2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
61 members (blueviewlaguna., Alto, 80k, Burkhard, ambrozy, bob@pei, 17 invisible), 3,059 guests, and 326 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
J
OP Offline
J
Hello all,
I've been researching for a couple weeks now on what I should buy for a piano, external speakers and a microphone. So many options and I don't know that reading amazon reviews is my best option so figured I'd come here and post my question.

I am looking to purchase a good keyboard to use at our church functions/occasions that will be outside mostly(up to 100-150 people at the most). The needs/wants are 88 keys, weighted keys, and pedal. We also need some external speakers that can be plugged into the keyboard and would ideally like a microphone or 2. Any suggestions would be very appreciated. I was going to buy the yamaha p71 keyboard but had read that when you plug external speakers into it, it doesn't sound very good at all. If anyone could steer me in the right direction that would be awesome. Willing to spend some money on the setup but there is just so many options out there. Ideally trying to stay around 1500 for the setup.

C
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
C
Try this for a starter:

. . . Yamaha P125 or Kawai ES-110 / ES-120 or Roland FP30x

. . . Shure SM58 mic plus stand plus cable

. . . ElectroVoice ZXA1 powered speaker (with both built-in mic preamp and line-level inputs) plus tripod speaker stand

I think those will fit within your budget. I have the mic and speaker. The mic is widely used. The speaker isn't the most modern design (no DSP, for one thing), but IMHO it sounds good, and will handle 100 people. You'll need a tripod stand to get it above the heads of the audience -- much better coverage with a high loudspeaker. There are equivalent (8" woofer + horn tweeter) powered speakers from Yamaha / Mackie / Yorkville. Check for "powered stage monitors" in the catalogs.

You can drive the speaker from the headphone output of the DP (whatever you choose), _if_ the DP has monophonic capabilities. That might be via dedicated monophonic pianos, or a simple resistive mixer, or by using just the "Left/Mono" line output, if it has line outputs.

Using a two-input powered speaker eliminates the need for an audio mixer -- one less thing for an inexperienced person to mis-configure. If you want to use two mic's, you _will_ need a mixer. Yamaha and Mackie and Behringer make small, two-mic mixer (Behringer Xenyx 802 is one).

This is not rocket science. Getting the absolute "best bang for the buck" is always a difficult trade-off, but there are lots of combinations that will work well.

. Charles
---------------------------
PX-350 / microKorg XL+ / Pianoteq
J
OP Offline
J
Originally Posted by Charles Cohen
Try this for a starter:

. . . Yamaha P125 or Kawai ES-110 / ES-120 or Roland FP30x

. . . Shure SM58 mic plus stand plus cable

. . . ElectroVoice ZXA1 powered speaker (with both built-in mic preamp and line-level inputs) plus tripod speaker stand

I think those will fit within your budget. I have the mic and speaker. The mic is widely used. The speaker isn't the most modern design (no DSP, for one thing), but IMHO it sounds good, and will handle 100 people. You'll need a tripod stand to get it above the heads of the audience -- much better coverage with a high loudspeaker. There are equivalent (8" woofer + horn tweeter) powered speakers from Yamaha / Mackie / Yorkville. Check for "powered stage monitors" in the catalogs.

You can drive the speaker from the headphone output of the DP (whatever you choose), _if_ the DP has monophonic capabilities. That might be via dedicated monophonic pianos, or a simple resistive mixer, or by using just the "Left/Mono" line output, if it has line outputs.

Using a two-input powered speaker eliminates the need for an audio mixer -- one less thing for an inexperienced person to mis-configure. If you want to use two mic's, you _will_ need a mixer. Yamaha and Mackie and Behringer make small, two-mic mixer (Behringer Xenyx 802 is one).

This is not rocket science. Getting the absolute "best bang for the buck" is always a difficult trade-off, but there are lots of combinations that will work well.

Thank you! Appreciate the info!

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Jtracker
Hello all,
I've been researching for a couple weeks now on what I should buy for a piano, external speakers and a microphone. So many options and I don't know that reading amazon reviews is my best option so figured I'd come here and post my question.

I am looking to purchase a good keyboard to use at our church functions/occasions that will be outside mostly(up to 100-150 people at the most). The needs/wants are 88 keys, weighted keys, and pedal. We also need some external speakers that can be plugged into the keyboard and would ideally like a microphone or 2. Any suggestions would be very appreciated. I was going to buy the yamaha p71 keyboard but had read that when you plug external speakers into it, it doesn't sound very good at all. If anyone could steer me in the right direction that would be awesome. Willing to spend some money on the setup but there is just so many options out there. Ideally trying to stay around 1500 for the setup.

If I were choosing for myself to keep costs low for the keyboard:

Roland FP30X

Mic: Sennheiser E945

Are you wanting a PA?
If so, do you need battery powered amplification for off piste work?

Last edited by Doug M.; 06/23/22 07:56 AM.

Instruments......Kawai MP7SE.............................................(Past - Kawai MP7, Yamaha PSR7000)
Software..........Sibelius 7; Neuratron Photoscore Pro 8
Stand...............K&M 18953 Table-style Stage Piano Stand
Piano stool.......K&M 14093 Piano stool
C
C
I like the Kawai ES120. But whatever keyboard you get, make sure it has line-out for the PA. Some of the low-end pianos leave that out. Also, while recent digital pianos have improved greatly, there hasn’t been a lot of revolutionary change in PA systems. By which I mean, you can save some money by buying a used mixing board, microphone, and powered speakers.

I bought a used Bose L1 tower, and it would work great for your needs. It is simple to operate since you don’t need a separate mixer, speaker stands, and speaker cables.

Rodney Sauer
Kawai KG-2E • Kawai ES8 • Kawai ES920
C
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
C
+1 on the Bose towers. They give good coverage, and fewer feedback problems than point-source speakers. We have them in our synagogue, with good results.

Another path (to an easy-to-use PA system) is to get a Yamaha Stagepas system, or one of its competitors. They combine a mixer + power amp in one box, and a pair of PA loudspeakers, into a single package for carrying. Here's the smallest one in Yamaha's line:

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/de...tagepas-400bt-portable-pa-with-bluetooth

I urge you to rent some PA equipment, and a DP, before you make any decisions. Rental fees are reasonable, and you'll learn a lot about what you need, and what you don't.

. Charles
---------------------------
PX-350 / microKorg XL+ / Pianoteq
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Charles Cohen
+1 on the Bose towers. They give good coverage, and fewer feedback problems than point-source speakers. We have them in our synagogue, with good results.

Another path (to an easy-to-use PA system) is to get a Yamaha Stagepas system, or one of its competitors. They combine a mixer + power amp in one box, and a pair of PA loudspeakers, into a single package for carrying. Here's the smallest one in Yamaha's line:

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/de...tagepas-400bt-portable-pa-with-bluetooth

I urge you to rent some PA equipment, and a DP, before you make any decisions. Rental fees are reasonable, and you'll learn a lot about what you need, and what you don't.

You can always pick up bose L1 compact on ebay second hand.

Instruments......Kawai MP7SE.............................................(Past - Kawai MP7, Yamaha PSR7000)
Software..........Sibelius 7; Neuratron Photoscore Pro 8
Stand...............K&M 18953 Table-style Stage Piano Stand
Piano stool.......K&M 14093 Piano stool

Moderated by  Piano World 

Link Copied to Clipboard
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
Piano Buyer - Read the Articles, Explore the website
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Bichord damper not damping
by Alto - 07/01/22 07:21 PM
Reshaping hammers by gang filing
by electone2007 - 07/01/22 07:13 PM
Regarding hammer swing test
by electone2007 - 07/01/22 06:59 PM
Kawai NV5 sustain pedal problem
by John Dean - 07/01/22 05:41 PM
Grand piano cover
by Belger1900 - 07/01/22 05:14 PM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
What's Hot!!
FREE June Newsletter is Here!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
-------------------
Music Store Going Out of Business Sale!
---------------------
Mr. PianoWorld's Original Composition
---------------------
Sell Your Piano on our world famous Piano Forums!
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics213,767
Posts3,204,745
Members105,689
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | MapleStreetMusicShop.com - Our store in Cornish Maine

© copyright 1997 - 2022 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission