2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
49 members (Curt-S, dire tonic, Earlyriser, antune, clothearednincompo, barbaram, beeboss, Anglagard44, 11 invisible), 1,368 guests, and 489 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
My counting issue:

I guess I have a rock and roll mentality when it comes to music. Probably from listening to Black Sabbath at 78 speed =)

I'm a little better with the metronome than I am with counting, but Teach still wants me to count, so I will. heck, it worked for Lawrence Welk, so it can't hurt me. Right? =))

(ad)
Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally posted by Naught:
My counting issue:

I guess I have a rock and roll mentality when it comes to music.
You can only count to four? And please don't confuse me with all that "subdividing" crap! laugh

I'm sorry! Couldn't resist! I really, truly DO love rock music, but you gotta admit, the temptation to fall into the stereotype was pretty strong! laugh laugh wink

I actually do better with counting out loud than with a metronime. That stupid clicking just gets on my nerves!

-Mak

1889 Mason & Hamlin screwstringer upright
Kawai MP-4 digital

---------------------------
When life hands you lemons, throw them back and add some of your own. Stupid life.
For you folks who enjoy learning the Fresh Aire pieces, if you haven't already learned it, I highly recommend Sonata. It's not difficult to learn - the bass clef is an Alberti bass throughout most of the piece, and it's especially fun to play as you listen to the CD at the same time. I always made it a game to get as perfectly synchronized with Chip Davis' playing as possible.

After a 15-year lapse in playing, I'm now re-learning Reverie and Chopin's Nocturnes 1 & 2 (Op. 9). Why? Because they move me.

Oh, BTW, name is Bob. Been lurking here for a while, so hello all!

If flying were the language of man, soaring would be its poetry.

Platinum Supporter until Dec 31 2012
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Hi Sky Sailor, welcome!!

I was glad to hear your assessment of the Fresh Aire piece. I clicked on IrishMak's link for the sheet music and got scared off by the description of it as being "intermediate to advanced". ("Advanced" is NOT a word I use in any sentence relating to my playing abilities.) But an alberti bass I can handle. smile

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Monica-

Believe me, "advanced" is about as far from my abilities as you can get! I think they overrated some of the pieces in the Fresh Aire book. I had Mist basically together after only a couple days. The first half is just single notes in the right hand and arpeggios in the left. The second half changes the right hand to chords, and the left stays the same. It really, really is easy. And the Interludes aren't any more difficult. There are a few pieces in there that might be a bit more difficult, but for the most part, it's really not bad. Hey, if I can play them, trust me- anyone can!

-Mak

1889 Mason & Hamlin screwstringer upright
Kawai MP-4 digital

---------------------------
When life hands you lemons, throw them back and add some of your own. Stupid life.
I'm working on Bach's 2-part invention #4. This one has a trill which stretches over about 4 measures, first appearing in the right hand then the left. It is so difficult for me that I'm sure when I do learn it that I will have accomplished something that will help me progress.
I just finished learning Chopin's Prelude #7. A lovely, short piece which needn't be played fast.
Many years ago I learned a piano version of Bach's Toccata and Fugue in D minor. The version was published by Hanson House. I lost it and have been unable to locate another copy. Apparently it is out of print. So I ordered another piano version, the old one done by Busoni. It was so different, and harder, that I decided not to attempt it. Then I went to Sheetmusicplus.com and looked up all the versions on their website. I found 7, and ordered all of them. $75. Some will have to be imported from Europe. That way I will be able to compare them and select the one closest to my beloved Hansen House version to relearn.

Piano: Kawai MP8; Interest: classical, self-taught. Occupation: electronics engineer 25 yrs.
Originally posted by IrishMak:
Originally posted by Naught:
[b] My counting issue:

I guess I have a rock and roll mentality when it comes to music.
You can only count to four? And please don't confuse me with all that "subdividing" crap! laugh

I'm sorry! Couldn't resist! I really, truly DO love rock music, but you gotta admit, the temptation to fall into the stereotype was pretty strong! laugh laugh wink

I actually do better with counting out loud than with a metronime. That stupid clicking just gets on my nerves! [/b]
Actually, I think its more a tendency to be sloppy with my timing. ya'know? =)

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Barbara CThe second trill is quite annoying, you'll see!
I played this invention when I had been playing for three months, I remember perfectly, I've only been playing for five months now.

But it's a good invention, take a look at some others, they're very good practice stuff.

And in my twisted face... there's not the slightest trace of anything that even hints at kindness...
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
DK:

You might want to check out Rufus Wainrights version of "hallelujah". I just happened to download it yesterday and it is very nice.

It is almost too simple a piece, but sounds very good just the same. I like to listen to it.

Naught: How many of this crew remember Lawrence Welk? (An' a one, an' a two.....) ha

1. Bach's two-part invention 7 & 13.
i work on invention 7 as backend job to improve my left hand trilling more. invention #13 is more than half-way. A few weeks later, i'll move on #9.

2. Beethoven's moonlight sonata.
i just start to study on expression, cause i arrives right speed, and almost error free in pressing correct keys. smile
will speed-up 2nd movement.
and just start to work on 3rd movement.

Originally posted by Agilita:
Naught: How many of this crew remember Lawrence Welk? (An' a one, an' a two.....) ha
At least one eh? =)

O
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
O
Oh I remember Lawrence Welk. As a small child in the 60's, I would often stay with my Grandmother in the summer time. She lived for 99 years and 363 days...she LOVED Lawrence Welk. I recall she would be ready to go to bed right after the "Good Night" song (and then up at 4:30 for no other reason than having slept enough).

Jeff
[Linked Image]

Originally posted by Agilita:
Um, me, but let me hasten to add it was only because my grandmother would watch him, and I was very, very, very young at the time, in diapers practically! I'm not old, no sir no way!

5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
Reworking a couple of pieces from WTC because I learned them fast and sloppy in a time of great stress and I'd like to keep them.

Chopin Nocturne op 37 nr 1 because it's easy and I like the sound of it

Chopin 10/12 (Revolutionary) because I love it and it's a great piece to let off steam

And yes I suffered through a great deal of Lawrence Welk as a child at my grandparent's house. My grandfather also liked the Grand Old Oprey (Flatt & Scruggs) which I infinitely preferred.

Slow down and do it right.
[Linked Image]
R
R
Truth is, there are exactly 3 songs I'd love to be able to perfectly before I'm dead and gone:

1. Beethoven's "Moonlight Sonata." For me, it's simply "the" most beautiful piece of piano music there is. (That's a personal choice, okay?)

2. "Misty." It, too, is simply a beautiful piece of music. Always struck me as "the" song one simply must know how to play if you're going to play the piano.

3. "Amazed," by Lonestar. This song is the reason I quit driving a big-truck over-the-road. It would play, I'd think of how much I missed my wife, and I've to pull over. Couldn't keep driving because I missed her so much.

So:

"Moonlight Sonata"? One-step forward, two-steps back. Has to do with still not having hands that can "remember" what they've played from one day to the next.

"Misty"? Almost there. Except I'm not even close to being able to improvise on it much, or play in different keys, and so forth.

"Amazed"? Another almost there.

I've concluded that I need no less than 84-years per song to learn it as well as I want. I'm so doomed.

Oh. And I sure would like to be able to play Elton John's "Don't Let the Sun Go Down on Me."

Randy

Randy
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Apple - I'd love to hear you play the Bach I bet it is wonderful.

I'm still polishing 1st 2 movements Beethoven Sonata Op 2 No 1, Bach Prelude & Fugue in D Major from WTC#1, Brahms Rhapsodie in G minor, Bartok Roumanian Folk Dances (this will probably be my recital piece for our next set), a couple studies and I'm just starting to work on the second Debussy Arabesque. Also working on various Children's Choir short pieces.

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Originally posted by Sonata:
1. Mozart - Fantasia K397,d minor
2.Beethoven - Sonata No1 op2/1 f minor
3. Chopin - Waltz op69 No2 b minor

Because I love "minor" smile
I worked on that Mozart piece last year, I really enjoyed this one. I loved the ebb & flow almost like waves crashing.

Cathy

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Bach's Prelude #1 in C (WTC)
Chopin's Waltz Op. 69 no.2
Brahm's Waltz Op. 39, no.3

I know more but this is three I'm concentrating on and trying to keep memorized.

Peter

Ok..Ok... If you don't want your Steinway give it to me !!!!
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally posted by Frycek:
And yes I suffered through a great deal of Lawrence Welk as a child at my grandparent's house. My grandfather also liked the Grand Old Oprey (Flatt & Scruggs) which I infinitely preferred.
I too remember watching Lawrence Welk. As far as the Grand Ole Opry...well, I still love it. I was just at the Grand Ole Opry last October for a show. (singing like John Denver)...thank god I'm a country boy! laugh

When I reach the place I'm going, I will surely know my way.
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  BB Player 

Link Copied to Clipboard
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Recital #63 - Call for Submissions
by Sam S - 08/01/21 05:58 AM
Under-piano pedal wood replacement
by Js367 - 08/01/21 01:25 AM
Everett upright Regulation
by wenhen90 - 07/31/21 06:57 PM
Marx
by dolce sfogato - 07/31/21 04:05 PM
Self-teaching and looking for good exercises
by TORaptors2019 - 07/31/21 03:46 PM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums42
Topics208,312
Posts3,118,026
Members102,295
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | MapleStreetMusicShop.com - Our store in Cornish Maine

© copyright 1997 - 2021 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission