2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
64 members (Christopher90, danno858, Damien PG, CentauriB, clothearednincompo, 36251, Carey, anotherscott, 11 invisible), 838 guests, and 337 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#3223755 06/10/22 08:40 PM
C
Coda52 Offline OP
OP Offline
C
We have two Grand piano's and are looking for 2 digital pianos to add

The first one 1. Needs to have nice 'organ' sounds
2. Must be a console and nice looking in an auditorium
3. Needs to also have good piano sounds (rarely used)
4. Needs to have weighted keys

The second one 1. Needs to have nice 'instrumental' sounds
3. Needs to also have good piano sounds (rarely used

Priced under $10, 000.

Thank you

E
EPW Online Content
1000 Post Club Member
Online Content
1000 Post Club Member
E
I would look at going a controller and a Mac-mini with MainStage for the organ and instrument sounds myself. If you want it to be a console make a cabinet.

All these years playing and I still consider myself a novice.
C
3000 Post Club Member
Online Content
3000 Post Club Member
C
Some options are:

Yamaha Clavinova CVP series models. Some are under 10k. All have many instrument sounds in addition to piano and also accompaniment styles and a usable UI for accessing all the sounds and features.

[Linked Image]

Some Yamaha Clavinova CLP models also have many non-piano sounds. Usually the more expensive ones have more. The CLP-785 looks more or less like an acoustic upright piano and the CLP-775 has the typical "front of a grand" look with the music rest on the top. The 775 is more limited in sounds. If a Yamaha mentions "XG voices" then that means a large palette of 480 instruments sounds, but they are kind of "additional extra" and the quality is what it is. Decent at least.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Often some church organs are included in the digital piano main sound set. Sometimes a "smaller" organ sound may be missing. Kawai has quite a nice palette in some models. An alternative to the "XG" is "GM2" (as in General MIDI level 2). It's also a standardized sound set with a few church (and other) organ sounds and is found in some models from many brands in addition to the main sound set. Sometimes it may exist only for MIDI file playback and other times the sounds are selectable for normal playing too.

Kawai also has the "upright" style CA99 and many other "front of a grand" models in the CA and CN series.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

They have many sound samples e.g. on SoundCloud. Here's one playlist including samples of the organ sounds. (Not all found in all models.)

https://soundcloud.com/kawai-global/sets/harmonic-imaging-xl-audio-demos

Roland is of course worth looking at. Their LX series has upright looking pianos with powerful sound systems and the HP series models look similar to many of the Yamahas and Kawais. At least some models have over 300 various instrument sounds i.e. the main ones and then the GM2 sound set.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Casio's Celviano GP-510 would fall into the "looks nice in a church" category.

[Linked Image]

It's a decent digital piano with some additional sounds, but the total number is only 35 and many are piano sounds, so it may not have the ones you are after.

A slighty less known brand is Dexibell, but they've been around for many years already and have a lot of former staff from Roland's former European facilities. Currently their VIVO H10 and H5 models are the more "substantial looking" ones. There's a "somewhat of a grand" and a "somewhat of an upright" design but their designs don't really replicate their acoustic counterparts.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Dexibell is one of the rare digital pianos enabling uploading of additional sounds. (Another one is Nord with their stage focused pianos) Dexibell has a library of their own extra sounds and also so called "sound fonts" can be used and found from the internet. (Not limited to Dexibell's offering.)

They have sounds samples of the built-in sounds under "Demos" and the library of additional sounds on the right side of the product page:

https://www.dexibell.com/prodotto/vivo-h10/?lang=en

I think there's just one (albeit good) church organ sound so far, so it's quite limited.

Then of course with any of these models a potential problem is the maximum sound output from the built-in speakers. Is it enough for the space? That's one thing to remember.

And are the organ sounds actually any good. 😀

P
5000 Post Club Member
Online Content
5000 Post Club Member
P
Just one tiny, itsy-bitsy critique on the “high-end” Dexibells (VIVO H10 etc…).

Why on earth would they use such a nice finish/design for the cabinet, but then cheapen the ‘area around the keys’, so that it looks like someone stuffed a cheap slab into a nice & shiny cabinet?

There’s a major disconnect here, design-wise, and it sticks out like a sore thumb.

_
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
_
Originally Posted by Coda52
The first one 1. Needs to have nice 'organ' sounds

By "Weighted keys" you mean hammer action? Organs tend to have it, and "waterfall" key tips may be preferred (without the notch). And drawbars may be required?

P
P
Note that many digital pianos only look good when put against a wall. The backs often look like a cheap IKEA assemblies. Screws and cables, unfinished surfaces, sometimes not even painted in the same color as the front and sides.

There are some (rare and expensive) exceptions, for example Kawai CA99, Kawai NV5/NV5S, Kawai DG30, Yamaha N3/N3X.

Think about where the piano will be placed and check if that works well with the model of your choice.

P
P
About your criteria: I'd also look for audio line-out. It may be crucial to play in your setting, but not every model has that.

Ubu Offline
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
If organ and orchestral sounds are the primary concern over piano sounds, there would be many options among stage pianos. But as it must also come in cabinet style, the only model that fits the requirements is yamaha cvp line.

E
EPW Online Content
1000 Post Club Member
Online Content
1000 Post Club Member
E
That is why I suggested looking at slab pianos.

All these years playing and I still consider myself a novice.
M
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
M
Consider the Kawai NV5S, it's a hybrid so it has a keyboard action that's closer to an acoustic piano than most digitals. Since you have 2 grand pianos, it might be easier to switch back and forth. Unlike most digital cabinets it also looks nice from the back because it has a small soundboard instead of the usual black cardboard look. And it has a speaker system that might be adequate without connecting to a sound system.

Yamaha P90, Kawai GL-10
S
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
S
Originally Posted by Coda52
We have two Grand piano's and are looking for 2 digital pianos to add

The first one
1. Needs to have nice 'organ' sounds

The second one

1. Needs to have nice 'instrumental' sounds

Priced under $10, 000.

Thank you

Why do you want weighted keys for instruments that will be rarely used for pianos but generally play organ and instrumental sounds?

What type of organ sounds do you want (pipe organ, Hammond B3, etc)?

Repertoire interests: early Baroque through early Romantic eras.
T
T
Originally Posted by Sweelinck
Why do you want weighted keys for instruments that will be rarely used for pianos but generally play organ and instrumental sounds?

What type of organ sounds do you want (pipe organ, Hammond B3, etc)?

These are the really important questions. For the OP: one, by "organ" do you mean traditional church organ (i.e., pipe organ) sounds? If so, even the highest quality digital piano is practically useless, because the organ isn't the same instrument at all, and those sounds can't be played properly from a digital piano. If, on the other hand, you mean Hammond organ sounds (and similar), a few digital pianos or synths can replicate those well enough for use in the context of an ensemble (i.e., if it's for a praise band or the like, although a true hardcore Hammond organ player, like a traditional church organist, will want to have the two manuals and the pedalboard of a console Hammond).

And two, Sweelinck's question about the action is spot on. I occasionally try to play Hammond or orchestral samples through my Roland digital piano, and although the sounds are generally quite good, the playing experience is very disappointing. The hammer action is top-notch for simulating a grand piano for practice (which is the main reason I own a Roland FP series instrument), but for playing things like orchestral samples -- or organ & synth sounds -- I generally want a lighter action (I'm also an organist, so I'm used to going back and forth between different types of action for different things). Playing with hammer action keys in order to get lush string sounds feels like such a disconnect! Why a piano-like action for those sounds?

Moderated by  Piano World 

Link Copied to Clipboard
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
Piano Buyer - Read the Articles, Explore the website
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Line outs recording vs USB recording
by PianoStartsAt33 - 08/10/22 09:33 AM
I'm playing in a special recital!
by Sam S - 08/10/22 09:25 AM
Great Piano Tutorial
by Bart K - 08/10/22 03:54 AM
Piano mindset
by pablobear - 08/10/22 01:37 AM
Boston UP-118S opinions
by skern49 - 08/09/22 11:13 PM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
What's Hot!!
FREE June Newsletter is Here!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
-------------------
Music Store Going Out of Business Sale!
---------------------
Mr. PianoWorld's Original Composition
---------------------
Sell Your Piano on our world famous Piano Forums!
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics214,326
Posts3,215,204
Members106,055
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | MapleStreetMusicShop.com - Our store in Cornish Maine

© copyright 1997 - 2022 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission