Piano World Home Page
Posted By: JHL minimum distance from the wall? - 02/25/21 06:56 AM
If I need to place a grand piano so that its long side runs parallel with an interior wall, is there any minimum distance that I should keep between the wall and the piano? Or can I place it as close to the wall as possible?
Posted By: JHL Re: minimum distance from the wall? - 02/25/21 07:17 AM
Actually, I should have been more precise. Basically, I'm thinking about placing it in one corner of a room, so that the long side runs parallel with one wall and the round end part is against another all (both walls are interior). Not considering the sound, is there any reason why it shouldn't be placed very close to the walls? Would a piano technician need some clearance for tuning/repair?
Posted By: PhilipInChina Re: minimum distance from the wall? - 02/25/21 08:10 AM
I have a piano in a similar position. All I would say is that if you have space make sure that you can get between the instrument and the wall. The actual distance is a function of your BMI.
Posted By: BDB Re: minimum distance from the wall? - 02/25/21 08:16 AM
Enough so the lid can be opened.
Posted By: pianoloverus Re: minimum distance from the wall? - 02/25/21 08:51 AM
Unless you really have to place it so close to both walls, I would suggest leaving more space at least in relation to one of the walls for aesthetic reasons.
Posted By: David-G Re: minimum distance from the wall? - 02/25/21 12:08 PM
My piano is in the corner of the room, with the long side against a wall. But the keyboard is in the corner, not the rear of the piano. Well, the piano is in fact a yard or so forward from the corner. So basically I sit in the corner, and look out into the room when I play, which is nice. The piano is in fact very slightly angled, so that the rear end is just a little bit away form the wall. Altogether I find this a very satisfactory arrangement.
Posted By: SonatainfSharp Re: minimum distance from the wall? - 02/25/21 01:36 PM
Originally Posted by JHL
Actually, I should have been more precise. Basically, I'm thinking about placing it in one corner of a room, so that the long side runs parallel with one wall and the round end part is against another all (both walls are interior). Not considering the sound, is there any reason why it shouldn't be placed very close to the walls? Would a piano technician need some clearance for tuning/repair?
As long as the lid can pivot when opened without scraping the wall, you can go as close as you'd like. A tech or anyone needing to get in that space would be so incredibly rare that you can just move the piano a few inches if it came to that.
Posted By: oldMH Re: minimum distance from the wall? - 02/25/21 02:33 PM
Place it wherever you like for aesthetic and acoustic reasons. We like about 12-18 inches clearance. If you room is tiny you may want to move closer.
Posted By: JHL Re: minimum distance from the wall? - 02/25/21 05:43 PM
Thank you all. The wall that the tail of the piano would be facing is short, so I'd need to get as close as possible to the wall for the long side. I like the idea of slightly angling the piano.
© Piano World Piano & Digital Piano Forums