2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad) Piano Sight Reading
train piano sight reading with your iPhone or iPad
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
38 members (anotherscott, 36251, Blake123, ambrozy, 1957, Alex McG, berninicaco3, 6 invisible), 837 guests, and 524 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#792795 06/25/03 12:07 AM
JohnC Offline OP
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
Well, one of my two satellite receivers blew up over the weekend.

I am considering replacing both receivers with one Tivo unit for the same monthly cost. I know that a couple of years ago Tivo had some hardware issues and a lot of customer complaints regarding faulty hard drives I believe.

The Tivo option sounds like a much better set up than my current two boxes in order to be able to watch and record at the same time.

Is anyone a current customer of DIRECTV and using Tivo? Any good or bad experiences?

TIA

There are few joys in life greater than the absence of pain.
Piano & Music Accessories
#792796 06/25/03 07:56 AM
DT Offline
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
I don't have tivo or directtv, so skip if you'd like:

I have DISH with PVR, their version of tivo in a satellite receiver, but it will only record what the satellite is tuned to. I can watch broadcast tv and record satellite or watch the satellite channel I'm recording but can't watch one satellite channel while recording another or record anything from broadcast. They're supposed to be coming out with a dual hard drive unit that will allow two satellite channels at once.

Through clever and constant application of propaganda, people can be made to see paradise as heck...
#792797 06/25/03 08:00 AM
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
I don't have it but I know someone who does. He's a sports nut and loves it. I believe Tivo did have problems awhile back. I even remember Imus bitching about it frequently, but it seems things have been worked out. You can watch program A while recording program B, etc.

"If we lose freedom here, there's no place to escape to."
MSU - the university of Michigan!
Wheels
#792798 06/25/03 09:55 AM
JohnC Offline OP
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
You can watch program A while recording program B, etc.
Yes, that is the main feature which will allow me to replace two current satellite boxes with one Tivo box.

It will also allow you to watch one recorded program as well as record two programs all at the same time (can't imagine me needing this feature though). Also as I understand, it will allow you to start watching the beginning of a program your recording before it completely finishes recording the rest of it. This could be a handy feature. I now sometimes get home in the middle of a race I'm taping. I have to wait for the recording to finish and then watch it on tape. Now I can start sooner I think.

One less remote. That may be the biggest feature of all! laugh Actually two, since I won't need to keep switching my TV back and forth depending upon which satellite box I'm viewing thru.

DT, can't you just add a dual LNB fixture to your satellite therby allowing simultaneous recording and watching of different shows? I believe that is how the directv unit works.

#792799 06/25/03 05:05 PM
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
JohnC, I'm not a customer of either (I do the same thing with my PC), but I have a friend who is, and know a bit about it.

The Tivo is a great addition if you're willing to pay for the subscription.
I wouldn't worry about HDD issues, as you can now "hack" the Tivo, and put in a much bigger HDD. The trick is to slap an 80 or 120 GB HDD in that sucker, and be able to record everything you want to. smile

It works great with DirecTV as you can record A LOT of content.

Have yet to hear negatives from friend, so I'd say go for it!

KlavierBauer

#792800 06/26/03 06:44 AM
DT Offline
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally posted by JohnC:
[QUOTE]
DT, can't you just add a dual LNB fixture to your satellite therby allowing simultaneous recording and watching of different shows? I believe that is how the directv unit works.
I think the receiver only has a single tuner, which is what limits it. The dual hard drive model would have been an extra $600, so I thought I'd wait until that price dropped a bit. I have a quad antenna running three receivers, so there is a little room to expand.

Through clever and constant application of propaganda, people can be made to see paradise as heck...
#792801 06/26/03 09:49 AM
JohnC Offline OP
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
KB, the subscription is only $4.99/month. And since I would be going from two receiver boxes to the one Tivo unit I actually would save $4.99/month on the receiver box making it a total wash in cost, but receiving added features and convenience with the Tivo unit.

DirecTV also has an offer for current subscribers that is better than any retail purchase I've found (online or walk-in).

Sounds as though I have talked myself into it. wink

#792802 12/31/03 12:23 AM
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
John,

Did you ever get your TiVo? I got one for my anniversary and I LOVE it! No more commercials, ever. And I never have to worry whether my husband set the VCR to record Smallville!

penny

#792803 12/31/03 01:02 AM
I have Direct TV with Tivo.

I've had the Philips receiver for a couple of years with no complaints.

My complaint about DirecTV is that they juice the heck out of the volume when the commercials come on.

KB, is there a DIY solution to that??

#792804 12/31/03 06:12 AM
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
This is a timely thread (didn't notice the date of the first posts!). My daughter just told me tonight that there is a Bon Jovi concert on Direct TV, and that WE DO NOT HAVE DIRECT TV!! (are we dirt, or what??).

Could those of you with satellite systems describe/compare with cable? I've seen the "duh, every time the wind blew we lost the signal" commercials - is this accurate, are there other down sides to having a satellite dish?

And if possible. . . fess up on what these systems cost, initial outlay and monthly, and options (Direct TV?). I've looked at them a bit (very little), but know nothing about them. Seems reasonable in terms of cost (we pay just under $50/month for Comcast cable, and no, it's not digital cable, and no, it can't get Direct TV with Bon Jovi so I am dirt, give me a gun and one bullet... laugh )

Got our Comcast bill, along with a notice that rates are going up again in January. Geesh, they do raise the rates frequently! And I watch maybe 5 channels from the 70 provided with our package (50 of them are worthless).

#792805 12/31/03 01:17 PM
JohnC Offline OP
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
Penny,

Yes, I got the Tivo a while back and I LOVE IT! The convenience of recordng shows is just awesome! No more setting the VCR and the receiver box. No more finding out the time on both units wasn't synched thereby missing the beginning or end of the show. No more looking for a blank tape. It is just way too easy to use. thumb

Terry,

I haven't noticed the commercials being any louder but they sure seemed to be when I had cable.

Rvaga,

I hate cable. Every year they would have 2 or 3 outages caused by equipment failure (theirs). They never got the new channels I wanted but my bill kept going up. When I switched I got more channels I wanted and paid less for it.

I live in Southern California so the idea of a snowstorm affecting DIRECT TV wasn't an issue. But my local cable company would advertise that a hard rain would affect the satellite picture. Since I've had it I have had no picture issues (of course I've also had little rain). The picture quality is much better than what my cable company had.

FWIW, (and I'm no techie) I was told that satellite is pure digital and cable is analog converted to digital. Because of this I've been told that cable digital will never be as good of quality as satellite digital. In any case the DIRECT TV picture quality is outstanding.

My biggest reason for not switching earlier was the availability of local channels. That is no longer an issue. And even paying for the local channels my bill is less than what I would have paid the cable company for their lower quality, fewer channels I want, constant outages "service". YMMV.

Since I'm not now shopping I'm not sure what the intial cost is but there always seens to be a free two or three room set up being advertised somewhere. I do know that the initial cost/installation can vary by where you purchase the unit/service, so do shop.

Good luck! smile

#792806 12/31/03 01:45 PM
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
Maybe I'm not understanding all this, but I have DirectTV, and have the basic boxes on 3 Tv's - and I routinely record one channel while watching another, change channels, etc. with no problem. Have I worked some sort of miracle, or am I missing the point here?

#792807 12/31/03 02:59 PM
No cable where I live, so I have The Dish.

Snow tends not to be a problem down here, but monsoons are. If you have a good signal in the first place, it takes some pretty hard rain to cause fade, and I mean HARD!

The added advantage of satellite, is when you have nasty little things like hurricanes blow through, the cable may be out for days, but the satellite never dies. Even if they ran cable by my house today, I'd still stick with the satellite.

TNCR. Over 20 years. Over 2,000,000 posts. And a new site...

https://nodebb.the-new-coffee-room.club

Where pianists and others talk about everything. And nothing.
#792808 12/31/03 03:29 PM
JohnC Offline OP
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
Darn! This is my second attempt to reply. After composing a complete response and submitting it, PW errored out on me and I lost my post.

OK, from memory here goes.

Larry,

I think the main issue is your set up still requires you to set a VCR and a satellite receiver box. With Tivo there is no VCR. Recording is done digitally on a hard drive inside the Tivo box. No need to set two boxes.

I have had issues where a short power outage has caused my VCR to reset to the dreaded flashing 12:00. I've also had self inflicted wounds such as setting the time on the VCR to AM instead of PM or vice versa.

Have you ever forgot to set the speed on the tape to 6 hours when you want to record a sporting event or other long program? I have. Nothing like watching the Daytona 262 instead of the full 500 as your tape expires at 2 hours! LOL! laugh

Tivo still allows you to watch and record something different at the same time from one box.

I guess the bottom line is that the ease with which Tivo can be operated is just awesome. You can even tell it to record shows with certain actors or specific movie names. You don't even have to know when or what channel they are on. Tivo just finds them and records them for you.

Tivo also has a 35 hour time limit on what you can record and keep. If I'm not mistaken, as I type, AMC is running a Three Stooges marathon today. Yep, that's right, I will be the proud owner of something like 35 Stooge shorts. (Nyuk, Nyuk, Nyuk, Nyuk, Nyuk!) All of which can be recorded to tape by Tivo.

It's awsome Larry. Try it. You won't like it, you'll LOVE IT! I promise! :t:

Link Copied to Clipboard
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
I want to take on a boondoggle of a restoration project:
by berninicaco3 - 06/17/21 10:11 PM
how often is new piano coming in with scratches?
by Blake123 - 06/17/21 09:24 PM
How do you get a sound like this?
by Mavs972 - 06/17/21 08:54 PM
does yamaha sell an entire keybed?
by berninicaco3 - 06/17/21 08:22 PM
Best Format for external SSD using MAC
by Mta88 - 06/17/21 04:03 PM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums42
Topics207,574
Posts3,104,684
Members101,841
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | MapleStreetMusicShop.com - Our store in Cornish Maine

© copyright 1997 - 2021 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission