2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
62 members (antune, Carey, ambrozy, Appalachian, Andrew E., 14 invisible), 963 guests, and 326 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
S
OP Offline
S
https://www.kijiji.ca/v-piano-keybo...00-almost-new-made-in-germany/1623800506

A friend is looking for piano at this price range (Canadian dollar), and I found this.
But the cast plate looks different from the Labau version.
Also the seller told me its about 70 inch long, which isn't exactly 170..

PLEYEL P124
G
7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
G
Also, it looks like the strings are looped and not individually hitched?

Are you thinking this is likely a Czech/Petrof version of the Forster?

Bosendorfer D214VC ENPro
Past: Yamaha P-85, P-105, CP50, Kawai MP11, Kawai NV-10
S
OP Offline
S
Yes..otherwise the price could be too good to be true.
I didn’t know the czech Forster is made by Petrof. Is it mean it’s the same quality as petrof? (I’m not big fan of petrof but they are not bad either)

PLEYEL P124
J
4000 Post Club Member
Online Content
4000 Post Club Member
J
That's a Petrof badged as Forster. The sound holes on the German Forster are all open. Do a quick google search and look up Weinbach and Petrof pianos from the same period.

To call it almost new is a bit of a stretch since it is over 25 years old, and the price seems to be fairly high. These pianos have older Czech built actions and they're frankly not very good. They can be sluggish and heavy, and they're not comparable to any new pianos being built today.

They can sound very nice, they have a good scale design, and they're fairly solid instruments, but they're awkward in many ways. The piano will probably need a lot of regulation and voicing to bring it to a good standard if this hasn't been done already so when thinking about the price, if your friend is set on that piano, think about the work that might need to be done to it. If the piano was around 8000 CAD it would be more realistic, but I don't know the Canadian market and I'm kind of pulling that figure from UK prices converted to CAD.

YAMAHA Artist
S
OP Offline
S
Originally Posted by Joseph Fleetwood
That's a Petrof badged as Forster. The sound holes on the German Forster are all open. Do a quick google search and look up Weinbach and Petrof pianos from the same period.

To call it almost new is a bit of a stretch since it is over 25 years old, and the price seems to be fairly high. These pianos have older Czech built actions and they're frankly not very good. They can be sluggish and heavy, and they're not comparable to any new pianos being built today.

They can sound very nice, they have a good scale design, and they're fairly solid instruments, but they're awkward in many ways. The piano will probably need a lot of regulation and voicing to bring it to a good standard if this hasn't been done already so when thinking about the price, if your friend is set on that piano, think about the work that might need to be done to it. If the piano was around 8000 CAD it would be more realistic, but I don't know the Canadian market and I'm kind of pulling that figure from UK prices converted to CAD.

Thank you! I'll give it a pass then. I have only played a few Petrof upright from 1990s was not impressed.

PLEYEL P124
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Joseph Fleetwood

+1. It's not a Förster from Löbau.

August Förster 215

Moderated by  Ken Knapp, Piano World 

Link Copied to Clipboard
(ad)
Piano Buying Guide
The Definitive Piano Buying Guide
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Practicing is Fun!
by malkin - 08/19/22 05:52 PM
Trade-in question
by RealPlayer - 08/19/22 03:09 PM
Kawai CA-67 (used) vs CA-49?
by JasonD - 08/19/22 02:47 PM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
What's Hot!!
FREE June Newsletter is Here!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
-------------------
Music Store Going Out of Business Sale!
---------------------
Mr. PianoWorld's Original Composition
---------------------
Sell Your Piano on our world famous Piano Forums!
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics214,471
Posts3,217,640
Members106,122
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | MapleStreetMusicShop.com - Our store in Cornish Maine

© copyright 1997 - 2022 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission