2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
62 members (AndyOnThePiano2, benkeys, brennbaer, APianistHasNoName, AlkansBookcase, Charles Cohen, BillS728, 12 invisible), 1,867 guests, and 322 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by ShiroKuro
Thanks for the responses so far!

Re DIYing it, I wouldn't try it myself either. What would you use to cut the binding off? I would think that step is probably the most important one.

The book I have is just over 200 pages, so I would guess you'd need a really good cutter to cut the binding off.
I forgot about that step... well when I wrote that I was talking about IMSLP and whatever.

Originally Posted by dogperson
Originally Posted by probably blue
I want to do this... DIY way... 😆

Maybe buy a pack of hole punches, 3D print and holder for each in the correct spots? Buy a pack of spiral things?

99% sure it will work

A printing company will do it for about $4.00. Otherwise, you will need equipment that will punch the holes in the correct places. I would not attempt it without this.
Seems fine in my mind. Of course nobody would attempt this.

Last edited by probably blue; 05/19/22 06:21 PM.
D
dmd Offline
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
D
If you have so many books that it becomes cost effective to purchase binding equipment .... you are buying too many books.

LOL ....

Don

Kawai MP7SE, On Stage KS7350 keyboard stand, KRK Classic 5 powered monitors, SennHeiser HD 559 Headphones
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by dmd
you are buying too many books.

Can one have too many piano books? Is this even possible?

Playing the piano is learning to create, playfully and deeply seriously, our own music in the world.
... feeling like the pianist on the Titanic ...
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Animisha
Originally Posted by dmd

Can one have too many piano books? Is this even possible?
No! Impossible!

L
500 Post Club Member
Online Content
500 Post Club Member
L
I just looked at my music books to see what and how many would be good candidates for this process and realized a down side - being able to identify the title by looking at the spines. How's that working for folks who have had a lot of them done this way?

Last edited by lilypad; 05/20/22 03:08 PM.

Yamaha DGX500
Yamaha CLP-635

My other hobby - gardening for an audience. https://naturescaping.org/the-gardens/entrance-garden/
S
PW Gold Subscriber
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
PW Gold Subscriber
S
Hi
I don’t have very many to look through, so I just keep them in alphabetical order by composer
I do like the idea of using something like these Magazine file with the closed side labeled

8000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
8000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by dmd

I resemble that remark.... whome

Re lilypad's comment, I do like being able to see the title on the spine. Although some books are thin enough that there's not writing on the spine, so it's sort of hit or miss in that regard.

Also, I have a lot of books that I don't really need to have this ring type binding, like score collections by a particular artist. Generally if I'm playing something from a book, I copy it and eventually switch to PDF and play from my iPad.

The book I had made into a ring-bound book is about jazz chords and I want to use it more as a reference book. The other books I would probably have done like this are also instructional books like the Tim Richards jazz books, which are all kind thick and so don't stay open easily.

BTW this has me curious, maybe I'll count my music books this evening.... Because I really know how to have a good time! grin

Started piano June 1999.
Proud owner of a Yamaha C2

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
8000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
8000 Post Club Member
By the way, this is one of the shelves where I keep music books (this photo is a few years old, there are more books there now).

[Linked Image]

I also have a more traditionally shaped bookshelf right next to my piano, where I keep stuff I'm working on currently. And then in my home office I have another shelf with music books on it.

And full disclosure, they're not organized alphabetically or anything like that, they're sort of loosely organized by genre.... key word being loose.

My husband always laughs at me when I'm trying to find the score for something I know I have, and I end up pulling every book I own off of its shelf and going crazy because I can't find it but I know I own it.... grin

Started piano June 1999.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
F
1000 Post Club Member
Online Content
1000 Post Club Member
F
That's where keeping my music on a tablet really changed my life.

Suddenly I could actually find stuff without a lot of "flip flip flip I know it's in this pile... flip flip flip" and then finding out that it's actually in the other pile....

Now I enter (part of) the title and blammo! Start playing...

If you're a zombie and you know it, bite your friend!
We got both kinds of music: Country and Western!
Casio Celviano AP-650
L
500 Post Club Member
Online Content
500 Post Club Member
L
Hi
I don’t have very many to look through, so I just keep them in alphabetical order by composer
I do like the idea of using something like these Magazine file with the closed side labeled

I like the magazine files for keeping books upright. Before I started using those, if I pulled out a thick book, the neighboring books would collapse inward, especially if one of the neighboring books was a thick wire bound fake book.

Yamaha DGX500
Yamaha CLP-635

My other hobby - gardening for an audience. https://naturescaping.org/the-gardens/entrance-garden/
8000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
8000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by FrankCox
That's where keeping my music on a tablet really changed my life.

I have not digitized all of my scores. I only turn a score into a PDF when I decide to play it. So between scores I digitize as needed, and the scores I now buy online (and never buy a paper version, my iPad score collection is growing, but I still have a lot of paper scores.

In my case, I actually have a lot of individual sheets (not in a book). In addition to things I've bought as an individual piece (pre-PDF days), I have tons of individual scores from when we moved back to the US. I was trying to reduce the amount of stuff that had to be shipped (and this was before it was possible to play from a tablet). And I had been collecting piano magazines, as well of score books of course. So I went through and decided which ones I wanted to keep as an entire book, and for ones where I didn't want the whole book, and esp. for magazines where the scores were all I wanted, I went through and ruthless cut out the scores I wanted to keep and got rid of the rest.

Anything where I can read the spine is quickly found, but usually, when I can't find something, it's an individual score sandwiched in between something.

Started piano June 1999.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
8000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
8000 Post Club Member
Ok, I counted. I have over 130 score books. This does not include "folios" which are only one piece (I don't know what to call those, it used to be such a common way to buy a score, do they even sell them like that any more?). It would be really hard to count those, but I bet I easily have close to 100 individual scores (on paper) as well. This also doesn't include anything I've purchased as a digital score.

You might say I have a score addic... well, we don't need labels here though, do we?

whome

Started piano June 1999.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
S
PW Gold Subscriber
PW Gold Subscriber
S
Originally Posted by ShiroKuro
Ok, I counted. I have over 130 score books. This does not include "folios" which are only one piece (I don't know what to call those, it used to be such a common way to buy a score, do they even sell them like that any more?). It would be really hard to count those, but I bet I easily have close to 100 individual scores (on paper) as well. This also doesn't include anything I've purchased as a digital score.

You might say I have a score addic... well, we don't need labels here though, do we?

whome

You might be a score epicurean 😊

8000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
8000 Post Club Member

I like the sound of that much better!
smile

Started piano June 1999.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
A
A
I am a little late to the party here, but was inspired by this thread and just picked up my newly spiral-bound copy ($4.25 at Staples) of a book which had been driving me nuts. It is SO much better and I can't wait to smoothly and gracefully grin turn the pages (previously I was nearly driven to flinging it across the room).

Thanks for the nudge, ShiroKuro!

Gold Subscriber
Gold Subscriber

Score one for dogperson!

Cheers!

BruceD
- - - - -
Estonia 190
A
A
Hopefully one day, if / when I have the space & money, I'll be able to accumulate such a library! Reminds me of this photo - assuming they are all scores - I wonder how many books / pages of music is (was) stored on those shelves laugh

[img]http://imgur.com/a/N2xzlOh[/img]

Last edited by alexii; 05/24/22 03:57 AM.
A
A
Second attempt, hopefully this one works..

[Linked Image]

8000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
8000 Post Club Member
Adagiette, glad you got one too! The ring binding is sooo much better!

Alexii , what a great photo!

Started piano June 1999.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,223
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission