2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
89 members (anamnesis, accordeur, 80k, bob@pei, 36251, AJB, Animisha, busa, 17 invisible), 4,494 guests, and 296 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
OP Online Content
Originally Posted by ChristoVanRensburg
Personally if I have to talk about the great composers that you've mentioned I would like a program dedicated to any one of them including Rachmaninov, but for me the program would have include at least one major set of variations/sonata.

I tend to like extended forms over short pieces, although I like both. But I need the drama, structure, unity and whatever else comes with something like a Sonata. With Brahms for example a recital which includes either of the first two Sonatas (I'm not such a fan of the third) would be great with whatever other Brahms fillers, but a whole recital with for instance Op. 117, 118 and 119 would drive me mad.
Yes. I also don't like a recital with a long string of only shorter pieces and most pianists don't plan a program like that. Perhaps that's why I enjoyed but was not thrilled by the performance of all 24 Rach Preludes. The pianist was terrific but not quite as good/interesting as Pletnev.

OP Online Content
Originally Posted by WhoDwaldi
Couperin, Haydn, Grieg, Webern
I think few would consider any of these, with the possible exception of Haydn, great composers for the piano. Excellent perhaps but IMO not great.

An all Haydn program might be OK as long as it was not composed only of sonatas. But since Haydn is considered somewhat easier than most other great composers I doubt any major pianist would program an entire recital of his works.

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Well, Grieg was a great miniaturist, which would be tiresome for long stretches of programming.

Late Haydn sonatas are wonderful, along with the Variations in F Minor and the Fantasy in C Major. Again, hard to consider a whole recital.

Really, I don't like the entire All-So&So programming gimmick. I'd rather hear more variety. The All-This-or-That album seems to sell, though. Like all the Chopin Etudes, all the Beethoven Sonatas, etc.

WhoDwaldi
Howard (by Kawai) 5' 10"
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
For some composers, doing a piano trio or lieder on the same program as solo piano works would be nice, but marshaling such forces beyond certain festivals or concert series would be difficult, and there's the ego thing. grin

WhoDwaldi
Howard (by Kawai) 5' 10"
B
B
Really, I don't like the entire All-So&So programming gimmick. I'd rather hear more variety. The All-This-or-That album seems to sell, though. Like all the Chopin Etudes, all the Beethoven Sonatas, etc.
Actually, the "concept album" CD seems to be all the rage now (never knew of classical musicians flying into a rage, but there it is.......).

They contain a bit of this and a bit of that: often just a movement of a suite or sonata, followed by another movement from something else, followed by something else from 400 years later and so on. Ligeti rubbing shoulders with Couperin, Carreño with Kaprálová, Adés with Chopin, Piazzolla with Scarlatti, ending with a Bach/Busoni chorale prelude. Etc. Sometimes, there's a 'theme', but usually not. Like 20 composers on one CD, meant to be listened to from beginning to end without a break, and you wake up a better person. Or not.

In fact, the pianists even program exactly the same sequence in the concert hall as on their concept CD - check out Jeremy Denk, Vikíngur Ólafsson, among several others.

At least, if you find you don't like a piece - say, Webern's Op.27 wink - you only have to wait a few minutes to hear something you do like (like Aeolian Harp).........

"I don't play accurately - anyone can play accurately - but I play with wonderful expression. As far as the piano is concerned, sentiment is my forte. I keep science for Life."
D
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
D
Originally Posted by pianoloverus
Couperin, Haydn, Grieg, Webern
I think few would consider any of these, with the possible exception of Haydn, great composers for the piano. Excellent perhaps but IMO not great.

An all Haydn program might be OK as long as it was not composed only of sonatas. But since Haydn is considered somewhat easier than most other great composers I doubt any major pianist would program an entire recital of his works.

Of course Haydn is a great composer for the piano. He seems to have considerable popularity in London at the moment. I find an all-Haydn programme immensely attractive.

Earlier this year Sir Andras Schiff held a "Haydn Festival" at the Wigmore Hall. Six concerts on six successive evenings, Monday to Saturday. All Haydn - principally sonatas and piano trios, plus the F-minor variations, and some of the English Canzonettas. All on period instruments. This was one of my highlights of the musical year. The concerts were well attended.

Then on 9 July the pianist Roman Rabinovich will play three all-Haydn concerts, again at the Wigmore. Morning - a sonata, a quartet and a piano trio. Afternoon - English Canzonettas. Evening - recital with five sonatas. And two days previously he will play an all-Haydn recital at the Cobbe Collection.

7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
I’ve said it here before, and I’ll say again: All-Scarlatti recitals can work. I page-turned for Lee Luvisi a few years back when he did an all-Scarlatti recital. It was a bit on the short side, but recitals don’t need to be an hour and a half, especially when they’re free admission. It was a total of 14 sonatas.

I’ll need to go to the University of Louisville music library and see if I can dig up the specific program, because I don’t remember it, but he said he has done all-Scarlatti programs before, and the most common comment he’d get afterward was “I never expected to enjoy an all-Scarlatti recital, but that was incredible!”

As much as I am an Alkan fan, as I get older, I have a harder and harder time constructing an all-Alkan program that would be really effective.

Imagine an all-Felix Mendelssohn program… I don’t think I would enjoy that.

OP Online Content
Originally Posted by Orange Soda King
I’ve said it here before, and I’ll say again: All-Scarlatti recitals can work. I page-turned for Lee Luvisi a few years back when he did an all-Scarlatti recital. It was a bit on the short side, but recitals don’t need to be an hour and a half, especially when they’re free admission. It was a total of 14 sonatas.
I heard Maria Tipo play 12 Scarlatti Sonatas as the second half of a recital. The first half was the four Chopin Ballades(which I don't like grouped together). I don't know how long Luvisi's recital was but unless he played a lot of the slower sonatas, my guess is was around one hour. So for me that's more like a 3/4 recital. I do think I could love 14 Scarlatti Sonatas but I don't think I want to hear closer to 20 although I may have listened to some of the very long Scarlatti Youtube marathon recordings(not recitals) there like this one:

Here is the link to the Tipo recital. I can't believe this was 31 years ago. I see that the 12 Sonatas took around 50 minutes, so my earlier estimate of 24 sonatas seems too high as that would be around 100 minutes...much longer than most recitals these days.

B
BDB Offline
B
I was looking through my collection of recitals that I attended, and one of them was an entire concert of Soler sonatas played by Joaquin Nin-Culmell.

Of course, the big questions are: how long is the recital, and much did the composer write? I could definitely sit through a recital of the complete piano work of Alban Berg, for instance. (The recital where I did hear it also had Prokofiev and Hindemith, but that was a long time ago, and there may have been other music as well. I have attended a lot of recitals before and since.)

Semipro Tech
C
C
For some composers, doing a piano trio or lieder on the same program as solo piano works would be nice, but marshaling such forces beyond certain festivals or concert series would be difficult, and there's the ego thing. grin

You're talking my language. Although it's happened to a degree, I wish we could more often see a return to the 19 Century model of variety programs especially with a mix like you are suggesting.

OP Online Content
For some composers, doing a piano trio or lieder on the same program as solo piano works would be nice...
Nice, but that would be different from an all solo piano recital that is the thread topic. But I do think that some composers that might not work so well in an all solo piano recital could work well by introducing other genres by the same composer.

B
B
Originally Posted by pianoloverus
For some composers, doing a piano trio or lieder on the same program as solo piano works would be nice...
Nice, but that would be different from an all solo piano recital that is the thread topic. But I do think that some composers that might not work so well in an all solo piano recital could work well by introducing other genres by the same composer.
Mendelssohn works very well like this.

In fact, that's the most likely way one would hear a concert pianist play some of his Songs without Words, in the context of a Mendelssohn program including his chamber music (especially the wonderful Piano Trio No.1) and songs. And not a lot of people know that there's a beautiful lonesome Lied ohne Worte for cello & piano:

"I don't play accurately - anyone can play accurately - but I play with wonderful expression. As far as the piano is concerned, sentiment is my forte. I keep science for Life."
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Brendan, Kreisler 

Link Copied to Clipboard
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
Piano Buyer - Read the Articles, Explore the website
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Kawai Novus 10S New owner
by Ron A - 07/05/22 11:33 AM
Kurzweil k2700
by Ivan504 - 07/05/22 11:30 AM
Alan Belkin on musical salience - an aesthetic concept
by indigo_dave - 07/05/22 11:18 AM
Help me change how I think about memorizing
by ShiroKuro - 07/05/22 11:05 AM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
What's Hot!!
FREE June Newsletter is Here!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
-------------------
Music Store Going Out of Business Sale!
---------------------
Mr. PianoWorld's Original Composition
---------------------
Sell Your Piano on our world famous Piano Forums!
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics213,814
Posts3,205,545
Members105,725
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | MapleStreetMusicShop.com - Our store in Cornish Maine

© copyright 1997 - 2022 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission