type DP pianos as those pianos are less likely to be hooked up to a computer.

Any HP-xxx/Clavinova/CA/CS players that want to share their save times?
© Piano World Piano & Digital Piano Forums