2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
65 members (Andrew E., anotherscott, bluebilly, 36251, Acetach, AJB, 23 invisible), 724 guests, and 241 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
S
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
S
Originally Posted by keystring
We're probably on a similar page.
Speaking from experience, having a messed up background in any way can be worse than a beginner. the OP is not in the same place, or with the same attitudes or goals that I have, or some people I've interacted with have had (that is also becoming increasingly clear). Overall, any wrong premises that we start with can create a bigger mess than never having played at all, and starting from scratch say at a late age.

+100. Totally agree with you KS. Thanks for mentioning details of that video! That was a good lesson for that guy in the vid hahaha. Nice one!

(ad)
Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
Try B major scale, this guy know what he is talking about, all black keys!!! Easier than C major.

Pianist Academy.

Piano primate amateur
M
mrakus Offline OP
OP Offline
M
Originally Posted by SouthPark
All is good. I knew where you were coming from. You'll be fine.

Thank you. smile

Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Online Content
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Swede
Try B major scale, this guy know what he is talking about, all black keys!!! Easier than C major.

Pianist Academy.

This is an excellent training video. In fact, I know more about the B scale myself! smile

Very helpful! Thanks for posting!

Rick

Piano enthusiast and amateur musician: "Treat others the way you would like to be treated". Yamaha C7. YouTube Channel
J
J
The original question suddenly became more difficult as soon as an answer appeared so I can tell you how I managed without offering it as any kind of cure. That makes it simpler because I won`t need to move you either left or right . I already knew how to read music but the piano itself is very different to a violin . So here is what I did . I pick a composition with one flat in the key signature . That is on the middle line which is where the B note lives.So every time you see a B in the music just play the black note to the left of B. That applies for the whole keyboard . B in that composition is a flat note . It can be neutralised by a natural sign . So it becomes a white note B again till the end of the bar .
The method is simple even if you play with 5 flats or 5 sharps . Just memorise at the beginning which black notes you need .Just play them and count them up first .
You will never get a key signature with sharps and flats mixed together .It`s all flats or all sharps .
If you don`t like the idea just stay in the key of C all your life . Decision time for you . Your choice . It`s the only way on this forum .Worked out and evolved for hundreds of years (just to annoy you ). No I`m only joking . Not just to annoy you .It`s to annoy every beginner who will fight tooth and nail to resist .

Last edited by Jt2nd; 05/21/22 07:00 PM. Reason: Clarification
J
J
If you get bored with the key of C you may not like Equal Temperament tuning . If you have a digital piano try some different temperaments .They will make a big change to your listening . A lot of players don`t know about Unequal Temperaments because it`s all drifted away over the years and been submerged by ,basically, production control and lack of cooperation from piano tuners . The key of C will sound like all the other keys because the intervals between notes is exactly the same . A different key is just higher or lower . Musically it makes no difference whatever the key is . This is the elephant in the piano living room .

M
mrakus Offline OP
OP Offline
M
My P121 has no tunings. I was hesitant when buying it, but then my thinking was that some tunings I like might sound better with the chords around the base note on the circle of fifths and worse away from the base note, so I was not really sure. While playing I would not want to change the tuning's base note, so I bought the P121 regardless. I do love tunings. There was onced a rap song (sadly forgot the name) with a viola sample where a certain tuning ocurred (don't know what really happened in that sample) and I found that sample to be absolutely fascinating.

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
Piano Buyer - Read the Articles, Explore the website
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Future-proof-ness of a silent acoustic grand
by Falsch - 07/06/22 08:03 AM
Haessler
by PianistEsq - 07/06/22 12:05 AM
Garritan CFX sustain problem
by mwf - 07/05/22 11:29 PM
First digital piano for my almost 6 year-old son.
by New2music - 07/05/22 10:54 PM
What Level is this Arrangement?
by showard - 07/05/22 09:36 PM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
What's Hot!!
FREE June Newsletter is Here!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
-------------------
Music Store Going Out of Business Sale!
---------------------
Mr. PianoWorld's Original Composition
---------------------
Sell Your Piano on our world famous Piano Forums!
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics213,824
Posts3,205,791
Members105,732
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | MapleStreetMusicShop.com - Our store in Cornish Maine

© copyright 1997 - 2022 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission