Piano World Home Page
Posted By: SwissMS MOYD (Master of Your Own Destiny) 2021 - 12/30/20 10:17 AM
Welcome to another year of MOYD!! MOYD, "Master of Your Own Destiny", is a personal challenge where you commit to playing the piano for some amount of time every single day. It might be a few hours, it might be a few minutes - it doesn't matter - as long as you sit down and touch those keys!!!

It doesn't matter if it is a grand, an upright, or a digital. Nor does it matter if it is your piano or any other. If you are traveling and you come across an available piano and play for five minutes, it counts! Any piano, anywhere, for any amount of time will do the job.

If you miss a day you must come here and say so. Please report AFTER the fact. We only need to know when you DID miss playing - not that you "might not be able to play".

2021 will be the 17th year of MOYD on ABF.

MOYD RULES

1. Participating in MOYD requires you to sit on the piano bench and play something at least once daily. That's it. There is no minimum amount of time required. Five minutes counts... but more is better. Simply get to the piano everyday, let it become a habit, and see what good things happen to your piano skills.

2. If you are away from home (for business, or for personal reasons) , you don't have to practice/play that day. You go to the 'Excused list".

3. If you are sick, you don't have to practice/play. You go to the 'Excused list".

4. If you are at home, and you are not sick and you miss a day, you have to come here and tell us the sad story of what kept you from playing. Then you go to the "Back on the Wagon" list.

5. You may start late - however no new participants are accepted after September 30th. This is a hard deadline in fairness to everyone who has participated all year.

6. Everyone who has reported being away, being sick, falling off and getting back on the wagon, or who signs up late has the right to put the MOYD 2021 badge in their signatures on 31 December 2021.

HOW TO JOIN

Simply reply to this thread declaring your enthusiastic willingness to join in and be committed to the plan! I will check in regularly and update this first page with the information you provide.

Signature pictures will be offered to those who are 2021 MOYD winners. Below you will find the 2020 Siggies, for those who participated in 2020.

INSTRUCTIONS FOR ADDING IMAGES TO YOUR SIGNATURE:
1. Place your cursor on the desired icon,
2. right click,
3. go to properties,
4. copy the Url, or copy image address
5. go to your profile page signature box,
6. place cursor,
7. click on "enter an image" paste. ( add [img] before the address and [/img] after. The badge address should read [ img]http://forum.pianoworld.com//gallery/42/medium/10981.png[/img], without the space after the first bracket).
8. save changes

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

So, 2020 MOYD'ers, grab a badge and display it proudly! You earned it with your hard work in 2020. Then, join in again for another year of fun with MOYD! Let us all hope for a better, healthier year in 2021

MOYD 2021 Participants:
bSharp(C)yclist
meghdad
EB5AGV
bob44
loydb
MH1963
WiseBuff
Gary Hamilton
Lontra
Sol Finker
trooplewis
Stubbie
Johan B
Mickey_
Maryllis
Nickram
akc42
Pianist@Heart
jotur
KrisR
zillybug
barbaram
wouldloveto
Ojustaboo
Myssk87
Tonya Mac
diminished
Menno
Saan
bradamant
Chili_Time
Mwieczorek223
PatrickBl
Napalm
9Volt
Osho
HarmonySmurf
Snejana
Triryche
motoduc
Rider
Palmpirate
Maira713

Excused Days:

EB5AGV - March 19-20
KrisR - March 22-23
Lontra - Feb 23, Mar 1
Maryllis - March 14
MH1963 - April 1
PatrickBl - Jan12
Stubbie - March 16-20

Back on the Wagon:
Napalm - Feb 24
jotur - March 8
barbaram - April 16

Late Starters:
K8KT
Emily2Lame
phobucket
jbloggz
Thanks for putting this together, SwissMS. I plan to participate again this year.
Posted By: meghdad Re: MOYD (Master of Your Own Destiny) 2021 - 12/30/20 02:44 PM
Me too! :-)

Thanks for creating this.
Posted By: EB5AGV Re: MOYD (Master of Your Own Destiny) 2021 - 12/30/20 03:01 PM
Please, add me!

Thanks and have a great and musical 2021!!!
Posted By: bob44 Re: MOYD (Master of Your Own Destiny) 2021 - 12/30/20 03:18 PM
OK, why not, this will be my new year's resolution.

ADDED LATER: in fact I'll go play right now while I have a few minutes
Posted By: loydb Re: MOYD (Master of Your Own Destiny) 2021 - 12/30/20 03:23 PM
In for 2021, great idea.
Posted By: MH1963 Re: MOYD (Master of Your Own Destiny) 2021 - 12/30/20 03:56 PM
Yay! Sign me up for another year.
MOYD is great.

I’m still bad but making progress.
Posted By: WiseBuff Re: MOYD (Master of Your Own Destiny) 2021 - 12/30/20 04:48 PM
Count me in again! It's such a habit now, it's easy to play every day but I like the comradery of the group.
Posted By: WiseBuff Re: MOYD (Master of Your Own Destiny) 2021 - 12/30/20 04:56 PM
Every year I have trouble getting the new icon. When I right click on the icon, it does not bring up "properties". There was some other process I needed to use but it's been a year.
This will be my first full year learning/playing the piano. Please count me in.
Posted By: SwissMS Re: MOYD (Master of Your Own Destiny) 2021 - 12/30/20 05:37 PM
WiseBuff try this:

Right click on the badge that you want, and then choose "copy image address".

Go to your profile page and paste that link into your signature. Then edit to put [img] before the link adress and [/img] after. It should look like the following without the space after the first bracket.

[ img]http://forum.pianoworld.com//gallery/42/medium/14102.png[/img]

I hope that helps!
Posted By: Lontra Re: MOYD (Master of Your Own Destiny) 2021 - 12/30/20 05:47 PM
Please add me 🙏
Count me in.

Thank you for the good work.
Sounds good, I'm in.
Posted By: Stubbie Re: MOYD (Master of Your Own Destiny) 2021 - 12/30/20 07:03 PM
Sign me up for 2021.
Posted By: Johan B Re: MOYD (Master of Your Own Destiny) 2021 - 12/30/20 07:56 PM
Hi SwissMs,

Please, sign me up for 2021....

Kind regards,
Johan B
Posted By: Mickey_ Re: MOYD (Master of Your Own Destiny) 2021 - 12/30/20 09:20 PM
Hi SwissMS: I'm a SwissMR – and happy to join. :-)
Posted By: WiseBuff Re: MOYD (Master of Your Own Destiny) 2021 - 12/31/20 12:04 AM
Yes, SwissMS, that worked. Thank you so much.
Posted By: Maryllis Re: MOYD (Master of Your Own Destiny) 2021 - 12/31/20 08:11 AM
Please add me for 2021 after I had silently participated in 2020.

MOYD is such a good idea.

Best regards
Maryllis
Posted By: SwissMS Re: MOYD (Master of Your Own Destiny) 2021 - 12/31/20 09:48 AM
Welcome to MOYD:

bSharp(C)yclist
meghdad
EB5AGV
bob44
loydb
MH1963
WiseBuff
Gary Hamilton
Lontra
Sol Finker
trooplewis
Stubbie
Johan B
Mickey_
Maryllis

Let's have another good year of practicing!!
Posted By: Nickram Re: MOYD (Master of Your Own Destiny) 2021 - 12/31/20 10:49 AM
Hi, I'd like to sign up to this challenge please.
I saw this thread last October and was to late for last year's, but I've played every day since to get into the swing of it.
Posted By: akc42 Re: MOYD (Master of Your Own Destiny) 2021 - 12/31/20 11:31 AM
Sign me up again this year please. It was that little incentive that made sure I did sit down every single day in 2020 (already done some practice today so I know its now true for every day of the year).
Hi SwissMS, Please sign me up for 2021. I am committing to really using MOYD.
Posted By: jotur Re: MOYD (Master of Your Own Destiny) 2021 - 12/31/20 04:05 PM
Please sign me up for 2021. SwissMS you are such an inspiration, and thank you so much for tracking us thru the year!
Posted By: SwissMS Re: MOYD (Master of Your Own Destiny) 2021 - 12/31/20 06:46 PM
Welcome to MOYD:

Nickram
akc42
Pianist@Heart
jotur
Posted By: KrisR Re: MOYD (Master of Your Own Destiny) 2021 - 12/31/20 11:04 PM
Yes please, I would like to join. Thanks.
Posted By: zillybug Re: MOYD (Master of Your Own Destiny) 2021 - 01/01/21 12:09 AM
Hi Swiss Miss
Please sign me up for 2021 and thank you for doing this.
Judy
Posted By: barbaram Re: MOYD (Master of Your Own Destiny) 2021 - 01/01/21 11:49 AM
Hi SwissMS,
Thank you for doing this for us again and please count me in!
Barbara
Hello SwissMS.
Can you please add me again? Thank you and Happy New Year of practicing, everybody smile
Posted By: Ojustaboo Re: MOYD (Master of Your Own Destiny) 2021 - 01/01/21 11:41 PM
Please add me.

Doing this in 2020 was one of the best things ever.

Many days due to health issues I often only managed 3 to 5 mins, doing say a few scales, but at least I played every day and a year later, I can clearly see, feel and hear a great improvement.

Other days I felt tired but forced myself to have my daily practice, and 30 mins later I was happily still playing.
Posted By: jotur Re: MOYD (Master of Your Own Destiny) 2021 - 01/01/21 11:46 PM
So far, so good!

Oh, yeah, we only need to check in if we miss a day.

smile
Posted By: SwissMS Re: MOYD (Master of Your Own Destiny) 2021 - 01/02/21 10:25 AM
Welcome to MOYD 2021!!

KrisR
zillybug
barbaram
wouldloveto
Ojustaboo
Posted By: Myssk87 Re: MOYD (Master of Your Own Destiny) 2021 - 01/03/21 01:19 AM
Count me in!!!
Posted By: Tonya Mac Re: MOYD (Master of Your Own Destiny) 2021 - 01/03/21 09:33 PM
I am returning to piano after years of not playing. I want to join this! Thanks!

Already read some old pieces today, they were a bit rough. But I start piano lessons tomorrow, to have that weekly input and accountability of a teacher. Super excited!!

Tonya
I almost missed practicing yesterday, and my first thought was, "oh no, I don't want to be Kramer" and give up that fast. Did 30 minutes late in the evening...

[Linked Image]
Hello, I am new to PianoWorld and would love to join!

Usually, I am able to practice an hour a day, but sometimes I just get swamped with things. Hopefully I can overcome my all-or-nothing practice mindset during those times. After all, even a few minutes is better than nothing.
Posted By: Menno Re: MOYD (Master of Your Own Destiny) 2021 - 01/04/21 08:41 AM
Great initiative, please sign me up for 2021! grin
Posted By: Saan Re: MOYD (Master of Your Own Destiny) 2021 - 01/04/21 02:33 PM
This is a great idea and I would like to join, thanks.
Posted By: bradamant Re: MOYD (Master of Your Own Destiny) 2021 - 01/04/21 03:22 PM
I'd like to join this year. I have an account on this forum because I got some good advice back in 2012 about choosing a digital piano. I played faithfully up until I was having a really stressful year at work in 2019 and started allowing myself to believe if I had a stressful day and felt rotten/headachey after work, I could skip and play "tomorrow." Well, this quickly led to hardly playing at all, which made playing frustrating... a race to the bottom that resulted in me hardly touching the piano in 2020.

I remembered the MOYD challenge and told myself that I'd play a little SOMETHING every day over my winter break, which I've done every day except Christmas Day. I've been doing scales and trying to redo some of the easier pieces I learned around 2013-14ish.

One problem I expect to have in 2021 (if I ever get out of lockdown!) is that my piano teacher got a big-time faculty position at an elite conservatory. I'm so happy for her but I assume that she won't have time for the likes of me going forward.
Posted By: SwissMS Re: MOYD (Master of Your Own Destiny) 2021 - 01/04/21 05:01 PM
Welcome to MOYD 2021!

Myssk87
Tonya Mac
diminished
Menno
Saan
bradamant
Please sign me up again. I did a full 365 last year thanks to the lightweight P-115 starter piano for car travel. I love my MP11SE but it weights a ton!
Count me in for 2021. I started right before the deadline in 2020, and can report that I've played at least a little every day.
Posted By: PatrickBl Re: MOYD (Master of Your Own Destiny) 2021 - 01/07/21 10:10 PM
Please add me again for this year. Thank you!

Patrick
Posted By: Napalm Re: MOYD (Master of Your Own Destiny) 2021 - 01/08/21 01:54 AM
Add me, let's give it a try shall we... ^_^
Posted By: 9Volt Re: MOYD (Master of Your Own Destiny) 2021 - 01/08/21 02:00 AM
This sounds like a great idea! I'll join smile
Posted By: SwissMS Re: MOYD (Master of Your Own Destiny) 2021 - 01/08/21 08:17 AM
Welcome to MOYD 2021!

Chili_Time
Mwieczorek223
PatrickBl
Napalm
9Volt
Posted By: Osho Re: MOYD (Master of Your Own Destiny) 2021 - 01/08/21 05:41 PM
Please include me again.

Thanks for continuing to maintain this PW Forum tradition!

Osho
Posted By: bob44 Re: MOYD (Master of Your Own Destiny) 2021 - 01/08/21 06:52 PM
Originally Posted by trooplewis
I almost missed practicing yesterday, and my first thought was, "oh no, I don't want to be Kramer" and give up that fast.
About 10 days into the challenge (I started in late December), I'm happy to report that I played every day, which is perhaps 30-50% more days than I would otherwise have. Fear of public humiliation is a powerful thing. It's enough to make me sit down, and then I have fun at the piano, it's not a chore at all. But you do have to decide to sit down even if you might not feel like it, initially. This is where the challenge helps. I started working on a bluesy version of Taking Care of Business by Bachman Turner Overdrive yesterday. C7, Bb7, F7...
I have been trying to practice daily since I started about 2 years ago and only missed maybe 5 days total. I have piano marvel so I know my current streak is over 110 days.

I have been against a wall in my development and practicing less due to the frustration even though I know it is counter-productive. I bought a digital piano finally so I could track my performances better with the app and that has reinvigorated my enthusiasm as I started practicing the previous lessons to see if my skill has been maintained/properly learned. Doing this has increased my daily minutes to roughly an hour a day which is up from the 10 minutes a day of the two lessons that were giving me trouble. My confidence is improving too with playing the easier lessons and hopefully I will be able to tackle the tougher lessons when I get back to it in a week or so.
Posted By: Snejana Re: MOYD (Master of Your Own Destiny) 2021 - 01/11/21 02:57 PM
This is going to be my fourth year here. Count me in! So far I haven't missed any days in January smile
Posted By: Triryche Re: MOYD (Master of Your Own Destiny) 2021 - 01/11/21 03:37 PM
Happy New Year!!

Please sign me up. I have practiced every day this year so far.

Thanks!!
Posted By: SwissMS Re: MOYD (Master of Your Own Destiny) 2021 - 01/11/21 08:04 PM
Welcome to MOYD 2021!

Osho
HarmonySmurf
Snejana
Triryche
Posted By: PatrickBl Re: MOYD (Master of Your Own Destiny) 2021 - 01/13/21 04:01 AM
Well that started well: please excuse me for 12 January. An IT problem that wouldn't go away!!

Thanks,

Patrick
Posted By: motoduc Re: MOYD (Master of Your Own Destiny) 2021 - 01/13/21 04:41 AM
Please count me in for another year.

Thanks!
Posted By: SwissMS Re: MOYD (Master of Your Own Destiny) 2021 - 01/13/21 08:49 AM
PatrickBl - You get to start our excused list! I will add Jan 12 to the list.

motoduc - Welcome back for another year!
Posted By: loydb Re: MOYD (Master of Your Own Destiny) 2021 - 01/15/21 03:47 PM
My victory for the week is not missing a day in spite of being laid off out of the blue on Monday.
Posted By: Rider Re: MOYD (Master of Your Own Destiny) 2021 - 01/16/21 12:11 AM
I would be very grateful to be allowed to join if I am not too late! I only have a weighted electric piano rather than a real acoustic model but I have it set up at home ready to play at all times.
Posted By: jotur Re: MOYD (Master of Your Own Destiny) 2021 - 01/16/21 04:00 PM
Originally Posted by loydb
My victory for the week is not missing a day in spite of being laid off out of the blue on Monday.

I'm sorry to hear that frown OTOH I was laid off/fired in several of my jobs over the last 50 years and I will have to say that every time it was the best thing that ever happened to me. May it be so for you, too. Take care -
Posted By: loydb Re: MOYD (Master of Your Own Destiny) 2021 - 01/17/21 03:22 PM
Thanks Cathy! Yeah, I've been in tech since the 1980s, this absolutely isn't my first rodeo. I've been at the same place for 13 years, so updating a resume and design portfolio is my first order of business. I'm sad that I had to suspend my weekly piano lesson for now in the name of fiscal prudence, but guardedly optimistic about a new job.
Posted By: SwissMS Re: MOYD (Master of Your Own Destiny) 2021 - 01/17/21 03:47 PM
Rider - Welcome to MOYD 2021!

loydb - Sorry to hear that you were laid off. That is a tough blow. Best wishes in your job search!
Posted By: Lontra Re: MOYD (Master of Your Own Destiny) 2021 - 01/21/21 09:40 PM
I won't be at home this weekend, so I'll have a day off this saturday (23rd). 🙌
Hi SwissMS 😀, I would love to display a badge again since I made it through 2020. Since I missed a couple of years the list of badges won’t reflect my reality. Is there a way to sort out the years displayed? 🙏
I also want to sign up for 2021 which is off to a great start!
Posted By: Napalm Re: MOYD (Master of Your Own Destiny) 2021 - 01/25/21 10:31 PM
I regretfully have to report that I missed a day last week. Combination of staying up watching the Sopranos and beginning to drink in the afternoon... Guess I will be the first on the wagon? shocked
Posted By: Maira713 Re: MOYD (Master of Your Own Destiny) 2021 - 01/26/21 12:42 PM
I am here to declare my enthusiastic willingness to join MYOD for the first time!!

I recently bought my first piano, received it on January 4th and have been playing daily for about an hour. I haven't missed a day since I started learning smile
Posted By: loydb Re: MOYD (Master of Your Own Destiny) 2021 - 01/31/21 02:54 PM
Shout out to everyone who made it for a perfect January.
Posted By: Mickey_ Re: MOYD (Master of Your Own Destiny) 2021 - 01/31/21 11:46 PM
Originally Posted by loydb
Shout out to everyone who made it for a perfect January.

Totally, loydb! I must say I'm a bit proud of myself. And so should you! (...not of me, but of yourself, that is. :-))
Posted By: Lontra Re: MOYD (Master of Your Own Destiny) 2021 - 03/01/21 10:12 AM
Popping in to report a planned day off tomorrow due to travel 🙏
Posted By: loydb Re: MOYD (Master of Your Own Destiny) 2021 - 03/01/21 12:33 PM
Congrats again to everyone who has made it two months. It was challenging here in Texas for a bit... I had two days that were "Great, play 5 minutes while we have power."
Posted By: barbaram Re: MOYD (Master of Your Own Destiny) 2021 - 03/02/21 09:08 AM
A clean sheet to the end of Feb - that must be a record for me. I'll admit that Sunday was a v close call between one thing and another, but it was the discipline of this thread that got me sitting at the bench for 2 minutes before going up to bed rather than just writing off the day. The actual "practice" in that brief period contributed very little, but the maintaining of the habit has value.
Posted By: meghdad Re: MOYD (Master of Your Own Destiny) 2021 - 03/02/21 03:05 PM
I'm going strong hehe. There have been days when I didn't have the time or energy to practice but this project pushed me to the piano for at least half an hour. So thank you again.

One question: Can I make up for a missed day by practicing more the next day?
Posted By: Maira713 Re: MOYD (Master of Your Own Destiny) 2021 - 03/02/21 06:50 PM
Going strong here too! I haven't missed a single day, and still practicing between 45 minutes and 1h30 each day depending on work schedule. 😀

There was a single day earlier this month when I really didn't have time to practice, but the guilt was too much so I squeezed 10 minutes right after cooking dinner. The food got cold, but the piano was worth it!
Hi there! New to piano world and piano! Would love to be added in 😃
Posted By: EB5AGV Re: MOYD (Master of Your Own Destiny) 2021 - 03/03/21 06:55 AM
I have completed two faultless months so far this year! thumb
Posted By: SwissMS Re: MOYD (Master of Your Own Destiny) 2021 - 03/03/21 06:30 PM
Lontra - I added Feb 23 and Mar 1 to your excused list.

Palmpirate - I have a program that my husband wrote to make the badges. I will ask the expert and get back to you! O will add you to the 2021 list!

Napalm- I will put you back on the wagon on Feb 24.

Maira713 - Welcome to MOYD I will add you to our late starter's list. Congratulations on your new piano!

Emily2Lame - Welcome to MOYD! I will add you to our late starter's list.

Congratulations to everyone that has a perfect record so far! I haven't missed a day either!
Posted By: Maira713 Re: MOYD (Master of Your Own Destiny) 2021 - 03/03/21 10:06 PM
Originally Posted by SwissMS
Maira713 - Welcome to MOYD I will add you to our late starter's list. Congratulations on your new piano!

Thank you so much, SwissMS! I actually asked to sign up back in January 26th. Maybe you missed my post? smile

I know it's knit-picking but I signed up only a day after palmpirate and they made into the main list! laugh
Posted By: SwissMS Re: MOYD (Master of Your Own Destiny) 2021 - 03/06/21 03:17 PM
Maira713- Sorry, it looks like I did miss your post. I will put you in the main list!
Posted By: jotur Re: MOYD (Master of Your Own Destiny) 2021 - 03/07/21 04:29 PM
Whoops! laugh I missed yesterday, Mar 6. I just looked over at the keyboard, and the cover's off but it's turned off, and I thought Oh Dear. Sometimes my allergies, and boy is it allergy season, make me really groggy and I just kind of live in a fog. Yesterday was the day - I slept 10 hours last night.

But I'll be back on the wagon today smile
Posted By: SwissMS Re: MOYD (Master of Your Own Destiny) 2021 - 03/08/21 04:37 PM
jotur - Whoops's happen! I will put you back on the wagon today.
Posted By: jbloggz Re: MOYD (Master of Your Own Destiny) 2021 - 03/13/21 02:05 PM
I'd love to join if possible.
I've been keeping track of all my practicing and haven't missed a day so far this year. ( Except the first few days in January because I was away on holiday.) I was meant to sign up sooner but forgot.
Knowing that I'll need to come here with my tail between my legs if I miss a day will be enough to force me to practice each day.
I'm away from home taking care of some family business. I have a low quality portable keyboard around for (slow) practice but not good enough for playing technical pieces. I do practice an hour a day but at the moment not ready to make any commitment.
Posted By: Maryllis Re: MOYD (Master of Your Own Destiny) 2021 - 03/15/21 08:05 AM
Yesterday (March 14) I missed the first day for this year due to chills and fever after my vaccination on saturday. Today I feel much better and will start practicing right after this post.
Posted By: PatrickBl Re: MOYD (Master of Your Own Destiny) 2021 - 03/18/21 03:35 AM
Well, a series of adventures got in the way of my practice: some real-estate stress (always fun); a two-day stay in Surfers Paradise, which included an escape from a burning hotel (I kid you not) and finally, a return home to a piano that wouldn't power up. At least two weeks before I get my piano back from the techs..

I'll check-in with a list of excused dates when I get my piano back - assuming I haven't been turfed out of the MOYD group!

Patrick
Posted By: EB5AGV Re: MOYD (Master of Your Own Destiny) 2021 - 03/19/21 07:04 PM
I will miss two days (today and tomorrow) as I am out of my country visiting my first grandchild. I wrote an small song for him, but unfortunately there is no piano here to play. I have just taken a recording with me. Better than nothing!
Posted By: K8KT Re: MOYD (Master of Your Own Destiny) 2021 - 03/20/21 03:12 AM
I just discovered the meaning of MOYD in some forum members’ signature. It’s a little late but please add me to this year’s MOYD. My migraine from this morning is fading so I should be able to start tonight!
Posted By: KrisR Re: MOYD (Master of Your Own Destiny) 2021 - 03/21/21 01:10 AM
For the first time in over a year, I will be away from home overnight and unable to practice for 2 days. I miss it already. smile
Posted By: Stubbie Re: MOYD (Master of Your Own Destiny) 2021 - 03/21/21 09:19 PM
Out of town 3/16-3/20 for a slightly belated 100th birthday celebration for my mother.
Posted By: phobucket Re: MOYD (Master of Your Own Destiny) 2021 - 03/22/21 02:30 AM
Hi all, I know it is late, but can I please join the MYOD? I'm 3 days in so far smile
Posted By: loydb Re: MOYD (Master of Your Own Destiny) 2021 - 04/01/21 04:27 PM
Congrats to everyone who has made it through Q1 of the year!
Posted By: MH1963 Re: MOYD (Master of Your Own Destiny) 2021 - 04/08/21 02:02 AM
Please excuse me for April 1. After my second Covid vaccination on the evening of 3/31, I felt pretty rough and missed a day of practice.
Posted By: barbaram Re: MOYD (Master of Your Own Destiny) 2021 - 04/10/21 11:18 AM
Dang, I missed 8 April due to a very full day and evening. I knew it was going to be like that, and knew I'd need to find a few minutes early in the day but didn't do it. Back on the wagon from the 9th
Posted By: barbaram Re: MOYD (Master of Your Own Destiny) 2021 - 04/19/21 08:21 AM
Originally Posted by barbaram
Dang, I missed 8 April due to a very full day and evening. I knew it was going to be like that, and knew I'd need to find a few minutes early in the day but didn't do it. Back on the wagon from the 9th
And then I missed 15 April for exactly the same reasons!!
Posted By: SwissMS Re: MOYD (Master of Your Own Destiny) 2021 - 04/21/21 08:05 AM
jbloggz Welcome to MOYD! I will add you to our late starter's list.

thepianoplayer416- Any practice counts. I hope all goes well with your family.

Maryllis - I will add March 14 to your excused list.

PatrickBl - Wow! it sounds like quite an adventure! Let us know when you get your piano back. I know what it is like to go without. When I first moved to Spain I went three months without a piano. Serious withdrawal set in!

EB5AGV - I will add March 19-20 to your excused list.

K8KT - Welcome to MOYD! I will add you to our late starter's list.

KrisR - I will add March 22-23 to your excused list.

Stubbie- I will add March 16-20 to your excused list. Happy belated 100th to your mother.

phobucket - Welcome to MOYD! I will add you to our late starter's list

MH1963 - I will add April 1 to your excused list.

barbaram - I will put you back on the wagon April 16.
Posted By: gingko2 Re: MOYD (Master of Your Own Destiny) 2021 - 04/21/21 07:47 PM
Hi Doris,

Please add me to the list for this year! Had an injury in December and missed a couple weeks...but that’s water under the bridge now. I’m back and playing every day. I love MOYD and thanks for your work on this.t
Posted By: Triryche Re: MOYD (Master of Your Own Destiny) 2021 - 04/27/21 03:47 PM
Unexcused absence last Friday thru Monday.

Back on today.
Posted By: jotur Re: MOYD (Master of Your Own Destiny) 2021 - 05/18/21 01:50 AM
I have a great excuse for missing May 13 - 17 - I went to visit a 5-month-old new great-nephew! The sweetest baby ever smile Of course, after a year and a half it was nice to see the rest of the family, too, but the baby was special.

I'll be back on tomorrow -
Posted By: Stubbie Re: MOYD (Master of Your Own Destiny) 2021 - 05/20/21 01:47 AM
Please may I be excused for May 11-19 due to a trip to visit some family members. And to do some serious canyon hiking.
Posted By: ClsscLib Re: MOYD (Master of Your Own Destiny) 2021 - 05/22/21 01:03 AM
I hereby declare my enthusiastic willingness to join in and be committed to the plan! wink

Somehow I forgot to sign up at the start of the year. And I've been good... until this week. Please grant me excused miss days for business travel 5/17 through 5/20. Yes, a business trip, believe it or not. First time I'm been on the road in nearly 15 months -- first hotel stay, first times dining inside a restaurant. It's all very weird....
Posted By: MH1963 Re: MOYD (Master of Your Own Destiny) 2021 - 05/24/21 02:22 AM
Please excuse me for 5/10, 11, 12 & 13 due to travel.

I’m back to daily practice now!
Hello. Can I be excused for Friday 28th and Saturday 29th please? Just a getaway weekend; back late on Sunday night but I still managed to practise an hour before going to bed: was missing my piano! wink
Posted By: bob44 Re: MOYD (Master of Your Own Destiny) 2021 - 06/07/21 09:00 PM
I just missed 10 days due to a work-related trip. Next time I'll take a guitar with me just to have something to play music on.
Posted By: jotur Re: MOYD (Master of Your Own Destiny) 2021 - 06/12/21 05:41 PM
Another whoops day for me - Fri, June 11. Back on the wagon today -
Posted By: TessB Re: MOYD (Master of Your Own Destiny) 2021 - 06/12/21 09:05 PM
I'd like to join please. I do my best to practice daily and haven't missed a day since 17th March this year.
Posted By: PatrickBl Re: MOYD (Master of Your Own Destiny) 2021 - 06/17/21 04:53 AM
Hello,

Got my piano back from the repairers!!! Did my first practice too!

Now for the tale of the tape:

Please may I be excused for 15 March to 16 June (!)

Covid has played havoc with the supply line issues for musical instrument electronics - I had to wait for a part from Japan (I think). It can't be helped and I have my piano back.

So...am I allowed back in the group...?

Patrick
Posted By: Maira713 Re: MOYD (Master of Your Own Destiny) 2021 - 06/29/21 01:38 AM
Hi! I missed practice on June 18 due to a last minute travel.

Then I missed practice again between June 21 and 27 due to a group of friends visiting and me being too embarrassed to play with them around.

I actually tried playing 2 pieces for them on the 23th but got so nervous, sweaty, hands shaking, I ended up making so many (very noticeable) mistakes, that I just didn't have the courage anymore to practice during their visit, not even with headphones!

Can I please be excused for my travel date and my too-afraid-of-the-audience week? 😁 Back to the wagon on June 28.
Posted By: Triryche Re: MOYD (Master of Your Own Destiny) 2021 - 06/29/21 01:25 PM
I'm out until further notice.

Thanks!!
Please excuse me for the dates of 6/28 through 7/1. Out of town for work, although we could have easily done this remotely. However, it was nice to travel again and feel somewhat normal.
Posted By: loydb Re: MOYD (Master of Your Own Destiny) 2021 - 07/02/21 02:13 PM
Congrats everyone who has made it this far. We're halfway through the year.

I totally admit that there have been 1-2 days/month where MYOD is the only thing that gets me to the keyboard.
Posted By: KrisR Re: MOYD (Master of Your Own Destiny) 2021 - 07/02/21 08:53 PM
Ditto loydb.

Since I got my piano about 16 months ago, there have been very few days when I haven't looked forward to my piano practice time. When those occasional days hit - it truly is my commitment here, to play every day, that gets my butt on the bench. Once I sit down, I'm off and running.

Thank you.
Can you please excuse me from Monday 5th till Wednesday 7th? Been away to support my team getting to the Euro Final (Forza Italia!) smile Thank you.
Posted By: bob44 Re: MOYD (Master of Your Own Destiny) 2021 - 07/09/21 05:31 PM
I missed another week due to work-related travel.
Posted By: Ojustaboo Re: MOYD (Master of Your Own Destiny) 2021 - 07/09/21 10:48 PM
Originally Posted by KrisR
Ditto loydb.

Since I got my piano about 16 months ago, there have been very few days when I haven't looked forward to my piano practice time. When those occasional days hit - it truly is my commitment here, to play every day, that gets my butt on the bench. Once I sit down, I'm off and running.

Thank you.

Same for me.

A few weeks ago after a very busy day, I was lying in bed at about 22:30, and thought “crap, haven’t practiced today” and got up, went downstairs and practiced. Had it not been for MOYD, I would have stayed in bed
Posted By: jotur Re: MOYD (Master of Your Own Destiny) 2021 - 07/15/21 03:45 PM
OH NO NOT ANOTHER ONE. Whoops day on July 14. Maybe I was subconsciously celebrating my half birthday or something smile
Can you please excuse me for 7/30-8/8. I will be on vacation out of state 😊
Posted By: mmatthew Re: MOYD (Master of Your Own Destiny) 2021 - 07/21/21 02:41 PM
Joining in.

I am practicing daily, but my hours have dropped significantly since I have to deal with a bit of stress from work. Please excuse my reduced hours for 7/21. 7/22 and 7/23.
Posted By: Stubbie Re: MOYD (Master of Your Own Destiny) 2021 - 07/30/21 01:57 PM
Please excuse for July 14 through July 29. Vacationing in the U.S. northwest. Had a great time visiting with family. Smoke haze from forest fires was pervasive in the entire region, though.
Posted By: Maira713 Re: MOYD (Master of Your Own Destiny) 2021 - 08/01/21 01:27 PM
Please excuse for July 12 to 24! I went camping in northern Spain with my dogs, first trip in 1.5 years due to lockdown smile Back on the wagon since July 25.
Posted By: Saan Re: MOYD (Master of Your Own Destiny) 2021 - 08/02/21 07:04 AM
Please excuse me for July 4-18, as I went on a much needed escape to the mountains.
Posted By: barbaram Re: MOYD (Master of Your Own Destiny) 2021 - 08/03/21 08:32 AM
I missed Sunday 1 Aug due to not taking action and practicing during the day when I knew I had evening plans! Back on the wagon 2 Aug
Posted By: jotur Re: MOYD (Master of Your Own Destiny) 2021 - 08/03/21 02:23 PM
Hmph. 5 more whoopses during July. (I decided just to accumulate them rather than cluttering up this thread with posts <snort> ) But gee I had a good time - several long hikes, several operas in various kinds of venues, a couple of book clubs, lunches with friends smile Back on the wagon starting Aug 1.

I've also started a new rag. MOYD has been a piano saver for me. Thanks, SwissMS!
Posted By: mtb Re: MOYD (Master of Your Own Destiny) 2021 - 08/06/21 02:57 AM
Hi all— I’ve been away from piano for many years (played for five years between 6-11 years old) so I am just starting again as an adult beginner.

I’d like to join the 2021 MOYD Challenge as a “40% Late Starter” (there are 148 days left in the year, or 40% of the year remaining) with an color-me-inspired “hats off!” to the folks who started at the first of the year. I won’t be able to catch up, of course, but I may be able to form the foundation of a new daily habit before 2022 rolls around.

Let me know if that works at this late date.
Thanks!
Mary

Kawaii CA98; Roland GO-Piano; Yamaha PSS-30 (kid’s keyboard for travel days)
Posted By: bob44 Re: MOYD (Master of Your Own Destiny) 2021 - 08/06/21 07:34 PM
I just missed 3 weeks on a work-related trip.

However, I had my acoustic guitar and played on half the nights, including a fun fireside singalong. (I'm almost at level 3, "Second guitarist in a folk band", on the 1-10 scale of guitar playing from this blog)

So I'd say this counts for about two missed weeks of piano practice! (at least in my book... wink )
Posted By: EB5AGV Re: MOYD (Master of Your Own Destiny) 2021 - 08/13/21 06:43 AM
I missed four days (8th to 11th) due to a family trip. I was able to play during the trip one day and with public, if that could reduce my sentence wink
Posted By: meghdad Re: MOYD (Master of Your Own Destiny) 2021 - 08/13/21 07:48 AM
I missed three days due to moving out...
Please excuse me for August 13th through 15th. Out of town for a short trip.
Posted By: motoduc Re: MOYD (Master of Your Own Destiny) 2021 - 08/30/21 08:44 PM
Please put me on the excused list for two weeks 8/16 - 8/27 for vacationing without a piano.

Thanks.
Posted By: MH1963 Re: MOYD (Master of Your Own Destiny) 2021 - 08/31/21 11:13 PM
Please excuse me for August 14-20, as I was traveling and my piano wouldn’t fit in my suitcase.
Posted By: bob44 Re: MOYD (Master of Your Own Destiny) 2021 - 09/03/21 10:00 PM
Yet another week missed because of a work-related trip. Maybe I should stop working, it hurts my piano practice. No wait, that's my retirement plan! wink

Now I'm back at it. I've more or less finished selecting chords for my jazz reharmonization of Kesha's Tik Tok, a 2009 trashy earworm-type pop classic. Now I just need to practice it until the left-hand 7th and 9th chords flow naturally (the right hand is just the original melody).
Please excuse me for 9/3-9-6. Out of town for a mini vacation.
Posted By: jotur Re: MOYD (Master of Your Own Destiny) 2021 - 09/05/21 02:30 PM
I missed 3 days in August.
Please excuse me for the dates of 9/9 through 9/12. We got married in Vegas ;0
Originally Posted by bSharp(C)yclist

Congratulations! smile
Posted By: Maira713 Re: MOYD (Master of Your Own Destiny) 2021 - 09/13/21 01:20 PM
Originally Posted by bSharp(C)yclist

That's amazing! Congratulations! heart
Thanks!! smile
© Piano World Piano & Digital Piano Forums