2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
51 members (An Old Square, 36251, anotherscott, APianistHasNoName, Abdol, ambrozy, 15 invisible), 603 guests, and 459 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
#735278 02/14/05 02:18 PM
X
X
Steve

According to the above cited winsupersite and my experiences as an IT guru ( cool ) there is a compatibility modus in XP which makes your offending application believe that it's running under Windows 98.

Hope this helps

xuser

Piano & Music Accessories
#735279 02/14/05 02:28 PM
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Steve, make sure you have XP Patches for anything you purchased for 98/98SE that you wish to run in XP. There are lots of programs that won't work right, but will work perfectly fine with the right patch from the manufacturer.

There's no real issue leaving your coputer (Pc or laptop) on ALL the time... but there are a couple of small things to watch out for.

Your display...
It draws a bit of power, and is also something you don't want to go out on you. Make sure it turns itself off after a bit of idle behavior. Same thing goes for disk drives. These are really the only "moving parts" in your computer. If they're not running when they don't need to be, there's a lot less of a chance that they will break at some point.

Sounds like you're having fun!

Also, I just wanted to clarify about wireless internet as it was mentioned earlier.
Wireless internet, and a wireless LAN are two very different things. you can setup a wireless network anywhere to utilize the internet connection you already have in a wireless way. Getting 802.11(x) compatible wireless built into your laptop utilizes a wireless network that you will create with a wireless router/access point. This is not the same as any of the wireless internet services that are being provided (like Satellite, microwave, laser, etc.). Getting a built in, or PCMCIA wireless adaptor will not connect you to the internet, it will make you able to connect to wireless networks, which you will then also have to create.... unless you're looking at getting into War Driving! smile

#735280 02/14/05 10:25 PM
3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
Originally posted by KlavierBauer:
Steve, make sure you have XP Patches for anything you purchased for 98/98SE that you wish to run in XP. There are lots of programs that won't work right, but will work perfectly fine with the right patch from the manufacturer.

But what if they won't load? Tomorrow is phone call day to answer that question. At least Quickbooks transferred seamlessly - that's a big load off my mind. If I can find the Office 2000 disc it looks like I can convert my Word perfect files too, or else I can drop a $hundy and buy a new copy of Wordperfect and just transfer them as-is.

That leaves Daytimer Organizer, and I am going to have to find a replacement. All I want it to do is organize names and phone numbers in a format that I can print out and put in to my little Daytimer book. The contact manager that comes with Windows won't perform that simple task - you can't sort by name, of all things.

Any recommendations?

Also, I just wanted to clarify about wireless internet as it was mentioned earlier.
Wireless internet, and a wireless LAN are two very different things. you can setup a wireless network anywhere to utilize the internet connection you already have in a wireless way. Getting 802.11(x) compatible wireless built into your laptop utilizes a wireless network that you will create with a wireless router/access point.
Yup - and the laptop came with a wireless router (free with a rebate - have I told you how much I hate buying things at retail?) and a built-in wireless card to do just that. I'm holding off on installing that part until I get everything else squared up. There's no reason to add that level of complication just yet, and besides...

... as soon as I turned the laptop on for the first time, it hooked in to my neighbor's wireless LAN. eek

Defender of the Landfill Piano
#735281 02/14/05 10:30 PM
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
... as soon as I turned the laptop on for the first time, it hooked in to my neighbor's wireless LAN.
Woohoo! Free internet! laugh j/k

For off-topic discussion, please feel free to visit www.coffee-room.com
#735282 02/14/05 10:30 PM
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Originally posted by Steve Miller:
as soon as I turned the laptop on for the first time, it hooked in to my neighbor's wireless LAN. eek
Kenny's? No, wait...

[Linked Image]

"If we lose freedom here, there's no place to escape to."
MSU - the university of Michigan!
Wheels
#735283 02/14/05 10:32 PM
3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
Originally posted by gryphon:
Kenny's? No, wait...
That's what I thought of as soon as I realized what had happened... smile

Now I wonder if I need to get savvy on firewalls and such if I am going to use the wireless thing - and if it's worth the hassle.

#735284 02/15/05 12:36 AM
B
BDB Offline
B
The router serves as a firewall. You can set it up so only your computers can connect to it wirelessly if you want, but you are much safer using the router than not.

If you want to be really secure, set up the WPA PSK security on the router and your laptop. You will connect with a password, and information passing between the computer and the router will be encrypted. For ordinary household use, it probably doesn't make much difference.

Semipro Tech
#735285 02/15/05 06:28 AM
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Most of the wireless broadcasters come with standard factory-configured settings for their wireless equipment, which the cards are pre-set to recognize.

If you just change the name of your connection (from 'linksys' to 'pitchingfool', for example smile ), you'll be doing more than what 90% of people do in terms of security, and your neighbors won't be able to tap into your wireless network. Also absolutely you should set up WEP or whatever your system has. It's easy--but make sure you save your WEP key (which you'll create along the way) into a Word document because you'll *never* remember it again if you have to reset things.

#735286 02/15/05 07:58 AM
3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
Originally posted by Nina:
Also absolutely you should set up WEP or whatever your system has. It's easy--but make sure you save your WEP key (which you'll create along the way) into a Word document because you'll *never* remember it again if you have to reset things.
What's a WEP?

#735287 02/15/05 08:05 AM
3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
Regarding the XP desktop computer:

When I try to load two different pieces of software; Adobe Photoshop (which loaded on to the XP laptop just fine - I have the disc) and Activehome (which the manufacturer assures me should work on XP and if it doesn't I should "call Microsoft"), I get the following error message:

16 bit Windows subsystem
c:\windows\system32\autoexec.nt The system file is not suitable for running MS-Dos and Microsoft Windows applications. Choose close to terminate the application.

Close button Ignore button

If you click on ignore, it just sits there. The "call Microsoft" guy said it probably means that something is set wrong in this computer. Anyone have an idea as to what and to where?

Thanks!

#735288 02/15/05 09:13 AM
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
WEP = Wired Equivalent Privacy. It's really intended to deter eavesdropping on your wireless network, but it has a secondary effect of stopping unauthorized access to your network.

It's not the be-all and end-all of security by any means but for home use it is probably good enough.

It's basically a password that is held by the wireless broadcaster/router (or whatever your hardware is); it will only allow access to the network for systems that know this password. IIRC, you set it up first when you set up your wireless hardware (write it down!!), then when you go to each computer to set it up to receive the signal, you also give it the same password. You can get more secure (and it's becoming much easier to set up security with a lot of the wireless software) but it is probably not necessary unless you're sending really confidential data back and forth... or suspect your neighbors are actually spies. wink

The main thing it will do is stop your neighbors from using your wireless network as theirs (even unintentionally), which will slow down your own network performance.

#735289 02/15/05 09:52 AM
J
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
J
Regarding the XP desktop computer:

16 bit Windows subsystem
c:\windows\system32\autoexec.nt The system file is not suitable for running MS-Dos and Microsoft Windows applications. Choose close to terminate the application.
Steve, the file XP Fix.exe at http://www.visualtour.com/downloads/xp_fix.exe will probably fix your problem.

#735290 02/15/05 10:27 AM
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
changing your SSID from "Linksys" to "whatever" doesn't make it any harder to see, or connect to. This is really only effective as "security" if you want to disassociate yourself from the network. In other words, not naming it "SteveMiller" will make it harder to know who exactly owns the network. But unless you enable WEP, or some sort of other filtering (preferrably something like MAC address filtering or something like it) nobody will have any problem hopping on.

It's important to know though, that there's little malicious someone can do once on your network if you don't have file/printer sharing etc. up and running.
That is to say, even if someone gets onto your shared wireless connection, most people won't be able to do too much if they're not allowed into anything (don't leave your whole c: shared for instance). For the people who can do something malicious with your network, simple WEP (Wired Equivalent Privacy) isn't going to keep them out for very long (can be cracked in a matter of a couple hours).

This isn't to scare you away from wireless, it's actually to make you less fearful of it. Information can't be stolen that isn't there to steal in the first place.
Wireless is wonderful, especially with a laptop. There's nothing like sitting on the couch watching a movie and wondering "what other movies was he in?"
Then just cruising over to imdb.com while you're sitting there and settling the debate. smile

Enjoy!

#735291 02/15/05 10:37 AM
B
BDB Offline
B
There are applications that will detect SSIDs even if they are hidden, as well as WEP passwords. If you want to be the most secure, set up WPA PSK security, and tell the router which machines you will allow to connect. But it's undoubtedly overkill.

Semipro Tech
#735292 02/15/05 10:38 AM
3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
Originally posted by jkeene:
[b] Regarding the XP desktop computer:

16 bit Windows subsystem
Steve, the file XP Fix.exe at http://www.visualtour.com/downloads/xp_fix.exe will probably fix your problem. [/b]
YES! Worked perfectly!

Thanks!

OK - I changed the resolution on the monitor and now it flickers. It flickers even when I change it back to the resolution it was on before. I changed monitors and the problem is still there.

What did I do and how do I fix it?

#735293 02/15/05 10:40 AM
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Steve, figure out who manufactured your graphics card, and make sure you have the most recent drivers/adaptors installed.
Many will have problems with XP until patched, but no worries, most major manufacturers of graphics cards will have updated XP drivers, etc. on their websites.

BDB:
I agree with you... to really make a home network secure will almost certainly be overkill. Setup MAC address filtering or WEP and be done with it. If people want to share your internet connection that badly, let them! smile

#735294 02/15/05 10:41 AM
3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
How do I figure out who made the graphics card? Do I open the box and look at it or is there some sort of search I can do?

#735295 02/15/05 10:58 AM
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Is this your laptop or desktp we're talking about?

First, go to control panel > system > click on "hardware" tab > click on "Device Manager", then click on "Display Adaptors".
That should tell you what sort of graphics card/adaptor you have. If you open up the "properties" for this entry (simply double click it) you should see the manufacturer if it isn't already clear (i.e. ATI Technologies, Nvidia, etc.)

You might also try adjusting your refresh rate since it's flickering on more than one monitor. This is done differently for different cards, but might just be as simple as selecting a different refresh rate in the graphics card's properties.

#735296 02/15/05 09:43 PM
3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
Originally posted by KlavierBauer:
Is this your laptop or desktp we're talking about?

It's the desktop machine.

First, go to control panel > system > click on "hardware" tab > click on "Device Manager", then click on "Display Adaptors".
That should tell you what sort of graphics card/adaptor you have. If you open up the "properties" for this entry (simply double click it) you should see the manufacturer if it isn't already clear (i.e. ATI Technologies, Nvidia, etc.)

Yup - works just like you say. Downloaded the latest driver - Intel "Extreme Graphics". Didn't solve the flckering problem, but it does put an icon in the tray for the purpose of adjusting it.

also try adjusting your refresh rate since it's flickering on more than one monitor.

That's one of the things you can do from the tray icon - so I did. Fixed the problem by changing from "60" to "70". Other choices are "72" and "85" - what would be the advantage of using one of those?

Thanks!

#735297 02/16/05 10:15 AM
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
[b] also try adjusting your refresh rate since it's flickering on more than one monitor.

That's one of the things you can do from the tray icon - so I did. Fixed the problem by changing from "60" to "70". Other choices are "72" and "85" - what would be the advantage of using one of those?

Thanks! [/b]
The higher the refresh rate, the faster the flicker. All CRT monitors flicker. But when the refresh rate gets above 60 or so, our eyes don't see the flicker. The higher the supported number, i.e. 85, the better on the eyes.

Wynne
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Pianos - Organs - & Keyboards, Oh My!
My first professionally recorded piece
---------------------
Visit Maine, Meet Mr. Piano World
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Kawai VPC-1 or Roland A88 MKII (or FP30X)?
by detektorosradio - 12/08/21 06:03 PM
Birdcage Piano Tuner needed in Virginia
by zander35 - 12/08/21 04:45 PM
Another "Which Midi Controller Should I Buy"
by cody.carrig - 12/08/21 04:05 PM
Chopin's Polonaise 26/2 and staccato duration
by Mati - 12/08/21 04:04 PM
How good is a Chickering 105 B concert grand?
by tommyhaha - 12/08/21 02:34 PM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums42
Topics210,462
Posts3,151,652
Members103,560
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | MapleStreetMusicShop.com - Our store in Cornish Maine

© copyright 1997 - 2021 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission