2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
88 members (Calavera, CodySean, clothearednincompo, anotherscott, 36251, CHEWY88, 14 invisible), 1,470 guests, and 545 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
L.C. '73- you're right about that, but I also noticed on musicians' friend that Williams models account for 3 out of the top 7 selling D.P.'s there! That has nothing to do with this forum of course, but apparently someone else out there are liking them, unless they are just buying them without having tried them first (online/phone orders etc), is what I'm thinking.

B.T.W. does anyone know the official release date for the P-155, for those who do feel it's worth waiting for?

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Originally posted by leon2245:
...but I also noticed on musicians' friend that Williams models account for 3 out of the top 7 selling D.P.'s there! That has nothing to do with this forum of course, but apparently someone else out there are liking them, unless they are just buying them without having tried them first (online/phone orders etc), is what I'm thinking.
Unfortunately, this is probably the work of uninformed parents looking for a cheap instrument for their kids to practice on. On paper, I can see how they would look good to a potential buyer. The Casio's cost more and all DP's are created equal, right? I mean they look kinda fancy... They have all 88 "weighted" keys... They have all these neat sounds included... Williams Inc must just be very generous! All I can say is I feel sorry for anyone who has ever bought a Williams online and was disappointed when it arrived.

Les C Deal

G
G
Originally posted by Gyro:
There are a lot of people
on this forum who can't play a lick and
know nothing about pianos and piano playing
and just copy the content of their posts
off of other websites.
As the old saying goes, are you the pot calling the kettle black?

8000 Post Club Member
8000 Post Club Member
if Gyro is not the dumbest piano player in the world, i would be surprised. unfortunately, he couldn't even tell much difference from one DP to another and claim all DPs are the same. right, they all have black and white keys, and at least they look all the same ha

he couldn't even tell much difference from one DP to another and claim all DPs are the same.
It would be one thing to take that position, or at least say that the differences don't matter, but simultaneously admitting ( in another thread ) to missing the "pure tone" of his 80's keyboard (I.E. a preference) is a contradiction. Then to further admit in the same thread that he bought new models in 2005, and again in 2006? Apparently there was some perceived benefit in the newer models, to justify upgrading twice in as many years. An inconsistent perspective, at best.

B
B
Originally posted by signa:
if Gyro is not the dumbest piano player in the world, i would be surprised. unfortunately, he couldn't even tell much difference from one DP to another and claim all DPs are the same. right, they all have black and white keys, and at least they look all the same ha
I doubt Gyro could tell the difference between a roll up rubber piano and a Steinway D. Of course the Williams Encore is the best piano in the world.

B
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
B
I anxiously await every new posting from GYRO.
It starts my day with a chuckle. Let's all just either enjoy or ignore.

Steinway 1905 model A, rebuild started 2008, completed 2012
Yahama CVP-401
Will somone get my wife off the Steinway so I can play it!
G
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
G
If you have space for a console-style DP (and don't need to move it to perform), than I think this is a much better choice for classical music. I generally love Roland stuff, but I didn't like the FP-4 at all. The keys seemed "shallow", so playing was like drumming on a tabletop.

I would recommend a Roland HP (HP201 or HP203). If you can't swing that, the RP101 also sounds nice to me, although the technology is older (64 note polyphony, no string resonance, etc.) The HPs also include a book of classical music that's in preset memory, so you can play along (including split parts) and practice.

To me a console just "feels" more like a piano, whereas a stage instrument feels more "electric". It doesn't have the same solidity that a real piano would have.

V
V
Originally posted by leon2245:
"is there anything special to the p155 over the p140?"

..., Advanced Wave Memory, ..., and FC4 pedal instead of FC3 (though I understand that one's actually a downgrade). ...

... but even the Casio actions felt more substantial to me. ...
What is AWM? And why does it gets you excited so much? It does not seem to be anything new to me. I'd bet that this is the marketing department that managed to spin that they compress their samples, like everybody else. But did they improve something here? What is your expectation?

You are correct that the FC4 (NOT half pedaling capable)is less capable than the FC3 (half-pedaling capable). Does Yamaha provide a 3 pedals option for the P-155? That would explain the downgrade. BTW, the FC-4 is a mechanically good quality pedal.

Don't discount Casio, they improved drastically and their DPs are no toys. So much that I decided to upgrade my Yamaha P-120 (which has the same action as the P-140 afaik) with a Casio PX-320 and I have no regrets at all. I own a very good well maintained acoustic Grand piano as well.

M
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
M
There are a few Yamahas you could try. The newest would be P155 but P140 and CP33 are both good I think.

Since you're going to be in a dorm(I assume) the CP33 doesn't have speakers but since you probably need quiet anyways just use headphones.

Roland has a couple of good choices like the FP4. Are you looking for a portable keyboard? or just one you can leave in your dorm room all the time?

What is AWM? And why does it gets you excited so much? It does not seem to be anything new to me. I'd bet that this is the marketing department that managed to spin that they compress their samples, like everybody else. But did they improve something here? What is your expectation?

You are correct that the FC4 (NOT half pedaling capable)is less capable than the FC3 (half-pedaling capable). Does Yamaha provide a 3 pedals option for the P-155? That would explain the downgrade. BTW, the FC-4 is a mechanically good quality pedal.

Don't discount Casio, they improved drastically and their DPs are no toys. So much that I decided to upgrade my Yamaha P-120 (which has the same action as the P-140 afaik) with a Casio PX-320 and I have no regrets at all. I own a very good well maintained acoustic Grand piano as well.
First, you're right- it's not new. And I further agree that all these acronyms are more marketing buzzwords than anything real, so please understand I'm not over here getting excited about "advanced WAVE memory?!" or any one of them in particular just from reading those marketing descriptions- I only wanted to know (and excitement arose from erroneously thinking I did) why/which one of those acronyms accounts for the following difference:

The P140 is otherwise perfect for me- but when I got it home, quiet with nice headphones etc, a/b'ing against the dgx630, there was no denying the DGX had a much nicer tone to my ears, sounded more like a piano to me, and didn't have any weird digital anomalies audible over particular notes as this p140 does. So as much as I liked the P-140 better in every other respect (it IS the one I kept despite the harsher tone, because I love its touch/action, dynamics, interface, features I need vs. don't, size, build quality, looks, old school led etc)- it's just a burn knowing that ironically I prefered the lower end model's tone, which is huge.

So my expectations for the P-155? I guess I would expect it to be the same great keyboard as the P-140 in all the above respects, except hopefully to also have as nice a piano tone as the newer but cheaper DGX vs. the 140. I'd even settle for just not having that weird buzz aftereffect over G4, is the main thing. It had to be right THERE. otherwise, the P140 is more than good enough for me.

So AWB, DSP, CF Sampling etc- just give me whatever makes the DGX tone sound CLEAN and put it in a 140/155. But I can't even keep them straight- because identicloak pretty much already told me that it's not AWB I seek (I didn't realize this but the p140 already HAS that technology, so that one's obviously not it), but he further suggested it might be the DSP effect I am hearing. If that is the case, the P155 won't have it either. Not that I necessarily need it, but I WOULD be willing to pay the difference if it took out that chime and/or sounded as clean as the DGX.

And yeah the pedals are no big deal, I can always just buy an FC3 if I felt the need. But like you say the FC4 is a quality pedal itself. And by the way, I've had two casios myself- an unweighted keyboard years ago, and a semi-weighted CDP only a few years ago which was not bad. I apologize for phrasing it "EVEN the casios had better action than the Williams", they were just two makes I have ruled out for this time around, considering the feel of actions yamaha and roland now offer in my price range- but that doesn't mean anything to anyone else, so I should have left casio out of my williams evaluation entirely. Thanks alot for the info & inquiry on this, and further apologies to the O.P. for taking your thread so far O.T. I just wanted to clarify.

I have been playing the piano since the '60s. In my opinion, the current digital pianos are much better than they were 20 years ago. They hammer action is more like the acoustic piano and the sound is much closer to the acoustic pianos than they previously were.

Both of these are important considerations for me because of my classical music background. Now that I no longer have privacy (I'm up before dawn and can practice while the rest of the family is sleeping) nor the ambition to move pianos upstairs, I am considering a digital piano.

Don't be discouraged - just keep looking at different stores, playing many digital pianos, then purchase the one that feels best (to you), sounds best (to you), and has the features you think you will use.

B
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
B
After reading these discussions of the Williams Encore for several months, I finally got a chance to play one today. I only used the Grand Piano 1 setting. Maybe there are other better settings, but to me it sounded very tinny and toy like. The keyboard action was extremely light, and the key depth very shallow. It seemed almost like I was playing an unweighted keyboard. My overall impression was that it was a very inferior model.

I must admit I played it along with an FP7 and a CP300, both much more expensive, but I doubt I'd like it better if I played it by itself.

Touch and sound are subjective, but personally, I was very unimpressed.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Piano World 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Pianos - Organs - & Keyboards, Oh My!
Our Fall 2021 Free Newsletter is Out , see it here!
---------------------
Selling my Hammond & Leslie!
---------------------
My first professionally recorded piece
---------------------
Visit Maine, Meet Mr. Piano World
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Korg D1 with iReal Pro
by Johnmak - 10/16/21 09:40 AM
Korg EC-310
by mandan - 10/16/21 08:35 AM
Shell voicings?
by Dantheboogieguy - 10/16/21 07:59 AM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums42
Topics209,615
Posts3,140,070
Members103,016
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | MapleStreetMusicShop.com - Our store in Cornish Maine

© copyright 1997 - 2021 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission