Piano World Home Page
I guess it's universal here that when it comes to touch/action, everyone agrees that a grand is superior to an upright. I'm just wondering if there's any brand/model of uprights that have action as good as or very close to a grand piano's, regardless of the price? Share your experience.
Darrell Fandrich & Sons pianos come close at an affordable price.
I have been told that my Mason Hamlin Model 50 upright has an action very close to a grand if not better then some grands.

I have only played on that piano and an older digital from yamaha but others that do play grands and visit make those comments.

My piano tuner has also been very impressed with it.
My understanding is that with the exception of the Fandrich vertical action mentioned above and possibly an action that uses some magnets(can't remember which piano has this option), no vertical action functions the same way a grand action does in terms of repetition. The designs are fundamentally different. Therefore, it only becomes a question of how good a vertical's action is compared to other verticals.

I have no idea who said the Mason vertical action is very close to a grand, but that kind of statement makes little sense to me.
Originally Posted by stephenll
I have been told that my Mason Hamlin Model 50 upright has an action very close to a grand if not better then some grands.

Welcome to PW, Stephen. What vintage is your piano? Did the person who said that say in what way its action is close to a grand?
Posted By: BDB Re: Upright with action similar/close to grand? - 12/05/13 01:16 AM
My Mason & Hamlin upright's action is similar to a Fandrich's, but it is a very old piano. A number of manufacturer's used similar systems.
Originally Posted by Delphian2001
I guess it's universal here that when it comes to touch/action, everyone agrees that a grand is superior to an upright. I'm just wondering if there's any brand/model of uprights that have action as good as or very close to a grand piano's, regardless of the price? Share your experience.

Sauter pianos have their own design double repetition R2 action which is close to the feel of a grand action. It has an extra spring that allows for playing fast repeated notes, trills etc. You can go to the Sauter website and see a cut away picture of the action.

A R
Originally Posted by A Rebours
Sauter pianos have their own design double repetition R2 action which is close to the feel of a grand action.

I'd be interested to know why Sauter use the term "double repetition". Does it mean twice as fast, two ways to repeat, strikes the strings twice, or what?
Revisit my posting/inquiry on the 'Ultimate Vertical Piano"? I wish this was a sticky of some sort or rating system possibility. I plan on re-visiting the list to update now and then.

http://www.pianoworld.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/2113894/1.html
Originally Posted by A Rebours
Sauter pianos have their own design double repetition R2 action which is close to the feel of a grand action. It has an extra spring that allows for playing fast repeated notes, trills etc.

Over the past 100+ years there have been many different ideas, patents, designs and features which were meant to improve deep repetition on upright pianos. Most involve some sort of additional springs, and more recently, magnets. While many of these configurations actually improve repetition quite a bit, there is still no vertical piano which has the feel of a grand action, or gets really close to it.

This is because the "bump" or trigger point in a grand action is very defined, due to the direction of hammer travel in relation to gravity.

So: excellent repetition is possible in a vertical, but a "grand feel" is not. They are two different things.
© Piano World Piano & Digital Piano Forums