2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
60 members (Andrew E., Billy..., antune, Carey, ambrozy, 15 invisible), 953 guests, and 316 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#3230334 07/05/22 05:14 AM
L
OP Offline
L
I have a quite nice Swedish ”Nordiska Pianofabriken” upright piano in my studio that has a problem with squeaky sounds from the sustain pedal.

I have tried to lubricate the noisy parts with Dry Lube PTFE spray. The squeaks goes away for a while but returns after about half an hours of playing. I had a thought to somehow lubricate with pulverized stearic. (Don’t know if this is the correct English name? Like powder made from candles.)

I’m not sure exactly where the noise come from but it is somewhere from the rotating rod that lift the dampers. Probably the three hinghes that holds it in place or perhaps towards the wood behind.

What are the best options to fix this?

Super thankful for any input! It would be such a shame to thrash such a nice piano just because of this. Sorry have no pitures at the moment but I guess this is quite a common problem / fix.

(ad)
Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
T
T
If you post a lot of videos and photos here there’s a chance somebody might be able to help you. Or you could make your life easy and just hire a piano technician to come in and fix it. Pedal noises are a common problem, but can be very tricky at times to locate since the noises travel around the pedal system in unexpected ways. An experienced person can come in and fix in no time or if it is a complex case might take a long time.

P
5000 Post Club Member
Online Content
5000 Post Club Member
P
Linus,

It is always a process of elimination starting from the bottom up. You must gradually remove sections of the "power train" until you isolate the cause. "Squeak...grunt...grind...rub...chirp, etc" are all different types of friction sounds. There may also be more than one cause.

If it is where you think it is, it will require some disassembly. If you're not familiar with it, best to bring in someone experienced in this.

The fact that you have been temporarily successful at quieting the sound indicates that you are on the right track, but may very treating it incorrectly. Also, don't be fooled simply because it is a new piano. If you bought it from a dealer and it is still within warranty you should be having the dealer fix it at no cost (I think).

Peter Grey Piano Doctor

Peter W. Grey, RPT
New Hampshire Seacoast
www.seacoastpianodoctor.com
pianodoctor57@gmail.com
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PK0T7_I_nV8
L
OP Offline
L
Originally Posted by TimM_980
If you post a lot of videos and photos here there’s a chance somebody might be able to help you. Or you could make your life easy and just hire a piano technician to come in and fix it. Pedal noises are a common problem, but can be very tricky at times to locate since the noises travel around the pedal system in unexpected ways. An experienced person can come in and fix in no time or if it is a complex case might take a long time.

Thanks! I’ll try to upload some pictures/videos next time I’ll visit the studio.

The piano tech I talked to said he could maybe fix it, maybe not (if it’s because of wear) and that it might be just and hour of work or perhaps days of work if more complex. He charges around 100€/h so I thought if I could fix the noises myself he can then come and fix some of the hammers/machanics that need to be given some qualified professional love. If it’s not possible to find a relatively simple long term solution for the sqeaks there’s no point in spending a lot of money on this piano.

Yeah I figure it’s a common problem. That’s why I thought maybe someone could tell what kind of stuff to lubricate with. I’ve already located where it comes from by ear and evidently found the correct spot since it disappears for a while when lubricated.

L
OP Offline
L
Originally Posted by P W Grey
Linus,

It is always a process of elimination starting from the bottom up. You must gradually remove sections of the "power train" until you isolate the cause. "Squeak...grunt...grind...rub...chirp, etc" are all different types of friction sounds. There may also be more than one cause.

If it is where you think it is, it will require some disassembly. If you're not familiar with it, best to bring in someone experienced in this.

The fact that you have been temporarily successful at quieting the sound indicates that you are on the right track, but may very treating it incorrectly. Also, don't be fooled simply because it is a new piano. If you bought it from a dealer and it is still within warranty you should be having the dealer fix it at no cost (I think).

Peter Grey Piano Doctor

Thank you! It was actually quite easy to find where the sqeaks originate from, the cause is harder but I guess it’s from normal wear. The piano is quite old, at least 50 years, probably more. It’s also easy to just remove the whole mechanics part and to reach the sqeaky area.

My main question is what you normally would lubricate this with? Metal parts, wooden parts, fabric, leather etc? Is my idea about PTFE Dry Lube spray or some kind of stearic candle flour on the right track?

Last edited by L i n u s; 07/09/22 04:14 AM.
S
S
Squeaky pedal systems are especially common on modern pianos, especially Yamahas. I can’t image why it would take a technician hours, much less days to fix, though.

Usually, a drip of Protek does the trick and I never hear about it again. Would other lubes work? Maybe, but I’ve never tried (no idea what stearic candle flour is).

Modern verticals tend have plastic tips on the rod ends , and if lube doesn’t help it’s not hard to rebush the receiving holes on the levers with some felt.

Keep in mind that squeaks may originate somewhere else: the dampers themselves and their actuation rod. In that case, you’d have to remove the action and lube each damper (lever/spoon interfaces or sometimes rubbing springs) and/or the rod hangers. Again, Protek usually does the trick. I carry a small bottle with a 3” tip that can get anywhere.

But even with action removal, this shouldn’t take days or even hours, unless there’s some other necessary repair, like bridle strap replacement.

P
5000 Post Club Member
Online Content
5000 Post Club Member
P
In the old days they used bushing cloth to line metal anywhere another piece of metal would come in contact with it (e.g. a pin in a hole or a spring contact, etc.). Thus method holds up for a long time usually. These days rubber or plastic is the bushing and they NEVER last as long. (Quick and cheap though...so that's always a good thing 😉)

Peter Grey Piano Doctor

Peter W. Grey, RPT
New Hampshire Seacoast
www.seacoastpianodoctor.com
pianodoctor57@gmail.com
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PK0T7_I_nV8

Moderated by  Piano World 

Link Copied to Clipboard
(ad)
Piano Buying Guide
The Definitive Piano Buying Guide
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Practicing is Fun!
by malkin - 08/19/22 05:52 PM
Trade-in question
by RealPlayer - 08/19/22 03:09 PM
Kawai CA-67 (used) vs CA-49?
by JasonD - 08/19/22 02:47 PM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
What's Hot!!
FREE June Newsletter is Here!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
-------------------
Music Store Going Out of Business Sale!
---------------------
Mr. PianoWorld's Original Composition
---------------------
Sell Your Piano on our world famous Piano Forums!
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics214,471
Posts3,217,640
Members106,122
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | MapleStreetMusicShop.com - Our store in Cornish Maine

© copyright 1997 - 2022 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission