2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Advanced Piano Tricks
Advanced Piano Tricks
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
106 members (alohamusicfan, Ajax69, Abdol, 13bwl, anamnesis, accordeur, Alex Hutor, An Old Square, 20 invisible), 1,504 guests, and 466 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
A
OP Offline
A
Could this be the "world's largest" collection of classical sheet music?
It took me less than a minute to find a rare Bortkiewicz work that other places haven't even heard about! Has anyone tried buying music from this site? Cause I think I will soon!

Imagination is more powerful than knowledge.
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
What site? You've left us no idea of what you're talking about.

Amateur Pianist, Scriabin Enthusiast, and Octave Demon
C
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
C
absent-minded indeed haha

"I was obliged to be industrious. Whoever is equally industrious will succeed equally well."

J.S. Bach
A
OP Offline
A
Oops, sorry...I was so excited about finding that Bortkiewicz gem that I forgot....
Here's the site:

http://everynote.intissite.com/

Imagination is more powerful than knowledge.
Gold Subscriber
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Gold Subscriber
The print on a few of the opera offerings is bad, indeed, and look to be from 19th century editions!

Regards,

BruceD
- - - - -
Estonia 190
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Ok!

sorry for this but:

I just saw Prokofiev Sonata No.2 (D minor, nice one laugh )

The first page looks like a scanned page from a book, or even worst from a photocopy of a book.

Now, my hunch is that these files are scanned from PUBLIC DOMAIN books (out of copyright anyway), which also explains the lack of any contemporary composer really and they are taking advantage of ill informed people!

THESE scores, probably all of them, could be found free in ISMLP (when it was online) and it will be back.

Taking a score, scanning it and selling it is disshonest at best, awful and bad practice in my books.

That is unless my assumption that they indeed got the scores and scanned then, or got them ready made!

EDIT: I think I am right!

No scores from Ligeti, Messiaen, Shostakovich, Shcnittke. I REALLY don't like that site! frown

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
I agree, it's a very poor site. They actually have an extremely limited amount of Bortkiewicz's music, not to mention Alkan and some of the others I bothered to look at (not to brag, but I personally have the majority of Bortkiewicz's music in print, and a fair amount of Alkan's). Plus I think Nikolas is right, as well. I generally avoid anything that charges money for *downloads*, not even considering whether or not it's legal (iTunes is one exception).

W
wr Offline
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
W
I'm not sure what is going on with them these days, but at one time, they were encouraging uploads from users in exchange for credit towards downloads. That might account for some variability in quality, although it doesn't let them off the hook for controlling it. But I'd guess the free download sites have pretty much shot their business plan down.

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
In all honesty, I will check with people I know in IMSLP. I have a hunch that they (the people we're talking about here), might have taken pdf files from there and started charging for them... frown

W
wr Offline
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
W
Originally posted by Nikolas:
In all honesty, I will check with people I know in IMSLP. I have a hunch that they (the people we're talking about here), might have taken pdf files from there and started charging for them... frown
Could be. My memory (which is shaky, for sure) seems to be that this site appeared before IMSLP did, though. It seems unlikely that this site would attract users, outside of a few scattered accidental ones, once IMSLP was up and running, if the scores were the same.

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Fair enough... Especially if the site appeared before IMSLP (which is relatively new if you think about it).

The site seems fine to me. And keep in mind, you're not just paying for the download, you're paying for someone to find the music and scan it as well. For people who don't have access to a library or a scanner, that may very well be worth $1.99

I used the site once because I had limited time to learn a piece. My library didn't have it, ILL was too slow, nobody in town had a copy, and ordering it would've taken several days. (And IMSLP didn't have it, either...)

I should say that I am one of those people who believes information wants to be free, but I'm smart enough to know that server space and the technology for information delivery still costs money! laugh

"If we continually try to force a child to do what he is afraid to do, he will become more timid, and will use his brains and energy, not to explore the unknown, but to find ways to avoid the pressures we put on him." (John Holt)

www.pianoped.com
www.youtube.com/user/UIPianoPed
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Actually this site is quite good in terms of rare works for many composers. I spent about 5 years looking for the sheet music to Bach's concerto BWV 979. Finding a recording of it is next to impossible let alone the sheet music, yet I found a perfect quality pdf copy if it on this site.

**edit** Dear LORD!!! I just found a solo piano transcription of Chopin's Krakowiak on this site. Years of searching!!! AAAAAAHHHHHHH!!! Krakowiak op.14 WOOOOW!!!

"A Sorceror of tonality; the piano is my cauldron and the music is my spell, let those who cannot hear my calling die and burn in He11."

Check my videos @:
http://www.youtube.com/user/chopinlives81
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Originally posted by Kreisler:
The site seems fine to me. And keep in mind, you're not just paying for the download, you're paying for someone to find the music and scan it as well. For people who don't have access to a library or a scanner, that may very well be worth $1.99
hmmm...

Having a book from you grandparents, or borrowing one from your local library and scanning it = $2?

[/quote]I used the site once because I had limited time to learn a piece. My library didn't have it, ILL was too slow, nobody in town had a copy, and ordering it would've taken several days. (And IMSLP didn't have it, either...)[/quote]
This makes sense. The "I have to do something fast", is a clause that nobody can deny. smile

but

[/qb]I should say that I am one of those people who believes information wants to be free, but I'm smart enough to know that server space and the technology for information delivery still costs money! laugh [/QB]
And somehow other sites, and big sites manage to give scores for free.

double hmmm...

and you can't deny that IMSLP (for example) was getting huge traffic per day, not to mention per month. and yet it had no limits (2 scores per day, or simmilar), no payments involved, nothing. sure it didn't have anything but that's besides the point!

Since the site we're talking about ONLY has copyright free works, it does seem that they are trying to get going and make money out of no expense.

But I'm not smart enough to know that "unlimited" webspace and "unlimited" traffic per month all comes for the huge amount of.... $6.95 per month! It surely is hugely costly, I agree! laugh (info taken from bluehost, without this post being a spam to help it by any means).

I won't dissagree that there is effort, and of course, taking care the quality is also something that takes effort and time.

But it does bother me that something which has run OUT of copyrights and holds NO value, since it's public domain, is being SOLD! PD belong to the world. And I really don't see why this site is charging $2-$3 per score, while others equally big are/were free.

4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
I honestly don't see the big deal. If the price is right for a rare score you need, then buy it on that site. If you don't agree with the price, then try to get the rare score somewhere else.

C
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
C

But it does bother me that something which has run OUT of copyrights and holds NO value, since it's public domain, is being SOLD! PD belong to the world. And I really don't see why this site is charging $2-$3 per score, while others equally big are/were free.
Does it bother you that water is sold? You could go down to any sanitary enough river and have a free drink just as you could go to the library and get a free score. However, you pay for the convenience of having water delivered right to your home whether through bottled water or the tap. Similarly, people that use this website are paying for a free resource delivered instantly to their home.

After all, $1.99 is far cheaper than gas for me if I were to drive to the library.

R
R
Originally posted by computerpro3:

Does it bother you that water is sold? You could go down to any sanitary enough river and have a free drink just as you could go to the library and get a free score.
The difference here is that each water bottle sold has to be bottled and delivered. There is a production cost for each sold unit. Same with tap water, it has to be cleaned and delivered to your home through a system that requires lots of maintenance. PDF sheet music is scanned (or copied from another site) once, then it can be sold over the internet unlimited times.

I looked at the first page of a few scores. They all have a copyright notice saying something like "©2003 EveryNote Corp.", even though the scores are clearly scanned from already existing editions. That alone is enough for me to avoid the site. I don't like people trying to claim copyright to something that they do not have any rights to.

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Originally posted by computerpro3:

Does it bother you that water is sold? You could go down to any sanitary enough river and have a free drink just as you could go to the library and get a free score. However, you pay for the convenience of having water delivered right to your home whether through bottled water or the tap. Similarly, people that use this website are paying for a free resource delivered instantly to their home.

After all, $1.99 is far cheaper than gas for me if I were to drive to the library.
Are you truly comparing water ( = pipes of 100s if not 1000s of miles, cleaning, tanks, plumbers in every home, bottling facilities, trucks, etc) and a site on the internet ( = server, which I just gave you cost above and you didn't seem to notice, security of payment (which could very well be linked to paypal and cost nothing, but minus a.. .10%, let's say, from the price, and scanned PDF files, which came either from old old books, so old which are out of copyright and PD, and thus probably DON'T belong to them but a library, or something ( + the effort of taking a book from a library, which is HUGE hussle for me, who I'm a student and live next door to the library, which also has, what else, a scanner, or books from their grandparents or something, or exchange from interested customers)?

Rare scores are fine, I don't dispute that. It's great to find a rare score. The rest of the scores is what bothers me.

And, yes, what Roger says. Claiming copyrights on a PDF simply scanned from a book, is a tiny bit illegal.

C
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
C
The difference here is that each water bottle sold has to be bottled and delivered. There is a production cost for each sold unit. Same with tap water, it has to be cleaned and delivered to your home through a system that requires lots of maintenance.
There is a production cost for this website too - not only bandwidth, but labor and time. Would you want to sit there scanning all of that music in?

Further, you seem to be arguing that the production cost is supposed to be propotionally tied to the final sale cost. This obviously isn't true in a capitalistic society - do designer jeans cost 20x as much to make as a pair from wal-mart? Of course not. However, people buy them. If the market supports an asking price, all the more power to the person making obscene profits.

PDF sheet music is scanned (or copied from another site) once, then it can be sold over the internet unlimited times.
.....music is recorded once and then can be sold over the internet unlimited times too, what is your point? Surely you are not saying that it is wrong if you make money on something for a long period of time while only investing the production cost in it once? That is the very best kind of business practice that exists!

I looked at the first page of a few scores. They all have a copyright notice saying something like "©2003 EveryNote Corp.", even though the scores are clearly scanned from already existing editions. That alone is enough for me to avoid the site. I don't like people trying to claim copyright to something that they do not have any rights to. [/QB]
This is a legitimate issue.

Are you truly comparing water ( = pipes of 100s if not 1000s of miles, cleaning, tanks, plumbers in every home, bottling facilities, trucks, etc) and a site on the internet ( = server, which I just gave you cost above and you didn't seem to notice, security of payment (which could very well be linked to paypal and cost nothing, but minus a.. .10%, let's say, from the price, and scanned PDF files, which came either from old old books, so old which are out of copyright and PD, and thus probably DON'T belong to them but a library, or something ( + the effort of taking a book from a library, which is HUGE hussle for me, who I'm a student and live next door to the library, which also has, what else, a scanner, or books from their grandparents or something, or exchange from interested customers)?
And are you truly insinuating that time has no economic value?

Besides, it doesn't matter in the slightest what the production cost or the profit margin is.

What many seem to be arguing is that they don't think the price is "fair". Who cares? The company has the right to charge whatever they want and if people buy it than all the more power to them. Many people don't think the pricing of an audi is "fair" either, but that doesn't stop audi owners from enjoying them.

J
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
J
Why bother to download unless your in a pinch. $20.00 or less you can purchase a CD of many of these works from CD Sheet Music. These are the same scores found on this site. This is where I got much of my Rachmaninoff and all of my Brahms.

John

Current works in progress:

Beethoven Sonata Op. 10 No. 2 in F, Haydn Sonata Hoboken XVI:41, Bach French Suite No. 5 in G BWV 816

Current instruments: Schimmel-Vogel 177T grand, Roland LX-17 digital, and John Lyon unfretted Saxon clavichord.

Moderated by  Brendan, Kreisler 

Link Copied to Clipboard
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
removing a key from a grand
by johnfin - 01/23/22 03:27 PM
Dexibel H10, está infravalorado este piano?
by Franlober - 01/23/22 02:33 PM
time signatures - every day (non musical) life example?
by ShowerCurtain465 - 01/23/22 12:04 PM
One sour bass note
by benz-tech - 01/23/22 11:04 AM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums42
Topics211,316
Posts3,163,388
Members104,130
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | MapleStreetMusicShop.com - Our store in Cornish Maine

© copyright 1997 - 2022 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission