2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
67 members (0day, ada d., Alex Hutor, brennbaer, astrotoy, Animisha, Carey, brdwyguy, 13 invisible), 1,050 guests, and 308 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
J
Jt2nd Offline OP
OP Offline
J
In the Owner`s Manual for the Kawai ES 110 model the List of Temperaments has an explanation telling where they fit into musical history and why they sound different to Equal Temperament . Why some sound better in one key and worse in another . These temperaments are the ancestors that came before Equal temperament . The explanation list in the manual forms a precious document to link us to our common musical history . These old temperaments are like beautiful jigsaws where the pieces don`t really fit the Equal Temperament Jigsaw . But we cannot jumble up all the pieces in the same box and it would be a shame to throw out all the old jigsaws . Vladimir Nabokov said "Where there is Beauty there is Pity. The beauty must die ." He was a collector of butterflies . They had died but remained beautiful in his collection .

J
Jt2nd Offline OP
OP Offline
J
I forgot to mention the resonance of the Kawai ES 110. The simulated string resonances with sustain pedal depressed are very realistic especially in the top octave .

_
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
_
Originally Posted by Jt2nd
I forgot to mention the resonance of the Kawai ES 110. The simulated string resonances with sustain pedal depressed are very realistic especially in the top octave .

What string resonance of the ES110? https://www.kawai-global.com/product_comparison/detail.php?n=es120,es110&ct=36

C
3000 Post Club Member
Online Content
3000 Post Club Member
C
Well, they call it "Damper Resonance" and Jt2nd wrote "string resonances with sustain pedal depressed".

Just a difference in terminology.

9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
I was surprised how well they sounded. seems to me the resonances all sound the same, whatever piano voice one selects, as it did for my P515, and indeed, Pianoteq.
Might be wrong about that last one, but y'know guys, sometimes i can get too fussy . . . usuallly when I have nothing better to do.

"I am not a man. I am a free number"

"[Linked Image]"
J
Jt2nd Offline OP
OP Offline
J
I mentioned resonance and in the next sentence called it simulated string resonance . We all know the digitals have no actual strings. But I am taking the word of the piano demonstrator . He liked it better than the Roland which seemed to just add the same hissing sound . These pianos (not real ones ) are steadily improving .The notes sound better too with recordings .
The resonance sounds normal and pleasant if you play a real piano but on a digital we don`t need them for tuning octaves etc . One less headache .

Last edited by Jt2nd; 06/17/22 11:56 AM.
J
Jt2nd Offline OP
OP Offline
J
If you look at shop adverts and technical descriptions for the Kawai ES 110 there is no mention about temperaments on this piano. You can discover music from hundreds of years ago in the original tunings . But modern sales people are only interested in Gigs . How pathetic . Billions of pounds and dollars are spent on space telescopes to find out how the universe was created millions of years ago . But in the music world anything before 1917 can be binned . The space telescopes may find "habitable planets". The closest star to Earth with a planet which might be habitable would take a one way trip of 81,000 years . But music history can all be smudged over with Equal Temperament ,as if anyone cares .

P
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
P
I think it better to judge damper resonance realism on your own rather then trust a certain review comparing two DPs that failed to mention one diesnt have string resonance and one does.

Interesting to note the es120 does along with a bunch of other design parameters

Es120 versus es110

FP-90x, PX-330
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Jt2nd
If you look at shop adverts and technical descriptions for the Kawai ES 110 there is no mention about temperaments on this piano. You can discover music from hundreds of years ago in the original tunings . But modern sales people are only interested in Gigs . How pathetic . Billions of pounds and dollars are spent on space telescopes to find out how the universe was created millions of years ago . But in the music world anything before 1917 can be binned . The space telescopes may find "habitable planets". The closest star to Earth with a planet which might be habitable would take a one way trip of 81,000 years . But music history can all be smudged over with Equal Temperament ,as if anyone cares .

Well now; the ES110 possesses seven temperaments! Listed they are, on the handy single sheet Operations Guide. So you can reproduce Gothic and Tudor historics, Gregorian chants and goodness knows what else.
But woe betide you if you play them in the wrong key . . . .

"I am not a man. I am a free number"

"[Linked Image]"
J
Jt2nd Offline OP
OP Offline
J
peterws Very good point about different keys . The composers must have realised what the key limits were when they composed . Writing music down on paper with a key signature is a clear indication that this should sound good if you stick to that key. A large written hint for future reference that this is not for improvisation in other keys . I have no problem with that . The composer`s date of death ( getting morbid now ) will tell you the likeliest temperaments to work best . Anyone delving into the history of music from ancient China to today should realise that the baked in difficulties are part of nature and cannot be swept away with a set of log tables . Nature is extremely complicated .You can run and you can hide ,but nature will still get you . Historical temperaments could be represented by Switzerland .All ups and downs and if you go the wrong way you might fall off a cliff. Equal temperament could be represented by Australia . Not enough big mountains and a very flat arid landscape (not totally Aussies ). Less chance of falling down a mountain . More chance of mice ,snakes and spiders .

J
Jt2nd Offline OP
OP Offline
J
The big mystery to me is where do all these improvisers come from . Usually keen improvisers put things on forums and they don`t attract a lot of attention . It`s clever enough but over rated .

Moderated by  Piano World 

Link Copied to Clipboard
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
Piano Buyer - Read the Articles, Explore the website
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Line outs recording vs USB recording
by PianoStartsAt33 - 08/10/22 09:33 AM
I'm playing in a special recital!
by Sam S - 08/10/22 09:25 AM
Great Piano Tutorial
by Bart K - 08/10/22 03:54 AM
Piano mindset
by pablobear - 08/10/22 01:37 AM
Boston UP-118S opinions
by skern49 - 08/09/22 11:13 PM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
What's Hot!!
FREE June Newsletter is Here!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
-------------------
Music Store Going Out of Business Sale!
---------------------
Mr. PianoWorld's Original Composition
---------------------
Sell Your Piano on our world famous Piano Forums!
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics214,326
Posts3,215,216
Members106,055
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | MapleStreetMusicShop.com - Our store in Cornish Maine

© copyright 1997 - 2022 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission