2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
71 members (anotherscott, Aaron McKeon, AB99, Animisha, Belger1900, ChickenBrother, Carey, 15 invisible), 654 guests, and 272 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
B
babama Offline OP
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
B
I recently upgraded from Lite to Full version and I'm enjoying it a lot.

I have some questions meant for discussion with other enthusiasts of this beautiful piano VST.
I'm trying to find the optimal settings by trial and error, but perhaps I can save some time by applying settings that work well for other people, so any input is appreciated, thanks!

- What are your favorite mic positions? Do you prefer to use one or two (or even more) mic positions and why?

- What's your favorite combination of mic positions?
I have the additional Room and Hammer mic positions myself, they sound great, I especially like the Hammer and I thought these two would make a good combination for having a different and sort of supplementary character. For example, the Main and Close mics probably sound too similar to each other to make a good combination.

- Is there any particular combination of settings, such as the volume balance between the two, that works well for you when using two mic positions?

- From a technical viewpoint: Aren't there phasing issues when combining two (or more) mic positions? And if so, how can this be prevented (as much as reasonably possible)?
Something seems a little bit off to me when combining two mics.

- Do you use an external EQ and how do you prefer to set the EQ (roughly)?

- The Embertone runs quite well on my system, even when loading two mics. I do need to set a barely acceptable latency for it to run stable. The only real problem I have is I get massive CPU spikes when releasing the sustain pedal after playing many sustained notes/chords. Anything I can do to prevent these CPU spikes?

S
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
S
Originally Posted by babama
I recently upgraded from Lite to Full version and I'm enjoying it a lot.

I have some questions meant for discussion with other enthusiasts of this beautiful piano VST.
I'm trying to find the optimal settings by trial and error, but perhaps I can save some time by applying settings that work well for other people, so any input is appreciated, thanks!

- What are your favorite mic positions? Do you prefer to use one or two (or even more) mic positions and why?

- What's your favorite combination of mic positions?
I have the additional Room and Hammer mic positions myself, they sound great, I especially like the Hammer and I thought these two would make a good combination for having a different and sort of supplementary character. For example, the Main and Close mics probably sound too similar to each other to make a good combination.

- Is there any particular combination of settings, such as the volume balance between the two, that works well for you when using two mic positions?

- From a technical viewpoint: Aren't there phasing issues when combining two (or more) mic positions? And if so, how can this be prevented (as much as reasonably possible)?
Something seems a little bit off to me when combining two mics.

- Do you use an external EQ and how do you prefer to set the EQ (roughly)?

- The Embertone runs quite well on my system, even when loading two mics. I do need to set a barely acceptable latency for it to run stable. The only real problem I have is I get massive CPU spikes when releasing the sustain pedal after playing many sustained notes/chords. Anything I can do to prevent these CPU spikes?

I mostly use only room microphone with external reverb and nothing more. Adding a hammer microphone is a good option though. Main and close microphones are also a good combination. Binaural is also excellent in the solo version. There's not much you can do when it comes to the CPU. Reducing the number of voices, eco on half pedal and only sustain button leave it on. Mostly that's what helps a little. There are more tips on the VI forum under the hood, but I haven't noticed any improvements so if you want to have a look and try it. From what I've noticed, people using a Mac computer have fewer problems.

Online Content
I love Emberton Walker. I use the close mic exclusively. I find that the mics do not mix well because of phasing issues. I use a little external reverb and eq to suit my room. I sometimes play only the sustain samples or only the regular audio nes. It’s so resonant (great!) that pedal down can be too much, depends on ghe piece and how good at pedal you are.

Re performance: set Kontakt -> preferences -> engine -> CPU overload protection to Disabled. Then play tons of voices till you max out (1 core of) your CPU and you hear crackles. Eyeball the number of voices. Then set the max number of voices below that number. Now it doesn't overload, and Kontakt will kill the correct / oldest voices and it plays fine. Eco mode is less vulnerable to this problem, but if you setup as I described even the HQ+, sustain samples, it all works fine.

For Walker fans I also recommend Pearl Concert Grand and Fluffy My Piano.

Adult beginner. Roland FP90X, Embertone Walker, Pearl Concert, Pianoteq, etc.
M
M
I too am very fond of the sound of Embertone Walker. So good I disregard the average playability. I also use close mike only. High eq 2:00 mid eq 11:58 low eq 12:02 see not much. I use the 2 different velocity maps set at left side 0% right side 100% with no dark showing underneath them plus I use the Kontakt velocity map in KSP-factory-transform-linear at -7. I don't use Walker reverb at all I use the Acon Digital Verberate Basic 2 it's wonderful and it's free but you need a vst host to do that. Also I only run 256 voices and sounds fine to me. Good luck with it! MooganDavid

Last edited by MooganDavid; 07/07/22 05:09 PM.

Rme BabyFace Pro, Dynaudio BM6-ll, Garritan CFX Full, Vienna Imperial, Truekeys American Grand, Modern U, Cantabile Solo 2, Hauptwerk Pipe Organ Vst, VB3 Hammond Vst and SPIN Leslie Vst, Yamaha CP33 and Novation Impulse 61
C
C
I agree with the detailed posts above. The Steinway piano used is so resonant and well captured, that layering mics only tends to muddy the sound for me, and also present some phasing in certain regions/velocities. My favourites are the Hammer mics for a present, immediate tone, the Wide mics for a more "panoramic" image of the piano, and the Binaural which takes in some of the space the piano was captured in, but with a connection to a piano-in-front-of-you feeling. I leave the "sweetening" adjustments alone in the GUI, and give a slight very bump on the mid EQ dial. Apart from that, some external reverb to taste depending on the track, and a very subtle compressor & limiter down stream to help bring out the fullness & level.

Last edited by Craig Richards; 07/08/22 01:18 AM.

Pianist, Composer & Arranger
B
babama Offline OP
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
B
Thanks for the replies!

After testing some more, I also think that layering mics is not the way to go and I agree with Craig Richards on this.
I prefer the Hammer mic so far.
As for the sweetening options, the saturation is OK, but certainly not the other ones.
I also use an external reverb and EQ. I boost the lower and upper frequences just a little bit (low shelf below 150 Hz and high shelf above 3 kHz, about +0.5 dB each) .
Disabling sustain samples is a good idea for certain pieces/music as the sustain is really strong indeed.

The CPU trick also seemed to work. I disabled multi processor in Kontakt Player and checked when the CPU overloaded. Then I set the number of voices to 160 (not so much, but it works), enabled multi processor support again and the overload problem was pretty much gone.

Last edited by babama; 07/08/22 03:03 PM.

Moderated by  Piano World 

Link Copied to Clipboard
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
Piano Buyer - Read the Articles, Explore the website
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
FOLDABLE PIANO 2022
by Skyscrapersax - 08/15/22 02:22 PM
These cool lights: DIY or equipment to buy somewhere?
by PianoStartsAt33 - 08/15/22 12:58 PM
Expression pedal for Yamaha P125
by Gary L - 08/15/22 12:54 PM
Is this too much to ask?
by Animisha - 08/15/22 10:51 AM
Is this too much to ask?
by Animisha - 08/15/22 08:31 AM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
What's Hot!!
FREE June Newsletter is Here!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
-------------------
Music Store Going Out of Business Sale!
---------------------
Mr. PianoWorld's Original Composition
---------------------
Sell Your Piano on our world famous Piano Forums!
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics214,411
Posts3,216,532
Members106,089
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | MapleStreetMusicShop.com - Our store in Cornish Maine

© copyright 1997 - 2022 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission