Piano World Home Page
Hello,

How does a 1990 Weinbach 5'8" grand piano compare to a 1990's Yamaha C2 as far as features and quality of build?

Thank you!
After 25 to 30 years, the current condition of each of these pianos would probably trump any difference in features and build quality when they were new. Weinbach's might have had a slight edge over the Yamahas quality wise back in the day.
Originally Posted by Carey
After 25 to 30 years, the current condition of each of these pianos would probably trump any difference in features and build quality when they were new.

Absolutely true! Condition is king in this scenario.

might have had a slight edge over the Yamahas quality wise back in the day.

Sorry, absolutely false. The Weinbach/Petrof pianos were quite rough at the time and, in general, sounded harsh. They used DeToa actions and lower quality components and materials throughout than they did even 5 or 6 years later. The Yamaha would be my vote IF (and only if) everything else were equal.
Originally Posted by Rich Galassini

Sorry, absolutely false. The Weinbach/Petrof pianos were quite rough at the time and, in general, sounded harsh. They used DeToa actions and lower quality components and materials throughout than they did even 5 or 6 years later. The Yamaha would be my vote IF (and only if) everything else were equal.

Notice I said "might have." smile I was basing my comment on the Petrof rankings from the 2002 Piano Book. You certainly have much more real world knowledge regarding the issue than I - so thanks for the clarification.
Originally Posted by Rich Galassini

Notice I said "might have." smile I was basing my comment on the Petrof rankings from the 2002 Piano Book. You certainly have much more real world knowledge regarding the issue than I - so thanks for the clarification.

Thank you. Then perhaps the difference in price speaks to your points. The Weinbach is about 3k less than the C2.

Someone said that the difference in price was only because of the “name/brand” but that Weinbach model would cost a lot more otherwise as it was handmade.
© Piano World Piano & Digital Piano Forums