2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
59 members (BMKE, 5stringbanjo, 36251, AndrewJCW, accordeur, Bett, 19 invisible), 946 guests, and 353 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
WTF Bach #3230344 07/05/22 06:25 AM
S
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
S
Yamaha still needs to fix up my P-515. Everybody with one can try for themselves. Push the P-515 record button just once. Once only. That gets it ready for recording. And then listen carefully when you firmly (not smash though!) the G3 key. Or even the C4 key. It will be noticed that the very first key that is pushed is quite delayed. An audible delay. The delay probably doesn't show up in the recorded midi. It just happens to be something the Yamaha crew overlooked in testing.

The simple workaround is the double-push record. Pushing the record button twice puts the P-515 into non-paused record mode, which even records the silent part before the first struck note.

SouthPark #3230345 07/05/22 06:54 AM
S
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
S
Originally Posted by SouthPark
Yamaha still needs to fix up my P-515. Everybody with one can try for themselves. Push the P-515 record button just once. Once only. That gets it ready for recording. And then listen carefully when you firmly (not smash though!) the G3 key. Or even the C4 key. It will be noticed that the very first key that is pushed is quite delayed. An audible delay.

typo - 'firmly strike'

AlexBltn #3230376 07/05/22 09:23 AM
N
NXR Offline
N
Originally Posted by AlexBltn
Or maybe this is the result of the global crisis and inflation, when a manufacturer either increases prices or offers less for a comparable price, saving even on small things. Also, haven't you forgotten which pedal now comes with the ES120 by Kawai? And this will be seen more and more often now and in different areas.

Or the circuit components ("chips") they used for the USB audio interface are in very short supply so they decided to continue selling the P125 as opposed to just stopping selling it for the duration. That also frees up those components for the higher priced (and thus higher profit margin) instruments.

Remember, Kawai had to stop selling and taking orders for some of their popular models due to shortages. That causes customers to move to other manufacturers. The P125 (and the P121 I have) essentially are upper entry-level models designed to gain new customers in the hope that they will stay Yamaha customers as they upgrade.

It's also possible that Yamaha's market research told them that the P125 was too good of a value compared to higher-priced models. So they decided to create a larger product differentiation.

I'm pretty sure that this was not done for cost-cutting reasons. Redesigning cases, circuit boards, changing manufacturing processes, revising manuals, revising advertising, training Yamaha people, etc. all cost far more than staying as-is.

Ray

Kawai CA99, Satin Black
Yamaha P-121
Kawai X-150D
WTF Bach #3230378 07/05/22 09:28 AM
G
7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
G
I loved how everyone was first heading in the direction of "maybe Yamaha bought Kawai and is finally releasing a P-125 with a Grand Feel 4 wooden action, which is actually a full concert acoustic frame in a 40lb package, with new full world physics modeled sound engine." Then it turns out it's been gimped (like other minor out-of-cycle releases from other mfgs) and we all spin around instantly and brandish the pitchforks we've been hiding behind our backs 🤣

Bosendorfer D214VC ENPro
Past: Yamaha P-85, P-105, CP50, Kawai MP11, Kawai NV-10
WTF Bach #3230379 07/05/22 09:41 AM
K
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
K
what? who said that? starting to think members here manifest their own realities. crazy

Gombessa #3230380 07/05/22 09:42 AM
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Gombessa
I loved how everyone was first heading in the direction of "maybe Yamaha bought Kawai and is finally releasing a P-125 with a Grand Feel 4 wooden action, which is actually a full concert acoustic frame in a 40lb package, with new full world physics modeled sound engine." Then it turns out it's been gimped (like other minor out-of-cycle releases from other mfgs) and we all spin around instantly and brandish the pitchforks we've been hiding behind our backs 🤣

Yes, the modern way of conversing is definitely not a socratic mindset flavoured by tentitative conclusions and comprehensive list of exceptions and confounding factors lol...

More like this...

Does it conform to expectations?
Yes! Then all heil Yamaha, the greatest.
No, not as good as Kawai! Yamaha must burn for this consumer treasonous spec list 🔥

Now, where's my damn pitch fork...

Last edited by Doug M.; 07/05/22 09:43 AM.

Instruments......Kawai MP7SE.............................................(Past - Kawai MP7, Yamaha PSR7000)
Software..........Sibelius 7; Neuratron Photoscore Pro 8
Stand...............K&M 18953 Table-style Stage Piano Stand
Piano stool.......K&M 14093 Piano stool
WTF Bach #3230390 07/05/22 10:12 AM
K
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
K
don't know how it's going to turn out with the 125a but kawai's 120,520,920 pricing is pretty treasonous. and I love the 520.

David B #3230404 07/05/22 10:54 AM
P
500 Post Club Member
Online Content
500 Post Club Member
P
Originally Posted by David B
Originally Posted by WTF Bach
Bad news. From the manual, pag 24:

Only MIDI data can be transmitted/received from/to this instrument. No audio data can be transmitted/received.

It is incredible!!!! Yamaha decided to commit suicide..:

Interesting. Looks like they've removed the USB audio interface. Glad I have a pre "a" P125. I wouldn't purchase one without an audio interface. Probably go with a Roland instead.

God Bless,
David

I find that hard to believe. I have usb audio in my $300 Yamaha keyboard.

But that is what is says.

Last edited by Purdyd; 07/05/22 10:56 AM.

FP-90x, PX-330
Gombessa #3230443 07/05/22 12:40 PM
W
OP Offline
W
Originally Posted by Gombessa

Next time we will be more balanced and we will heil to the new Yamaha model without keys. We understand, raw materials are expensive…

WTF Bach #3230506 07/05/22 03:19 PM
S
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
S
I guess it isn't the end of the world without USB audio. As long as it has audio line-out and midi-out, then that's ok.

WTF Bach #3230543 07/05/22 06:26 PM
J
J
Sometimes I get the feeling that Yamaha put in USB audio on the P-121/125's "by mistake" as crazy as that sounds. There is to this day no mention of it in the official specs. I think they need to have a hard look at their personnel responsible for writing up the specs. On both the new and old models they say in the connectivity section with regard to midi "No" - surely it should say "USB midi".
I have a feeling (and hope) again its a case of badly written specs but if its true that they have dropped USB audio then this would be a terrible move by Yamaha. The USB audio feature was the deciding factor for me in purchasing my P-121 and I could only confirm that this was available from non-Yamaha YouTube videos.

A
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
A
Originally Posted by Jonky Ponky
Sometimes I get the feeling that Yamaha put in USB audio on the P-121/125's "by mistake" as crazy as that sounds. There is to this day no mention of it in the official specs. I think they need to have a hard look at their personnel responsible for writing up the specs. On both the new and old models they say in the connectivity section with regard to midi "No" - surely it should say "USB midi".
I have a feeling (and hope) again its a case of badly written specs but if its true that they have dropped USB audio then this would be a terrible move by Yamaha. The USB audio feature was the deciding factor for me in purchasing my P-121 and I could only confirm that this was available from non-Yamaha YouTube videos.

Yamaha's website is correct.

P125 doesn't have or support the MIDI connection (the 5pin connector). P125 has MIDI over the USB. So if you read the specs, under the USB section, it says it sends MIDI instructions over the USB.

It is also very unlikely that this is because of the shortage of supplies. Yamaha manufactures those chips itself, it is massively used in every single instrument Yamaha makes! Heck, who knows even that Yamaha P125A motor boat probably has one!!!

My humble guess is that the only modification is the body color. Other than that these products seem to be identical.

Kawai MP7SE, Yamaha MOTF XF6, Yamaha WX5, Yamaha Pacifica 112v
J
J
The USB audio feature was the deciding factor for me in purchasing my P-121 and I could only confirm that this was available from non-Yamaha YouTube videos.
You and me both. I am not able to do as much with that feature as you have (of course I have because I’ve met you here), but I right there with you.

B
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
B
On both the new and old models they say in the connectivity section with regard to midi "No" - surely it should say "USB midi".

Connectivity usually means physical connectivity: ‘ports’ per se - not protocols.

There are no MIDI ports, so the docs are correct.

If there was a ‘supported protocols’ section then MIDI should be in that.

Last edited by Burkey; 07/06/22 03:34 AM.

Pianos are one of the best human inventions of the past 320 years - help evangelize the magic!
WTF Bach #3230865 07/06/22 09:16 PM
B
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
B
‘ MIDI (/ˈmɪdi/; Musical Instrument Digital Interface) is a technical standard that describes a communications protocol, digital interface, and electrical connectors.’

This is also a source of many errors in online reviews, e.g. in YouTube reviews. Generally great pianists are not very knowledgeable about technology - JPS is one exception: I don’t think I’ve seen him make a technical mistake and that’s why he’s trusted and respected (except by Wayne Stuart, the recalcitrant CEO of Stuart & Sons pianos in Australia).

MIDI is an aggregation of 3 things:
1. The digital interface: MIDI connection ports.
2. The electrical connections: MIDI cables.
3. The communication protocol: MIDI data format.

If someone claims ‘there is no MIDI output’ in reference to a digital piano you automatically know they notice technology users (looking at you Patrick Marr from Alamo Music Center in San Antonio!).

Last edited by Burkey; 07/06/22 09:26 PM.

Pianos are one of the best human inventions of the past 320 years - help evangelize the magic!
Burkey #3230867 07/06/22 09:28 PM
B
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
B
‘notice technology users’ => ‘are novice technology users’

recalcitrant = a person with an obstinately uncooperative attitude

Last edited by Burkey; 07/06/22 09:30 PM.

WTF Bach #3231131 07/07/22 11:41 PM
B
B
It is exactly the SAME trailer as P125 LOL

See this one 4 years ago...

I guess Yamaha maybe renaming their P-series to make way for new models?

BennyY #3231144 07/08/22 03:01 AM
W
OP Offline
W
Originally Posted by BennyY
It is exactly the SAME trailer as P125 LOL

See this one 4 years ago...

I guess Yamaha maybe renaming their P-series to make way for new models?

They removed the audio over USB feature..

Burkey #3231401 07/09/22 12:11 AM
C
CJM Offline
C
Originally Posted by Burkey
JPS is one exception: I don’t think I’ve seen him make a technical mistake and that’s why he’s trusted and respected (except by Wayne Stuart, the recalcitrant CEO of Stuart & Sons pianos in Australia).
This is a thread about a particular digital piano in a forum on digital pianos, and yet you, without provocation, choose to quip a personal insult towards someone you may have neither met nor communicated with at any level.

Wayne Stuart has significant runs on the board and clearly has knowledge and experience beyond the loquacious opinions of an amateur YouTube jock. The emotional deficiencies of JPS are aptly demonstrated via his defamatory clip of Stuart’s outright rejection of his advances. If you believe that JPS is the go to guru on matters piano, then it says more about the worth of your own opinions in this thread.

In any case, you may be inclined to refrain from posting unnecessary and insulting comments which only serve to demonstrate an innate ability to open your mouth simply to change feet.

Regards
Chris

Stuart & Sons 2.2 metre #25
WTF Bach #3231573 07/09/22 03:39 PM
T
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
T
If Yamaha made significant or even noticeable changes than a few cosmetic ones, they would relabel the keyboard as P-130, not P-120a or P-120b.

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Piano World 

Link Copied to Clipboard
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
Piano Buyer - Read the Articles, Explore the website
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How old do you think this piano is? (from hammer felt wear)
by 88Key_PianoPlayer - 08/10/22 09:20 PM
what might exist (a keyboard view)?
by keystring - 08/10/22 05:49 PM
Petrof with pianodisc
by AndreaH - 08/10/22 03:46 PM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
What's Hot!!
FREE June Newsletter is Here!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
-------------------
Music Store Going Out of Business Sale!
---------------------
Mr. PianoWorld's Original Composition
---------------------
Sell Your Piano on our world famous Piano Forums!
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics214,335
Posts3,215,354
Members106,056
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | MapleStreetMusicShop.com - Our store in Cornish Maine

© copyright 1997 - 2022 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission