2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
61 members (Billy..., antune, Carey, ambrozy, Appalachian, Andrew E., 14 invisible), 964 guests, and 325 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#3229962 07/03/22 08:50 AM
AndreaH Offline OP
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
I never hear talk about the Bosendorfer 5'6 model 170. How does it compare to Estonia model 168?

Thanks!

2005 Schimmel 122KE
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Online Content
One can safely assume that since the Bosie costs 2-3 times as much as the Estonia, most would say it's superior in tone, touch, and workmanship. Of course, not everyone would prefer the Bosie because people have their personal preferences for tone and touch.

I think many would say that unless one really loves the sound of a Bosie, Steinway, Bechstein, Fazioli, etc., it doesn't make much sense to spend so much on their very short models that will automatically have some constraints on the quality of the sound because of their length.

For example, I have a M&H BB which costs less than a Steinway S. Unless someone is extremely enamored with the Steinway sound, I think it makes little sense to choose a Steinway S over a M&H BB or some other similar quality piano that is much longer than an S.

AndreaH Offline OP
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by pianoloverus
One can safely assume that since the Bosie costs 2-3 times as much as the Estonia, most would say it's superior in tone, touch, and workmanship. Of course, not everyone would prefer the Bosie because people have their personal preferences for tone and touch.

I think many would say that unless one really loves the sound of a Bosie, Steinway, Bechstein, Fazioli, etc., it doesn't make much sense to spend so much on their very short models that will automatically have some constraints on the quality of the sound because of their length.

For example, I have a M&H BB which costs less than a Steinway S. Unless someone is extremely enamored with the Steinway sound, I think it makes little sense to choose a Steinway S over a M&H BB or some other similar quality piano that is much longer than an S.

Understood. I should clarify more: talking about used pianos on a tight budget and somewhat of a space limitation.
Is it worth paying for a 5'6 used Bosendorfer because it's on your price range or will there be disappointment because of its size? So many rave about the 168 Estonia that I would not hesitate to consider that. Does the Bosie have the great action and tone in a small package?

2005 Schimmel 122KE
S
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
S
Andrea, do you have space that will only accommodate something in this size range? There are certainly very high end manufacturers that make very nice smaller instruments, but they still have some limitations as small instruments, and I think that in many cases, if you have the space to accommodate something a little larger (~190 cm/something above 6 feet), this can be preferable to looking at higher end manufacturers. I think the problem falls into the category of “shopping backward” as described by Steve Cohen in his PianoBuyer article about common shopping mistakes: https://www.pianobuyer.com/article/five-mistakes-first-time-piano-buyers-make/ .

Addendum: I just saw your recent post. Particularly with used pianos, so much depends on the condition. Estonias have also have had very significant changes in the scale design and manufacturing of the pianos over the last 20+ years, so depending on how old the Estonia is, it might be pretty different from a new model L168. I think if you’re interested, you need to play both pianos and decide if either one appeals to you. If so, you should to have it evaluated by a tech. I don’t think there’s an a priori way to give you an answer about whether you will like either piano, let alone whether you’d find the Bosendorfer disappointing.

I would also consider looking at twocats’ epic documentation of her experience buying and owning her Bosendorfer to understand what one person’s experience has been of owning a used Bosendorfer: https://forum.pianoworld.com/ubbthreads.php/topics/3204802/19.html . This is one person’s experience and probably is not representative, but I think it’s still a useful thread to look through.

Last edited by Sgisela; 07/03/22 10:32 AM.
AndreaH Offline OP
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
[quote=Sgisela]Andrea, do you have space that will only accommodate something in this size range? There are certainly very high end manufacturers that make very nice smaller instruments, but they still have some limitations as small instruments, and I think that in many cases, if you have the space to accommodate something a little larger (~190 cm/something above 6 feet), this can be preferable to looking at higher end manufacturers. I think the problem falls into the category of “shopping backward” as described by Steve Cohen in his PianoBuyer article about common shopping mistakes: https://www.pianobuyer.com/article/five-mistakes-first-time-piano-buyers-make/ .
Thank you. I read the article you posted and I thank you! I had followed twocat's journey but I'll go back for an update. I do have the space for definitely under 6' and probably 6'4. So, my $10-15K budget is driving this. I know at my budget it is harder to find a fine piano which is why I jump when I see a used high end piano in my range, or slightly higher.

Thank you for your help! ALWAYS appreciated.

2005 Schimmel 122KE
G
7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
G
You can find a Bosendorfer 170 for $10-15k?? At that price, I'd be worried about what condition it's in...

Bosendorfer D214VC ENPro
Past: Yamaha P-85, P-105, CP50, Kawai MP11, Kawai NV-10
Online Content
Originally Posted by Gombessa
You can find a Bosendorfer 170 for $10-15k?? At that price, I'd be worried about what condition it's in...
Used Bosendorfers are usually extremely high priced. I think the piano could be near "shell" status at that price. Almost impossible that it wouldn't need a lot of work.

Moderated by  Ken Knapp, Piano World 

Link Copied to Clipboard
(ad)
Piano Buying Guide
The Definitive Piano Buying Guide
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Practicing is Fun!
by malkin - 08/19/22 05:52 PM
Trade-in question
by RealPlayer - 08/19/22 03:09 PM
Kawai CA-67 (used) vs CA-49?
by JasonD - 08/19/22 02:47 PM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
What's Hot!!
FREE June Newsletter is Here!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
-------------------
Music Store Going Out of Business Sale!
---------------------
Mr. PianoWorld's Original Composition
---------------------
Sell Your Piano on our world famous Piano Forums!
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics214,471
Posts3,217,640
Members106,122
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | MapleStreetMusicShop.com - Our store in Cornish Maine

© copyright 1997 - 2022 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission