2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad) Piano Sight Reading
train piano sight reading with your iPhone or iPad
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
64 members (BlakeOR, ambrozy, Amy H, anotherscott, bsalad, brdwyguy, Animisha, AWilley, 12 invisible), 640 guests, and 610 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
JohnC Offline OP
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
BeeLady,

You returned just in time.

A swarm of bees has taken up residence on top of a brick column that supports a large beam coming out of the roof in front of the house. They may be getting inside the column and nesting, but I'm not sure since I don't remember if the column is hollow inside and now would not be a good time to get a ladder to go up for a look. wink

I've tried water spraying them out but that doesn't work. One of those little buggers bit me on the ear when I was minding my own business. ( mad ) I'm sure they are the safe garden variety honey bees but I'd still like to get rid of them. Any suggestions?

Do I need to send for Jolly, KB, and the gun patrol? That would require a lot of bullets and might create some damage to the house I would prefer to avoid. eek

Buzzingly yours,
John

There are few joys in life greater than the absence of pain.
Piano & Music Accessories
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
JohnC, I am glad I was online at this time!

If the swarm has just arrived, you can wait a few hours and it will likely take off on its own. Most swarms find a resting place while they wait for directions from their scout bees.

You could call a local beekeeper, the county extention agent or the fire department. All may have list of local beekeepers who would love to come and take the swarm. Free bees!!

For the most part, in swarm formation, a big glob of brown bees.. they are docile, just waiting for their instructions. Given it is near a chimney, though, I would look to have someone try to collect them. They will be easy to catch for a few hours, (by a beekeeper) like dumping wet sand into a bucket.

Good luck and don't panic. I try to remember for all things in life, bees included "This, too, shall pass." smile
PS: The Steinway is to be painted tomorrow! Thanks for your past advice!

BeeLady

Life is like a roll of toilet paper...the closer you get to the end, the faster it goes!
JohnC Offline OP
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
Well, they've been around for a few weeks now. Seems they may have made a home. If they are waiting for instructions they must all apparently be deaf. I've told them to get the *ell out multiple times.

Would they still be easy to catch if they have taken up residence? And if they are resident and I ignore them how long before they eventually move on to that great beehive in the sky?

If only I could play flight of the bumble bee! laugh Wait, maybe I could play a recording of it (I have a Rachmaninoff version) and lure them out like the pied piper? No?

Glad to hear your moving forward with the piano. Take some pics and post them here! smile

There are few joys in life greater than the absence of pain.
K
7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
K
John
Your fire dept may have a local beekeper's phone#.

Now, get buzzzzzzzzzzzzzy smile

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Sounds like you have a full fledged hive. I would call a beekeeper, thru the county ,Orange or LA county, extention or agricultural agent. 4H maybe, as here in my county the ag agent has been eliminated.

Anymore than 24hours or so is a hive. Swarms usually last no more than a day or so. Worst case, call an exterminator. Do they still have the vendor that would offer to "freeze their little butts off"? We used them when we lived in LA for termites.

I hope to have pics of the piano soon. We were to take a trip to the shop but my tech stopped by yesterday for a check, as things seem to be moving along faster than usual. When all is done I will try to post pics as I learn how to do so!!

Good luck and again, don't panic. All can be resolved with the right "tech". smile

BeeLady

Life is like a roll of toilet paper...the closer you get to the end, the faster it goes!
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
I'd take beelady's advice, but if it all falls through, remember the motto of the Green Berets:

"There is no problem in the world, that a properly placed charge of high explosive, cannot take care of!" laugh

TNCR. Over 20 years. Over 2,000,000 posts. And a new site...

https://nodebb.the-new-coffee-room.club

Where pianists and others talk about everything. And nothing.

Link Copied to Clipboard
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
Couch to Concert Hall
Couch to Concert Hall
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Hand Development and the Thumb
by Ghostnotes - 05/14/21 02:41 PM
Interesting Craigslist find: Knabe Grand
by D.P. - 05/14/21 01:41 PM
Pipe Organ built into a house
by FrankCox - 05/14/21 12:59 PM
Rotatur cuff damage
by PhilipInChina - 05/14/21 11:23 AM
Twenty cents flat -- lower the pitch?
by edferris - 05/14/21 10:20 AM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums42
Topics206,929
Posts3,093,460
Members101,517
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | MapleStreetMusicShop.com - Our store in Cornish Maine

© copyright 1997 - 2021 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission