Piano World Home Page
Posted By: pianoloverus Empurror Concerto - 01/08/20 12:32 AM
Scroll down to the first video on Conrad Tao's Facebook page:
https://www.facebook.com/conradtao/...pSGlpx_0ag&fref=mentions&__xts__[0]=68.ARCuhhSb9En_oOJuk051nodS3S9NqSSyZ3xsVV2JWcWbyUu0Ws61L4dQ-zoU0F_Jaq_cGufiogxe3JPrBL-PjcYC2GpiAj7WEYMcU4r64YcveFLY3_cEq4grN3w_2k03TorwKWgUuTTYQdj4eRT7qEH9G5bHTbMM3Xtio5Lp3B8UYjqe2epOXj4RMzNaDQh1DSm0eR_rUqTPGeDhJFDEN8DghfpGIHuNXwTEuTPaUtf-u2BNb7Ea1SjVs2nWGe5VGJHNLEb4HSNiyHj92evlfV5CLy4gFBKU4Fm1uaOgNOutfUcfrmNvcZTOu522dfvWTe4L5amDq7GKjhywxs_3KZN_K0ivmPrV7GUvYj08ydd4S6xWr68b3qMexJHY54w
Posted By: BruceD Re: Empurror Concerto - 01/08/20 12:42 AM
Will my browser take that many characters? eek

Cheers!
Posted By: pianoloverus Re: Empurror Concerto - 01/08/20 01:37 AM
Originally Posted by BruceD
Will my browser take that many characters? eekCheers!
Just click on the highlighted part.
Posted By: Sibylle Re: Empurror Concerto - 01/08/20 12:04 PM
Oh man, that is so cute. Kitty is important! I love how he plays "around" her (or him).
Posted By: Orange Soda King Re: Empurror Concerto - 01/08/20 12:36 PM
Originally Posted by Sibylle
Oh man, that is so cute. Kitty is important! I love how he plays "around" her (or him).

And he doesn’t lose any technical control or tense up!
Posted By: pianoloverus Re: Empurror Concerto - 01/08/20 01:21 PM
I've never found cats interesting or particularly lovable compared to dogs but I know that Conrad Tao(and some PW posters) wouldn't agree with me!
Posted By: WhoDwaldi Re: Empurror Concerto - 01/08/20 03:31 PM
And he practices regularly on an upright piano, it appears.

(To pour gas on the fire of that debate: whether uprights are adequate for practicing demanding music to the highest standard. smile )
Posted By: newport Re: Empurror Concerto - 01/08/20 04:27 PM
Originally Posted by pianoloverus
I've never found cats interesting or particularly lovable compared to dogs but I know that Conrad Tao(and some PW posters) wouldn't agree with me!

Apparently dogs can be bred to have "sad eyes", which most people feel hard to resist ... but cats can't.
Posted By: pianoloverus Re: Empurror Concerto - 01/08/20 04:38 PM
Originally Posted by WhoDwaldi

(To pour gas on the fire of that debate: whether uprights are adequate for practicing demanding music to the highest standard. smile )
A good upright may well be adequate for professional practice, but I wonder why some like Tao would use one. As far as I know he has been extremely successful as a professional musician and could easily afford any top grand which would just seem more pleasurable to practice on. If he actually has an upright for budgetary reasons that would be incredibly sad from my point of view.

Cherkassky practiced on an upright but I consider him a bit of a kook. It's also possible that the video was taken in someone else's apartment and the cat does not belong to Tao.
Posted By: LarryK Re: Empurror Concerto - 01/08/20 05:12 PM

A good upright may well be adequate for professional practice, but I wonder why some like Tao would use one. As far as I know he has been extremely successful as a professional musician and could easily afford any top grand which would just seem more pleasurable to practice on. If he actually has an upright for budgetary reasons that would be incredibly sad from my point of view.

Cherkassky practiced on an upright but I consider him a bit of a kook. It's also possible that the video was taken in someone else's apartment and the cat does not belong to Tao.

As I mentioned in another thread, James Rhodes practices at home on a Kawai upright that has a silent system, at least, he did in some videos on his Piano Man DVD, which I purchased. He might have upgraded by now to a grand, I don’t know. Perhaps he has a bigger flat now than he had then. He flies on that Kawai upright, I doubt I’ll ever play as fast. He said he liked the silent feature because he can play and not drive the neighbors crazy with five hours of practice a day. James may not be in the top tier of pianists but he is making a living at it and he is a good player.
Posted By: SouthernZephyr Re: Empurror Concerto - 01/08/20 05:52 PM

Possible this is not Tao’s cat? Of course. Very likely that it is his? Highly likely. No one looks at someone else’s Cat that adoringly. And cats don’t bond with just anyone like most dogs will. These guys have a strong relationship 😽😽
Posted By: bennevis Re: Empurror Concerto - 01/08/20 09:03 PM
I'm a self-confessed catperson (hmm, might even change my user name to it........... wink ) - cats always gaze adoringly at me, even if they only saw me for the first time. I purr back to them of course.

I well remember visiting a small village in middle Greece once, and the local stray tabby came straight towards me and jumped onto my lap, just so I could stroke it and it could purr to me. (When I left, it went straight to the next available tourist and jumped on her lap to be stroked......)

There's no doubt - some are born felinists.
Posted By: newport Re: Empurror Concerto - 01/08/20 11:43 PM
Ok, waiting for this mysterious creature Opossum being mentioned in this thread soon ... :-)
Posted By: SouthernZephyr Re: Empurror Concerto - 01/09/20 01:24 AM
Originally Posted by bennevis
I'm a self-confessed catperson (hmm, might even change my user name to it........... wink ) - cats always gaze adoringly at me, even if they only saw me for the first time. I purr back to them of course.

I well remember visiting a small village in middle Greece once, and the local stray tabby came straight towards me and jumped onto my lap, just so I could stroke it and it could purr to me. (When I left, it went straight to the next available tourist and jumped on her lap to be stroked......)

There's no doubt - some are born felinists.

You are not just a cat person .... you are a cat whisperer 😽. It usually takes cats a long time to develop a relationship
Posted By: ebonyk Re: Empurror Concerto - 01/09/20 08:01 PM
My 3 cats are my biggest fans! 😂😂😂
© Piano World Piano & Digital Piano Forums