2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
52 members (AndyP, AndrewJCW, astrotoy, Carey, CharlesXX, Adem, 15 invisible), 380 guests, and 272 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
7000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
7000 Post Club Member
Wow. This real estate listing is full of amazing color! If you enjoy looking at unusual interior decoration, take a look at the listing itself (link below). There are a few more photos of the piano room, but here are two.

Can anyone identify the piano? I can't make it out.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

If I were going to buy this house, I would want them to leave all the furnishings and artwork. And crazy wallpaper. I don't usually like this kind of interior design, but for some reason I love everything about this house! Too bad I don't live in Chicago... or have a spare 5.5 million dollars lying around... whome

$5.5 million home in Chicago

Last edited by ShiroKuro; 06/26/22 11:15 AM.

Started piano June 1999.
Proud owner of a Yamaha C2

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
I believe it’s a D.H. Baldwin with a player system. So most likely the owners don’t know how to play. Just a cocktail party piano. lol. If I had a $5M home, I’d sure have a much nicer piano then a D.H. Baldwin. A Bosendorfer 😁😁😁

1995 Baldwin Model R / Past: Pearl River gp188a, Casio GP-300
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
What MAlex said, the words look like DH Baldwin and I can see the font a little bit.

Level 2
What kind of player system?

Last edited by probably blue; 06/26/22 12:16 PM.
Well in my 2 minute Google research effort looks like it could be a QRS Pianomotion 2000. Definitely not my area of expertise. Lol.

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
If that’s right then LEVEL 3:
What the heck is that bench 😳

7000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
7000 Post Club Member
Thanks MAlex!

Originally Posted by probably blue
If that’s right then LEVEL 3:
What the heck is that bench 😳

Very unfortunate is what that bench is!! grin grin grin

Last edited by ShiroKuro; 06/26/22 12:57 PM.

Started piano June 1999.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by MAlex
I believe it’s a D.H. Baldwin with a player system. So most likely the owners don’t know how to play. Just a cocktail party piano. lol. If I had a $5M home, I’d sure have a much nicer piano then a D.H. Baldwin. A Bosendorfer 😁😁😁

I agree; it does look like a D.H. Baldwin (AKA Samick). And, they sure did alter and stretch the photo a lot. I guess they are trying to stretch out the sale price as much as possible.

Real estate is through the roof for sure. A small house (1400 sq ft?) with vinyl siding, across the road from me, on 2 acres, just came up for sale for $285,000. I hope it sells and they get their price. I wouldn't pay anywhere near that much. Guess I'm way out of touch with real estate reality.

And, getting back to the topic at hand, a D. H. Baldwin grand, with a player system, isn't that impressive for a $5M home. If they cut corners on the grand piano, where else did they cut corners? smile

Rick

Piano enthusiast and amateur musician: "Treat others the way you would like to be treated". Yamaha C7. YouTube Channel
Well looking at few listings for late 1990’s DH Baldwin’s, C172’s etc, (indeed made by Samick) they came with vinyl upholstered benches with the same brass capped feet. So I guess the interior designer here didn’t like the brown vinyl and it was reupholstered with that lovely chartreuse fabric. Lol.

Speaking of cheap pianos in expensive houses…. The family home of one of my closest friends sold in January of this year for $13 million. They had custom built the home in the 90’s and had a “piano closet” built in dining room with a pair of double doors that when open exposed:

Their mother’s childhood, tired 1950’s Wurlitzer spinet. 😫😫😫. They weren’t piano people and it was only rarely used when they hired a pianist for cocktail parties etc. I spent a lot of time in the house during a period when I was without a piano, but never bothered to play it since it was so uninspiring. Always thought it was a shame they did’t have had a piano that was the same caliber as the house.

G
7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
G
Originally Posted by Rickster
Real estate is through the roof for sure. A small house (1400 sq ft?) with vinyl siding, across the road from me, on 2 acres, just came up for sale for $285,000. I hope it sells and they get their price. I wouldn't pay anywhere near that much. Guess I'm way out of touch with real estate reality.
Location, location, location right? Imagine what 2 acres in Manhattan or Tokyo would cost...

Bosendorfer D214VC ENPro
Past: Yamaha P-85, P-105, CP50, Kawai MP11, Kawai NV-10
M
M
Such a fascinating tour! Thanks for posting! - It's always so interesting to see other people's taste, especially in different countries.

7000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
7000 Post Club Member
Monviso, glad you enjoyed the photos! I also like looking at real estate listings in Europe, although they're harder for me to find!

On the topic of real estate prices, yep, the prices are just insane! A house in our neighborhood just went on the market, it's listed for about $100,000 more than what we paid for our house. Same number of bedrooms and bathrooms, but no basement (we have a walk-out basement that's half finished and half a concrete room, we have a huge space for exercise equipment down there and Mr SK's studio is there). Oh and our property is about twice as big as the one that's just been listed. Too bad we're not planning on moving, or downsizing. I would imagine that anyone ready to downsize would really clean up.

Back to the piano... good point about the photo being stretched out. I bet they didn't even need to do that. It's obvious from the listing photo that the room where the piano is is a pretty big room (what with having two sets of sitting furniture)....

Still fun to look at though! smile

Started piano June 1999.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
G
7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
G
I don't think it's intentional. You simply must use a wide angle lens when photographing small residential rooms (conveniently, doing so also makes the rooms look larger!) and a rectilinear wide lens has a distortion effect that stretches out the corners like this.

Bosendorfer D214VC ENPro
Past: Yamaha P-85, P-105, CP50, Kawai MP11, Kawai NV-10
7000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
7000 Post Club Member
Gombessa, good point.

And really, these listing photos are fine. I've seen some that are so bad, it's hard to imagine what the photographer was thinking! One listing I looked at recently had all the photos, every single one, at odd angels, browsing through them was like being on a ship in the middle of a bad storm!

Started piano June 1999.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
I do not like the colour of those peachy/pink chairs.A more formal colour for me would have been better in that room.The piano looks fine, an older Baldwin semi concert would be nice though.I love the drapes!

My piano's voice is my voice to God and the great unknown universe, and to those I love.In other words a hymn.That is all, but that is enough.Life goes on, despite pain and fear.Music is beautiful,life is beautiful.

A
A
I don't mind the chairs, but that piano bench is sick. I suppose I could live in that apartment if I really had to...

M
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
M
I'm familiar with that area, they must have bought multiple adjacent buildings and combined them to get 7000 sqft, those were pretty modest places when they were originally built. There's probably no neighbors left to complain if they play the piano loud, they bought all the neighbor's houses.

Yamaha P90, Kawai GL-10
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Good Lord, that was rather, shall we say as the Germans: Prunkvoll!!

Some men are music lovers. Others make love without it.
7000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
7000 Post Club Member
I love those pink furnishings! Just goes to show there's no accounting for taste!
grin grin grin

Mark, good point, I hadn't thought about that. Very interesting.

Started piano June 1999.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
T
Online Content
T
Once I saw “Chicago”, I didn’t even need to look at the listing to know this was the Gold Coast. laugh I have a few friends that live in that area, and this photo just reeks of the kind of homes you’d find there. Either tall luxury condos, or vintage old-style homes like this. Sky-high rent prices to match the sky-high buildings. But it’s always nice to rub shoulders with the significantly more wealthy Gold-Coasters when I’m there.

“Unusual interior decoration” is right. grin Normally, I love a very gilded & lushly fabric-covered room, and have tried to decorate my music room very similarly (although with admittedly cheaper materials lol) but the colors are a bit much for my tastes. I tend to be more of a color-matcher/same-color-family type.

And yeah, it’s a DH Baldwin. The clearer photos on the page confirm that. As others have said, I doubt these people even play the piano, as they’d certainly go for something better if they did. Typical wealthy people for whom the piano is merely an entertainment piece. It probably plays a few tunes for their delight, and maybe they know someone who plays the piano and who may play on it occasionally. However, I doubt it was purchased for regular play or enjoyment. It may also be a vintage, in-the-family type piano. That’s the only other option I can see.

Agree with Gombessa, also. Real estate photography tends to use this kind of lens for photographing the rooms and the stretch effect is a side-effect of the lens. While shopping around for a study to use during the pandemic, I saw this often. And it was always such a shock to actually visit the place when selecting a study, only to find it looked much smaller than the gorgeously wide photos. grin

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Ken Knapp, Piano World 

Link Copied to Clipboard
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
Piano Buyer - Read the Articles, Explore the website
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Immediate Job Opening
by TimM_980 - 08/15/22 01:41 AM
Twist and Shout!
by That Guy - 08/14/22 09:38 PM
Losing control of the tempo
by Sam S - 08/14/22 06:26 PM
Upgrade to Kawai GM-10 baby grand or large upright
by Hartstrings - 08/14/22 06:19 PM
Disconnecting pedal rods
by skern49 - 08/14/22 05:35 PM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
What's Hot!!
FREE June Newsletter is Here!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
-------------------
Music Store Going Out of Business Sale!
---------------------
Mr. PianoWorld's Original Composition
---------------------
Sell Your Piano on our world famous Piano Forums!
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics214,399
Posts3,216,352
Members106,085
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | MapleStreetMusicShop.com - Our store in Cornish Maine

© copyright 1997 - 2022 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission