2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
47 members (Cheeeeee, CharlesXX, Aleks_MG, accordeur, brdwyguy, Carey, AlkansBookcase, 20/20 Vision, Charles Cohen, 6 invisible), 2,096 guests, and 341 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
Ian,
I would not use ESN on bridge pins. Thats because Molybdenum is best for metal to metal friction. Thats what i use for bridge caps on my rebuilds, Great stuff. Todd Scott swears by using Sailkote on bridge pins and on the strings where it crosses over felt, when he goes to work on pianos in peoples homes. Sailkote goes on wet but it leaves a dry white film behind. Maybe its Teflon? I dont know.
Silicone is also known to have a little creeping factor, but i think this trait is what makes it more ideal for the center pin bushings, might not be good for bridge pins though.
-chris

W
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
W
Thanks, Chris. Molybdenum sounds a much better idea. I'll try that. Interesting to hear Todd Scott thinks treating the string over the felt makes a difference. No reason why not.

Ian Russell
Schiedmayer & Soehne, 1925 Model 14, 140cm
Ibach, 1905 F-IV, 235cm
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
As a chemist, I can by no stretch of the imagination confirm the notion that ethyl acetate is "safe on your skin". I even have doubts that is is somehow "safer" than acetone, but I would have to do some more detailed reading on comparing their toxicity mechanisms.

The obvious difference is miscibility / solubility in water (high for acetone, low for EA) and polarity (high for acetone, intermediate for EA). But that aside, both are used in nail polish removers, both are potent degreasers and volatile solvents, and as a chemist, I treat them both with equal respect.

That aside, I'd certainly keep naphtha (the main part of Chris's mix) off my skin. All petroleum distillates, even aliphatic ones, have health risks.

Autodidact interested in piano technology.
1970 44" Ibach, daily music maker.
1977 "Ortega" 8' + 8' harpsichord (Rainer Schütze, Heidelberg)
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
By all means, take all precautions when handling these chemicals. I keep mine in a squeeze bottle that easily transfers the fluid to a hypo oiler. An 8oz bottle will probably last years for most people since so little is used when needed.

On my way to my desk, I walked past my wife's makeup station. I couldn't help but wonder how many toxic chemicals are in those products.
Chris.

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Chernobieff Piano
By all means, take all precautions when handling these chemicals. I keep mine in a squeeze bottle that easily transfers the fluid to a hypo oiler. An 8oz bottle will probably last years for most people since so little is used when needed.

On my way to my desk, I walked past my wife's makeup station. I couldn't help but wonder how many toxic chemicals are in those products.
Chris.
I mostly use natural things 🤷‍♂️
Yes there are many bad chemicals in those products 😳

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Gombessa
GOMBESSa,
Everything you mentioned is the same thing, a metal pin rotating or sliding against a cloth bushing

Sounds like it can be used in most of these, then? Curious, can you estimate how much of a change is possible in terms of lightening up an action by using this? Or is it less about lightening the existing friction uh==in an action and more about maintaining current levels?

Gombessa, as someone who has been experimenting on the issue of how to lighten's one action for a few years now (on my own pianos), I have found lightening the hammers to be the most effective by far. However, this assumes everything else is at the correct friction level. If you have sticking hammer shank centerpins, for example, then freeing those centers using something like Chris's solution should help a lot. It all depends on how badly the action centers are sticking. Per Bill Spurlock, these are the main sources of friction:

"The main sources of friction for actions in good adjustment are, in order of decreasing amount, the knuckle, the hammershank centerpin, wippen centerpin, key bushings, and the capstan."

Doing a swing test on your hammer shanks is pretty easy. I'm not sure how to test proper wippen centerpin friction, but hitting each pin with Chris's solution can't hurt. However, unless you have excess friction in the system, a lube job alone won't do much to lighten the feel of the action.

Last edited by Emery Wang; 05/23/22 04:42 PM.

Main battle axe: Yamaha N1
Living room axe: 1999 Petrof III
Road axe: Yamaha P515
Office axe: 1927 Kurtzmann upright
Neighbor's axe that used to be my axe: Kawai GL10
R.I.P. axe: Kawai MP11SE
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
Hi Emery,
Check this out for flange torque testing. Since this was so successful, Ive ditched the swing test for hammers and all of the gram gauges.
-chris

Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Online Content
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Hi Emery,
Check this out for flange torque testing. Since this was so successful, Ive ditched the swing test for hammers and all of the gram gauges.
-chris

Another great video, Chris!

That still seems like a lot of work, when you think about having to do it 88 times. smile

All the best!

Rick

Piano enthusiast and amateur musician: "Treat others the way you would like to be treated". Yamaha C7. YouTube Channel
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Very cool Chris. I hope you have a lot of audiobooks!

Main battle axe: Yamaha N1
Living room axe: 1999 Petrof III
Road axe: Yamaha P515
Office axe: 1927 Kurtzmann upright
Neighbor's axe that used to be my axe: Kawai GL10
R.I.P. axe: Kawai MP11SE
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Gombessa, Piano World, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Recommended Songs for Beginners
by FreddyM - 04/16/24 03:20 PM
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,392
Posts3,349,293
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission