2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
60 members (Carey, beeboss, Chris B, Cheeeeee, CharlesXX, Aleks_MG, accordeur, brdwyguy, 11 invisible), 1,910 guests, and 299 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
K
knopik Offline OP
OP Offline
K
Hello,

Feeling weird to put myself out there like this but just want some feedback.

A little about me, been playing since I was 9 or so, never professionally or in music school, just taking private lessons the whole time.
Just recently got a new (used) piano and then some microphones in order to try and record myself.

I know the high end is a little more prominent in these recordings, I think I gotta work on my mic placement.

Gear:
2 Omni1 mics from Line Audio
Audient ID14 mk2 interface
Olympus EM10 Mk2 camera with the 25mm 1.8 olympus lens.
Audacity for post

Bach and Chopin

Thank you!!

M
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
M
You play very well. Thanks for sharing, and welcome to the forum. As for the "mic placement" you said you think you need to work on, have you tried an ORTF microphone configuration about 30 cm above the middle of the soundboard, with Mic 1 routed to the left ear and Mic 2 to the right? (The sound quality is not nearly as nice if you let the digital audio workstation blend the two channels into one mono channel. Gotta keep 'em separated.) ORTF configurations are discussed about halfway down this excellent article on stereo recording techniques and setups (thanks Hakki):

https://www.dpamicrophones.com/mic-university/stereo-recording-techniques-and-setups

I've found that the ORTF configuration makes the recording sound as if the listener is at the keyboard with you. This handy microphone stereo bar makes setting up ORTF and other stereo microphone configurations easy (the mic clips shown don't come with it, but hopefully you already have those):

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00JR2DDW4

The video I posted just below yours on the subforum list shows an ORTF setup in action. You can hear the bass more in the left ear and the treble more in the right.

Seiler SE-186
M
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
M
^ Correction: I see you have omni not cardioid microphones, so I don't believe ORTF will work. There is the AB stereo setup, however, in the above-linked article.

Seiler SE-186
M
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
M
^ I would also try the AB stereo setup 30 cm over and pointed toward the middle of the soundboard, with Mic 1 closer to the base, routed to the left ear, and Mic 2 closer to the treble, routed to the right ear.

Seiler SE-186
K
knopik Offline OP
OP Offline
K
Originally Posted by MrSh4nkly
^ I would also try the AB stereo setup 30 cm over and pointed toward the middle of the soundboard, with Mic 1 closer to the base, routed to the left ear, and Mic 2 closer to the treble, routed to the right ear.

Hi! Thanks for the feedback!

My setup was around 5.5-6ft away from the piano to the side, and about 180cm in the air. Microphones are about 25-30 cm apart. I referenced the diagram posted here a lot, this one here
this one here:
[Linked Image]

My current mic stand prevents the full 18 inches apart, so they're quite close together...I'll have to think of some way of jerry rigging something to hold them apart, maybe a different spacer.

Thanks for the feedback! I appreciate it!

M
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
M
You're welcome. Something like what this young lady did, for example:

Seiler SE-186
S
spk Online Happy
Online Happy
S
Didn’t listen to the Chopin, but nice work on the Bach!

I am working on that one as well.

K
knopik Offline OP
OP Offline
K
Originally Posted by spk
Didn’t listen to the Chopin, but nice work on the Bach!

I am working on that one as well.

Thank you! It's a fun one...triple voice, triple theme...probably one of my favorite fugues.

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
I love almost everything about this performance, especially the Bach, which I think is exquisite. It's interesting to me that I was so convinced by your interpretations of the prelude and fugue respectively, because I approach them very differently. I like to really drive the prelude along with a fairly aggressive tempo and spiky articulation, whereas the fugue I tend to think of as more melancholy and brooding--slower too. However, your versions make perfect sense, particularly the fugue which builds beautifully as the new subjects appear. Great control and very nice tone throughout. I thoroughly enjoyed it.

I liked the Chopin too, though I think the middle section could go slower and you need a more supple and linear legato in the RH octaves. Also, the transition back to the double octaves I think should be more gradual--a curve rather than a leap. Other than that, terrific! The apotheosis (il piu forte possibile) could possibly have been a tad more dramatic, but I still found it satisfying.

Well done indeed!

SRF
K
knopik Offline OP
OP Offline
K
Originally Posted by SiFi
I love almost everything about this performance, especially the Bach, which I think is exquisite. It's interesting to me that I was so convinced by your interpretations of the prelude and fugue respectively, because I approach them very differently. I like to really drive the prelude along with a fairly aggressive tempo and spiky articulation, whereas the fugue I tend to think of as more melancholy and brooding--slower too. However, your versions make perfect sense, particularly the fugue which builds beautifully as the new subjects appear. Great control and very nice tone throughout. I thoroughly enjoyed it.

I liked the Chopin too, though I think the middle section could go slower and you need a more supple and linear legato in the RH octaves. Also, the transition back to the double octaves I think should be more gradual--a curve rather than a leap. Other than that, terrific! The apotheosis (il piu forte possibile) could possibly have been a tad more dramatic, but I still found it satisfying.

Well done indeed!

Thank you, SiFi! Such kind words on the Bach, I really appreciate it!!!

I'll take the feedback on the Chopin too! I also thought the middle section was a bit...clinical? sterile?

Thank you again! I'll work on it!

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Recommended Songs for Beginners
by FreddyM - 04/16/24 03:20 PM
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,392
Posts3,349,302
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission