2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
62 members (Appalachian, Andrew E., Chris B, Catlady, 15 invisible), 971 guests, and 339 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
R
Roxroth Offline OP
OP Offline
R
Hello,

I am looking for an upright piano for my daughter. He is currently using the Yamaha Clavinova CLP-785 but we want to buy an acoustic piano. I checked Yamaha U3A, UX3 and YU5 in the area but they all didn't sound very good. I think they have lack of hammers intonation because the sound is uneven.

Can you recommend me other similar models of instruments that are worth checking out?

There is also Hoffmann by Bechstein 128 in the area which I can check.

Thanks for any advise smile

7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
The Hoffmann may be worth a look. What other manufacturers are represented by dealers in your area?

Pianist, teacher, apprentice technician, internet addict.
Piano Review Editor - Acoustic and Digital Piano Buyer
S
Online Content
S
I'd check these ones out:
W.Schimmel (has my personal favourite sound at this price range)
Kawai K700
W.Hoffmann
Kayserburg KA artist series (my personal favorite, to me they were as good as the Bechstein uprights)

Last edited by Steven Y. A.; 07/05/22 11:58 AM.

PLEYEL P124
Platinum Subscriber
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Platinum Subscriber
Originally Posted by Tom Ryshka
Hello,

I am looking for an upright piano for my daughter. He is currently using the Yamaha Clavinova CLP-785 but we want to buy an acoustic piano. I checked Yamaha U3A, UX3 and YU5 in the area but they all didn't sound very good. I think they have lack of hammers intonation because the sound is uneven.

Can you recommend me other similar models of instruments that are worth checking out?

There is also Hoffmann by Bechstein 128 in the area which I can check.

Thanks for any advise smile

Hi Tom Ryshka,

My first thought is that because of the age of the Yamahas you have played (none of them are new) that you aren't giving the models a fair shake. Have you played a NEW U3, or YUS series piano by Yamaha? They have made marked improvements in the 30 years or so since the U3a was built, for instance. In fact, I would say that the CLP785 is a better choice than a 30 year old acoustic that has worn to the point that it sounds uneven. (again, the U3a was made in the early 1980's, the UX3 was made until the late 1980's).

An additional thought, the CLP785's action is based on a grand piano. The key length is longer than many acoustic verticals and it is counterbalanced similarly to a grand piano. So in some ways it will need to be a fine acoustic piano to give a substantial difference in performance.

My 2 cents,

Rich Galassini
Cunningham Piano Company
Visit one of our four locations
(215) 991-0834 direct
rich@cunninghampiano.com
Learn more about the Matchless Cunningham
S
Online Content
S
That’s a good point. I happen to just played a few used Yamaha in from a dealer. Pre 90s Yamaha we’re all in bad shape, not a pleasure to play. The used u1 from 2008 however sounds nice

PLEYEL P124
R
Roxroth Offline OP
OP Offline
R
Thanks for answer.

I didn't have the opportunity to play the new yamaha U3 or YUS5 so I don't have a point of reference

Tomorrow I'm going to check out more uprights on local dealers. They have Yamaha U3H, U3A, UX3, U3FS, Hoffmann by Bechstein.

Maybe this Hoffmann will sound better because it is a younger upright.

I think the problem is that everyone wants to earn as much as possible and as quickly as possible. Pianos are prepared for sale mainly visually and tuned. Few people delve into the schemas.

And I'm not going to buy an acoustic piano that sounds worse than a digital one. I guess that misses the point.

R
Roxroth Offline OP
OP Offline
R
Maybe I should check out some Kawai pianos? K-800? Other models?

7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
K-500 and up are pretty well-regarded. You still didn’t mention what brands your dealers carry. It’s true, many dealers don’t do much with their inventories, particularly with upright pianos. But also, many of the “refurbished” used Japanese pianos they are selling are now 40-50 years old!

Pianist, teacher, apprentice technician, internet addict.
Piano Review Editor - Acoustic and Digital Piano Buyer
G
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
G
Maybe I should check out some Kawai pianos? K-800? Other models?

Well, I have a K800 and love it (the K500 is also very nice) so I would say, yes, definitely put these on your list to check. The Kawai's and Yamahas do have different characters to each other, both can be fine pianos but some of us prefer one, some the other, it's a question of personal preference rather than quality here.

That all said and done you have been looking at used pianos and the condition of the individual piano is likely to be perhaps more important than the model type - you can go to a big dealer with 20 used U1 pianos in stock and find they all play and sound different to one another. You mentioned a UX3 that you tried, that was my old piano and one in really good condition can be quite stunning. When shopping for used pianos I would say just play as many different piano as you can, irrespective of manufacturer or model, and find one or two you like the most. Then perhaps ask us for opinions on your favourites (although your opinion will be the one that matters most), none of us can really predict the piano you'll like the most. Just to repeat - don't write off a manufacturer or model based on just one or two used samples, there is just too much variation. If you consistently prefer one manufacturer over another that's fine and you know where to concentrate your search but I'd still say play anything you find - there may be a real individual gem out there from a maker or even a model you wouldn't normally expect to like.

S
Online Content
S
you didn't mention how old were the yamahas you have played. The ones I played recently, with 30+ age, were not in good condition at all.

PLEYEL P124
80k Offline
Wilhelm Grotrian WG-32 is also 52" and sounds really good and should be cheaper than the K500 or U3.

R
Roxroth Offline OP
OP Offline
R
All the U3 and UX3 I was checking were from 1980-1990. The Yamaha YUS5 was from 2000+

The Hoffmann I am going to check tomorrow is almost new piano.

I am looking for a used piano, so dealers have all the models they can get in their hands.

The one I am going to tomorrow has, in addition to the ones I mentioned:

Sauter R2 122
Euterpe by Bechstein E 121
Petrof 131
Petrof Orchestra 145
Petrof 11 with Renner
Kawai KU10 from 2000y

... and some cheaper smile

R
Roxroth Offline OP
OP Offline
R
I found what I was looking for. Yamaha U3F with Sostenuto pedal came to the dealer in the last delivery. We managed to see them in the condition in which they were brought. They didn't even have time to vacuum it. The piano is in perfect technical condition. As if it was practically not used at all. No backlash on the mechanics. Home delivery on Monday. The price is a little above the planned budget - $ 6,000.

G
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
G
I found what I was looking for. Yamaha U3F with Sostenuto pedal came to the dealer in the last delivery. We managed to see them in the condition in which they were brought. They didn't even have time to vacuum it. The piano is in perfect technical condition. As if it was practically not used at all. No backlash on the mechanics. Home delivery on Monday. The price is a little above the planned budget - $ 6,000.

Gosh, that was quick. Well done if it's as good as you say and you like it - it is always worth paying the comparatively small premium to get a really good example for these older pianos.

Are you sure you have the skills to know if it really is in perfect technical condition though? The problem is that some, not all, of these imported oldish Yamaha pianos have had more of a beautification than actual reconditioning and it takes a technician to really know. Unless you do have good technical knowledge or have a really good guarantee from a dealer you trust most folks here would recommend paying a technician to inspect it before committing to the purchase (don't use the dealers technician or one they recommend, find and pay for your own to avoid conflicts of interest).

Last edited by gwing; 07/08/22 09:11 AM.
R
Roxroth Offline OP
OP Offline
R
My sister is piano technician. She’s tunning and repairing uprights and grads over 20 years.

She stated that the piano does not sound perfect, but it can be refined.

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
My sister is piano technician. She’s tunning and repairing uprights and grads over 20 years.

She stated that the piano does not sound perfect, but it can be refined.
That’s pretty cool btw smile

Gold Subscriber
Gold Subscriber
Hey Tom
Congrats on your new piano 😊. Hope it gives you many years of joy

"Music, rich, full of feeling, not soulless, is like a crystal on which the sun falls and brings forth from it a whole rainbow" - F. Chopin
"I never dreamt with my own two hands I could touch the sky" - Sappho

It's ok to be a Work In Progress
S
1000 Post Club Member
Online Content
1000 Post Club Member
S
Congratulations 🎉🎊 ! May you enjoy the piano for many years!

G
7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
G
Congratulations! I hope you can start enjoying it soon!

Bosendorfer D214VC ENPro
Past: Yamaha P-85, P-105, CP50, Kawai MP11, Kawai NV-10
Glad you found something! I bet you'll really enjoy the piano. Congratulations.

Formerly chromaticvortex. Bösendorfer 225 (1978 restoration), Yamaha U1 (1984). Writer/piano teacher. Recent video("Vampire’s Lust")=https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=DxKZ5LE-Gcg
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Ken Knapp, Piano World 

Link Copied to Clipboard
(ad)
Piano Buying Guide
The Definitive Piano Buying Guide
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Practicing is Fun!
by malkin - 08/19/22 05:52 PM
Trade-in question
by RealPlayer - 08/19/22 03:09 PM
Kawai CA-67 (used) vs CA-49?
by JasonD - 08/19/22 02:47 PM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
What's Hot!!
FREE June Newsletter is Here!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
-------------------
Music Store Going Out of Business Sale!
---------------------
Mr. PianoWorld's Original Composition
---------------------
Sell Your Piano on our world famous Piano Forums!
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics214,471
Posts3,217,629
Members106,122
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | MapleStreetMusicShop.com - Our store in Cornish Maine

© copyright 1997 - 2022 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission