2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
53 members (CharlesXX, bcalvanese, AlkansBookcase, Adam Reynolds, cascadia, Carey, accordeur, 1957, 10 invisible), 2,154 guests, and 301 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#3229555 07/01/22 03:19 PM
I
OP Offline
I
I'm 42 and I played a bit when I was 13-15. I abandoned the music and started focusing only on computers programming, over work...until I recently suffered with burnout.

I restarted about 6 months ago to play the piano, and is awesome. I feel like I found an old friend that haven't seen in 30 years. I now suggest everyone that work on my same field, to spend some time also using the left part of the brain smile playing some music can be therapeutic!

Well I am 31 and never really played piano before then, now I kinda wish I started/took interest earlier, seeing my niece playing the piano in her home and university (they have a music/arts section there and she plays the piano herself for her singing as she's primarily a singer) and youtube videos of young pianists made me pick it up as a hobby.

She's been practicing the piano since before her 10's and her skills are amazing today, yeah makes me wish I took interest earlier but here I am now, I am glad I picked it up now though, it's a very fun instrument.

I made good progress on it within 2-3 months of practice with Fabers book, I am aiming to improve eventually, I hope to make great progress within the years of piano of course.

However then again I never had a piano at my home so I didn't had a choice and those portable pianos are a poor choice from what I've read about them, I now have a digital console piano (YDP-S34) to practice on.

Last edited by LavaWave; 07/01/22 04:23 PM.
T
3000 Post Club Member
Online Content
3000 Post Club Member
T
I started late in the mid-30s. Coming from a non-musical family nobody around me knew much about music except what we heard on the radio and in recordings.

When I was growing up, the family had an upright when I was 5. Mom got me a teacher and tried a few lessons that didn't work out. It would be 3 decades later before I got myself a keyboard and pay for a teacher. Before that I played violin in high school for a few years.

I don't regret not keeping up with music earlier. In my younger days nobody at home had an idea how a piano works and that the instrument have 88 keys. I had no clue what a basic C-major scale is and had to rely on the teacher completely. There was no Internet & Google search to look things up. I wasn't ready for piano then. Today I'm having a much easier time. Many of the pieces I'm learning are student pieces that people would routinely upload recordings online so I can listen to what they sound like than playing by trial & error on my own.

D
D
well, I have played music my entire life and always wanted to play piano. Just never had the time to dedicate to more than one instrument at a time.

I am now 68 and have a year of lessons under my belt. I love it and wish I had started sooner. so you see, you didn't' wait as long as I did and you have many years of piano ahead of you.

Bosendorfer 200
Yamaha P515 - camping piano!
Previous - Kawai RX3, Yamaha c3 (1985), Yamaha CLP 785, Roland FP30
Recording Gear - Focusrite Clarette, Rode NT1-A's

F
F
I started piano in my sixties, I love it but TBH I don’t regret the delay. I had a great career in technology, and when I retired I thought I’d continue doing the same thing in some sort of reduced capacity. It was a bit of a personal surprise when I discovered I was apparently burned out and was glad to leave that phase of my life behind.

It took about a year of trying other activities before I stumbled on piano playing. Sure I’d be better if I started younger, but on the other hand it wouldn’t be as fresh and challenging at this age and doing something new was one of my goals. Maybe I’m just rationalizing what I can’t change, but I’m happy with the tradeoff.

D
D
fred768 - I don't hear it as rationalizing - I think that is a great attitude. It is very cool to be able to discover and get excited about new things even as we get older.

Bosendorfer 200
Yamaha P515 - camping piano!
Previous - Kawai RX3, Yamaha c3 (1985), Yamaha CLP 785, Roland FP30
Recording Gear - Focusrite Clarette, Rode NT1-A's

T
T
ignazoic, it warmed my heart to read that you re-found the piano.

I'm surprised at the large number of folks here who have come back to, or discovered, piano later in life. I'm in my late 60's and took it up on retirement. It is a physical and a mental activity that helps keep me young and well. It has enriched my life. I would recommend it as an activity for everyone.

Last edited by Tassieguy; 07/02/22 07:51 AM.
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
I'm 68, restarted about 12 years ago. It's a great hobby!

We sometimes get posters saying they are frustrated and want to quit. But if you quit, where will you be in 5 years? Probably wishing that you had not quit. But if you stick with it, in 5 more years you will have 5 years of making music!

Sam

Back to School at 62: How I earned a BM degree in Piano Performance/Piano Pedagogy in my retirement!
ABF Online Recitals
ABF Recital Index
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Welcome to Piano World ignazioc! It seems very common for people who learned playing the piano as a child to have stopped playing as adults, and resume it later. (I am not one of them - I started when I was well in my fifties.)

Originally Posted by ignazioc
to spend some time also using the left part of the brain smile

Just to inform you, you spend all the time also using the left part of your brain. wink But if you want to do something that uses the left half of your brain a bit more than the right half, do something with your right arm or right leg. Or close your left eye.

Playing the piano is learning to create, playfully and deeply seriously, our own music in the world.
... feeling like the pianist on the Titanic ...
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Tassieguy
ignazoic, it warmed my heart to read that you re-found the piano.

I'm surprised at the large number of folks here who have come back to, or discovered, piano later in life. I'm in my late 60's and took it up on retirement. It is a physical and a mental activity that helps keep me young and well. It has enriched my life. I would recommend it as an activity for everyone.

I'm 65 now, retired and love being retired! I started learning to play the piano about 15/16 years ago. Actually, it was not age that prompted me toward the piano, but a severe finger injury that impaired me a little when playing my stringed instruments. The injury messed up/mutilated my finger-tip on my left index finger (#2 on the piano finger chart), and you need those finger tips to play the stringed instruments.

However, the finger injury didn't seem to impair depressing a piano key. So, my piano journey was up and running, and more fun than I ever imagined!

As for playing the piano helping to keep us young, that reminds me of the lyrics to one of my original blues songs... "well, some people, they call me an old man; but that's alright by me. I said, some people, they call me an old man; but that's alright by me. Cause as long as I can play this piano, I'm just as young as I wanna be".

Okay, while I'm on a roll here, there's another verse that says "You say you're gonna leave me baby; well, you can go ahead on. I said, you say you're gonna leave me baby; well, you can go ahead on. Cause as long as I can play this old piano, I won't even know that you're gone." Sorry, I couldn't resist... smile

Rick

Piano enthusiast and amateur musician: "Treat others the way you would like to be treated". Yamaha C7. YouTube Channel
E
EPW Offline
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
E
Congrats on learning the piano. Just remember it shall be a long journey but usually a nice scenic ride. Playing a musical instrument can be a nice way to meditate 🧘‍♀️

All these years playing and I still consider myself a novice.

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,152
Members111,629
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission