2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
43 members (Carey, AndrewJCW, David Boyce, CharlesXX, Adem, CasualPianist123, 16 invisible), 378 guests, and 251 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#3221374 06/03/22 12:54 AM
S
OP Offline
S
And another Kawai!

So my story is, I was looking for a piano for an apartment, so the volume generated was a concern. I grew up learning on acoustic pianos, and though I considered digital pianos, digital hybrids and acoustics with practice pedals, for me *and speaking strictly for me, the touch I was looking for, and my budget* only the NV5s/NV10s or the Yamaha silent system offered real competition to the Kawai K200-ATX4...and at that price, I had no doubt I wanted acoustic to be part of the picture.

Delivery was incredibly easy and fast--I had a list of things to check/review upon delivery, but it all happened so fast I barely had time to look for them. I live in a building with an accessible entrance and an elevator that is apparently big enough to fit a piano without even flipping or turning it.

So, it was over in a flash.

[Linked Image]

There was an inspection crew.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

As for a review of the piano, my thoughts will surely continue to develop over the next few months...but here's what I can offer for now:

1. I love the smell of wood in this new piano, and all its moving parts are fascinating. This is the second time I get a new piano--the first time, I was 5 years old and didn't get to take a look at mechanism. Not sure why; now I think every kid who plays the piano should be shown it. It's just so cool how this "machine" works.

2. I wasn't sure how loud it was going to be in my space (as yet untreated acoustically, except for the floor under the piano, on which I put several layers of flooring/rubber/rug pad/rug). Yes, the full acoustic is too loud, but not hopelessly so; there are good possibilities for occasional use with further soundproofing. And, best of all, the practice pedal is really good! It quietens the sound to the point that couldn't really hear it when I was talking with my family at the same time (and no, we were not shouting). That was a very pleasant surprise, and I would definitely be comfortable playing with the practice pedal during daytime/activity hours. And it's not the same, but still musically satisfying. (the Yamaha B2 with silent system, by the way, did not come with a practice pedal. The dealer offered to add it, though. In the K200 though, it is native.)

3. Still, I'm glad I have the ATX-4 silencing option so that I can play stress-free. The sound options in it are really good, the default SK-EX grand option sounds beautiful to my ears. The only thing at first was that the tone in the C3-C4 range in the default setting seemed too bright/piercing, but I've been able to adjust it with the app and thus it shall remain (I do like warmer/mellower tones). I do love how easy it is to use the tone features, the metronome and recording in it. But I haven't fully explored all the exporting options.

4. My biggest disapointment is that alas, my Bose speaker does not work with it. Somehow they are not discovering each other with bluetooth (which certainly work separately, as they can pair with my other mobile devices), and there is an audio cable out that I can use to connect my speaker but it results in a very inferior, thin sound that I would rather not hear. It almost made me think that they did this on purpose to sell the AURES system, but I'm sure that's not the case--it just must be more involved to make a good sound come out. If there are prospective buyers, for whom this is an option, I would recommend seriously considering whether they would prefer an AURES (that has internal speakers, using the soundboard itself to amplify, from what I gather) over an ATX4 for this reason. It depends on your needs, but for many it won't be a trivial question.

5. The touch is deeper and harder than in the hapless unweighted keyboard it replaces, of course. It will take me a good while to get used to it, I already saw that I will need to work a lot on my touch and control to make it sound the way I want to, that I have relearn how to use the sustain pedal, and that I need a different attack on the trills. But, I'm trying very hard to limit myself to a not excessive time each day, to avoid injuries. But still, overall, I did better than I expected after 28 years away from a piano! (My expectations were very low.)

6. I have no idea, though, how I would record out of this thing. It has a record function in the app, and also I can use its output options to record with my mac, but what if I wanted video? Do I have to record video on a camera/phone and replace the audio with what I record directly? It sounds like a fun project, but I don't have a ton of time right now to investigate due to work so I would very much appreciate it if someone who already has experience has some tips.

7. Anyway, a piano is the best toy a person could have. So many entertaining possibilities smile

D
D
It looks great! It looks like you have some competition for time on the bench.

F
F
Congratulations on your lovely new piano. Regarding the thin sound you're getting from the line out... I looked up the manual and this is a stereo 1/8 inch output so you need to make sure you're using a stereo cable and that the speaker you're connecting to has stereo separation, otherwise it will either sum the stereo sound to mono which will sound awful, or only give you the left or right channel which will sound less full on its own. I'm not sure if the Bose speaker you are trying to connect is a true stereo speaker or mono? Even if it has a stereo input at the back, it may still sum to mono. But If I was connecting this piano to powered speakers id use a stereo splitter cable (stereo mini jack at the end that plugs into the line out socket of the piano then divides to two separate left and right cables, that can be plugged into two separate powered speakers positioned sufficiently apart so you hear the left channel on the left and right on the right etc, to preserve the correct stereo image of the piano and that will sound much better than a single speaker. I hope that helps.

F
F
Also regarding the Bluetooth issue, I think the reason you cannot pair your Bose speaker with the piano is because the Bluetooth function of the piano is intended to allow you to stream audio from an external device such as your phone into the piano so it can be heard through headphones, or cable connected speakers, (for example, to play along with a backing track) but not the other way around. The kawai is looking to pair with a sound source, not an output device. I don't know of any digital piano that will send it's audio wirelessly to a Bluetooth speaker. While this seems like a perfectly sensible idea, in reality it wouldn't work well because with Bluetooth there is actually a bit of latency. This usually isn't an issue for listening to pre recorded music, but would make playing the piano frustrating as there would a slight but noticeable delay between pressing a key and hearing it through your Bluetooth speaker.

S
OP Offline
S
Daniel--thanks! I do. Everybody loves it.

David--that sounds like a very promising idea, thank you. I will try it out this weekend.

P
P
Beautiful! Congrats on your new piano! As for the record function I use a Zoom recorder but I am sure the process is still similar or the same-What I do is I start my audio recorder and then start my separate camera recorder. Then in your video editing app (I use Filmora personally which I like) I can add separate audio tracks along with the video and there is a synchronize function that will let you auto-sync the audio to the video. Then I simply mute the audio on the video side of things since I do not need it. Most video editing apps will let you add additional audio tracks but they may not have the auto sync. In that case you just need to create a sync point that you can identify (Like a really loud clap or a beep)and then line up the audio track to match that on the video and then just mute the video track. There are many other ways I am sure you can use an audio mixer device that can take inputs and connect to a camera device etc but I am really just a beginner so I go for the path of least resistance on most things lol.

Z
Z
Wow, what a lovely piano! Congratulations smile Great „surrounding“ as well by the way. As I see it also includes a pianoman smile
I also use a Zoom recorder for recording. But I record without video, just the sound. Also so far just using the integrated mics. Quality is still good (for me). But as Paul_S has described, lots of people mix video recording with a separate sound recording. Will surely result in good quality. Maybe this also works for you.

Last edited by zeitlos; 06/03/22 09:30 AM.
Beautiful piano!! Best of luck to you and many happy years at the keyboard!!

Congratulations.

Deb

Kawai K300 (Past Essex owner)
Yamaha P125
Casio PX160
M
M
Nice apartment! I always like rooms with books and shelves. It's a treasure hunt to me!

I've been looking for a grand (I'm in a house), but maybe I should be considering vertical.

Congrats and hope you enjoy the heck out of your new piano!

Marcus Valdes
Fayetteville, GA
S
OP Offline
S
Thank you all, for the lovely thoughts and useful tips! Appreciate it.

Marcus--oh no! I would have loved a grand if I was in a house. It just that the chances of me getting a house in NYC=pretty much zero (unless I win the lottery, and maybe not even then...lol), so I adapted. But, I'm sure a grand will be amazing if you can manage it (if for nothing else, for the repetition speed).

G
G
Can I ask a question?
I am looking for a piano as well. The K200 is one off the contenders. It sounds and feels good.
But .. I see you have cats. I do as well. I first wanted to put my piano in the living room, but because off the cats i'm not sure if that is a smart move.
Dont the hair come into the piano? Any hair issue?
If not I can put it in my living room, else I will have to put it in a different room but it's much smaler.

----

It's better to burn out than to fade away
S
OP Offline
S
Originally Posted by GarField000
Can I ask a question?
I am looking for a piano as well. The K200 is one off the contenders. It sounds and feels good.
But .. I see you have cats. I do as well. I first wanted to put my piano in the living room, but because off the cats i'm not sure if that is a smart move.
Dont the hair come into the piano? Any hair issue?
If not I can put it in my living room, else I will have to put it in a different room but it's much smaler.

Hi GarField (great name, hehe)! I had the same question before. In my home, there are no cat-free zones, so there was no choice in that regard. My cats do love the piano. In the first 3 weeks, I always found at least 1 or both on the piano (I have 2 cats). Now they have chilled, and my elder cat is the only one whom I still find on it, usually.

I basically keep all the lids down when not in use. The top, and the key cover. There is a small gap underneath the keyboard, but I stuffed it with fabric mainly for volume control...so I don't think a huge amount should be getting in. When my first tuning happens (Aug-Sept), I plan to learn how to open the bottom panel to do some vacuuming occasionally. If needed.

The other issue has been that my younger cat has tried to use the bench as a scratching post. And his nails dig into the soft leather really easily. So I wrapped the bench top in alumnum foil and moved one of their real scratching posts next to the piano. I plan to keep this config for at least a couple of months, until he forgets. In the meantime, I put a quilt over the bench so that it is not so unsightly--but it is funny because it makes crunchy noises when you sit.

I hope this helps, and happy piano researching! (Fwiw, I couldn't be happier with my piano--played it every single day since it came home :))

S
OP Offline
S
Oh yeah, and I dust it at least weekly and wipe down the surfaces. The piano comes with a swede cloth that does a great job removing paw prints.

S
OP Offline
S
Originally Posted by farrell_david
Congratulations on your lovely new piano. Regarding the thin sound you're getting from the line out... I looked up the manual and this is a stereo 1/8 inch output so you need to make sure you're using a stereo cable and that the speaker you're connecting to has stereo separation, otherwise it will either sum the stereo sound to mono which will sound awful, or only give you the left or right channel which will sound less full on its own. I'm not sure if the Bose speaker you are trying to connect is a true stereo speaker or mono? Even if it has a stereo input at the back, it may still sum to mono. But If I was connecting this piano to powered speakers id use a stereo splitter cable (stereo mini jack at the end that plugs into the line out socket of the piano then divides to two separate left and right cables, that can be plugged into two separate powered speakers positioned sufficiently apart so you hear the left channel on the left and right on the right etc, to preserve the correct stereo image of the piano and that will sound much better than a single speaker. I hope that helps.

Thank you again--I finally got around to getting the stereo cable, and it made such a big difference! I got a stereo cable with a splitter, and I tried plugging in to 2 speakers, but for some reason only 1 worked. Next, I will try with some other speakers. But still, it is a much improved sound in the meantime...it gives my ears a much needed relief from headphones. Thank you for the great advice!

Link Copied to Clipboard
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
Piano Buyer - Read the Articles, Explore the website
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Immediate Job Opening
by TimM_980 - 08/15/22 01:41 AM
Twist and Shout!
by That Guy - 08/14/22 09:38 PM
Losing control of the tempo
by Sam S - 08/14/22 06:26 PM
Upgrade to Kawai GM-10 baby grand or large upright
by Hartstrings - 08/14/22 06:19 PM
Disconnecting pedal rods
by skern49 - 08/14/22 05:35 PM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
What's Hot!!
FREE June Newsletter is Here!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
-------------------
Music Store Going Out of Business Sale!
---------------------
Mr. PianoWorld's Original Composition
---------------------
Sell Your Piano on our world famous Piano Forums!
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics214,399
Posts3,216,352
Members106,085
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | MapleStreetMusicShop.com - Our store in Cornish Maine

© copyright 1997 - 2022 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission