2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
51 members (AndreaH, anotherscott, AndrewJCW, 36251, Alex Hutor, BMKE, 15 invisible), 685 guests, and 341 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
M
OP Offline
M
Originally Posted by vagfilm
3rd find: Symp resonance exists, and the MP3 below demonstrates it. In the file (rendered from a midi test file so that I could ensure absolute control over note duration and velocity) I play four times a staccato C3 (vel=127). The first C3 is played alone: no symp resonance. Then I play an octave (G1 through G2) at vel=1 and hold the notes; notice how loud a chord at vel=1 is !!! After the octave notes completely decayed but while the keys are still maintained, I play the second C3 and a strong symp resonance can be heard. Then I release all hold notes except C2 (still at vel=1 and completely silent at this moment) and I play the third C3: now a C2 resonance can be heard. Then I release C2 and play again C3 and no resonance occurs (although the render ends abruptly, the effect is exactly the same as in the first C3).

vagfilm, thank you for taking the time to provide such interesting data.

No, I don't think the point is proven, I don't think a usable, realistic, musical resonance exists.

On your second hit of C3 a strong resonance of C3 itself exists. That's a very silly effect and not the real sympathetic resonance that you normally hear in an acoustic. Symp resonance is when ANOTHER string is excited by the one being hit. Not the case here. This effect gives kind of an halo to the C3 itself, very unrealistic IMO.

As for your third hit, yes a C2 resonance can be heard, proper resonance, so feeble you really need to listen closely. A real acoustic instrument has a much much louder resonance and so does a well implemented software (Garritan)

So my opinion is that symp res here if it does exist is so poorly implemented as to make it unusable.

In any case thank you so much again for such a valuable, real data contribution.

(sidenote, I would never have expected such a debate on such a technicality . . .interesting . . .)

Last edited by marklings; 06/18/22 02:55 AM.
V
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
V
I agree that the resonance is far from well implemented, but that was not the goal of this simple test. Several posts mentioned that there was no resonance at all: that holding the keys down did not affect the sound in any way. I was puzzled by that because VSL has a knob for resonance and so I wanted to see what happened in a sterile test.

I have garritan (but have to reinstall it), some of the NI pianos and ModernU. In the next days I can replicate the test in some others VSTs...

M
OP Offline
M
Please do!

I would be most interested in the results

Thanks

O
O
Hi,

and the preset :

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1VE_Bpzg_Kw9xxVQStbr2ZvhWl5ZUaVy_/view

On my YAMAHA N1X i have to set midi sensitivity in VSL player to - 36 : no need to change velocity curve with the Settings at - 36 like this nice preset smile

i confirm : no sympathetic resonance between keys -> just sometimes release sound -> and Sympathetic resonance in VSL is fake with you set -inf to some dB (No rules between keys)

So : VSL STEINWAY D : sound nice but doesn't have real Sympathetic resonance and not una corda samples

for sympathetic resonance you could add Pianoteq specific preset at same times at VSL smile ( just an idea)

O.F : Real GRAND Schimmel 1m74 - YAMAHA N1X with: in order of preference: 1)VSL SYNCHRON Steinway D-274 - 2) Yamaha N1X internal sound 3) Pianoteq 7.5.4 Steinway(s) - my Dream a Real Steinway in my living room - (but i've fast already it, with magical VSL Synchron Steinway D-274)
O
O
Hi,

you can mix VSL D 274 with Pianoteq Steinway HB (easy on mac OSX)

same tuning -> and more unisson width

And thanks to Pianoteq you have real Sympathetic resonance.

see this demo with Sympathetic resonance check with chord at end of video :

Midi sensitivity in VSL : -36 to have same velocity than pianoteq default curve.
Only VSL condenser CLOSE 1 mic with 2 close mics in Pianoteq and 1 other mic smile
Same eaqual temperament at 440 Hz

but VSL have still silent keys problem.

On my hybrid Yamaha N1X, when the hammer doesn't hit the strings, velocity is 1 (silent) :
Work with Pianoteq
not ok in VSL V68 player

Regards,

Olivier F.

Last edited by owfrappier; 06/19/22 04:53 PM.

O.F : Real GRAND Schimmel 1m74 - YAMAHA N1X with: in order of preference: 1)VSL SYNCHRON Steinway D-274 - 2) Yamaha N1X internal sound 3) Pianoteq 7.5.4 Steinway(s) - my Dream a Real Steinway in my living room - (but i've fast already it, with magical VSL Synchron Steinway D-274)
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Piano World 

Link Copied to Clipboard
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
Piano Buyer - Read the Articles, Explore the website
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Are these George Winston sheet music books legit?
by ShiroKuro - 08/10/22 10:41 PM
How old do you think this piano is? (from hammer felt wear)
by 88Key_PianoPlayer - 08/10/22 09:20 PM
what might exist (a keyboard view)?
by keystring - 08/10/22 05:49 PM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
What's Hot!!
FREE June Newsletter is Here!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
-------------------
Music Store Going Out of Business Sale!
---------------------
Mr. PianoWorld's Original Composition
---------------------
Sell Your Piano on our world famous Piano Forums!
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics214,335
Posts3,215,368
Members106,057
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | MapleStreetMusicShop.com - Our store in Cornish Maine

© copyright 1997 - 2022 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission