2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
52 members (Andrew E., CraiginNZ, bob@pei, Bruce In Philly, astrotoy, accordeur, 10 invisible), 2,059 guests, and 280 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
G
GregR Offline OP
OP Offline
G
I've started shopping for a large upright or sub $20k grand (used) and have not had a positive experience with most of the U* uprights and G* grands I've tried. I can only describe the tone as sounding like it's coming from inside a wood box (not much overtones, not singing). The ages of the pianos were all over the map, in different rooms and dealers, and the older ones were definitely worse. I tried different amounts of lid-openness as well. I'm comparing the sound against similarly priced models from Kawai (RX-2), W.Gotrian uprights, etc.

However, the C, CX, and SX models I tried did not have this problem at all. Is this just how those Yamaha uprights and G models sound?

Gold Supporter until Nov 1 2022
1000 Post Club Member

Gold Supporter until Nov 1 2022
1000 Post Club Member
It really depends on the piano. If not properly voiced, I've noticed some Yamahas that sound super bright and tinny, but again I think that is a voicing issue. I tried a Kawai GS30 that sounded super bright as well, yet a well-voiced one can be very warm and round as many Kawais tend to be in my experience. Here is a G3 that sounds decent, although he does add some reverb in post:

Last edited by Emery Wang; 05/23/22 07:52 PM.

Daily driver: Yamaha Avantgrand N1
First crush: Kawai GL10, MP11SE
Current fling: Petrof III
Foster child: 1927 Kurtzmann upright
G
GregR Offline OP
OP Offline
G
Thanks. I'm wondering if some of this is the sound while playing versus the sound away from the piano?

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by GregR
Thanks. I'm wondering if some of this is the sound while playing versus the sound away from the piano?
One mic is about a foot above the hammers. Who knows if there are ambient mics, and there is definitely post recording processing.

7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
I am a fan of Yamaha pianos but I played a lot of crummy-sounding ones during my search. That doesn’t mean there’s something wrong with Yamaha or “the Yamaha sound.”

Greg, you’re talking about used U and G Yamahas that you’ve played? If they’re used, they probably need some attention they’re not getting. A lot of people don’t realize that there’s more to piano maintenance than just tuning.

What you’re seeing (hearing) might even be something weird like a correlation between C-owners, having paid more at the outset, taking better care of their pianos than G-owners.

What you don’t know is how those pianos would sound after some good TLC, but if you don’t like the sound to start with, it’s not worth the risk.

Started piano June 1999.
Proud owner of a Yamaha C2

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
Not everyone likes a particular model or brand, and that's sort of the beauty of having choices in the market. With your budget, the interesting and not-often-mentioned (in the US) world of new and recently-made used, high-end vertical pianos from Europe, Japan, and the US is available to you. And there will be somewhat more pedestrian offerings available in the grand piano side of things, but you will again have some options, also.

I've played some really nice, new U series uprights. And of course their upper-level YUS ones, but they're expensive. The GB/GC series grands aren't really special to me, but I am admittedly a piano snob. And I haven't spent much time at all, playing a GC2.

Pianist, teacher, apprentice technician, internet addict.
Piano Review Editor - Acoustic and Digital Piano Buyer
M
M
I am not a fan of Yamaha sound. I have played extensively a U1 (boxy) and a C5 (super duper bright and somewhat thin). Keyboard is excellent but I just don't like the timbre. With that money I would look somewhere else, possibly a gently used German grand . .

As far as I know only jazz people, nothing against them, like the Yamaha sound . ..

7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
As far as I know only jazz people, nothing against them, like the Yamaha sound

This is an inaccurate statement. A lot of people like the Yamaha sound, this cuts across a variety of genres, including classical.

Started piano June 1999.
Proud owner of a Yamaha C2

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Platinum Subscriber
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Platinum Subscriber
Originally Posted by ShiroKuro
As far as I know only jazz people, nothing against them, like the Yamaha sound

This is an inaccurate statement. A lot of people like the Yamaha sound, this cuts across a variety of genres, including classical.

I agree with ShiroKuro. We rent a CFX (Yamaha's concert grand) to classical performances all the time - at least a couple times each month. We also sell a great number of Yamaha pianos to classical musicians and to Universites who teach classical musicians.

Originally Posted by marklings
I have played extensively a U1 (boxy) and a C5 (super duper bright and somewhat thin).

While I do not deny your experience marklings, please listen to this video we made just a few months ago of the Yamaha C5x. I don't think anyone would call the tone bright and thin:

Rich Galassini
Cunningham Piano Company
Visit one of our four locations
(215) 991-0834 direct
rich@cunninghampiano.com
Learn more about the Matchless Cunningham
C
C
Richter became a Yamaha artist towards the end of his career (and he's about as heavy as they come in the world of Classical pianists). I figure the CF series is probably right up there with the best pianos when it comes to playing Classical. But I think you can still hear some extra, signature Yamaha brightness in the tone, compared to something from, for example Bechstein, Steinway, or Bosendorfer.

1978 Bösendorfer 225 (restoration)
1984 Yamaha U1 (gray market)
S
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
S
When I was weighing up whether to buy my S7X, I played Fazioli and Steinway and did not really feel they were "better", but obviously different. The only pianos that were clearly nicer in some ways were the Bosendorfers, though with the downside that they were less powerful.

My strong suspicion is that for classical concerts Yamaha is the second most popular piano of choice. So it's certainly not true that Yamaha is only suitable for jazz. I have heard the CFX many times at the Mannes International Keyboard Festival, and I think it's an incredible piano.

G
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
G
Originally Posted by GregR
However, the C, CX, and SX models I tried did not have this problem at all. Is this just how those Yamaha uprights and G models sound?

We all like different things and I have a Kawai now - but try to play a Yamaha SE132 upright which (at least the one we considered) had a different and lovely tone which stood up to pretty much anything.

B
BDB Offline
B
You have been looking at used pianos that have had varying amounts of care during their service life. What you have learned is that you need to remember that it takes service to keep a piano sounding nice, which is why I say that finding a good technician is often more important and more difficult than finding a good piano. Without a good sculptor, a block of marble is just a slab of rock. Without a good technician, a piano is just a box with levers that makes noise.

Semipro Tech
T
T
Rich, please explain what is V3? version 3?
so how it is different from the previous C5X?

Platinum Subscriber
Platinum Subscriber
Originally Posted by tirta
Rich, please explain what is V3? version 3?
so how it is different from the previous C5X?

I am so sorry. This is the third version of the VIDEO! (I should probably change that). In other words, it is the third draft of the video edit.

V3 has nothing to do with the C5x at all. Again, sorry to confuse anybody.

Rich Galassini
Cunningham Piano Company
Visit one of our four locations
(215) 991-0834 direct
rich@cunninghampiano.com
Learn more about the Matchless Cunningham
S
1000 Post Club Member
Online Content
1000 Post Club Member
S
Originally Posted by marklings
I am not a fan of Yamaha sound. I have played extensively a U1 (boxy) and a C5 (super duper bright and somewhat thin). Keyboard is excellent but I just don't like the timbre. With that money I would look somewhere else, possibly a gently used German grand . .
As far as I know only jazz people, nothing against them, like the Yamaha sound . ..

yamaha instruments have a bunch of different sounds - depending on model, tuning/configuration etc. When lots of professionals (and some big time professionals) like yamaha, then it just becomes a case of their word against your word. Also, a lot people out there - in general - like yamaha sounds.

Also --- for the OP -- the 'try before buy' is a nice idea. Also taking into account that pianos can be tuned and configured/re-configured) - and how it sounds can depend on the surroundings and own ears and preferences etc.

S
1000 Post Club Member
Online Content
1000 Post Club Member
S
If the piano sounds a certain 'way' at the store - then one option is to also ask the professionals at the store if they are noticing what you notice. And then the professionals at the store will most likely mention a few things - such as options for reconfiguration, or their opinion about it. When there are people out there that say that yamaha instruments of various sorts sounds very nice to them, then it means that a significant number of people like yamaha sounds (of various sorts of their instruments) - so it can be a preference aspect, which can also involving configuration/tuning/setup.

C
C
Steinway and Yamaha are also louder, overall (for their size)...and most venues will avoid miking a piano if they can.

1978 Bösendorfer 225 (restoration)
1984 Yamaha U1 (gray market)
Originally Posted by chromaticvortex
Steinway and Yamaha are also louder, overall (for their size)...and most venues will avoid miking a piano if they can.
I've never heard anyone claim that unless you're thinking of the Steinway D, and it certainly does not match my experience with those makers for their non concert models.

Last edited by pianoloverus; 05/25/22 06:54 PM.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Ken Knapp, Piano World 

Link Copied to Clipboard
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
Piano Buyer - Read the Articles, Explore the website
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Clavinova CVP-203 as master keyboard
by manednews - 06/25/22 09:04 PM
"B" is not a beginner's key ?
by Charles Cohen - 06/25/22 07:35 PM
Mendelssohn Op. 54 Variation #13
by Ardith - 06/25/22 07:19 PM
New Yamaha Synth Coming?!
by Doug M. - 06/25/22 03:30 PM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
What's Hot!!
FREE June Newsletter is Here!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
-------------------
Music Store Going Out of Business Sale!
---------------------
Mr. PianoWorld's Original Composition
---------------------
Sell Your Piano on our world famous Piano Forums!
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics213,668
Posts3,203,268
Members105,644
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | MapleStreetMusicShop.com - Our store in Cornish Maine

© copyright 1997 - 2022 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission