2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
43 members (DDobs, anotherscott, 80k, David B, AndreaH, Catlady, AprilE, ameliaward1994, 10 invisible), 5,545 guests, and 258 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#3217524 05/19/22 09:50 AM
Z
zxac Offline OP
OP Offline
Z
Hi, I have a Schwander action in a 5' challen (60's) baby grand with thick (0.125) rounded edge keytops (almost forming a "V" shape form the top). I was planning to replace them with normal keytops since i found it to be annoying and a tech tool me it was not original. But after a closer look, I dont see any sign of filling/work etc. They fit almost too perfectly. I cannot find a picture of these by lack of proper search terms.. How do we call these keytops and can they be originals on these actions ?!. Thanks

zxac #3217550 05/19/22 10:39 AM
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Hello, and welcome to Piano World!

I'm not sure, but if I read your thread correctly, you are referring to the white key-tops, correct? If so, and there is a 'V" shape, it sounds like the key-tops have a LOT of wear, and this is what I call "cupping". It's a symptom of wear and a lot of playing over the years. If this is the case, I'm thinking a new set of keytops is what you need.

If this is not correct, I'm not exactly sure what you are talking about. You might post your thread on the "Piano Technicians Forum" here on PW, which is one of the many sub-forums here. http://forum.pianoworld.com/ubbthreads.php/forums/3/1/piano-tuner-technicians-forum.html

Good luck!

Rick

Piano enthusiast and amateur musician: "Treat others the way you would like to be treated". Yamaha C7. YouTube Channel
zxac #3217565 05/19/22 11:29 AM
Z
zxac Offline OP
OP Offline
Z
Here !

[img]https://ibb.co/xYqG7bJ[/img]

https://ibb.co/xYqG7bJ

All exactly the same, so not wear

Last edited by zxac; 05/19/22 11:32 AM.
zxac #3217573 05/19/22 12:20 PM
Originally Posted by zxac
Here !

Okay... the pic is worth more than a 1000 words. smile

That said, boy was I wrong initially. Secondly, that is something I've never seen before on a piano key-top, but my experience is limited. That's a new one on me. Seems to me it might be some kind of specialized customization on the front edges of the key-tops. Either way, I don't think it'd be considered normal (to me at least).

Maybe someone with a lot more knowledge and experience will chime in.

Rick

Piano enthusiast and amateur musician: "Treat others the way you would like to be treated". Yamaha C7. YouTube Channel
zxac #3217579 05/19/22 12:48 PM
W
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
W
I'd suggest you ask on the UK Forum. Someone there may know about tapered keytops. https://www.piano-tuners.org/piano-forums/. How much are you prepared to spend on replacing them?

Ian Russell
Schiedmayer & Soehne, 1925 Model 14, 140cm
Ibach, 1905 F-IV, 235cm
zxac #3217580 05/19/22 12:49 PM
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by zxac
Here !

Almost seems like they are trying to make it look like a black key on the sides! Hopefully experts will come and help. 😁

zxac #3217588 05/19/22 01:03 PM
Z
zxac Offline OP
OP Offline
Z

zxac #3217595 05/19/22 01:22 PM
W
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
W
The first images made it look as if the keys themselves were tapered. Not so the second ones. Must be a reason lurking somewhere.

Ian Russell
Schiedmayer & Soehne, 1925 Model 14, 140cm
Ibach, 1905 F-IV, 235cm
Originally Posted by Withindale
The first images made it look as if the keys themselves were tapered. Not so the second ones. Must be a reason lurking somewhere.

Just throwing this out there, but is it possible the key-tops were replaced, and had sharp edges front and sides, and the tech/rebuilder decided to be creative with their attempt to get rid of the sharp edges?

Otherwise, I can't imagine a logical purpose for that key-top shape. It also looks like something that would not feel normal while playing, at least to me.

Looking forward to what the pros here have to say...

Rick

zxac #3217607 05/19/22 02:11 PM
G
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
G
I'm not a pro, but my guess is that this is an attempt by the keytop manufacturer to create a profile that is "easier" to play by feel. The bevel at the end of the keys creates more of a tactile separation between one white key from its neighbors, so when you run your fingers over them, you have more feedback as to whether you are directly on top of a key, mispositioned a little, or in a valley between two keys. On a flat-profile keyboard, it would arguably be harder to tell. And presumably it's a graded bevel because you don't need that feedback deep into the whites because the sharps are there to serve that purpose.

I have noticed on my pianos that the keytops have different bevel profiles, one more rounded, one more flat. I assume each manufacturer has their own preference...

[Linked Image][Linked Image]

Bosendorfer D214VC ENPro
Past: Yamaha P-85, P-105, CP50, Kawai MP11, Kawai NV-10
zxac #3217610 05/19/22 02:14 PM
Z
zxac Offline OP
OP Offline
Z
Just throwing this out there, but is it possible the key-tops were replaced, and had sharp edges front and sides, and the tech/rebuilder decided to be creative with their attempt to get rid of the sharp edges?

I think that would be too much work with not enough regularity/precision to look good. They are all identical (perfect) and thicker than normal (right?) hence designed for this purpose (?).
If they are original they will probably stay.

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Gombessa
I'm not a pro, but my guess is that this is an attempt by the keytop manufacturer to create a profile that is "easier" to play by feel. The bevel at the end of the keys creates more of a tactile separation between one white key from its neighbors, so when you run your fingers over them, you have more feedback as to whether you are directly on top of a key, mispositioned a little, or in a valley between two keys. On a flat-profile keyboard, it would arguably be harder to tell. And presumably it's a graded bevel because you don't need that feedback deep into the whites because the sharps are there to serve that purpose.

I have noticed on my pianos that the keytops have different bevel profiles, one more rounded, one more flat. I assume each manufacturer has their own preference...

Probably correct. 😁

Z
zxac Offline OP
OP Offline
Z
Originally Posted by Withindale
I'd suggest you ask on the UK Forum. Someone there may know about tapered keytops. https://www.piano-tuners.org/piano-forums/. How much are you prepared to spend on replacing them?

50$ + 2 week-ends ?! I do everything on that old thing! The tech was the piano-mover/tech. "Great" piano BTW, I love it. Was terrible at first, never regulated(cannot play soft etc, bright..) Almost all done now.

Moderated by  Ken Knapp, Piano World 

Link Copied to Clipboard
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
Piano Buyer - Read the Articles, Explore the website
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
KAWAI ES-100 upgrade worth it in my situation?
by Ciferz - 07/03/22 08:37 PM
Back to the Piano
by DDobs - 07/03/22 05:36 PM
Beginner digital piano buying advice
by pianist2022 - 07/03/22 02:10 PM
Next Repertoire Pieces for my Student?
by RepertoireHunter - 07/03/22 01:58 PM
Piano bench too uncomfortable
by lorez - 07/03/22 11:10 AM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
What's Hot!!
FREE June Newsletter is Here!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
-------------------
Music Store Going Out of Business Sale!
---------------------
Mr. PianoWorld's Original Composition
---------------------
Sell Your Piano on our world famous Piano Forums!
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics213,794
Posts3,205,229
Members105,710
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | MapleStreetMusicShop.com - Our store in Cornish Maine

© copyright 1997 - 2022 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission