2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
52 members (Chompoo, CountSmith, Carey, AJB, AndreaH, 80k, astrotoy, AprilE, 12 invisible), 3,728 guests, and 272 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
N
OP Online Content
N
Just came across this vst, the Dorian Marko piano by Auddict, set to release on the 27th:

14 velocity layers, (7 una corda layers), adjustable sympathetic resonance, hammer noises, releases, three mic positions.

"Recorded and brought to life by a professional virtuoso pianist who knows exactly how a piano should feel and sound. Rest assured, this sounds and plays like the real deal." Whatever that means

The claim of being "the most realistic piano VST" is as usual, likely to be outlandish. But I have to say, the couple of demos so far sounds really nice. In particular the quiet parts sound pretty legit, and that's a part I feel libraries often feel at or skip over in demos. They say they "put extra care to ensure we get all the fine-grades of the low velocities." 14 velocity layers seems a little low for that, but after testing the Galaxy Vintage D with 13 layers I know that you can make a smooth library without resorting to modeling or VSL levels of overkill.

Just thought it might be one to watch.

thank you for the info. i think it will be hard to place another steinway d. the level of the already existing vsts is already very high.

Roland RD 2000, Casio PX S3100, AKX10, iLoud MTM
VSL,Noire,Grandeur, BecDig,Ptq7.5,Rav275, etc.

C
C
Agreed, Klausi.

I think companies are on a hiding to nothing if they enter the piano vst market with a Steinway D!

N
OP Online Content
N
Originally Posted by klausi6
thank you for the info. i think it will be hard to place another steinway d. the level of the already existing vsts is already very high.

For some users the presence of una corda might be enough to interest. The VSL Steinway is eminently playable once you get the velocity curve down, but I personally don't like the sound of piano itself all that much. This sounds like it might be somewhere between the VSL and Embertone tone wise, which I'd love. But we'll see.

D
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
D
Originally Posted by napilopez
For some users the presence of una corda might be enough to interest.
Like me, haha. But what I don't understand is, is it 14 layers counting una corda (7+7), or 14 without +7 with una corda =21 layers in total? If it's the latter, then that's a force to be reckoned with, along side older Steinways like the Ivory II instruments.

N
OP Online Content
N
Originally Posted by David Lai
For some users the presence of una corda might be enough to interest.
Like me, haha. But what I don't understand is, is it 14 layers counting una corda (7+7), or 14 without +7 with una corda =21 layers in total? If it's the latter, then that's a force to be reckoned with, along side older Steinways like the Ivory II instruments.

That would be 21 total!

I've come to realize that I don't care that much if the same model piano has been sampled multiple times; it's really so much more about the character of the individual VST, both in it's sampling process and the characteristics of the physical instrument itself.

For instance, I'm ambivalent about both the Noire and Garritan CFX, only using them occasionally, and I've always said I don't like the sound of the CFX as piano all that much. But now VSL CFX has become my most used VST of them all -- and I own all the VSL pianos.

D
D
I've come to realize that I don't care that much if the same model piano has been sampled multiple times; it's really so much more about the character of the individual VST, both in it's sampling process and the characteristics of the physical instrument itself.

That's for sure. I mean, I give my pianos out for free, and it's been interesting seeing how marketing, the instrument itself, and sampling technique are valued by the consumer end product. It seems like this guy has some piano chops, and I'm beginning to think that the playability of a VST is somewhat related to the abilities of those who test them. Hoping the instrument is great.

BTW, its uncanny that a guy with a name so similar to mine actually makes piano libraries like I do. I was freaked out when I saw this.

Last edited by Dore; 05/20/22 01:56 PM.

1928 Mason & Hamlin Model A
You can play it as a free VI along with my Fazioli F308 library HERE
Buy me a coffee if you like it.
E
Online Content
E
Originally Posted by Dore

That's for sure. I mean, I give my pianos out for free, and it's been interesting seeing how marketing, the instrument itself, and sampling technique are valued by the consumer end product. It seems like this guy has some piano chops, and I'm beginning to think that the playability of a VST is somewhat related to the abilities of those who test them. Hoping the instrument is great.

BTW, its uncanny that a guy with a name so similar to mine actually makes piano libraries like I do. I was freaked out when I saw this.

Dore, You need to unite. =)

VSL Steinway D-274, Pianoteq 7, Ravenscroft 275
D
D
I'm probably outclassed. But I guess we'll see when the library is released.

1928 Mason & Hamlin Model A
You can play it as a free VI along with my Fazioli F308 library HERE
Buy me a coffee if you like it.
J
J
I'm beginning to think that the playability of a VST is somewhat related to the abilities of those who test them.

agree - this is one of the most important elements with any instrument, real or virtual

N
OP Online Content
N
Originally Posted by jackopiano
I'm beginning to think that the playability of a VST is somewhat related to the abilities of those who test them.

agree - this is one of the most important elements with any instrument, real or virtual

For sure. The Skybox audio piano used a robot for sampling, like VSL, yet it's not as playable as many libraries that were made purely by touch.

1000 Post Club Member
Online Content
1000 Post Club Member
Speaking about a robot for sampling - what about PNOMation OT?
All you need to do is write MIDI files.
Half-pedaling, re-pedaling, catch pedaling can be automated with its pedal pusher module.
The only manual hack required would be to find a way to press the una corda pedal (place a heavy object on it?) during una corda sampling.

Wise men speak because they have something to say; Fools because they have to say something. (falsely attributed to Plato)
Vlad,
Adult beginner
D
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
D
Well, we shall see. I'm looking forward to some classical demos, ETC. If the piano can make articulate phrasings in Bach / Mozart / one of them from that crowd, then that's indeed a force to consider. smile

H
1000 Post Club Member
Online Content
1000 Post Club Member
H
Well, we shall see. I'm looking forward to some classical demos, ETC. If the piano can make articulate phrasings in Bach / Mozart / one of them from that crowd, then that's indeed a force to consider. smile

😄 David, these days you seem to be all into "Forces to Consider and/or to be Reckoned With" 😉.

Cheers and may the Forces be with us,

Hz

D
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
D
Originally Posted by HZPiano

😄 David, these days you seem to be all into "Forces to Consider and/or to be Reckoned With" 😉.

Cheers and may the Forces be with us,

Hz

Haha, HZ! For some reason I forced these expressions on ya? LOL. There, I said it again with Force. smile

Oops, sorry...

Anyway, I'm looking forward to more reports on this VST, to see if they can get my wallet interested... I've commented on their video and the replies were fast.

H
1000 Post Club Member
Online Content
1000 Post Club Member
H
Haha, HZ! For some reason I forced these expressions on ya? LOL. There, I said it again with Force. smile

Oops, sorry...

😄

HZ

T
T
Thanks for the link! Anyone else finds it super weird that the music and the playing do not match? And I hope that the Novation Launchkey 49 was not the reference for calibrating the velocity response of the library ;-)

Fatar Studio 900, Galaxy Vintage D, Zimmermann Silent Piano made by C. Bechstein
http://www.gentlerain.de
D
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
D
Originally Posted by Thomas B
And I hope that the Novation Launchkey 49 was not the reference for calibrating the velocity response of the library ;-)
Oh I know, that would be quite a disaster if it were the case. smile

N
OP Online Content
N
There's always something. No half pedaling, it turns out. Though they'd consider it as a future upgrade.

A little surprising for something that's claiming to be a top tier piano library in 2022. I know half pedaling isn't a big deal to some people, but it's just something supported by my most of the top libraries for playability.

D
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
D
There's always something. No half pedaling, it turns out. Though they'd consider it as a future upgrade.

A little surprising for something that's claiming to be a top tier piano library in 2022. I know half pedaling isn't a big deal to some people, but it's just something supported by my most of the top libraries for playability.

Well, that means... the waiting continues. Thanks for the report! smile

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Piano World 

Link Copied to Clipboard
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
Piano Buyer - Read the Articles, Explore the website
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Learn to Burn!
by Dfrankjazz - 07/01/22 12:36 AM
Summer school in UK
by FarmGirl - 06/30/22 11:12 PM
Recommended tech in NYC?
by skern49 - 06/30/22 07:39 PM
UEFI / BIOS settings regarding CPU
by David Lai - 06/30/22 07:26 PM
When you play the real Rhodes...
by Rhodes74 - 06/30/22 06:23 PM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
What's Hot!!
FREE June Newsletter is Here!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
-------------------
Music Store Going Out of Business Sale!
---------------------
Mr. PianoWorld's Original Composition
---------------------
Sell Your Piano on our world famous Piano Forums!
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics213,754
Posts3,204,571
Members105,685
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | MapleStreetMusicShop.com - Our store in Cornish Maine

© copyright 1997 - 2022 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission