Piano World Home Page
Posted By: noyes Baldwin L vs. Steinway A - 10/26/21 10:08 PM
Do Baldwin L and Steinway A have the same scale design?

Pictures below are taken from the LivingPianos website.

The Steinway may have one more hole in the plate, but other than that to my untrained eyes they have the exact same layout.

If the layouts are so similar, are these two pianos known to have similar sound characteristics?

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Posted By: BDB Re: Baldwin L vs. Steinway A - 10/26/21 10:54 PM
Steinway A: 13-6, 13-1/2-4, 14-4, 14-1/2-4, 15-4, 15-1/2-6, 16-6, 16-1/2-5, 17-12, 18-4, 19-4, 20-2
Baldwin L: 13-6 or 5, 13-1/2-4, 14-4, 14-1/2-5 or 6, 15-6, 15-1/2-6, 16-6, 16-1/2-4, 17-10. 18-6, 19-4, 20-2
The latter numbers for the L is for vertical tuning pins. There are variations for early Steinway As, as well.
Posted By: terminaldegree Re: Baldwin L vs. Steinway A - 10/26/21 11:08 PM
Originally Posted by noyes
If the layouts are so similar, are these two pianos known to have similar sound characteristics?

In my experience, no. They also don’t feel the same. Different actions, different hammers, likely different soundboard designs and thicknesses. these pianos have always seemed very different to me, but now that I think of it, I don’t think I’ve ever played the two side-by-side in the same space.
Posted By: noyes Re: Baldwin L vs. Steinway A - 10/26/21 11:33 PM
BDB: From the two sets of numbers you provided I can see they are very similar. But what are these numbers?

terminaldegree: So it is true that the two pianos' "scale designs" are almost identical, at least from the pictures? However since they have different action, hammers, and soundboard they still sound very different.

I guess my question is really this: I always hear sales pitches regarding how great a "scale design" is, but what does that exactly mean?
Posted By: pyropaul Re: Baldwin L vs. Steinway A - 10/27/21 12:09 AM
Isn't the M&H AA supposed to be a copy of one version of the Steinway A and the BB a copy of the B?
Posted By: BDB Re: Baldwin L vs. Steinway A - 10/27/21 01:44 AM
Noyes: The stringing scales.

Pyropaul: The Mason & Hamlin BB is not at all like the Steinway B.
Posted By: WilliamTruitt Re: Baldwin L vs. Steinway A - 10/27/21 08:28 AM
Vertical HITCH Pins, BDB.

The comparison of the two piano scales cannot be complete without the bass and tenor wound string scaling.

Nor are the speaking lengths included.

The two pianos do sound quite different, and the gauge numbers alone tell you very little.

Pyropaul: The Mason & Hamlin AA is not at all like the Steinway A.
Posted By: pyropaul Re: Baldwin L vs. Steinway A - 10/27/21 12:03 PM
AA & BB versus A and B -> I was clearly speaking nonsense! I don't remember who told me that years ago, but it's obviously wrong! Supposedly some other companies did directly copy early Model A and Model B designs - but I can't remember which they were.

Paul.
Posted By: BDB Re: Baldwin L vs. Steinway A - 10/27/21 04:35 PM
A lot of companies copied the Steinway A designs with more or less accuracy, including Mason & Hamlin. Fewer copied the B, and even fewer the D. But the Mason & Hamlin BB has one more bass note than the Steinway B.
© Piano World Piano & Digital Piano Forums