2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
58 members (APianistHasNoName, Adam Reynolds, Carey, brdwyguy, beeboss, Chris B, Cheeeeee, 10 invisible), 1,853 guests, and 274 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Y
OP Offline
Y
I never played a 'waterfall' key piano/organ and I would like to know how it works...

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Rather than the standard white key on a piano which has a lip, waterfall keys are rounded and without a lip.

Representing Yamaha, Story and Clark, and other fine instruments
Menchey Music Service
Associate Member of PTG
Serving Central Pennsylvania and the Greater Baltimore Area
G
G
I would strongly dissuade ANYONE from getting a piano with "waterfall" or bevelled white keys! It's absolutely awful to play these pianos as your fingers have less of a surface area on which to play ... the fingers literally "fall" off the keys.

When you are used to a white key being a certain length, the 3-5 mm of length that are subtracted from the white keys on a "waterfall" keyed piano have the effect of causing the pianist GREAT frustration and I believe your controll of dynamic range is also, consequently, greatly limited.

If you tend to "stroke" the white keys at times -- and I think most intermediate and better players do this for expression and putting their whole body into a piece -- then you will be driven crazy by the waterfall feature. If you don't know if you "stroke" the keys or at least at times do a far reach that allows your finger to barely grab the END of a white key, then carefully watch (or have someone watch you play) yourself play for 2 minutes. I guarantee you will notice why a white key is supposed to be as long as it is with the standard "lip" that Christopher described above.

My sister has one of these pianos. I really enjoy playing the piano ... but I simply HATE playing hers b/c of that feature. So, I rarely, if ever, play her piano during the week each year I visit her (out of state).

I will admit that my sister is quite a good piano player (she was a music minor in college and is a piano teacher to about 10 kids) and doesn't seem to be bothered by her piano. I will accept that I am more precise and technical about things than compared to a lot of people, but, I personally think she has a brain-block somewhere to be playing that mess and also be teaching on it. She has a much greater tolerance for inferiority in that area of her piano. I would scrap that piano in an instant! Objectively, I think anyone would advise you to get a traditional "lipped" white key piano.

STAY AWAY FROM THESE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

GreatLakes eek

Y
OP Offline
Y
Thank you GreatLakes and Christorpher...

G
G
You're welcome.

GL

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
ditto, your welcome!

Representing Yamaha, Story and Clark, and other fine instruments
Menchey Music Service
Associate Member of PTG
Serving Central Pennsylvania and the Greater Baltimore Area
G
G
It's personal preference. If you're into organ playing and want to do the cool tricks that organ players do, you need the waterfall keys.

Greg Schlaepfer
Orange Tree Samples
http://www.orangetreesamples.com
G
G
Gregjazz,

I've never played the organ nor watched anyone play it w/ attention to the detail of what they are doing w/ the keys. What "tricks" are you referring to and how do waterfall keys help?

With "waterfall" keys, in addition to what I mentioned above about expression sacrifice, I'd say my reach is two keys fewer b/c of the smaller surface area on which to strike the key. Doesn't that sacrifice in reach drive an organist nuts?

GreatLakes

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Recommended Songs for Beginners
by FreddyM - 04/16/24 03:20 PM
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,392
Posts3,349,302
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission