Piano World Home Page
Posted By: itsKAT My Piano Improvisation - 12/22/21 04:27 PM
Hi fellow creatives, πŸŽΉπŸŽΆπŸ“·πŸ™‚

this is me improvising on the piano.
I hope, you enjoy it.πŸ™‚
I'd love to get any tips on how to improve my skills. Maybe there are some special exercises?

Keep creating.πŸŽΉπŸŽΆπŸ’œ

KAT

Posted By: BruceD Re: My Piano Improvisation - 12/22/21 06:31 PM
Originally Posted by itsKAT
[...]I'd love to get any tips on how to improve my skills. Maybe there are some special exercises?

Keep creating.πŸŽΉπŸŽΆπŸ’œ

KAT

I have a few suggestions:

1) Try to develop a "melody" that goes somewhere. Your melody doesn't have any sense of direction.

2) Subdue the left hand unless it is supposed to carry a dominant "melody." In your video snippets, the left hand is too loud and overpowers what is going on in the right hand. Traditionally, the right hand most frequently carries some kind of melody.

3) Relax, physically.

4) Don't pound the piano; you are using too much wasted physical motion in the way you are playing and it comes across as "pounding." This is related to my 3): Relax!

Regards,
Posted By: PianogrlNW Re: My Piano Improvisation - 12/22/21 10:06 PM
I’m not an improvisor but can make some comments as a listener. You might want to learn more about music theory, harmony and progressions. Your two examples sound harmonically static as if you are noodling in the same key with the same repeated phrases. To keep a listener interested you need to tell a musical story that has a theme or melody, and a path. To give your improv direction, you need some harmonic changes that make musical sense.

I noticed your playing has a blurred sound so you may want to experiment with changing the pedal more often. Also you might want to work on producing a more gentle sound. Your hands appear to be slapping the keys, producing a harsh sound. I hope some of the experienced improvisors on this site will give you more helpful feedback.
Posted By: Rickster Re: My Piano Improvisation - 12/23/21 02:57 AM
I listened to your piano improv, and I thought it was pretty good. Thing is, I'm not that good on the piano myself, so it is difficult to give advice to others, when I need advice myself. smile

That said, BruceD and PianogrlNW gives good advice on your playing. You've got good potential and a good personality and some charisma, which always helps. I would suggest to give your improv tune a name. Call it something, anything, but give it a title. It is your improv and your work, your creativity and your performance.

Also, I'd suggest that you keep practicing and try to make your playing smoother and less choppy, unless you're playing some hot boogie-chops. smile

Also, again, and this is just a thought, I would suggest that you NOT ask viewers to subscribe to your YT channel. When you ask for subscribers it is like you soliciting your audience/viewers or trying to sell them something. If they watch your video, and like your playing and your music, that means they like you, and they will subscribe without you having to ask.

Otherwise, keep up the good work!

Rick
Posted By: Ted Re: My Piano Improvisation - 12/24/21 04:11 AM
Pleased to hear another free improviser. Although frequently viewed as a poor man’s composition, personal improvisation will profoundly reward you in later life. With the recent advances in high quality, affordable recording devices there is no longer any reason why a recorded improvisation cannot be regarded as an artistic end product. The process is so individual, solipsistic and slow developing that I doubt a universally valid path to it exists. Obviously, the stronger your physical technique, the greater your keyboard vocabulary and the wider your listening, the richer your musical language will become. Therefore to these ends at your age play and listen to everything, many sorts of music, reject as little as possible, don’t judge your own music too stringently to start with and above all enjoy yourself. If you have music in you it will come out sooner or later.
Posted By: willywagtail Re: My Piano Improvisation - 12/24/21 07:49 AM
Well done KAT...Actually like the LH..agree you could tone it down volume wise.
What key is it...maybe work up to the dominant and come back home.
Like your effort though..you will find your gold.
Cheers Mick
Posted By: Serge88 Re: My Piano Improvisation - 12/24/21 04:40 PM
thumb
© Piano World Piano & Digital Piano Forums