2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
42 members (bwv543, Andre Fadel, Animisha, alexcomoda, benkeys, Burkhard, 20/20 Vision, 10 invisible), 1,172 guests, and 282 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
N
N
Originally Posted by HZPiano
Originally Posted by CraiginNZ
Just "close" to excellent? You're a hard person to please :-)

😋 Oops, guilty as charged!

Originally Posted by CraiginNZ
I agree that it's odd Ravenscroft didn't partner with VILabs on this. That would be about as close to a sure thing as you get in the sampling world, I imagine.

Yes. From the first not so favorable responses here on this 220, it seems to be a huge missed opportunity for Ravenscroft Pianos and (perhaps) VI Labs. Of course we don't know what is going on in their minds and/or what VI Labs currently is up to.

Cheers and happy playing,

HZ

Yeah, I have to assume there was at least a sensible reason not to go with VI Labs on this one. Or it might've been something as simple as the fact that Prime Studios ordered a Ravenscroft 220 and figured "why don't we sample it?"

D
D
I have been speaking to Arthur Collins recently via email who is of VI Labs Support and he did confirm to me that they are currently working on an update for the Ravenscroft 275 although they cannot confirm an official release date.

So, something is definitely in the works which is long overdue in my opinion as the Ravenscroft 275 has needed an update for some time. I hope they actually record in the same space as the Modern U to be honest with you as I feel the Modern U has the perfect balance of room and dryness needed to make it versatile in any playing scenario.

Last edited by David P Osborne; 05/07/22 03:00 PM.
H
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
H
Hello,

@David P Osborne, That would be exciting news!

That would be a complete redoing of R275? Or a completely new virtual instrument of a different piano?

In any case, yes the way and the room in which the U3 was sampled works a treat and technically (scripting for instance) it should at least have Modern U quality.

Modern U is great -- it is the only virtual instrument so far that I can actually use for my everyday playing and have the illusion of a real instrument with. Without it, digital just wouldn't have gotten feasible for me.

Cheers and happy anticipation,

HZ

N
N
Originally Posted by David P Osborne
I have been speaking to Arthur Collins recently via email who is of VI Labs Support and he did confirm to me that they are currently working on an update for the Ravenscroft 275 although they cannot confirm an official release date.

So, something is definitely in the works which is long overdue in my opinion as the Ravenscroft 275 has needed an update for some time. I hope they actually record in the same space as the Modern U to be honest with you as I feel the Modern U has the perfect balance of room and dryness needed to make it versatile in any playing scenario.

That's amazing news! I cannot wait to see what it is. I wholeheartedly agree with HZPiano that the Modern U is the most convincing "I'm at the piano" VST, besides perhaps some binaural recordings

The Modern U has the best sympathetic resonance engine of any sampled piano I've used, so I'm hoping that is maintained for VI Labs' next project.

Last edited by napilopez; 05/07/22 05:37 PM.
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member

Awesome!

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Great news!. I will save some cash for it... I hope they offer an upgrade path to current Ravenscroft 275 owners

Jose

Yamaha U3H
Kawai VPC1
...plus some other DPs, synths, controllers and VSTs

[Linked Image]
D
D
The new scripting from Modern U into the R275 would be fantastic it really is a superior vat on every level and the Mites Strikes are phenomenal, they really are. The Modern U has such am organic feel to it. Whilst it still has that raw sound to it it is still very well rounded and full and it can be used for so many different styles of play.

The biggest problem for the R275 is the other mics aside from the close mic, they sound and feel a little off and the soundstage doesn't feel right even more so when blended together, that is its biggest downfall for me.
The CPU usage on the R275 is more resourceful though as I find the Modern U can be a little CPU hungry for some.reason....

I am also in the market for a new controller... I have a Roland A88 but I am finding a little too gummy as of recent and want something with a better action... I am currently in between the A88 MK2 or the VPC1 which I used to own but swapped it out for the A88 when I bought Keyscape haha oh the irony eh... So I am familiar with the VPC1 but I have heard the VPC1 does not work too great with Keyscape....

Any thoughts or ideas?

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
The fact that it is a Kontakt (incl. Player) instrument also puzzles me. The really superb pianos all run on/in other platforms.

No sound examples, no videos to be found.

One of my favorite virtual piano is Bechstein Digital Grand and it is a Kontakt library… (however, I prefer to use a separated reverb instead of its).

There are some videos… https://www.the220vi.com/Ravenscroft-220-VI-Lite/RAV-220-VI-Lite (click Listen).

Last edited by Frédéric L; 05/08/22 04:50 PM.

http://www.sinerj.org/
http://humeur-synthe.sinerj.org/
Yamaha N1X, Bechstein Digital Grand, Garritan CFX, Ivory II pianos, Galaxy pianos, EWQL Pianos, Native-Instrument The Definitive Piano Collection, Soniccouture Hammersmith, Truekeys, Pianoteq
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Kontakt has a long list of high quality piano libraries with unique sound from 8Dio, Bechstein, Chocolate Audio, Best Service (Galaxy), Fluffy Audio, Embertone, Orchestral Tools, Impact Soundworks, NI, Wavesfactory, Production Voices.

Non-Kontakt list is much shorter - VSL, Garritan, EastWest, SONiVOX, Synthogy (Ivory), VI Labs, Whole Sounds.

Wise men speak because they have something to say; Fools because they have to say something. (falsely attributed to Plato)
Vlad,
Adult beginner
P
P
The "Lite" version pictured costs €154.80, runs in Kontakt or free Kontakt Player, 25GB size, 12 velocity layers, 16,000 samples at 16 bit 44.1kHz (down-converted from 32 bit 192kHz), based on Ravenscroft 220 model 7 foot 3 inch grand piano. Does includes Sympathetic String Resonance and Pedal Resonance so it might be a serious contender. So far only the "Lite" version is on sale. Presumably at some future point they will release their more expensive Prime Studio Ravenscroft 220 full version (listed on website, but TBA, price unknown) which should have a few more mic positions and probably more velocity layers. Interesting...

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

YouTube demos... (it's the same short jazz excerpt each time, rendered with 4 different factory tone settings...)

L
OP Offline
L
seems like this is not popular at all as nobody else has bought this?
Ravenscroft should have partnered up with VI Labs... I'm sure it would have resulted in more customers :P

Currently: NU1X
Previously: VPC-1 / CA-58 / CA-98 / CA-79
T
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
T
Did they scrap the full version? It seems to have disappeared from their website.

H
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
H
Originally Posted by Taushi
Did they scrap the full version? It seems to have disappeared from their website.

It has indeed. I saw it on the site for a brief moment but then it was gone.

Cheers,

HZ

C
C
Originally Posted by Taushi

It has indeed. I saw it on the site for a brief moment but then it was gone.

Cheers,

HZ

It's there now, along with a comparison page:

https://www.the220vi.com/Ravenscroft-220-VI/RAV-220-VI

https://www.the220vi.com/Ravenscroft-220-VI/Ravenscroft-220-VI-Comparison/

The Lite version has 2 mic sets (Close & LFE, which I think refers to Low Frequency Effects) x 2 sample sets (Modern & Vintage)

Pianist, Composer & Arranger
H
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
H
Originally Posted by Craig Richards
It's there now, along with a comparison page

Aha! And there's a little more background presented there now as well.

All in all, I'm still far from sure what to think of it.

I'd like to again extend the message to most sample-based piano VI producers that a decent, friendly way to thoroughly try/test before committing to a purchase is essential. Even more so at this price level.

Cheers,

HZ

C
C

I'd like to again extend the message to most sample-based piano VI producers that a decent, friendly way to thoroughly try/test before committing to a purchase is essential. Even more so at this price level.

Cheers,

HZ

+1 smile

Last edited by Craig Richards; 05/21/22 07:03 AM.

Pianist, Composer & Arranger
D
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
D
The fact they only have one demo piece, a blues / jazz piece at that, is making me very suspicious about this library.

J
J
Originally Posted by David Lai
The fact they only have one demo piece, a blues / jazz piece at that, is making me very suspicious about this library.
yeah, automatically don't trust it

Yamaha YUS5 TA2 // NI Noire // since 10-2020 // ABRSM 3 Dist // RCM Level 4 (43%)

Thank you very much for this good news. I like the R275 more than Modern U.

Yamaha P 525
VSL D-274 , BI and CFX, NI Komplete Ultimate, VPS Avenger, Gig Performer
IK loud MTMs, Motu M4, DT 990 pro, AKG702, Macbook pro M1
T
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
T

Cheers,

HZ

Agreed. We’ve seen companies with standalone like VSL do it, and companies who use services like Kontakt do it, such as Embertone. I don’t see any reasonable issue preventing people from offering demos for their products, especially at these price points.

I’d say very few people are inclined to spend this kind of money if there’s no way to try it and no way to return it, especially after buying a few stinkers that have great demos but limited playability.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,173
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission