2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
79 members (Beansparrow, APianistHasNoName, AlphaBravoCharlie, Ampersand, Anglagard44, abwesend, Beemer, accordeur, 17 invisible), 1,449 guests, and 775 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
P
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
P
Unfortunately here at school, I don't have cable and I can't get PBS to come through with the antenna, but at least they say the DVD is going on sale on the Cliburn website on Oct. 14. Plus they now archived the finalists performances with video so you can see the performances and they improved the connection so it's really good quality now. I'll have that to sustain me until the 14th.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Here in cleveland on WVIZ it doesnt air until sunday 10/9 at 4:30pm.

Although I see on WVIZ HD, it airs a dozen times all week long. I thought I had digital cable, why do I not get WVIZ HD??

I was born the year Glenn Gould stop playing concerts. Coincidence?
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally posted by Siddhartha:
Originally posted by musdan:
[b]

I sometimes wonder how the jury/judges decide who is best, does it help if the aspiring pianist knows one of the judges? Can't hurt.

I've heard anecdotes.... and they're not pretty. There are apparently many cases of luck and politics playing the major role in who wins. By no means do I believe that all competitions are fixed. But there's plenty of stories going around suggesting some rather dubious goings on in the outcomes of some competitions.

For example, you ask if it helps to 'know' a judge? From what I've heard, sleeping with one helps a lot. a WHOLE lot. [/b]
Any competition that is subjective or has a subjective element seems open for politics, Nationalism and other shenanigans. Ice Skating, Gymnastics, Beauty Pagents, Ball Room Dancing, Dog/Cat/Horse shows. JMO

It is a sad fact that sometimes the best one out there doesn't take the prize home. Shouldn't happen that way, as the best should always be placed on top of the stand or in the ribbons. But sometimes it does happen that a lesser competitor beats out a better competitor because of corruption in reguards to judging at events where there is subjective things to score or grade.
JMO again

I have my own weapon of mass destruction in the form of a "teenage" German Shepherd. Anything she spies and can get ahold of is fair game.
8000 Post Club Member
8000 Post Club Member
It is a sad fact that sometimes the best one out there doesn't take the prize home.
...but this time the best one did take the top prize home!

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally posted by wolfindmist:
Any competition that is subjective or has a subjective element seems open for politics, Nationalism and other shenanigans. Ice Skating, Gymnastics, Beauty Pagents, Ball Room Dancing, Dog/Cat/Horse shows. JMO

It is a sad fact that sometimes the best one out there doesn't take the prize home. Shouldn't happen that way, as the best should always be placed on top of the stand or in the ribbons. But sometimes it does happen that a lesser competitor beats out a better competitor because of corruption in reguards to judging at events where there is subjective things to score or grade.
JMO again
I didnt attend, but the 2003 Cleveland Competition produced a winner so unluckly that even the local paper's write up couldnt help but remark about it being a suspicious choice. Everything I read about that competition mentions that the winner has his work cut out for him in proving himself, because he was just so clearly out played by his peers during the event. Many eyebrows were raised.

Again, I didnt attend, so I cant comment first hand. But there seemed to be much embarasssment over that decision.

But you are correct. Human bias is unavoidable with the slightest subjective element. And anytime you put more than two people together on a task, you have politics. How frustrating that peoples careers are made or broken based on something so arbitrary.

I was born the year Glenn Gould stop playing concerts. Coincidence?
A
A
I'm watching it now!

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
I really don't care who wins. laugh
They're all great pianists.

JOHN
OP Offline
I am watching too. Big Fun!!!

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Just watched the competition on PBS channel 13 - wish it had been longer.

I agree, they are all winners and I hope they have successful careers. smile

Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
the film of the 2001 was better for me.. loved seeing Olga Kern..

I'm filled with a great sadness... without the chance to EVER be up on that stage with an orchestra.. frown

accompanist/organist.. a non-MTNA teacher to a few

love and peace, Õun (apple in Estonian)
B
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
B
<font size="+30" color = "red">COULD JOYCE YANG BE ANY MORE VAPID??????</FONT>

HAHA bitter?

To be a real philosopher all that
is necessary is to hate some one
else's type of thinking- William James
B
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
B
"So the Takacs quartet called and they...like...uh...want me to play on their concerts...so...uh...I guess I have to play Schumann really well...or something!"

A
A
I liked Yang.
She seemed so unpretentious.
If I were expressing my unbridled excitement to a relative on the phone (as Yang seemd to be doing) I doubt I'd be uttering anything particularly profound.

I came away liking Mazo as well. She comes off as a musician not a show[wo]man. Cabassi was really down to earth as well.

Of those featured heavily, Kobrin was the only one that appeared rather frigid.

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Originally posted by Brendan:
"So the Takacs quartet called and they...like...uh...want me to play on their concerts...so...uh...I guess I have to play Schumann really well...or something!"
Give her a break, she's 19 and just got the Silver in one of the world's biggest competitions. Wouldn't you be a little slap-happy? (And besides, she's cute! 3hearts )

While I'm here, I suppose I could post my thoughts on the documentary: I liked it quite a lot, even though it was so very different from the 2001 documentary that I've treasured for so long. This filmmaker seemed more into "getting inside" the artists' minds, finding out what they think about their craft, how they react to their fame, etc. "Playing on the Edge" focused more on the excitement/suspense of competition; almost a high brow reality show setting. wink I was very happy that they put in the conversation between Mr. Pressler and the young pianist-Pressler teaches at my school and I have always found his insight (in public speeches, etc, I don't study with him) to be deeply thought-provoking, even moving.

My 2.8 cents.

I watched it last night on PBS from NY. I liked Cabassi best although it might have been because of the pieces he played.

Kobrin seemed to lack great emotion to me.

I taped it and I'll have to watch it again to see if I come to the same conclusions.

Question: How does one get into this competition? Are you invited? Do you "try-out"?

PS It's poor that these guys smoke!

"Applaud friends, the comedy is over." --Ludwig van Beethoven on his deathbed.
August Förster 190 Artcase
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
As far as I could tell, the only airing time for this show on the Topeka PBS station ( and the Kansas City PBS station is BLOCKED from Topeka cable viewers ) was at 3:00 AM CST Wednesday morning. (about 8 hours ago). I had to stay up to watch it cause my VCR ate and digested the tape I was going to record it on. (Then it crapped out completely) Enjoyed the show, but I'm probably not going to enjoy the rest of the day.

I still think O.J. did it. ( that's what was on earlier in the PBS evening. ) Also watched (at 2:00 AM) the Nova program about that huge Japanese battleship that US planes sank in near the end of W.W.II. Each gun turret weighed 3 THOUSAND TONS! If a typical semitrailer can hold 20 tons, it would take 150 trucks to support that load!!

I think I'll go take a nap at lunchtime. smile

Apple, I'm going to send you a PM. It won't SAY anything of importance, but see if you receive it, and then send something equally vapid ( thanks, Brendan, I hadn't thought of that word for a long time . .. not since the last time we spoke, as a matter of fact. :p )... back to my PW PM box so I can see if its still working. All my PM's got cleared out somehow , and I just want to check its current functionality. smile Thanks.

(If you want, I can just write the vapid phrase and you can just cut and paste it for the return trip. Here's my cell-phone number, so you can call me to discus this choice ... 911-911-9111. ) Talk to you soon! laugh :rolleyes:

Bob

8000 Post Club Member
8000 Post Club Member
Kobrin doesn't need to show all those faces as LL to play music well and convey the emotions going with it. 'lack of emotion'? who want to see anybody looking like LL on stage all the time? give me a break... it's a piano compitition not a personality contest.

- wondering if I too am vapid

accompanist/organist.. a non-MTNA teacher to a few

love and peace, Õun (apple in Estonian)
N
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
N
Originally posted by signa:
Kobrin doesn't need to show all those faces as LL to play music well and convey the emotions going with it. 'lack of emotion'? who want to see anybody looking like LL on stage all the time? give me a break... it's a piano compitition not a personality contest.
Leave LL out of this ....

Comparing Kobrin with LL? Truly laughable ... Winning a competition proves what???

You guys think you can trash LL any chance you have????

--------------------------

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Brendan, Kreisler 

Link Copied to Clipboard
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Starting to learn play piano by scores
by Patrick Hasselbank - 08/04/21 04:47 AM
How to fix Score Errors In Piano Marvel?
by rwang101 - 08/03/21 10:55 PM
In the hunt for first grand piano
by WinstonSmith - 08/03/21 10:44 PM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums42
Topics208,365
Posts3,119,058
Members102,317
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | MapleStreetMusicShop.com - Our store in Cornish Maine

© copyright 1997 - 2021 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission