2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
64 members (bcalvanese, brdwyguy, amc252, akse0435, 20/20 Vision, benkeys, apianostudent, 12 invisible), 2,113 guests, and 320 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
OP Offline
My school has an end of the year talent show. The time limit for a performance is five minutes and since I'm playing a lot of ARCT level pieces right now, I'm finding my music search slightly difficult. I'm looking for something that can show off my practice and talent. Preferably something fast.

Does anyone have any suggestions/links? Thanks a bunch. By the way, I have about two months to learn it.

Diana

How about Fantansie Impromtu........

Fast and about that level I think.......

Such a beautiful song.....

asdfasdfasdfasdfsdfasdfsa
T
Ted Offline
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
T
Diana:

If you want a flamboyant, tuneful, romantic piece with plenty of action you're more than welcome to any of my early compositions. I've scanned scores and emailed them to pianists before now and I'm told they've been enthusiastically received. At least you could more or less guarantee no one will have heard it before. The difficulty would be about that of a Chopin study I suppose.

Let me know if you want to see one and I'll send it.

tedj@gud.co.nz

"Mistakes are the portals of discovery." - James Joyce
T
T
In a talent show, the judges usually aren't too piano savvy. This being the case, anything that sounds impressive, they are generally amazed by. It's kinda like when you play piano for non-piano playing friends, and they're amazed by everything. I'm only saying this because if you already have a lot of difficult music to work on, you could learn something fast and flashy, but not super hard, so it wouldn't take up too much of your time. There's always good old Bumble Bee, there are easier transcriptions than rach's that still amaze an "untrained" audience. It also only takes a few minutes.

Tom

Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Ernst Toch's "The Juggler"

Flashy, short, meaty, loud, perfect, get it now!

"If we continually try to force a child to do what he is afraid to do, he will become more timid, and will use his brains and energy, not to explore the unknown, but to find ways to avoid the pressures we put on him." (John Holt)

www.pianoped.com
www.youtube.com/user/UIPianoPed
P
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
P
Ted,

I've not got a concert yet in which I could play it (though undoubtedly one will come up!), but I would love to try and play one of your pieces if you'd be so kind as to send me whichever one suits you! I'm at about the same level as kawahime. It sure would be nice to play something fresh that's not already been done to death.

Peter

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Chopin's Octave Etude
Chopin's Revolutionary Etude
But the BEST one to be showy, Chopin's Etude Op. 12 No. 4, it's just awesome to see someone perform it.

M
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
M
Originally posted by valarking:
... Chopin's Etude Op. 12 No. 4, it's just awesome to see someone perform it.
yes, indeed...it would be awesome...something never-before heard... wink

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Originally posted by magnezium:
Originally posted by valarking:
[b]... Chopin's Etude Op. 12 No. 4, it's just awesome to see someone perform it.
yes, indeed...it would be awesome...something never-before heard... wink [/b]
As if a talent show judge would be picky about how common something is. :rolleyes:

C
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
C
I think you misunderstood his sarcasm- he was poking fun at the thought of there being an actual piece of Op.12, #4. (Maybe you mean Op.10, No.4) not at the idea that it is overplayed!

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Ah, ok, kind of pointless, one could easily go around poking fun at all the typos online. :rolleyes:

I'm sticking by Ernst Toch's "The Juggler"

I wouldn't recommend a Chopin etude in two month's time for a talent show, although it might work if you've played a couple before and can rework one. Might be possible, though, just depends on how far along you are in ARCT world.

The Toch can be learned in under a month and once you've got it down, it's the kind of piece you can really play the &$*%&!! out of.

Also consider Villa-Lobos' Polichinelle (from 'A Prole do Bebe No. 1') It's also short, flashy, fast, and LOTS of fun!

"If we continually try to force a child to do what he is afraid to do, he will become more timid, and will use his brains and energy, not to explore the unknown, but to find ways to avoid the pressures we put on him." (John Holt)

www.pianoped.com
www.youtube.com/user/UIPianoPed
M
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
M
valarking,

just curious, it was Op. 10 No. 4 right? not the Op. 25 one?

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Good point magnezium. I have never seen someone perform Op25 N.4 but I'm sure it must be quite impressive too.

"War does not determine who is right; only who is left."
OP Offline
Wow thanks for everyone's replies. I really should have thought this through more. I just realized: I dont' really have time to learn a Chopin Etude and MEMORIZE it as well in two months. Mainly because I'm horrible at memorizing songs.

I was thinking maybe I shouldn't bother memorizing it, but I would look WAY more talented if I did the piece by memory, right?? Hmm... tough decision. I think I'll ask my teacher. She probably knows my learning capacity best, right??

Anyway, thanks for everyone's input. I REALLY love the Chopin fantasie impromptu so that will probably be my first choice if I choose to do a Chopin piece..

Diana

P
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
P
Just in case you do decide to go for a Chopin Etude, I would have to recommend Op. 10 No. 3, as it is by far the easiest to play at a moderate level, and sounds impressive to non-musicians who fall in love with the main melody while being impressed by the middle section.

Peter

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
You could try Chopin Op.25 N.2
I memorized it in two days. I think it's easier than Op10 N.3 although I have not finished learning Op10 N.3 (too boring...)

"War does not determine who is right; only who is left."
C
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
C
I also have a talent show coming up, and I thought of a marvelous idea. The selection of pieces I could of played were Chopin b minor Scherzo, or the Beethoven b flat major sonata Op. 22. The problem is twofold, first, both pieces are fairly long and thus I would have to cut too much down, so I rather not play these. Secondly, I don't know how they will be recieved by the audience, since I don't think there will be too much knowledge of classical music.

My plan is to play a composition that I just composed, I will even improvise parts of it while I play. It is in the style of Rachmaninoff or so, although it is a bit different. I think I will have the best shot at pleasing everyone with this, since I know i can have 100% control over its aspects, unlike another composer's composition!

J
J
Flashy, and not as difficult as it seems. Chopin Etude OP 10 No 12. Don't go for sheer speed though or it sound a mess. There are thousands of possibilities really. Only you or your teacher who knows your capabilities, can really decide! Good luck.

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Definitely a zombie thread! wink You're 13 years late mate! grin

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,391
Posts3,349,273
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission