2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
29 members (crab89, CraiginNZ, bwv543, Cominut, Colin Miles, Andre Fadel, 10 invisible), 1,231 guests, and 278 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
S
OP Offline
S
Hello all! Hope all you are having a great day!

I am checking an used Yamaha baby grand G2 in late 1980s or early 1990s. Here is a recording of its sounds. There are some noise when the key is pressed. Usually what's reason? How fixable is the issue? And roughly how costly is it?

I will find a piano technician to check it in person. However, it's also great to get some hints from crowd wisdom :-) Thanks all!

Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Welcome to Piano World!

The video was short, but I turned the volume up on my PC speakers and listened intently several times. The tone of the notes didn't sound too bad, and not way out of tune, although the unisons could certainly used some "cleaning up".

As to the noise you mentioned, I did hear a "key noise" that I'm not used to hearing. In fact, it almost sounded similar to the key noise you'd hear on a digital piano, while playing the piano with the power not turned on. Kind of a thud or bumping sound.

A qualified tech could probably narrow it down for you, and it could be as simple as needing a good regulation and some lubrication.

The thing about subtle key noises, is that you don't often hear them when playing the piano normally; they only seem to manifest themselves when pecking at the individual keys, like you did in the video.

I'm sure you will get more comments from the pros here.

Good luck!

Rick

Piano enthusiast and amateur musician: "Treat others the way you would like to be treated". Yamaha C7. YouTube Channel
S
OP Offline
S
Thanks Rick for the reply! The piano has been mostly unused and surely un-tuned for years. So I am expecting that a tuning is necessary.

I tried a few different Yahama pianos, and this one has the loudest key noise. So I posted it here and wanna some additional ears to make sure it's not a horrible issue :-) Thanks!

Originally Posted by Rickster
Welcome to Piano World!

The video was short, but I turned the volume up on my PC speakers and listened intently several times. The tone of the notes didn't sound too bad, and not way out of tune, although the unisons could certainly used some "cleaning up".

As to the noise you mentioned, I did hear a "key noise" that I'm not used to hearing. In fact, it almost sounded similar to the key noise you'd hear on a digital piano, while playing the piano with the power not turned on. Kind of a thud or bumping sound.

A qualified tech could probably narrow it down for you, and it could be as simple as needing a good regulation and some lubrication.

The thing about subtle key noises, is that you don't often hear them when playing the piano normally; they only seem to manifest themselves when pecking at the individual keys, like you did in the video.

Good luck!

Rick

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Hi Sheng123, welcome to PW!

My piano has somewhat that sound when playing staccato. Quieter though, I think itโ€™s more normal.

I would guess some regulation would help-as Rickster said.
It is fixable though!
Not sure how much regulation costs, just wait for the others to reply!

I hope you get a good piano ๐Ÿ˜ƒ

Last edited by probably blue; 05/17/22 06:26 PM.
S
OP Offline
S
Originally Posted by probably blue
Hi Sheng123, welcome to PW!

My piano has somewhat that sound when playing staccato. Quieter though, I think itโ€™s more normal.

I would guess some regulation would help-as Rickster said.
It is fixable though!
Not sure how much regulation costs, just wait for the others to reply!

I hope you get a good piano ๐Ÿ˜ƒ

Thanks for your input :-)

N
N W Offline
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
N
I suggest you take off the fall and see if it still does it.
Nick

Nick, ageing piano technician
S
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
S
If it's not a low fallboard, here are a couple of other things to check:

1. The key upstop rail- the long, skinny piece of wood lying across the keys just behind the fronts. Those nuts often loosen up.
2. The hammer rest rail (if this piano has one, can't remember). One of the things I do on every grand with a hammer rest rail (as opposed to individual cushions like a Steinway) is to poke a long, thin flat blade screwdriver down between the strings and check the nuts. More often than not, at least one needs to be tightened. If the slot is at just the wrong angle, you may have to pull the action. Very common source of noise.

If the piano was regulated and the keys set a little too high, they can rebound against exposed wood at the back of the fallboard (ask me how I know that...). But since the average home-use grand has never seen a regulation, it's less likely. I'm betting on the hammer rest rail if it has one. Other possibilities are loose hammer flange screws or loose center pins, but I rarely see them that loose on a Yamaha. Maybe on a Sammick though, if they're not seized...

S
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
S
Sorry, one other possibility: loose hammer heads. Not extremely likely with a Yamaha of this age, but it is possible.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
It sounds like the noise comes when the key comes back UP vs when it bottoms, but it's really hard to tell at the speed you were playing and with such a short sample. Can you make another playing at about 1/3 the speed you were playing? Could help us help you.

Andrew Kraus, Pianist
Educated Amateur Tuner/Technician
I Make Music that Lifts People Up & Brings Them Together
Rockville, MD USA
www.AndrewKraus.com
www.YouTube.com/RockvillePianoGuy
Twitter at @IAmAPianist

1929 Steinert 6'10" (Close copy of New York S&S "B")
S
OP Offline
S
Originally Posted by Seeker
It sounds like the noise comes when the key comes back UP vs when it bottoms, but it's really hard to tell at the speed you were playing and with such a short sample. Can you make another playing at about 1/3 the speed you were playing? Could help us help you.
Originally Posted by Rickster
Welcome to Piano World!

Good luck!

Rick

I uploaded a long version here

Unfortunately I cannot access the piano now to play it slowly. Instead, I edited the video to be slow.... here is the slow version of the same video if it helps

Thanks!

P
7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
P
Pretty sure Scott nailed it. Either loose hammer "rest" rail or loose key upstop rail. Neither is a big deal. However it indicates that the piano has been sitting around unused and unserviced for a long time...probably.

Peter Grey Piano Doctor

Peter W. Grey, RPT
New Hampshire Seacoast
www.seacoastpianodoctor.com
pianodoctor57@gmail.com
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PK0T7_I_nV8
S
OP Offline
S
Originally Posted by P W Grey
Pretty sure Scott nailed it. Either loose hammer "rest" rail or loose key upstop rail. Neither is a big deal. However it indicates that the piano has been sitting around unused and unserviced for a long time...probably.

Peter Grey Piano Doctor

Thanks Peter for taking a look! You are absolutely correct about the usage and maintenance. It's unused and unserviced for quite a while

B
BDB Offline
B
I cannot hear exactly what noises you are talking about, but clicks tend to come from poorly glued hammers or cracked center pin joints. Rattles come from loose rails, which can be key stop, damper stop, let-off button rails (not on Yamahas and other pianos without those rails) or hammer rails. Knocks come from poor bedding of the keyframe, which is probably the most difficult thing to fix. But there are always other causes, like junk that has fallen into the action.

Semipro Tech
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Adding to BDB's most recent post to the OP, could it be hard knuckles?
To me, the action sounds like it's really dried out, like there's no cushion in it.
Could any of that be helped with a ProFelt treatment of the front rail and center pin bushings of the keysticks?
...and, if dryness is an issue, we'd certainly want to check the bridge pins, torque on the tuning pins, sound board for cracks?.
Where and under what conditions was this instrument stored?
Don't know what your (OP) budget is, but this instrument seems like it's at the point where some fairly expensive and extensive work would have to be done to make it "whole" again. As it sits, I'm hoping you've got a "great deal" on the pricing.
Not to rain on your parade, just my opinion.

Andrew Kraus, Pianist
Educated Amateur Tuner/Technician
I Make Music that Lifts People Up & Brings Them Together
Rockville, MD USA
www.AndrewKraus.com
www.YouTube.com/RockvillePianoGuy
Twitter at @IAmAPianist

1929 Steinert 6'10" (Close copy of New York S&S "B")
B
BDB Offline
B
The only knuckles that make noise in my experience are knuckles that have gotten wet and the leather dried hard.

Semipro Tech
S
OP Offline
S
Thanks Semipro and Andrew for the input! I will chat with my technician to make sure we do not miss any horrible issues.

N
N W Offline
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
N
Sheng, have you actually taken off the fall yet? Start simple before worrying about the sophisticated stuff.
Nick

Nick, ageing piano technician
W
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
W
The key point in the OP is to find a technician. It would be much better to find one who needs no advice from this forum.

Ian Russell
Schiedmayer & Soehne, 1925 Model 14, 140cm
Ibach, 1905 F-IV, 235cm
W
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
W
If you see what I mean ...

Last edited by Withindale; 05/22/22 10:18 AM. Reason: Duplicate removed.

Ian Russell
Schiedmayer & Soehne, 1925 Model 14, 140cm
Ibach, 1905 F-IV, 235cm
S
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
S
I listened to the slower recording; most notes have noise and few seem quieter. I'd eliminate a few things:

-it's not hard knuckles (which is very unlikely anyway).
-It's not loose hammers (too consistent and unlikely so many would be loose).
-It's not key bedding (we'd probably hear that with loud playing, not medium blows).

Here are my current theories:
1.Garden-variety return noise from old felt throughout the action. I very often hear customers complain about return noise and I have to explain that, yes, you're hearing the sum of all that worn felt. Actions get noisy over time. Some people expect absolute quiet. Older pianos are rarely quiet--they have whooshing dampers, pedal thumps, false beating, non-matching bicords, weird resonances, screeching overtones, you name it. The wippens come down and hit the capstans, the keys hit the back rail cloth, etc.

2. Take a look at how high the hammers are above their cushions at rest. Are they a few millimeters higher (a shanks's thickness), or just above? If they are actually contacting the cushions at rest, it's possible they are striking the wippens as they come back down. If the hammer hits a repetition height adjustment screw it will click. Hammer shanks flex more than you'd think. I often come across older pianos with very low hammers. Never overly high hammers unless someone came along and raised them for some reason, like not enough aftertouch (much easier and cheaper to raise the hammers a bit if the keys are slightly low--raising the keys takes hours of labor).

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Piano World, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,178
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission